PDA

View Full Version : Collective Soul is making a new album

Omni
04-28-2009, 06:13 PM
This thread is pretty much just for me and llamas, since she's the only other person on the board I know who likes them as much as me. I don't know if you've heard yet, but they've released three songs from it so far:

She Does - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DxTTfviFVg

Dig - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKtIu5tu8GA

I couldn't find a video for the third song, "You," but I like the other two (too bad the second one's quality isn't so good). These two songs sound like something from their first or second album, which would normally excite me, but every album has a couple of their older sounding songs. I'm hoping this next release is closer to their grungey sound.

EDIT: haha, totally posted this in the wrong section. Sorry, mods, meant to post it in the Other Bands

Llamas
04-28-2009, 06:24 PM
lol @ wrong section. When I saw the thread in GOD, I was like "Is CS doing Offspring covers? Collaborating with them?" hahaha.

Anyway, I love the band's evolution, and wouldn't want to hear them go back to the sounds of Hints, Allegations and Things Left Unsaid. I enjoy all their albums (though Blender was bordering on a bad album), but I love the fact that Afterwords sounds almost nothing like HATLU. I like their experimentation and their ability to do much.

Regarding these songs, She Does isn't that good... the guitar solo isn't bad, but it doesn't fit super well with the song. I hope the studio version will be better.

Even though Dig is bad quality, it definitely sounds like a much better song. Cool riff, too.

Here's "You" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ7ahuIZyGk&feature=related
I'm afraid this album is gonna be really ballady... I like their ballads (they have a knack for writing good ones), but they have to be in moderation. You sounds like a much better ballady song than She Does, though. Hopefully the rest of the album is more upbeat.

By the way, I finally got Dosage last week. I've always had the mp3s, but I finally got the album itself... now I have all their LPs and the Home DVD. Dosage and Disciplined Breakdown are my two favorite albums. :)

randman21
04-28-2009, 06:29 PM
lol @ wrong section. When I saw the thread in GOD, I was like "Is CS doing Offspring covers? Collaborating with them?" hahaha.

Haha, my first thoughts exactly. Then I would have been highly interested. Now, my interest is moderate. I'm a casual fan, so I may check it out.

Omni
04-28-2009, 06:31 PM
I'll probably collect all of the Collective Soul cds right after I finish Red Hot Chili Peppers. They DO write really good ballads, I think Maybe would be my favorite. The little guitar solo(?) brings a tear to my eyes. The best two albums in my eyes are self-titled and Disciplined Breakdown. I'm glad they're making another, I remember you predicted Afterwords would most likely be the last.

Llamas
04-28-2009, 06:34 PM
I'll probably collect all of the Collective Soul cds right after I finish Red Hot Chili Peppers. They DO write really good ballads, I think Maybe would be my favorite. The little guitar solo(?) brings a tear to my eyes. The best two albums in my eyes are self-titled and Disciplined Breakdown. I'm glad they're making another, I remember you predicted Afterwords would most likely be the last.

Maybe is SUCH a good song. That album is just incredible. I actually recorded a cover of "Listen" a while ago. :)

Self titled is good, but I got most of their albums before it, so it never really grew to be one of my favorites... especially cause I skipped over it since I already knew all the singles from it so well.

Yeah, I remember thinking Afterwords would be the last one... the title sounds so final. It's cool to find out they're gonna do more. :)

Randy, you don't know what you're missing. :D

PS: "Shine" has been my ringtone for a few months. haha.

Omni
04-28-2009, 06:35 PM
You got that Listen cover posted anywhere?

Llamas
04-28-2009, 06:36 PM
Oh, and regarding the RHCP comment... I've collected all their newer albums aka everything from Blood Sugar Sex Magik on... I never bothered with Mother's Milk, self titled, or the other really early one. I didn't really dig their sound when they basically sounded like the Beastie Boys, haha. My favorite RHCP album is Californication, followed by BSSM.

Llamas
04-28-2009, 06:38 PM
You got that Listen cover posted anywhere?

Oh yeah, I think it's still up on my myspace. http://www.myspace.com/llamaoffspring I recorded it quite a while ago, so don't expect anything too great :P

Omni
04-28-2009, 06:42 PM
Oh, and regarding the RHCP comment... I've collected all their newer albums aka everything from Blood Sugar Sex Magik on... I never bothered with Mother's Milk, self titled, or the other really early one. I didn't really dig their sound when they basically sounded like the Beastie Boys, haha. My favorite RHCP album is Californication, followed by BSSM.

I collected the earlier three just for collection purposes. Each band I like enough to collect the entire discography of usually has at least one really shit album I only get just because I'm a fan. Like the Offspring's first album.

Haha, you're a really nice vocalist, and the music of Listen in your version reminds me of some kind of RPG. I'll call that a good thing.

Llamas
04-28-2009, 07:00 PM
I think Offspring's S/T is way better than RHCP's early stuff... haha.

Oh and thanks! :)

Omni
04-28-2009, 07:31 PM
I agree, but S/T is standard wall-of-sound 80's punk rock that I detest. I have a hard time distinguishing it from the other punk records of that era, whereas an older Offspring record sounds like… well, the Offspring.

Smash_Returns
04-29-2009, 07:48 AM
Sweet. I really haven't listened to much of their stuff after Youth, but it'll probably be a pretty good album.

offspring99
04-30-2009, 12:24 PM
here is a better quality video of "Dig", collective soul is a great rock band, hope they get a little harder then there last couple albums.

offspring99
04-30-2009, 12:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIGp_zrXyFQ&feature=related lol, forgot to post it first time