PDA

View Full Version : What instrument do you play?

RexDarr
05-04-2009, 03:48 PM
A quick poll seeing which instrument is most popular.

dff_punk
05-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Where is the poll?

EDIT: Ahh, now I see it.

KHWHD
05-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Used to play drums but stopped just before I had my kids.

Ninty Man
05-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Drums, but not that good

dff_punk
05-04-2009, 04:28 PM
RexDarr is a walking band.

Alison
05-04-2009, 04:31 PM
I play the geetar.
And I used to play piano.

Shit at both, yay.

mrconeman
05-04-2009, 04:33 PM
Been playing guitar 5 years, picked up a little bit of bass as a result, and have recently started playing keyboard.

Bipolar Bear
05-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Played guitar for almost a year.
I can sing too

Static_Martyr
05-04-2009, 05:20 PM
I play a little bit of everything....but as a result, I'm not particularly efficient in any one area. I don't have that much time to practice anymore what with work coming at me from all directions, and school will soon provide an even more constant barrage of shit to do....but if I can't actually practice them all the time, I try to work them into songs I'm recording at the moment --- that's how I got started on Harmonica, actually; my mom bought this cheapie thing at Cracker Barrel for like 3 bucks, I played it for awhile, and even though I sucked at it (and really didn't want it in the first place), it grew on me after awhile and I started noticing harmonica in songs I don't normally notice. It went from there to trumpet, and from trumpet to keyboard (once I realized that there was a trumpet setting on my sister's keyboard 0.0). And the rest is history....

randman21
05-04-2009, 05:32 PM
Been playing guitar 5 years.
This pisses me off so bad. Anyway, it's probably the perfect endorsement for guitar lessons, kids.

So, I play guitar (been playing for six years; and a tiny bit of bass), sing, and play piano/keyboard. Singing is the only thing I'd say I don't suck at.

Llamas
05-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Sax is my main instrument, but I can also play... guitar, bass, piano, drums, flute, clarinet, trombone (kinda), trumpet, mandolin... I think that's it?

Les Paul Girl
05-04-2009, 05:44 PM
Vocals, piano, guitar and also bass if forced.

Llamas
05-04-2009, 06:41 PM
I think the poll is funny, bty... obviously guitar is gonna be the most popular, haha. And "vocals" as an answer to "what instrument do you play" is amusing... and of course, not that it's surprising, but the generic instrument list in the poll. :)

Outerspaceman21
05-04-2009, 07:33 PM
My main instruments are the guitar and the bass clarinet, but I can also play bass.

Ryder1234
05-04-2009, 07:39 PM
I didn't notice it was multiple choice and only chose guitar, but I also play bass and drums. Not very well though, I can only play guitar well.

Jebus
05-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Technically I've been playing guitar for around 5-6 years, but I stopped playing seriously 3 years ago. I only occasionally pick up my guitar here and then only to wind up learning half a song before breaking a string or coming up with some other excuse to prevent me from putting some effort into this hobby. I really regret stopping because I would have been fucking awesome at guitar by now if I continued.

I keep on telling myself this, but I swear next week I'll start to put in 2 hours a day of practice. I need something more constructive to spend my time with other than video games.

rockbeer
05-04-2009, 08:17 PM
I'm learning to play the bass...
but I don't actually have a bass to practice anymore.

My boyfriend's brother is learning, and the bass is now at his house. '
but it's okay, when I start working, I'm gonna buy my own, and noooooooo one will touch it. Or look at it.:mad:

Quagmire
05-04-2009, 08:32 PM
My main instrument is guitar and singing. I can also hold my own on bass and drums but that is mostly just playing around.

Grimesy da Offspringfan
05-05-2009, 02:06 AM
my cock.................

m.offspring.r
05-05-2009, 02:21 AM
Bass, Guitar, Drums, door bells :rolleyes:

mrconeman
05-05-2009, 02:53 AM
This pisses me off so bad. Anyway, it's probably the perfect endorsement for guitar lessons, kids.

I'll take that as a compliment I think :p.

But uhh, I never had guitar lessons, I just gave up on social interraction for the first 2 and a half years of playing, and did nothing else.

randman21
05-05-2009, 03:50 AM
I'll take that as a compliment I think :p.

But uhh, I never had guitar lessons, I just gave up on social interraction for the first 2 and a half years of playing, and did nothing else.
Wow. Awesome.

Same exact story with me, except swap in songwriting for guitar.

bass clarinet
I knew we had something special. I am a beast at bass clarinet!

ad8
05-05-2009, 08:53 AM
Guitar, Bass, Vocals, Drums(not good) and Piano. Oh, and triangle:D

Outerspaceman21
05-05-2009, 09:35 AM
I knew we had something special. I am a beast at bass clarinet!

Just one sexy instrument, isn't it?

Llamas
05-05-2009, 07:11 PM
lol bass clarinet... I like alto clarinet, actually. Regular clarinet (which I own and play) I find to be really annoying. I'm alright at clarinet, but I never play it because I think its upper range sounds so gross. Bass clarinet... well, I tend to find a lot of bass versions of woodwind instruments to be useless, lol... bari sax, bass flute, bass clarinet... silly. But they are totally necessary if you're in an ensemble (eg: bass clarinet is needed in a clarinet ensemble).

That_Guy91
05-05-2009, 07:23 PM
lol bass clarinet... I like alto clarinet, actually. Regular clarinet (which I own and play) I find to be really annoying. I'm alright at clarinet, but I never play it because I think its upper range sounds so gross. Bass clarinet... well, I tend to find a lot of bass versions of woodwind instruments to be useless, lol... bari sax, bass flute, bass clarinet... silly. But they are totally necessary if you're in an ensemble (eg: bass clarinet is needed in a clarinet ensemble).

You shut your face. Bari sax is bitchin'.

Llamas
05-05-2009, 07:25 PM
You shut your face. Bari sax is bitchin'.

lololol I'm a sax player above all else and bari is the one I chose to never play :P There's this one annoying kid in the University of Minnesota Marching Band who is OBSESSED with bari sax and argued til he got his way and now marches with a bari sax. 1) gay 2) useless in a marching band 3) so fucking heavy and not worth it.

All that said, I don't mind bari sax that much. ;)

That_Guy91
05-05-2009, 08:02 PM
lololol I'm a sax player above all else and bari is the one I chose to never play :P There's this one annoying kid in the University of Minnesota Marching Band who is OBSESSED with bari sax and argued til he got his way and now marches with a bari sax. 1) gay 2) useless in a marching band 3) so fucking heavy and not worth it.

All that said, I don't mind bari sax that much. ;)

Well, yeah, in Marching Band it's dumb. But my school's Jazz Band is playing Moanin' (Mingus), so it's awesome.

Outerspaceman21
05-05-2009, 09:27 PM

I love the bass clarinet because I love the way it sounds. Clarinet's register is too high and annoying for me. I don't care if it's a useless instrument or not, I like it. It fits me.

I played it for five years in marching and concert band.

Llamas
05-05-2009, 09:42 PM
I love the bass clarinet because I love the way it sounds. Clarinet's register is too high and annoying for me. I don't care if it's a useless instrument or not, I like it. It fits me.

I played it for five years in marching and concert band.

I wasn't trying to argue :P But I love the sound of the alto clarinet. <3

Outerspaceman21
05-06-2009, 07:14 AM
I wasn't trying to argue :P But I love the sound of the alto clarinet. <3

This was an argument? I thought it was a discussion...

I really want to play Bassoon. It's got an interesting sound.

Static_Martyr
05-06-2009, 02:15 PM
I should really get my sister in on this. She's the Clarinet aficionado of the family 0.0 Me, I ain't no woodwind's bitch.

...which basically means I can't play anything woodwind. Unless you count the kazoo(sp?) (sadly, can't even really play that) or the recorder (can play better than the kazoo).

Llamas
05-06-2009, 02:37 PM
I should really get my sister in on this. She's the Clarinet aficionado of the family 0.0 Me, I ain't no woodwind's bitch.

...which basically means I can't play anything woodwind. Unless you count the kazoo(sp?) (sadly, can't even really play that) or the recorder (can play better than the kazoo).

Recorder counts as a woodwind, actually... kazoo doesn't, haha. Recorder is super easy to play, but quite difficult to master. :)

Static_Martyr
05-07-2009, 04:11 AM
Recorder is super easy to play, but quite difficult to master.

Sorta like harmonica? Seriously, I thought it would be easy, but that thing is a little bitch sometimes.

Al Coholic
05-07-2009, 07:25 AM
The Kazoo...you'd be surprised how many chicks it will get you.

zsk
05-07-2009, 08:08 AM
Guitar,
Vocals
Others (Background Vocals :D ,Benjo)
Bass(i have not realy a bass[not yet,but in august i'll get one!] but i'm able to play because of playing guitar ;) )

Maria Cortez
05-08-2009, 05:54 PM
:eek: :D Vocals. :cool: :o

JoY
05-09-2009, 03:07 AM
"vocals" isn't even an instrument!

I play violin, but apparently it's not important enough to include in your list. *folds arms*

mip_04
05-09-2009, 08:42 AM
I just know to play piano, but I would like to learn how to play guitar, but at the same time, I feel that I'm too old to learn that...:(

JoY
05-09-2009, 10:19 AM
for piano players, guitar isn't a difficult switch to make. give it a try & you'll see it can be done & it can be done well. :)

Llamas
05-09-2009, 10:54 AM
Sorta like harmonica? Seriously, I thought it would be easy, but that thing is a little bitch sometimes.
haha! Yes! I mean, it's all personal perspective, but harmonica, recorder, sax, most percussion and string instruments are all really to learn but really hard to get good at... while flute, brass instruments, guitar, etc are all really hard to learn but not that hard to master in comparison. Just my perspective, but harmonica is like "oh hey all I gotta do is blow in and out of these little holes and I get notes? AND ITS ALWAYS IN TUNE??? THIS ROCKS! But playing that thing fast, and knowing where to put your mouth for the next note... crazy shit, man. I wish I had a really good harmonica. It'd be so much fun to put it in a song.

"vocals" isn't even an instrument!

I play violin, but apparently it's not important enough to include in your list. *folds arms*

1) I know right?! "Voice" counts usually, but not vocals hahaha.

2) That's how I felt about sax. Assholes. :( But we cool.

for piano players, guitar isn't a difficult switch to make. give it a try & you'll see it can be done & it can be done well. :)
It's true! Piano was so much easier for me cause I understood guitar (funny thing is I'm way better at piano than guitar and have been playing it for much less time... haha).

mrconeman
05-09-2009, 11:24 AM
I just know to play piano, but I would like to learn how to play guitar, but at the same time, I feel that I'm too old to learn that...:(
What JoY says is true. Weirdly enough I was just speaking to my bass player friend and we were discussing how once you've picked up and gotten good at one instrument, all musical instruments will be that little bit easier.

The opposite works too, I started on guitar, and have recently picked up piano/keyboard.

JoY
05-09-2009, 11:37 AM
1) I know right?! "Voice" counts usually, but not vocals hahaha.

2) That's how I felt about sax. Assholes. :( But we cool.

It's true! Piano was so much easier for me cause I understood guitar (funny thing is I'm way better at piano than guitar and have been playing it for much less time... haha).

we definitely cool. :)

yess! you already understand the chords, you've got frets, which basically work like keys... & if you already play a musical instrument, your hearing's trained, so basically it's the best switch there is from one instrument to another! aside from piano to accordeon. that works awesomely too, but I suppose not too many of you are interested in making that switch.

Llamas
05-09-2009, 11:46 AM
we definitely cool. :)

yess! you already understand the chords, you've got frets, which basically work like keys... & if you already play a musical instrument, your hearing's trained, so basically it's the best switch there is from one instrument to another! aside from piano to accordeon. that works awesomely too, but I suppose not too many of you are interested in making that switch.

and sax/clarinet/flute... and anything within the brass family, or anything within the string family. :P haha. Accordian would be SO AWESOME TO LEARN. omg. I want one.

JoY
05-09-2009, 11:58 AM
that's not really true. the switch with violin/viola/chello/contrabass mostly works the other way around, from *take your pick* to piano/guitar. the hearing's trained exceptionally well (I only add the "exceptionally", because you have no keys or frets, but act on hearing), your hands cooperate properly, you can handle strings & for the first time in your life, you can blindly find your way on the instrument, due to keys/frets.

I've never seen anyone at a later age really succeed at violin/viola/chello/contrabass after they switched from piano/guitar, even if they tried hard. not the way they are with their first instrument.

what did you mean with the sax/clarinet/flute? you still have to learn chords & get your hands to cooperate in different ways. I don't really see how that makes a good switch from/to piano/guitar.

& by the way, YES, don't you love accordeon?? damn I wish I had bigger hands, because dude, my hands are tiny!

Llamas
05-09-2009, 12:06 PM
that's not really true. the switch with violin/viola/chello/contrabass mostly works the other way around, from *take your pick* to piano/guitar. the hearing's trained exceptionally well (I only add the "exceptionally", because you have no keys or frets, but act on hearing), your hands cooperate properly, you can handle strings & for the first time in your life, you can blindly find your way on the instrument, due to keys/frets.

I've never seen anyone at a later age really succeed at violin/viola/chello/contrabass after they switched from piano/guitar, even if they tried hard. not the way they are with their first instrument.

what did you mean with the sax/clarinet/flute? you still have to learn chords & get your hands to cooperate in different ways. I don't really see how that makes a good switch from/to piano/guitar.

Hehe you misunderstood me. I might have said it weird. I meant that, you said piano/guitar was the easiest switch to make between instruments. I was saying that switching between string instruments (like, violin to cello) or switching from one woodwind to another (sax to clarinet) is easier than piano to guitar or vice versa. :)

& by the way, YES, don't you love accordeon?? damn I wish I had bigger hands, because dude, my hands are tiny!
It so is!!!!! I have small hands, too :( It's a huge part of why guitar is so hard for me - I can't reach a lot of chords, and then everything ends up sounding choppy as I switch between chords. I imagine accordion would be just as bad, haha. You and I should start an internet accordion band... whatchathink??

JoY
05-09-2009, 12:14 PM
ohhhh, I get it! *blonde*

I didn't mean it's the easiest switch between instruments overall, but that it's one of the easiest switches for piano players. well, as said, aside from accordion (damn, you spell it with an "i", don't you?).

I have the same stuff with my guitar. with my chubby little hands, I just gave up. it's really no good, because every time I get to choose a guitar, I love the sound of the ones with a long neck... & well yeah, you can guess what my problem is.

with accordion you have to switch real fast & if you don't, it's not like it gets sloppy, it just goes all wrong (because you have sound coming from two sources). not just that, you have to be able to make gigantic gaps between your fingers. it's hopeless really.

JoY
05-09-2009, 12:16 PM
I play the piano. I don't like it being called "keyboard". Puts me in mind of soft touch.

really? I'm glad that people use the word "keyboard"/"piano" when it's in order. got to keep em seperated, hell yes, HUGE difference.

Llamas
05-09-2009, 12:56 PM
ohhhh, I get it! *blonde*

I didn't mean it's the easiest switch between instruments overall, but that it's one of the easiest switches for piano players. well, as said, aside from accordion (damn, you spell it with an "i", don't you?).

I have the same stuff with my guitar. with my chubby little hands, I just gave up. it's really no good, because every time I get to choose a guitar, I love the sound of the ones with a long neck... & well yeah, you can guess what my problem is.

with accordion you have to switch real fast & if you don't, it's not like it gets sloppy, it just goes all wrong (because you have sound coming from two sources). not just that, you have to be able to make gigantic gaps between your fingers. it's hopeless really.

Haha so true. Accordion would be so tough... I'd sound like shit. I'm best at wind instruments... my mouth works better than my hands (lolol dirty).

really? I'm glad that people use the word "keyboard"/"piano" when it's in order. got to keep em seperated, hell yes, HUGE difference.

SO TRUE. I mean, if you play one you can at least get by on the other... but I've never actually played a piano. Yet I said I play piano.... I really just play keyboard.

JoY
05-09-2009, 01:04 PM
every time someone talks about playing keyboard, I think of Tigger Army. I really miss him sometimes. *sigh*

zsk
05-12-2009, 12:11 PM

that is not true!!!!
guitar is more difficult because piano is more difficult in theories but guitar is hard to play sometimes!