PDA

View Full Version : "Wow, why haven't I listened to Social Distortion before?"

Stylie
04-26-2009, 10:25 AM
"Wow, why haven't I listened to Social Distortion before?"

So I was gonna fill out this Pick your five "Top 5 Singers & Bands" on facebook thing, and thought that would be pretty easy. The Offspring as number one, Dexter Holland as number two, Hellbillies (great Norwegian country/rock band which comes from same little town as me) as number three, and...no wait a minute, I actually don't have any more special "favourite" artists or band. So I thought I could check out some right now, and if I like 'em I'll put them in (just to finish it).

You know, I haven't listened constantly to much other than The Offspring now the last/last couple of year(s), because I think The Offspring have their absolute own style and distinctive stamp, unique and own sound. Of course I've heard other songs every now and then, but not any special band. We got Bad Religion, but never cared too much about them either. NOFX's kinda cool, but nothing that blows me away like The Offspring does. The Vandals' cool too, but nope... I like punk rock, but the only band that have blow'n me away, is them. You guys know what I'm saying?

So I just checked out The Offspring's associated acts at Wikipedia, copied the bands name and checked out a couple of songs of each band on youtube, but nope. Nothing special (btw, Alkaline Trio? wtf? How can they be associated with The Offspring?). Then I come to Social Distortion, and thought yeah, maybe they have something special. I always knew this band was the reason for Dexter and Greg starting the band, but never listened to them (I think).

So I checked them out on youtube, and clicked the first song that came up, Don't Take Me For Granted (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdZb2inh4YM&fmt=18). My first thought was something like, huh, kinda special vocalist, the look reminds me a bit of the lead singer of Green Day (look, not singing). Then they began to play - hm, cool verse, and WOW! Nice chorus, damn. I enjoyed listening the whole song, and checked then out the next one - Prison Bound (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVHvU4QYslY&fmt=18). Was a bit surprised about the piano start (read on Wikipedia that their genre is rock; punk rock, alternativ rock, so yeah. They have a bit "wider" music style than The Offspring I guess, not just punk rock? Didn't knew they were this big either, but it seems like they influenced many big bands?), but really beautiful. The song just kept going on beautifully, really really good.

I now knew that this band absolutely have their own, unique style, not just raw punk rock with same melodies and riffs over and over again, but something unique (like The Offspring's to me). I checked out the next song, Angel's Wings (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SOb_xlnpPQ&fmt=18), and WOW, I liked it a lot. It amazed me a bit that there's not one single song of them I haven't liked yet, though I just heard three of them right now, but anyway. I like much different music, everything from pop to rock, techno to country, but I think I'm pretty fussy on favourite bands. They must be really unique for me to like them, it's not that I have one favourite band one week, and another in a month. Anyway, this band got some really awesome melodies, cool vocals. I really think I found my 2nd favourite band now, and that just after three songs. So wow, why haven't I listened to Social Distortion before?

Thanks for reading, feel free to comment and reply! :D

Rooster
04-26-2009, 10:31 AM
Listen to these songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYBI7zrbJXQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRK8P94QXxQ

My favorites. Don't Drag Me Down is just pure awesomeness, one of my all time favorite songs by any band.

Oh, and we played these two songs on our gigs... :D

jacknife737
04-26-2009, 10:39 AM
Well, to the question of the thread; it's proabably because the band really hasn't done much in the last few years, and have taken a long time between their last couple albums; so they've been off the public sphere for some time.

It's always neat to discover new bands, especially one like Social Distortion. The old-school rock'n'roll influence in their music, is the main reason why i keep coming back to them. I really wish Mike Ness would get some new stage banter, it's always the same "do you remember when punk rock was dangerous, blah, blah, blah".

If you're looking for albums to check out; you ask five social distortion fans, you'll get five different answers. I'd start with their last studio album, then work my way back.

[B](btw, Alkaline Trio? wtf? How can they be associated with The Offspring?).

They are 'associated' because Atom Willard played with them, prior to joining the band. As did Pete Parada, i believe. Also, i'd recommend giving these guys another shot; one of my favorite bands.

nieh
04-26-2009, 10:42 AM
Are you calling me a syssi?

Rooster
04-26-2009, 10:43 AM
You should check out White Light, White Heat, White Trash (1996) album. You won't regret it.

Autonomist
04-26-2009, 10:48 AM
I'd start with their last studio album, then work my way back.

This...

You should check out White Light, White Heat, White Trash (1996) album. You won't regret it.

But this as well! They've been one of my favourite bands since literally the moment I first heard them as well. Reach for the Sky was the song that blew me away and their self-titled was my album starting point, but it wasn't until I got White Light that I went nuts about them. But erm, Other Bands?

If you're looking for albums to check out; you ask five social distortion fans, you'll get five different answers.

Definitely true.

Rooster
04-26-2009, 10:52 AM
Reach For The Sky really is awesome. By the way, my current avatar picture was taken when we performed the cover of Reach For The Sky on my band's first gig...

Blackball_
04-26-2009, 11:00 AM
the offspring
social distortion
dead kennedys
TSOL
bad religion

all anybody needs to be a happy punker. no other band could replace any of those bands and make a better top 5 punk band list. seriously.

now, i had the same thing with autononomist(sorry), i had heard stuff like story of my life and bad luck, but it wasnt until i heard white light white heat that i was just blown away. since then i ended up liking their early(and earlier) stuff MORE.. but that one album changed my whole perception of that band. yet its not my favourite - somewhere between heaven and hell is. haha.

Stylie
04-26-2009, 11:24 AM

Oh believe me, I will, heheh! Thanks.
I checked out those two songs you guys covered, and yeah, it was pretty good! Though I like those three songs I listed in my topic better, but absolutely nice. I'm for sure gonna check out more of their stuff!

Well, to the question of the thread; it's proabably because the band really hasn't done much in the last few years, and have taken a long time between their last couple albums; so they've been off the public sphere for some time.

It's always neat to discover new bands, especially one like Social Distortion. The old-school rock'n'roll influence in their music, is the main reason why i keep coming back to them. I really wish Mike Ness would get some new stage banter, it's always the same "do you remember when punk rock was dangerous, blah, blah, blah".

If you're looking for albums to check out; you ask five social distortion fans, you'll get five different answers. I'd start with their last studio album, then work my way back.

They are 'associated' because Atom Willard played with them, prior to joining the band. As did Pete Parada, i believe. Also, i'd recommend giving these guys another shot; one of my favorite bands.

Mhm, I really never heard of them after I got connected to The Offspring. But I red on Wikipedia that they may release a new album this year? If so, that's gonna be fun. But hey, I have a lot of stuff to check out first, heh.

Yeah, it's really fun discovering a band that you really like. I remember when I discovered The Offspring for real - that was fun! Always had this Ixnay burned CD which I listened to when I was younger, then we were gonna have a musical presentation on school, and suddenly The Offspring came to my mind. I checked them out, and then it was done. ;p

Oh, I didn't know that. Well, maybe I'll check them out again, but not now.

Rooster
04-26-2009, 11:31 AM
Oh believe me, I will, heheh! Thanks.
I checked out those two songs you guys covered, and yeah, it was pretty good! Though I like those three songs I listed in my topic better, but absolutely nice. I'm for sure gonna check out more of their stuff!

Well, those vids aren't vids of our covers, in case you thought that. They are vids of the original songs (well, just two pictures and an audio track playing). By the way, that Don't Drag Me Down solo is a pain in the ass to learn, if you don't have tabs for it...

Stylie
04-26-2009, 11:42 AM
Well, those vids aren't vids of our covers, in case you thought that. They are vids of the original songs (well, just two pictures and an audio track playing). By the way, that Don't Drag Me Down solo is a pain in the ass to learn, if you don't have tabs for it...

Hahah, nooo, you're kidding? Dumb me who thought it was you guys covering it. *sarcasm*

Of course I knew these two songs was the original once,
I just said it like that because you guys did cover them as you said. Maybe I said it wrong, but whatever. ^^

Rooster
04-26-2009, 11:48 AM
Hahah, nooo, you're kidding? Dumb me who thought it was you guys covering it. *sarcasm*

Of course I knew these two songs was the original once,
I just said it like that because you guys did cover them as you said. Maybe I said it wrong, but whatever. ^^

Hehe, i just wasn't sure. I thought that maybe you didn't see the vids yet, and you thought they were from our gig ;)

Bipolar Bear
04-26-2009, 11:48 AM
My favourite album is their first one. :cool:

At first I wasn't crazy about the vocals but I got used to them.

Alison
04-26-2009, 02:16 PM
White Heat White Light White Trash is my favourite album by them. Don't Drag Me Down and Dear Lover are my favourites.

Pranksta
04-26-2009, 03:09 PM
I felt pretty much the same way when I discovered them about 3 years ago. Now they're my 3rd favourite band after Offspring and Foo Fighters.
I'll be another one to say that Don't Drag me Down is my favourite by them.

Other favourites:
So Far Away
Dear Lover
I Was Wrong
When Angels Sing (and pretty much the rest of White Light White Heat White Trash)
King of Fools
Sometime I Do
Reach For the Sky
Prison Bound

RageAndLov
04-26-2009, 04:05 PM
Hellbillies (great Norwegian country/rock band which comes from same little town as me) as number three,

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha !

But I like this Social D song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMw9cu54gXc

wheelchairman
04-26-2009, 05:11 PM
The vocals are really why I like social distortion, definitely a good band.

Outerspaceman21
04-26-2009, 06:00 PM
Any Social D album is good, but I recommend checking out Mommy's Little Monster, Social Distortion and Love, Sex and Rock N' Roll.

My personal favorites are "Another State Of Mind", "Story of my Life", "Sick Boy", "Ball and Chain", I Was Wrong", "Far Behind", "Reach For The Sky", "Highway 101", and "Don't Take Me For Granted"

nameless
04-27-2009, 02:25 PM
mommys little monster is the one album i couldnt get into but the rest is good! should be good to hear them with atom!

Jojan
04-27-2009, 02:32 PM
Stylie! Kom till Sverige i sommar och se dem. http://www.westcoastriot.se/

RageAndLov
04-27-2009, 03:15 PM
Stylie! Kom till Sverige i sommar och se dem. http://www.westcoastriot.se/

Jeg gikk glipp av West Coast Riot i fjor. Var mange jeg ville se det Śret.

Offspring-Junkie
04-28-2009, 09:31 AM
Take it away, take it away,
take away this ball and chain,
I am tired and I'm broken,
and I can't take any more pain.

sneedo83
04-28-2009, 01:55 PM
I'm listening to ring of fire right nows

holland25
04-29-2009, 12:35 AM
Social D is one of the best bands ever. No compromise. There is not a song by them I don't like. Also, I adore Mike's voice.

Budzy
04-29-2009, 05:37 AM
I haven't gotten too much of Social Distortion, simply because Limewire doesn't seem to come up with much, but from what I've got, I enjoy them.
I'd suggest maybe listen to Rise Against. I feel guilty because I listen to them just as often as The Offspring. But The Offspring are better of course ;)

sneedo83
04-29-2009, 09:42 AM
I haven't gotten too much of Social Distortion, simply because Limewire doesn't seem to come up with much, but from what I've got, I enjoy them.
I'd suggest maybe listen to Rise Against. I feel guilty because I listen to them just as often as The Offspring. But The Offspring are better of course ;)

god forbid you purchase a song or two.

Budzy
04-30-2009, 01:44 AM
god forbid you purchase a song or two.

I like to listen to the band a little before I go out and buy their albums. And I don't like buying songs off iTunes and that sort of stuff, I like to own a physical copy of what I just bought, because my computer is always subject to virus.

Llamas
04-30-2009, 03:41 PM

People still use Limewire?? Wow... I didn't even know it still existed, haha. I remember that thing, though, and how people misspelled EVERYTHING or just straight up mislabeled.

Outerspaceman21
04-30-2009, 05:26 PM
People still use Limewire?? Wow... I didn't even know it still existed, haha. I remember that thing, though, and how people misspelled EVERYTHING or just straight up mislabeled.

All my friends still use it. It's still really popular. I don't because a friend of mine told me it was prone to giving a buttload of viruses. I don't know if thats true or not, but if it wasn't I still wouldn't use it. I like buying CDs because I'm weird.

Llamas
04-30-2009, 06:27 PM
Yeah I remember viruses being pretty common through Limewire. I buy CDs, too, but I illegally download a lot of stuff, as well. If I really end up liking it, or it's a band I particularly love, I always buy the CD.

coke_a_holic
04-30-2009, 06:35 PM
I generally don't buy cds anymore. I pre-order cds from bands I know I like, but for the most part, I just download everything prior to the new stuff that I know for sure I'll like. Oh, but I've bought pretty much all of my jazz cds. It really makes no sense; I just buy whatever I think will be a sound investment, and download everything else.

Also, I tried to get into Social Distortion a long time ago and it just never really happened. They're not bad, I just can't get into them. Ball And Chain is a pretty good song, though.

Ninty Man
04-30-2009, 08:47 PM
I heard what you guys put... I don't fing it THAT good... but hey, different taste

Budzy
05-01-2009, 12:44 AM

Yeah it's still really popular among my friends, but with all the money I've had to pay to fix my computer after getting a virus it's better off just buying the CD's...

F@ BANKZ
05-01-2009, 08:49 AM
1: White Light, White Heat, White Trash.
2: Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell
3: Mommy's Little Monster
4: Sex, Love and Rock & Roll
(Cheating At Solitaire)
5: Social Distortion
6: Prison Bound
7: Mainliner (you can't forget Mainliner)

Really, White Light is mind-blowing

Also, no studio youtubes: Indulgence. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnPrnEyalf0&feature=PlayList&p=6B763FFED4DD68AB&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=95