PDA

View Full Version : Slovenia

Llamas
04-29-2009, 06:07 PM
Hey, if the French and Spanish and Slovaks get their own threads... why not the Slovenes? I wonder if there are any other Slovenes here besides Raptor.

Anyway, in response to Raptor's question in another thread, I've been to Maribor. I had barely heard of Slovenia (people said they were Slovenian and I honestly thought for a while it was another word for Slovakian :( ) and my friend came to visit me while I was living in Graz, Austria, and he was like "Hey let's go on a trip! What's near here? How about... Slo...venia!" So we hopped on a bus and took a trip to Maribor for a day. Haha!

Oxygene
04-30-2009, 03:42 AM
I saw offspring with afi play a hockey rink in Ljubljana... :)

Rooster
04-30-2009, 03:55 AM
Hehe, now we have our own thread, maybe we'll get more recognition :p

I wonder if there are any other Slovenians beside me, too, but so far i noticed nobody, only people from our neighbour countries.

You've been to Maribor?, Well, that's not so close to where i live, i live about 90 km south from Ljubljana, our capital city. But Slovenia is small, you only need a few hours and you come across the whole country.

Llamas
04-30-2009, 04:39 PM
I saw offspring with afi play a hockey rink in Ljubljana... :)

haha how random... and kinda cool. I love how Ljubljana looks like such an ugly word from the English perspective, but it's actually quite pretty when said correctly. :)

Hehe, now we have our own thread, maybe we'll get more recognition :p

I wonder if there are any other Slovenians beside me, too, but so far i noticed nobody, only people from our neighbour countries.

You've been to Maribor?, Well, that's not so close to where i live, i live about 90 km south from Ljubljana, our capital city. But Slovenia is small, you only need a few hours and you come across the whole country.

Yeah, Slovenia is tiny! Maribor was only about an hour from Graz by bus, which is why we picked it. :D We went on a Sunday and the city was a ghost town! All that was open were ice cream cafes, haha. And everyone there was really fat! (Not as fat as in England, though.) The city was pretty, but it was really sad to see really nice/lovely/new buildings built right next to buildings that were completely burned up or destroyed. Is that common? Or just in Maribor?

Free?
04-30-2009, 04:57 PM
Slovenian band Golliwog is absolutely incredible! I believe they're from Ljubljana.

Rooster
05-01-2009, 06:47 AM
Speaking of Slovenian bands, here's one deffinitely worth of checking:

http://www.myspace.com/elvisjacksonband

Their new album kicks so much ass, one of the best punk rock albums i ever bought, and also one of my favorites. The production is excellent (Bill Gould from Faith No More produced it), flawless. The guitar work is great.

They play ska, punk, reggae, metal, a mixture of everything. Although their new album is punkier than the previous ones, reggae songs are still present (and fantastic). Not a single filler track on there.

Rooster
05-01-2009, 08:09 AM
Yeah, Slovenia is tiny! Maribor was only about an hour from Graz by bus, which is why we picked it. :D We went on a Sunday and the city was a ghost town! All that was open were ice cream cafes, haha. And everyone there was really fat! (Not as fat as in England, though.) The city was pretty, but it was really sad to see really nice/lovely/new buildings built right next to buildings that were completely burned up or destroyed. Is that common? Or just in Maribor?

Well, i think that's not common here, or maybe i'm just used to it and didn't even notice. Hmm, i'll pay more attention from now on :p

Oxygene
05-01-2009, 05:35 PM
Speaking of Slovenian bands, here's one deffinitely worth of checking:

http://www.myspace.com/elvisjacksonband

Their new album kicks so much ass, one of the best punk rock albums i ever bought, and also one of my favorites. The production is excellent (Bill Gould from Faith No More produced it), flawless. The guitar work is great.

They play ska, punk, reggae, metal, a mixture of everything. Although their new album is punkier than the previous ones, reggae songs are still present (and fantastic). Not a single filler track on there.

didn't they open for offspring and afi in ljubljana?

Oxygene
05-01-2009, 05:37 PM
FYI

Slovenia is the only country whose name contain the word Love.. that's pretty cool :)

Rooster
05-01-2009, 06:05 PM
didn't they open for offspring and afi in ljubljana?

Hmm, maybe, i'm not sure. But that was a long time ago, and i didn't see them, i was too young :(

Eh, i'll see them this summer anyway, probably on Sziget, otherwise in Austria.

But i think Elvis Jackson did play with The Offspring, on some festival i think (i read it somewhere, but i'm not sure), and also with NOFX. They tour much more outside Slovenia than inside... Their live shows are awesome, so much energy, and all the things going on the stage...

edit: yep, i think we are the only country with the word love in its name.

Llamas
05-01-2009, 06:14 PM
A little off topic, but I have a question for you guys since you live in Eastern Europe. Do you frequently have the funds to travel to Western Europe? I mean, is it too expensive to do it much? Do you generally just travel within Eastern Europe? I ask because I am moving to the Czech Republic in August, and a lot of friends in Western countries want me to visit them... I just don't know if that's feasible. Also, what kinds of jobs do you guys have?

Oxygene
05-01-2009, 07:05 PM
A little off topic, but I have a question for you guys since you live in Eastern Europe. Do you frequently have the funds to travel to Western Europe? I mean, is it too expensive to do it much? Do you generally just travel within Eastern Europe? I ask because I am moving to the Czech Republic in August, and a lot of friends in Western countries want me to visit them... I just don't know if that's feasible. Also, what kinds of jobs do you guys have?

Um.. the iron curtain came down a while ago. I travel to western europe fairly frequently. In fact I don't even travel in eastern europe. hardly ever. Prague is one of the more connected eastern european cities, it has lowfare flights to many cities for a reasonable prices, or so I hear. It's better than Budapest anyway. When are you moving to Prague? For how long? Why Prague? What are you gonna do there?
The company I work for has their CEE HQ in Prague so I might be able to help you get an interview or something, but I doubt they would have positions where not speaking czech wouldn't be a problem (those would probably be very high in the hierarchy). I think in the current state of the economy finding employment is gonna be very difficult, esp if you don't have connections.
I'm an empty suite for a living btw.

Llamas
05-01-2009, 07:34 PM
Um.. the iron curtain came down a while ago. I travel to western europe fairly frequently. In fact I don't even travel in eastern europe. hardly ever. Prague is one of the more connected eastern european cities, it has lowfare flights to many cities for a reasonable prices, or so I hear. It's better than Budapest anyway. When are you moving to Prague? For how long? Why Prague? What are you gonna do there?
The company I work for has their CEE HQ in Prague so I might be able to help you get an interview or something, but I doubt they would have positions where not speaking czech wouldn't be a problem (those would probably be very high in the hierarchy). I think in the current state of the economy finding employment is gonna be very difficult, esp if you don't have connections.
I'm an empty suite for a living btw.

While looking for jobs, I keep reading that my salary won't be enough to travel to Western Europe, so I was wondering if it was true/accurate/etc. Maybe it's out of date. I'm gonna be teaching English, so I can't imagine that I'd be making ridiculously LESS than the average person... or at least I hope not.

Good to hear that traveling around isn't too difficult, or expensive. :)

I won't be in Prague, haha. People keep assuming that :P I'll either be in Ostrava or Olomouc (Moravia), depending on where I find work. I have friends who are both teachers in those cities, so they are trying to find a school that wants an English teacher. They've each already found a school that is interested, but the one in Olomouc is probably only part time. I still have a few months, so we'll see what I find.

I chose the CR because of the following criteria:
-Eastern Europe
-I've been there before (which narrows it to Poland, CR, Slovenia, and Hungary)
-I have friends there
-I am part Bohemian

:)

Oxygene
05-02-2009, 04:03 AM
While looking for jobs, I keep reading that my salary won't be enough to travel to Western Europe, so I was wondering if it was true/accurate/etc. Maybe it's out of date. I'm gonna be teaching English, so I can't imagine that I'd be making ridiculously LESS than the average person... or at least I hope not.

Good to hear that traveling around isn't too difficult, or expensive. :)

I won't be in Prague, haha. People keep assuming that :P I'll either be in Ostrava or Olomouc (Moravia), depending on where I find work. I have friends who are both teachers in those cities, so they are trying to find a school that wants an English teacher. They've each already found a school that is interested, but the one in Olomouc is probably only part time. I still have a few months, so we'll see what I find.

I chose the CR because of the following criteria:
-Eastern Europe
-I've been there before (which narrows it to Poland, CR, Slovenia, and Hungary)
-I have friends there
-I am part Bohemian

:)

Well it is true that teachers in the country side won't make enough money to frequently travel to western europe. But I hope you make it down to Hungary for at least a beer!

What's you fasination with Eastern Europe btw? Not that I don't like it, but aside form the fact that I'm from here (ok that's pretty big but still) I don't find anything very special about it..

Llamas
05-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Well it is true that teachers in the country side won't make enough money to frequently travel to western europe. But I hope you make it down to Hungary for at least a beer!

What's you fasination with Eastern Europe btw? Not that I don't like it, but aside form the fact that I'm from here (ok that's pretty big but still) I don't find anything very special about it..

Ahh okay so it's just that teachers don't make a ton... Maybe I'll be able to find a second job then so I can make more money...

Umm, my fascination is within much of Europe, actually. Well, I'm finishing my degree in German history and culture, and a minor in teaching English as a second language. I lived in Austria for a year, where I met people from many parts of the world. I've been interested in Germany since I was a kid because my grandfather was born and raised there and used to tell me stories all the time. Most of the friends I made in Austria were from Croatia or Finland, and I thus became pretty interested in those countries... so when I came back to the US and back to school, I started learning about Europe besides just Germany. I don't have a specific interest in the Czech Republic (I actually find Hungary more interesting), but the history of the Austro-Hungarian empire and most of the land that encompassed that... oh man, you really got me going, haha. Basically, I'm very interested in culture, and the US is extremely influenced by Europe historically... I've become very interested in the histories of various countries and how they influenced each other culturally. I can't really explain it. :P

Oh but I do find eastern Europe as a whole more culturally interesting than Western because there is so much MORE culture. Things like Balkan parties... I don't know. You just don't experience as much of that in the West as in the East. It's awesome.