04-27-2009, 05:43 PM
i read about it during current events this morning

Lizardus
04-27-2009, 06:57 PM
There goes the pig licking contest.

Gustavo
04-27-2009, 07:24 PM

Oh, man. I was really hopeful I'd win the contest this year, it seems like I'll have to wait 'till next year! There goes my Golden Pig trophy. :(

renato piquette
04-27-2009, 07:58 PM
this influenza issue sucks,i`m not going to school til may 6th :mad:

Gustavo
04-27-2009, 08:11 PM
Renato, well, it sucks and it's good at the same time, it's good that you don't have to go to school for a while, and it sucks that all of this is happening. :(
Btw, I hope everything's alright with you and hope you don't get sick.

Llamas
04-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Making a thread that is basically just a posted link without making any initial discussion about it is boring... :-/

Gustavo
04-27-2009, 08:54 PM
Making a thread that is basically just a posted link without making any initial discussion about it is boring... :-/

Replying it is more boring and way lame, too. :-\

renato piquette
04-27-2009, 09:40 PM
Renato, well, it sucks and it's good at the same time, it's good that you don't have to go to school for a while, and it sucks that all of this is happening. :(
Btw, I hope everything's alright with you and hope you don't get sick.

thanx,hope you don`t get sick either,no,i`d like to go back to school,it has been boring,actually,i have a great time at school,can`t say the same at home,i`m just helping mom to do the cleanning when the maid doesn`t come,so it`s really lame

Ninty Man
04-27-2009, 11:06 PM
thanx,hope you don`t get sick either,no,i`d like to go back to school,it has been boring,actually,i have a great time at school,can`t say the same at home,i`m just helping mom to do the cleanning when the maid doesn`t come,so it`s really lame

you have maid?

I'm a fucking poor dude

sneedo83
04-28-2009, 02:51 AM
Goddamn this flu has taken its toll on my job, we have to do things all different in fear of getting infected/infecting others....

Rutegard
04-28-2009, 03:56 AM
when it hitted calif i was like "oh my...not offspring" then the next second i thought, damn, so many ppl living out there...and then in the right next second: "but not the offspring..."

SO i am worried

now on a serious note...
at least we will get this vaccine way fucking sooner than human population did back in those days.

RageAndLov
04-28-2009, 04:08 AM
Must suck to be in Mexico now. My condolences renato and ninty. I hope this swine flu is getting under control down there.
But I don't think it is so bad as the media wants it to be. It was the same hysteria around the bird flu, even though almost no one got infected or died. This time more people have died, yes, but I think it will "go away".

Rutegard
04-28-2009, 04:09 AM
Must suck to be in Mexico now. My condolences renato and ninty. I hope this swine flu is getting under control down there.
But I don't think it is so bad as the media wants it to be. It was the same hysteria around the bird flu, even though almost no one got infected or died. This time more people have died, yes, but I think it will "go away".

eventually it will....the thing is, untill it does, how many more ppl will have to die or get sick? see the point?

RageAndLov
04-28-2009, 04:26 AM
I understand that people actually are dying because of this every single day, and that sucks! Then again, it is "only" over 100 people dead of 109 millions alive. It is very few who have died of this disease comparing to f.x. cancer. I think it is because this is a new disease which no one really understands that makes it topping the headlines.

Rutegard
04-28-2009, 04:34 AM
I understand that people actually are dying because of this every single day, and that sucks! Then again, it is "only" over 100 people dead of 109 millions alive. It is very few who have died of this disease comparing to f.x. cancer. I think it is because this is a new disease which no one really understands that makes it topping the headlines.

well....

YEAH

lol:P

T-6005
04-28-2009, 07:19 AM
Couple of cases in Canada. No deaths, no confirmed cases in Ontario yet.

Bipolar Bear
04-28-2009, 01:51 PM
Everybody is screaming "pandemic" again.
and the media must be overjoyed.
I'm not in the least worried, at least, not YET.

It's like being worried about global warming when you can't even predict tomorrow's weather.

sKratch
04-28-2009, 02:16 PM

http://imgur.com/27K39.jpg

renato piquette
04-28-2009, 04:08 PM
http://imgur.com/27k39.jpg

omfg,that was so fucking funny

Llamas
04-28-2009, 05:11 PM
The media makes so much money off exploiting these kinds of scares... I'm not really worried.

The Talking Pie
04-28-2009, 05:24 PM
Why aren't we being hounded with scare stories about fatal car crashes? Or lightning, for that matter? If I die of anything within the next week, the odds of it being pig flu are astronomically low.

A few people have died. Sucks for them. But what about the murders and the famine and the cancer? More people will die today of a heart attack than probably will from swine influenza throughout the entirety of this 'epidemic'.

I'll give it this, though; at least this one can affect humans. Avian influenza I just plain did not get... "well, essentially, if this disease that currently can't be transmitted to humans gains the ability to do so, we're all going to die". What if Hitler stopped being dead? Anyone consider that? Why was Zombie Hitler not on my TV screen?

EDIT: I do realise that avian influenza can sometimes cross over to humans, even if on a laughably negligible scale; the above paraphrases the media.

Llamas
04-28-2009, 05:38 PM
Why aren't we being hounded with scare stories about fatal car crashes? Or lightning, for that matter? If I die of anything within the next week, the odds of it being pig flu are astronomically low.

A few people have died. Sucks for them. But what about the murders and the famine and the cancer? More people will die today of a heart attack than probably will from swine influenza throughout the entirety of this 'epidemic'.

I'll give it this, though; at least this one can affect humans. Avian influenza I just plain did not get... "well, essentially, if this disease that currently can't be transmitted to humans gains the ability to do so, we're all going to die". What if Hitler stopped being dead? Anyone consider that? Why was Zombie Hitler not on my TV screen?

EDIT: I do realise that avian influenza can sometimes cross over to humans, even if on a laughably negligible scale; the above paraphrases the media.

I see what you're getting at, but there are a few problems here.

Car crashes and lightning are old news. Everyone knows the dangers and there's no point in the media being like OH HEY GUESS WHAT EVERYONE?? It'd be like that one guy who always goes around telling smokers that cigarettes are gonna give them lung cancer. Swine flu is new and therefore people are afraid; human tendency is to fear the unknown. It's silly, of course... but at the same time, it's necessary. As soon as a possible epidemic shows up that nobody is worried about, it will take over because nobody is being overly paranoid and cautious. Even though it's overboard, it's good that we freak out about these things.

And well, as far as the Hitler thing, yeah, Avian flu could possibly cross over and become a huge issue; diseases evolve, and there's always a risk that there will be a mutation of the disease that crosses over and consumes the human population. Obviously Hitler coming back from the dead is not actually possible. And even if it was, it wouldn't matter... Hitler himself didn't physically commit genocide; he didn't even order people direct to do it. He was just the facilitator. So if he came back from the dead, not in power and with the whole world hating him, it wouldn't even matter :P *I do realize that I took your comment way too seriously. Feel free to berate me for being an idiot.*

Ninty Man
04-28-2009, 06:49 PM

Don't worry, we'll make it

wheelchairman
04-28-2009, 08:08 PM
Everybody is screaming "pandemic" again.
and the media must be overjoyed.
I'm not in the least worried, at least, not YET.

It's like being worried about global warming when you can't even predict tomorrow's weather.

This.

Short, simple and sweet.

T-6005
04-28-2009, 08:46 PM
I do agree with Bipolar, just one thing.

From what I've read global warming makes weather systems more volatile, thereby making predicting the weather more difficult.

Hrm?

wheelchairman
04-28-2009, 09:06 PM
Weather prediction is an old problem since it's not an exact science and has never been good for more than a few days at a time. This doesn't change because of global warming.

Also I find it interesting how sudden and volatile changes in weather is blamed on global warming. It seems a bit convenient since sudden and volatile weather has always been around, we've just been bad at predicting it.

Bipolar Bear
04-28-2009, 09:34 PM
When global temperatures increased, they blamed global warming.
And now, if they decrease, global warming is also to blame.
Am I the only person who sees a problem with this?
Theories are created to adapt to the global warming idea, rather than global warming being really theorized from what's happening.

Remember the hole in the ozone layer scare?
It started to close itself up on its own. Now we're scared of the contrary (greenhouse effect).

We just aren't very talented with predictions. I don't see a doomsday coming soon. I'll rest peacefully tonight, I suggest you all do the same.

leo3375
04-28-2009, 09:39 PM
There is a mountain of evidence that this strain of flu came from a factory farm in Veracruz that is partially owned by Smithfield Foods, the largest pig-farming and -slaughter company in the world. I wish I could say I'm surprised that this originated from such a place.

Factory farms are breeding grounds for diseases and influenza can—and does—run rampant on such operations amongst their pig population. Several "downer" pigs are believed to be sickened with influenza. California tried a few years ago to pass a law that would prohibit "downer" pigs from being slaughtered but the meat industry successfully lobbied to kill the bill. Why? They're more worried about their bottom line than they are the welfare of the consumers and the animals. Of course, the USDA isn't exactly a sparkling example of consumer safety, either. I wouldn't trust them to determine what is and isn't acceptable on farms and in slaughterhouses.

I'm not saying that H1N1 influenza can be transmitted through the flesh of sick pigs. The flu doesn't affect the muscular system. But one of the best ways to prevent another flu of this sort from manifesting itself might be to urge the USDA and state governments to rein in factory farms and quarantine sick pigs, preventing them from interacting with healthy pigs and from being sent to slaughter.

Sorry if this sounds like another anti-meat tirade, but you really can't deny the link between H1N1 Influenza and factory farming.

IamSam
04-28-2009, 10:04 PM
Theories are created to adapt to the global warming idea, rather than global warming being really theorized from what's happening.

It started to close itself up on its own. Now we're scared of the contrary (greenhouse effect).

We just aren't very talented with predictions. I don't see a doomsday coming soon. I'll rest peacefully tonight, I suggest you all do the same.

Also, the hole in the ozone layer was actually allowing the earth to cool (ie. Antarctica to form larger amounts of ice.)

GO CFC'S!!!

wheelchairman
04-28-2009, 10:08 PM

There's that. There's also the fact that we can't predict the weather too far in advance because it's a ridiculously complex system. Meaning with all the variables and everything, how do we know that global warming is the cause for this event as opposed to that event?

Ten years ago it was el nino.

Bipolar Bear
04-28-2009, 11:00 PM
There's that. There's also the fact that we can't predict the weather too far in advance because it's a ridiculously complex system. Meaning with all the variables and everything, how do we know that global warming is the cause for this event as opposed to that event?

Ten years ago it was el nino.

Yeah, you wouldn't believe how many arguments I've had with my paranoid friend. He's convinced that we're all going to die in the future from global warming. It's pretty annoying.

I'm not saying he's wrong, but he has no reason to think so. We just can't know.
Right now, we haven't seen any drastic negative effects of it. In fact, if we think about it, our technology and what is "causing" global warming saves A LOT more lives than it kills.

coke_a_holic
04-28-2009, 11:47 PM
http://laughingsquid.com/wp-content/uploads/fark_book.jpg

The swine flu is fark.

rockbeer
04-28-2009, 11:52 PM
In fact, if we think about it, our technology and what is "causing" global warming saves A LOT more lives than it kills.

I agree with you. But there's nothing to argue when it's about the air we breath getting more and more polluted. [dunno if polluted is the right word.]

And about the swine influenza...

There's these so-called reporter, that yells "HOW CAN WE 'NOT PANIC' IF THERE'S PEOPLE DYING... More than 100 deaths... There's 20 cases in Brazil...BLA BLA BLA"
he is SO annoying.
These 'more than 100 deaths' are not confirmed to be deaths by the swine influenza.
There's 20 not-confirmed cases in Brazil. But SO WHAT? We've the vaccine. ¬¬' (at least as I read on wikipedia)
This motherfucker is terrifying the 'not-smart' population (which is huge here) and making it chaos.
Hope that if it turns pandemic, HE DIES.

And the 'chicken flu'? and SARS?
weren't these diseases potencially pandemic too? did they become pandemic? NO.

RickyCrack
04-29-2009, 12:26 AM
I'm on the first boat to madagascar.

Llamas
04-29-2009, 12:38 AM
How dare you just leave me here. Asshole. :mad:

coke_a_holic
04-29-2009, 12:43 AM
I'm on the first boat to madagascar.

The borders are closed.

Al Coholic
04-29-2009, 01:36 AM
There's one of these flu scares every couple of years. I'ma just buy stock in the companies that manufacture vaccines. Every year they sellout anyway.

Anybody else feel like your intelligence is insulted when you watch this bullshit? As though simply trumping it up will get you scarred and keep you watching.

MoonTan™
04-29-2009, 02:09 AM
Just watched the news, The offical Death Toll is down to 7,
the first person Infected was a small boy in Mexico that lived very close to a Pig Farm.

Rutegard
04-29-2009, 02:52 AM
The media makes so much money off exploiting these kinds of scares... I'm not really worried.

CNN lies (such a big information and STILL it has not the necessary words?!!? DAMN THIS THING!!)

The Search Button
04-29-2009, 06:38 AM
Do you now how this pandemic is gonna kill us all?

Pig by pig.

Rutegard
04-29-2009, 07:02 AM
Just watched the news, The offical Death Toll is down to 7,
the first person Infected was a small boy in Mexico that lived very close to a Pig Farm.

damn kids!

god save the pigs!

sKratch
04-29-2009, 07:55 AM
There's one of these flu scares every couple of years. I'ma just buy stock in the companies that manufacture vaccines. Every year they sellout anyway.

Anybody else feel like your intelligence is insulted when you watch this bullshit? As though simply trumping it up will get you scarred and keep you watching.

My friend explained to me how flu vaccines work the other day. I didn't know anything about it beforehand, so as of now I'm just taking her word for it 100%. She said that a bunch of doctors basically sit in a room together and look at all the major strains of flu in China or some other very distant place. They then produce vaccines for those strains (which apparently is a very slow process that involves growing the vaccine in a chicken egg for 6 months (???)) and with any luck those strains migrate to the US within about a year. Apparently there was one year where the vaccine was completely ineffective because they guessed the wrong strains.

Rutegard
04-29-2009, 09:26 AM
but this is a NEW strain (it has some previous known genes, but it has also new ones cause it has recombined for good), so the available vaccine is not 100% efficient ...YET (tho nothing is 100% whatever...)

just give some months to those in a lab coat and then we will get our very own vaccine for this strain!

leo3375
04-29-2009, 09:40 AM
This was posted on Twitter yesterday:

Good thing everyone's panicking over the #swineflu - it might kill millions like it did back in '76!... Oh, wait. http://tinyurl.com/cf3m7w

RageAndLov
04-29-2009, 10:38 AM
^hahahahahahahaha!

I like how he says "The Swine Flu Shot"

Tired_Of_You
04-29-2009, 11:58 AM
http://www.crazymonkeygames.com/Pandemic-2.html

Jesus
04-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Probably not, but doesn't mean you're right. Some places get warmer, some get cooler, it's global warming you know. Although I prefer to call it climate change, because it's easier for you average scientific illiterate one ( think late Michael Crichton) . And the trend globally is upwards.

Also climate =/=weather. Just like astronomy=/=astrology.

The strangest thing out of this yet was Arnold Schwarzenegger's press conference, he called decisions to restrict travel or advice against traveling to the US or California by foreign governments a wise decision and probably for the better. I thought he'd call us pussies.

Bipolar Bear
04-29-2009, 02:52 PM
Probably not, but doesn't mean you're right. Some places get warmer, some get cooler, it's global warming you know. Although I prefer to call it climate change, because it's easier for you average scientific illiterate one ( think late Michael Crichton) . And the trend globally is upwards.

Also climate =/=weather. Just like astronomy=/=astrology.

The strangest thing out of this yet was Arnold Schwarzenegger's press conference, he called decisions to restrict travel or advice against traveling to the US or California by foreign governments a wise decision and probably for the better. I thought he'd call us pussies.

Yeah, fortunately I'm showing that we shouldn't believe in global warming, I'm not proving that it isn't happening.

There have been global trends upwards and downwards since ever. It could go back down, or up again. Firstly, human beings maybe didn't have such a huge impact on climate changes, and secondly, we have no idea what global climate is going to be in the future, despite what some people who think they think can predict the future believe.

Gustavo
04-29-2009, 05:32 PM
Well, I believe that Swine Influenza really is something to worry about... But the press and media have really been taking it way, but way too seriously.

Now thank God for the media, for saving the day, putting it all into perspective in a responsible way.

Bipolar Bear
04-29-2009, 07:55 PM
At least now after the mad cow disease and the avian flu some people are starting to realize how much bullshit this is..

I mean, it's interesting news, but they're fucking talking about it 24/7 here even though there were like 20 cases out of 30 million people in canada and none were lethal..

KHWHD
04-29-2009, 09:37 PM
I just heard on the news here that Ontario has 7 confirmed cases and they're all in Toronto. All are mild and they all are recovering at home. All the hospitals around here are taking precautionary measures... masks, gloves, etc. Anyone coming into the hospitals with a cough or "flu like symptoms" are ordered to wear some special mask.

I'm not personally worried about it.

Llamas
04-29-2009, 10:01 PM
My friend explained to me how flu vaccines work the other day. I didn't know anything about it beforehand, so as of now I'm just taking her word for it 100%. She said that a bunch of doctors basically sit in a room together and look at all the major strains of flu in China or some other very distant place. They then produce vaccines for those strains (which apparently is a very slow process that involves growing the vaccine in a chicken egg for 6 months (???)) and with any luck those strains migrate to the US within about a year. Apparently there was one year where the vaccine was completely ineffective because they guessed the wrong strains.

This is sort of true. Basically, scientists look at flu viruses (mostly from heavily populated areas... not just one country) and study their mutations. They GUESS which mutation is likely to develop and spread and yes, they grow the mutated virus in a living organism for a certain amount of time, then kill it and make tons of copies of it. And there has been more than one year when they either guessed the mutation wrong, or the virus just mutated faster than expected and they were behind the game. In short, the flu vaccine is a complete joke. There are far too many strains and it mutates way too quickly for a vaccine to every be truly effective. They'd need to find, like, a master flu virus that isn't affected by mutations.

Well, I believe that Swine Influenza really is something to worry about... But the press and media have really been taking it way, but way too seriously.

Now thank God for the media, for saving the day, putting it all into perspective in a responsible way.

I was just waiting for the lame-o Offspring reference to show up... ah yes.

Rutegard
04-30-2009, 05:35 AM
i phoned my mom today letting her now that im sick, and she stood there, quiet...and then it hitted me and i was like "no it is not the flu for fucks sake!"

yeah, now that im really sick i dont feel like going to the hospital where i can actually get an extra something, something my immune system wont surely like, something like....this fucked up flu! and no thanks, not now!

conclusion: i dont like this flu, neither its media cover, neither the fact that pigs r being constantly mentioned.

yep, my temperature is high, cant u tell? :P

The Search Button
04-30-2009, 06:26 AM
i phoned my mom today letting her now that im sick, and she stood there, quiet...and then it hitted me and i was like "no it is not the flu for fucks sake!"

yeah, now that im really sick i dont feel like going to the hospital where i can actually get an extra something, something my immune system wont surely like, something like....this fucked up flu! and no thanks, not now!

conclusion: i dont like this flu, neither its media cover, neither the fact that pigs r being constantly mentioned.

yep, my temperature is high, cant u tell? :P

*grabs mask*

*runs the fuck away!*

Rutegard
04-30-2009, 06:31 AM
*grabs mask*

*runs the fuck away!*

i missed that love :P

MASKS FOR EVERYONE!!

Little_Miss_1565
04-30-2009, 08:23 AM
In short, the flu vaccine is a complete joke. There are far too many strains and it mutates way too quickly for a vaccine to every be truly effective. They'd need to find, like, a master flu virus that isn't affected by mutations.

Doesn't that not exist?

IamSam
04-30-2009, 08:59 AM
Doesn't that not exist?

http://blogs.abc.net.au/articulate/images/2008/02/05/the_stand_cover.jpg

T-6005
04-30-2009, 09:44 AM
Considering that this is happening in the midst of Toronto's madly bipolar temperature shifts, I predict mass paranoia as people get the sniffles.

Bipolar Bear
04-30-2009, 03:35 PM
Did you hear? They're thinking of changing the name of the disease, because "swine influenza" sounds too negative.

Lol some people :rolleyes:

T-6005
04-30-2009, 03:53 PM
I read somewhere that an Israeli requested a name change because "Swine Flu" would be offensive to Muslims and Jews.

Their suggested alternative? "Mexican Flu."

Srsly (http://www.bostonherald.com/news/international/middle_east/view/2009_04_30_Israeli_official:_Swine_flu_name_offens ive_to_Jews_and_Muslims/srvc=home&position=recent)

Llamas
04-30-2009, 04:48 PM
Doesn't that not exist?
lol pretty much. But it'd be awesome if they discovered it! :P

I read somewhere that an Israeli requested a name change because "Swine Flu" would be offensive to Muslims and Jews.

Srsly (http://www.bostonherald.com/news/international/middle_east/view/2009_04_30_Israeli_official:_Swine_flu_name_offens ive_to_Jews_and_Muslims/srvc=home&position=recent)

Wait... how is that offensive? I mean, they don't eat pork, so if they got swine flu it'd be confusing? I seriously don't get it. And the are fucking idiots if they think calling it "Mexican flu" is LESS offensive... wow *facepalm*

Bipolar Bear
04-30-2009, 04:56 PM

Wow...
that's like when they renamed "christmas tree" to "holiday tree" here because it was offensive to non-christians
[this is also unfortunately true]

Omni
04-30-2009, 05:05 PM
At least now after the mad cow disease and the avian flu some people are starting to realize how much bullshit this is

Yes, the Avian Flu last year, and SARS a couple years before that, and West Nile Virus the year before that, and Anthrax a couple years before that, and Y2K a year before that.

wheelchairman
04-30-2009, 06:14 PM
I work in a medicinal warehouse. Tamiflu is the name of the drug that is supposed to prevent 'Swine flu'. We sold out today. I stood in the area where Tamiflu is held, and I shipped out over 300 boxes in 10 minutes. And then there were no more. :(

Apparently there have only been 7 deaths, all of them Mexican. And apparently many people recover without even using meds.

You think people would learn to take the media with a grain of salt at some point.

Llamas
04-30-2009, 07:24 PM
Yes, the Avian Flu last year, and SARS a couple years before that, and West Nile Virus the year before that, and Anthrax a couple years before that, and Y2K a year before that.

I lol'd at the comparison of Y2K to flu viruses, SARS, and anthrax. :P hehe.

I work in a medicinal warehouse. Tamiflu is the name of the drug that is supposed to prevent 'Swine flu'. We sold out today. I stood in the area where Tamiflu is held, and I shipped out over 300 boxes in 10 minutes. And then there were no more. :(

Apparently there have only been 7 deaths, all of them Mexican. And apparently many people recover without even using meds.

You think people would learn to take the media with a grain of salt at some point.

*headdesk*

*headdesk again*

Dear god, people. First of all, people are fucking morons to think that a medicine can cure a virus. IT'S A FUCKING VIRUS YOU IDIOTS. Viruses go away on their own. And guess what? PEOPLE DIE FROM REGULAR FLU, TOO. Most recover, though, just like most recover from this strain. And no, medication does. not. cure. viruses. ugh.

On top of that, people are idiots for listening to the media. I have heard SO many different numbers regarding the death toll. I've heard that over 100 people were killed in Mexico and 7 in the US... I've heard that 7 were killed in Mexico and none in the US. I've heard that almost a hundred have been killed in both countries. Why even bother? The media obviously has no clue what they're talking about... quit letting them scare the shit out of you.

Omni
04-30-2009, 07:31 PM
The older people where I work are glued to their tvs. Of course, any illness is a lot worse in the elderly and infants, but these people lived through the Red Scare, which was years of America being led to believe that the Russians would and could wipe us off the face of the Earth at any given second with the single push of a button. It took me about 16 years of life before I realized that all things like this should be met with concern, but they're never ever as bad as people would lead you to believe. And I don't understand how some people could be on the planet 50 or 60 years and witness things be blown so out of proportion and still buy into stuff like this every single year.

Ninty Man
04-30-2009, 09:31 PM

MMM I'm worried about this paranoic shit

Bipolar Bear
05-01-2009, 09:06 AM
Some bozo of an interviewer said the pandemic was either gonna "die or expand".

Now THAT was clever.

And somewhere down the article was mentioned two types of facemasks that one could wear to protect oneself: the regular surgeon-like type, and the "snout" kind.

Fancy wearing a snout mask against swine flu. Go you.

Some journalists are just great at stating the obvious. They've talked about the disease for like a week now, so they're running out of things to say.

Snout mask, lol. Such irony.

Rutegard
05-01-2009, 09:38 AM
yeah so it stills good

Bipolar Bear
05-01-2009, 11:24 AM
France has bought 750 million of those snout masks. The very same. *mock pride in her voice*

And a billion of the regular types.

Wait, I can't have read that right. There's only 62 million of us, and like, maybe 3 folks contaminated?

What the fuck has this world come to? >_>

TakesMeNowhere28
05-01-2009, 02:48 PM
The media has blown this thing way out of proportion. Less than 200 people have died from it and they're screaming "pandemic!!"??? 36,000 people die each year from regular flu. No one is screaming pandemic about that. If we weren't having problems with the economy, would they be making such a big deal about this? Probably not. I find it absurd that we're being told to panic at this moment. I'm not worried one bit about getting it. I have no reason to. I haven't gotten sick in over a year. I'll take the same precautions that I was taking before all this swine flu bullshit started. The media loves to make things bigger than they really are. Why do you think they made a big deal about Mad Cow Disease and Bird Flu? How many people died from that? No one should be worrying about this. In a lot of the cases in Mexico, the people that died from it also had TB. If they didn't have TB, it was elderly people and children that were dying from it because their immune systems aren't as strong. Relax, people.

Swine flu is a good excuse for Dexter to hold another press conference to let people know that shit (the media) is fucked up.

IamSam
05-01-2009, 09:47 PM
My college's track and field team had to come back from a meet today without competing because one person on the campus they traveled to had swine flu.

The athletes are pissed for having two 19 hour bus rides without competing.

Bipolar Bear
05-01-2009, 10:20 PM
I laughed at a friend for washing his hands compulsively to not catch the swine virus, but he acted all self-righteous and wouldn't admit it was silly even though nobody actually caught it around here. Closest case in this province was one person in a city 3 hours ago [again, not a lethal case].

Beaker
05-02-2009, 12:58 AM
i dont think we have had any cases yet. but it is being hyped by the media alot, i guess it will just make people aware of some thing that has already killed. i doubt it will be big in Australia.

TakesMeNowhere28
05-02-2009, 09:02 AM
Now the media is saying the swine flu may not be as potent as they first thought. Well, no shit sherlocks! Welcome back to reality.

T-6005
05-02-2009, 09:31 AM
The worst part of things like this isn't when the media freaks out and causes an uninformed panic of morons - it's when they quote real things, like "WHO moves pandemic alert level to level FIVE" without explaining what the pandemic alert level means.

Context is bliss.

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
05-02-2009, 04:31 PM
everyone at my school is panicking
especially the principle. ucps policy states that even if one case is reported in my school they'll shut it down

and its funny but sad because all the mexicans, hispanic looking people etc, are being bullied and excluded. this football player locked some mexican in a locker during P.E. class
he lasted like 2 periods until lunch cuz the teacher heard him

Bipolar Bear
05-02-2009, 04:45 PM
especially the principle. ucps policy states that even if one case is reported in my school they'll shut it down

and its funny but sad because all the mexicans, hispanic looking people etc, are being bullied and excluded. this football player locked some mexican in a locker during P.E. class

football players will be football players :rolleyes:

WebDudette
05-02-2009, 04:53 PM
I really hope this shit doesn't shut down my school. I'm so close to the end, I really don't want to have to make up the days. Which, by the way is very possible. A couple schools have already been shut down in Arizona, and apparently someone left school on Friday because of swine flu like symptoms.

TakesMeNowhere28
05-02-2009, 07:06 PM
The worst part of things like this isn't when the media freaks out and causes an uninformed panic of morons - it's when they quote real things, like "WHO moves pandemic alert level to level FIVE" without explaining what the pandemic alert level means.

Context is bliss.

It means about as much as the terror threat level: absolutely nothing.

TakesMeNowhere28
05-02-2009, 07:13 PM
I can't help but feel bad for all these high school kids that put themselves through hell to play sports on their respective teams only to have some dumbass school officials get suckered into thinking swine flu is a big damn deal when it's nothing more than overhyped propaganda. I even saw a story where a flight was diverted all because 1 person on board POSSIBLY had swine flu. I swear, this country is becoming more and more of a laughing stock to the rest of the world each day. Doesn't help that our commercialized overrated President has allowed himself to be a pawn in the media's game by ordering schools to be closed because of this. There are too many stupid people in this country panicking for no reason whatsoever. Everyone who believes this nonsense about swine flu needs a swift kick in the pants to bring themselves back to reality. It's not fair to rob these young kids of their chance to be part of a team all because the league officials are morons. We don't need major league games being postponed. Why should high school games be postponed? I wish I was a member of Congress. I would stick it to those idiots.

nameless
05-02-2009, 08:32 PM
theres been a few cases reported in the uk today, lets just hope they get it under control!

Ninty Man
05-02-2009, 09:15 PM
Just a fact: I don't know ANYONE who knows ANYONE infected of this shit.

TakesMeNowhere28
05-02-2009, 09:29 PM
Just a fact: I don't know ANYONE who knows ANYONE infected of this shit.

Probably because no one is really infected. It's probably just the regular flu and the media is telling people it's swine flu just to scare them. They're working with the government and are desperate to save the economy.

Andy
05-02-2009, 09:31 PM

Well, technically it isn't "swine flu" as we know it, as this strain is the human variant. Theoretically, we should be referring to it as "H151 Influenza".

Funny thing is, the pigs are the ones who don't get affected by this strain.

Llamas
05-02-2009, 09:53 PM

Where the hell do you live??? Wow...

I can't help but feel bad for all these high school kids that put themselves through hell to play sports on their respective teams only to have some dumbass school officials get suckered into thinking swine flu is a big damn deal when it's nothing more than overhyped propaganda. I even saw a story where a flight was diverted all because 1 person on board POSSIBLY had swine flu. I swear, this country is becoming more and more of a laughing stock to the rest of the world each day. Doesn't help that our commercialized overrated President has allowed himself to be a pawn in the media's game by ordering schools to be closed because of this. There are too many stupid people in this country panicking for no reason whatsoever. Everyone who believes this nonsense about swine flu needs a swift kick in the pants to bring themselves back to reality. It's not fair to rob these young kids of their chance to be part of a team all because the league officials are morons. We don't need major league games being postponed. Why should high school games be postponed? I wish I was a member of Congress. I would stick it to those idiots.

Sorry, but this is dumb. All the countries where the strain has been found are freaking out. This is not making the world laugh at the US at all. Did you completely fail to understand Duskygrin's and Wheelchairman's posts about how badly people are freaking out in Denmark and France?

Also, the part about high school students putting themselves through hell to play sports is incredibly laughable.

Well, technically it isn't "swine flu" as we know it, as this strain is the human variant. Theoretically, we should be referring to it as "H151 Influenza".

Funny thing is, the pigs are the ones who don't get affected by this strain.

This is so true. Swine flu makes no sense at this point. It's just a catch name.

wheelchairman
05-02-2009, 11:32 PM
I'm fairly certain it was the military-industrial complex. We're one fucking step away from The Cube, people!

rockbeer
05-03-2009, 12:32 AM
Probably because no one is really infected. It's probably just the regular flu and the media is telling people it's swine flu just to scare them. They're working with the government and are desperate to save the economy.

When you said that, it made me think that 'The Swine Flu' it's just something they came up with, just to make people 'let go' or forget about the economy problems.

Now it sounds so obvious.

TakesMeNowhere28
05-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Also, the part about high school students putting themselves through hell to play sports is incredibly laughable.

Really. Have you ever gone out for sports in high school?

Llamas
05-03-2009, 09:33 PM
Really. Have you ever gone out for sports in high school?

I did for three of my four years of high school. It was fun.

RexDarr
05-03-2009, 09:40 PM
For a while my girlfriend thought she had it, but it turns out that it was the stomach flu caused by crappy food served at the hotel that she stayed at.

I think people are over-reacting, just like the SARS epedemic... There is a cure.

Ninty Man
05-03-2009, 09:47 PM
I'm fairly certain it was the military-industrial complex. We're one fucking step away from The Cube, people!

Quote for LOL :D

Bipolar Bear
05-03-2009, 09:48 PM
Now they're saying that the growth curve of the disease is going to go back down. All we had was like 1000 cases of swine flu worldwide, and the disease is already showing signs of regression. What a pandemic this is!

Lizardus
05-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Good news everyone! I went to the vet and got my shots, so everything should be fine.

Llamas
05-03-2009, 10:22 PM
For a while my girlfriend thought she had it, but it turns out that it was the stomach flu caused by crappy food served at the hotel that she stayed at.

That's food poisoning, not stomach flu :P

rockbeer
05-03-2009, 10:24 PM
Good news everyone! I went to the vet and got my shots, so everything should be fine.

LOL:D
So, you're the one on left on this photo (http://overthehillcarpeople.com/photogallery5/Pig%20Kissing%20Little%20Boy.jpg)?

WebDudette
05-03-2009, 11:20 PM
I know some high school students who have put themselves through hell for sports.

Rutegard
05-04-2009, 05:07 AM
Now they're saying that the growth curve of the disease is going to go back down. All we had was like 1000 cases of swine flu worldwide, and the disease is already showing signs of regression. What a pandemic this is!

it could well be, if we lived,...lets say....200 years ago :P

and now we are talking bout school sports? THOSE RUINED MY LIFE FOREVER!!

Ninty Man
05-04-2009, 04:54 PM
Bah, this is bullshit. fuck government

Bipolar Bear
05-04-2009, 05:15 PM
yeah. the government is a joke but fuck the media, most of all

metalmania
05-05-2009, 11:43 AM
hm.the new problem is swine flu now.normal flu,sars,bird flu...... we forgot those and now swine flu came!our new health agenda is this. what can i say about it?i dont know.we re waiting for derivatives new flues.lets hope for the best!so dont care!

RageAndLov
05-05-2009, 03:33 PM
hm.the new problem is swine flu now.normal flu,sars,bird flu...... we forgot those and now swine flu came!our new health agenda is this. what can i say about it?i dont know.we re waiting for derivatives new flues.lets hope for the best!so dont care!

The space button is right under the c, v, b, n and m buttons.

Bipolar Bear
05-05-2009, 03:47 PM
The space button is right under the c, v, b, n and m buttons.

I've never seen a Mexican put a space after punctuation. I guess that the fact that everyone else constantly does so on the boards isn't a clear enough indication to them.

No offense renatto, but you are guilty of this.

RageAndLov
05-05-2009, 05:52 PM
No offense renatto, but you are guilty of this.

Yeah, but he uses so many punctions and exclaim marks after a finished sentenced that it is actually readable.

Bipolar Bear
05-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Yeah, but he uses so many punctions and exclaim marks after a finished sentenced that it is actually readable.

Yeah, that's true.
He could easily look like an English speaker except for a few minor problems.
For example, he uses ` instead of ' when using the possessive form of words. I think his keyboard just lacks that sign.

At least he capitalizes unlike metalmania. It makes a big difference..

RageAndLov
05-05-2009, 06:00 PM
Yeah, that's true.
He could easily look like an English speaker except for a few minor problems.
For example, he uses ` instead of ' when using the possessive form of words. I think his keyboard just lacks that sign.

At least he capitalizes unlike metalmania. It makes a big difference..

Yeah, absolutely.

Genocide17
05-10-2009, 12:22 PM
i've already bought the tickets for the cocnert in grand prairie, tx but my dad is very scary because the cases of swine influenza are growing in usa, but i don't care and i wanna go anyway, i'm from mexico

how can i convince him to go to the usa for the concert, i don't think that i'm gonna be infected if i go only a day or two and the nokia theater is a closed place

i hate this sutuation

dammit