PDA

View Full Version : Americana is actually really good

Al Coholic
04-26-2009, 12:40 PM
For what it is. I remember when it came out all the loyal Offspring fans I knew thought they were sellouts because the singles were catchy and popular. Now I play it back and realise that this is about what I would expect from a band of their genre. And the songs are actually pretty decent, fun to play, and the best part being that everyone knows them. I don't like listening to music I've never heard with people that've never heard it. If its not really great, its a mood killer.

It seems ridiculous to cite Pretty Fly for a White Guy as the moment when the offsping sold out. They'd already sold a good bunch of albums, and had hit singles. Now I know you can argue that Americana was more poppy, but I really don't see some malicious plan to use their semi-popularity and make not tru punx music for more money.

Dexter: "So punk is dead you guys. Its fucking stupid anyway. We should just let the producers make whatever they want. We'll fucking bank!"

Noodels: "Hell yeah! Fuck those fucking dumb fans of ours. I'm cutting my hair right now."

Ron: "Great idea. We need to stop practicing music and work on our sex appeal. Dex man, do some fucking sit ups or something, you gotta look hawt if we're ever going to make it on mtv.

Noodles: "Fuck dude I'm way too old for sex appeal. Look at the wrinkles near my eyes"

Dexter: "Dude just wear sunglasses"

Noodles: "Yeah but people will notice that I'm always wearing shades, it'll be obvious"

Ron: "Fuck it man, we'll all wear sunglasses, all the time. We're from California anyway nobody'll think anything of it"

Noodles: "Great fucking idea!"

Greg K: "I don't know about this man, we're supposed to be musicians"

Noodels: "What?"

Dexter: "Hey, speak up Greg. You can't keep mumbling quietly back there"

Greg: "I said we shouldn't sell out"

Noodles: "What did he say?"

Ron: "He said we should sellout"

Dexter: "Allright then Greg's on board, so its unanimous. We're selling out the punk scene and our formerly original sound to make money"

Noodles: "Money money money moneey, mooooooooooney."

Greg:"Well ok, whatever you guys think is best"

Yeah I really don't see that going down. I mean my impression of Greg is dead on but other than that yeah, I just think being angsty and rebellios all the time is really gay, why can't a punk band make an album that's actually fun for all kinds of people to listen to? Anyway if you're ever drunk with a group of people who somewhat know the band put on Americana, its a lot more fun to listen and drunkenly sing along to.

And this belongs in here, because I'm not adressing those weirdos in the Offspring's Online Orgy forum. I'm speaking to a group of General people, not having an all out debate, but a casual Chat. And I'm considerably drunk, so help me god 1565 if I find this in GOD I will PM you so many pictures of my balls you will be forced to ban me. And we both know you have a small crush on me.

Al Coholic
04-26-2009, 12:49 PM
That goes for you too Nemesis. Both the balls and the crush thing.

Lizardus
04-26-2009, 12:57 PM
And this belongs in here, because I'm not adressing those weirdos in the Offspring's Online Orgy forum. I'm speaking to a group of General people, not having an all out debate, but a casual Chat.

There is nothing more casual than sunglasses and freeballing.

Al Coholic
04-26-2009, 01:03 PM
I know, right? This guy knows.

Outerspaceman21
04-26-2009, 03:43 PM
Selling out means, in my opinion, turning your back on your roots in favor of money and popularity. Offspring never asked for success. It just happened.

Green Day, however, is a different story. At least the Offspring still associate with the punk scene, whereas Green Day is too busy trying to be like U2 and Coldplay.

RageAndLov
04-26-2009, 04:00 PM
I've never liked Americana that much. I mean, it is a good album, but mos of the others are better.

Nice convo between the members of Offspring, made me laugh :p

wheelchairman
04-26-2009, 05:08 PM
Selling out is one of those ridiculously undefined terms.

But yeah Americana is my favorite album. It's quick, upbeat and has some good rock 'n' roll. And it doesn't have those embarrassing angsty songs like Smash.

ninthz
04-26-2009, 05:59 PM
Al is trolling. Obvious troll is obvious.

JohnnyNemesis
04-26-2009, 06:30 PM
That goes for you too Nemesis. Both the balls and the crush thing.

I love how this dude thinks about me when he's drunk and I'm not even at the computer.

It makes me lol.