PDA

View Full Version : YGGFK gone gold!

Smash_Returns
05-08-2009, 05:52 AM
And why didn't I know this right away?

You people on here are supposed to keep meh informed!

Simply to prevent a ton of scrolling and searching, the date was 4/2/2009

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/riaa/singles.jsp

ad8
05-08-2009, 05:58 AM
That's cool! I always knew YGGFK could make it:) Such an awesome song just deserves this.

randman21
05-08-2009, 06:02 AM
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeah! I honestly didn't think it had it in it (that sounded weird). I mean, I know it's super awesome and it was at number 1 for 11 weeks, but I didn't think singles sold well these days, at all.

Outerspaceman21
05-08-2009, 06:57 AM
I knew that kid was gonna go far...

Someone had to do it to get it out of the way. Now, no more bad puns.

KHWHD
05-08-2009, 06:58 AM
I really am not surprised. I knew it had potential from the first time I heard it. Great job guys - you deserve it!! :cool:

_Way_Down_the_Line_
05-08-2009, 07:42 AM
Yup,

The first time I heard the song, I said this is great, no wonder it is there, it's a goodass song

like Outerspaceman21 said

Rooster
05-08-2009, 08:03 AM
Great news!

I think the whole album deserves more attention, i hope the video for SIMU would boost the popularity a bit more...

Little_Miss_1565
05-08-2009, 09:47 AM

Someone had to do it to get it out of the way. Now, no more bad puns.

I lol'd. :)

But seriously, This is SO AWESOME!

Drafan
05-08-2009, 09:49 AM
This is a good reason for some drink http://www.offspring.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=67&pictureid=370

brothadave79
05-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Yay! Congratulations, Offspring!

Stylie
05-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Wow, that's really great!! Congratulations Dexter and The Offspring. :D

Great news!

I think the whole album deserves more attention, i hope the video for SIMU would boost the popularity a bit more...

Absolutely. But wait, what? The video for SIMU? Dexter was talking about a video they filmed yeah, and now 4th single is Half-Truism, so I thought it would be for that song?

Rooster
05-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Wow, that's really great!! Congratulations Dexter and The Offspring. :D

Absolutely. But wait, what? The video for SIMU? Dexter was talking about a video they filmed yeah, and now 4th single is Half-Truism, so I thought it would be for that song?

He said later in one of his answers that they actually recorded a video for SIMU, but that it'll have to wait.

Which gives the possibility of RAFRAG having 5 singles, considering H-T is the 4th one, and the video for SIMU already recorded... I hope so :)

Stylie
05-08-2009, 11:02 AM
He said later in one of his answers that they actually recorded a video for SIMU, but that it'll have to wait.

Which gives the possibility of RAFRAG having 5 singles, considering H-T is the 4th one, and the video for SIMU already recorded... I hope so :)

Ah, I understand. Hm, thought I'd seen all of Dexter's posts, but must have missed one (not long time ago, I suppose?). *checking his profile again* But yeah, that's actually really great! I was really looking forward to Half-Truism's musicvideo, but on the other hand it's just really great that it's for SIMU. :D

Rutegard
05-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Yay! Congratulations, Offspring!

this :D ..........

Omni
05-08-2009, 11:37 AM
The thing I always liked most about the Offspring is that usually 3/4 of every album is worthy of being a single.

Half-Truism
You're Gonna Go Far, Kid
Hammerhead
A Lot Like Me (either a chart-topper or a complete flop. It's a unique song)
Takes Me Nowhere (I think it'd hit the top 12, not the best choice, though)
Nothingtown
Stuff is Messed Up
Kristy, Are You Doing OK?

Eight easily chartable songs right there.

jacknife737
05-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Great news! Even though a lot of people aren't buying albums nowadays, this shows that the band is still alive and well in the public's eyes.

Smash_Returns
05-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Could someone post a link to where Dexter said that the vid was for SIMU?

And if it is, then that's awesome! 5 singles, the only other time was with Ixnay.

randman21
05-08-2009, 10:01 PM
We actually did a video for Stuff Is Messed Up recently, but I guess that will have to wait for now...
Here you are. As it seems like you haven't seen that thread, I suggest checking it out, man. :P

SweetTatyana
05-08-2009, 10:05 PM
This is really great. They are up there with some huge singles too eh, good for them!

Smash_Returns
05-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Haha, sweetness. I sort of also saw it coming with the name of the tour though.

Yeah, I need to check out that thread. I never seem to be on when cool shit happens :(

randman21
05-08-2009, 10:41 PM
Haha, sweetness. I sort of also saw it coming with the name of the tour though.

Yeah, I need to check out that thread. I never seem to be on when cool shit happens :(
Haha, yeah. So did I. But the whole "Half-Truism/4th single" thing threw me off. SIMU is a great choice. I honestly think the censoring thing won't be as bad as people are thinking.

Simple solution: Be on ALL THE TIME. Heh, seriously, if I were on only 2-3 hours a day, I'd miss a lot of stuff, too.

brothadave79
05-08-2009, 10:41 PM
The thing I always liked most about the Offspring is that usually 3/4 of every album is worthy of being a single.

Half-Truism
You're Gonna Go Far, Kid
Hammerhead
Nothingtown
Stuff is Messed Up

Like Noodles said, the album is pretty much 12 hits, back-to-back.

Llamas
05-08-2009, 10:50 PM
This is great. Did any of their other singles off this album go gold?

Half-Truism
You're Gonna Go Far, Kid
Hammerhead
Nothingtown
Stuff is Messed Up

I agree with you halfway... haha. HT, Kid, Hammerhead, SIMU are all really good songs that are definitely single material. Kristy is a song I don't care for but was a good single choice. A lot like me and TMN are GREAT songs, but I don't know if I see them doing really well as singles. Nothingtown... I think that's one that the band's serious fans love, but it definitely doesn't spell out "single" to me. I think Trust in You would do better than Nothingtown. So would Fix You.

Haha, yeah. So did I. But the whole "Half-Truism/4th single" thing threw me off. SIMU is a great choice. I honestly think the censoring thing won't be as bad as people are thinking.

Simple solution: Be on ALL THE TIME. Heh, seriously, if I were on only 2-3 hours a day, I'd miss a lot of stuff, too.

Oxygene
05-09-2009, 04:50 AM
There is so much potential in this album it's amazing. We could still see I think 2-3 hits come off this thing.. it would be huge.

That's probably the next step in the music business anyway. Albums having 5-6 good singles.. we'd be rid of pesky fillers which is great. Not that the Offspring ever have filler songs, but in the age of iTunes downloading song-by-song, the only artist who have a prosperous future are the ones who can knock out 5-6 awesome songs every 2-3 years. That's 0.01% of mainstream music today :)

Thank God the Offspring have always been and always be a part of that 0.01%, this way we can sit back and watch shit destruct without having to worry :)

RonWelty
05-09-2009, 04:59 AM
There is so much potential in this album it's amazing. We could still see I think 2-3 hits come off this thing.. it would be huge.

That's probably the next step in the music business anyway. Albums having 5-6 good singles.. we'd be rid of pesky fillers which is great. Not that the Offspring ever have filler songs, but in the age of iTunes downloading song-by-song, the only artist who have a prosperous future are the ones who can knock out 5-6 awesome songs every 2-3 years. That's 0.01% of mainstream music today :)

Thank God the Offspring have always been and always be a part of that 0.01%, this way we can sit back and watch shit destruct without having to worry :)

Offspring doesn't have filler songs? When you're in prision per example...

Free?
05-09-2009, 05:13 AM
An outro doesn't count as a filler.

The Search Button
05-09-2009, 05:14 AM
That's not a filler.

That's a joke.

Not The One is a filler.

RonWelty
05-09-2009, 05:19 AM
That's not a filler.

That's a joke.

Not The One is a filler.

I love NOT THE ONE ....lol

The Search Button
05-09-2009, 05:22 AM
There's nothing wrong about loving a filler.

Specially an offspringian filler.

Oxygene
05-09-2009, 03:31 PM
That's not a filler.

That's a joke.

Not The One is a filler.

Are you insane?

Grimesy da Offspringfan
05-09-2009, 03:37 PM
i read about this a few days ago on wikipedia, but no one opened a thread about it, so i thought everyone kinda knew this, so i didn't mention it...Anyway, great news :)

SelfEsteem94
05-09-2009, 04:09 PM
finally,
The Offspring get the attention they deserve.
:]

Maria Cortez
05-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Congrats and stuff. ^_^

Rave21
05-09-2009, 06:53 PM
cool .

Llamas
05-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Offspring totally has filler songs. Not the One is a good example... All Along... We Are One... A Thousand Days... Feelings... ugh. haha.

Outerspaceman21
05-09-2009, 10:58 PM
Offspring totally has filler songs. Not the One is a good example... All Along... We Are One... A Thousand Days... Feelings... ugh. haha.

Yeah, I can agree with that. Maybe thats why Splinter was so short. I think lately they've sorta switch direction and are going for Quality/Quantity.

Free?
05-10-2009, 01:30 AM

:mad: :mad: :mad: !!!
Okay, maybe All Along.
Depends on how you define what filler song is.

The Search Button
05-10-2009, 01:38 AM
Are you insane?

You have no idea, baby!

I'm also hard-boiled, so beware.

Llamas
05-10-2009, 01:49 AM
:mad: :mad: :mad: !!!
Okay, maybe All Along.
Depends on how you define what filler song is.

haha yeah it's so subjective. I don't necessarily dislike filler songs... I like All Along and Not the One, but filler to me are songs that sound like fairly generic songs for the artist and like they probably didn't put as much time into them as others... just sort of "hey let's get another song on here". Doesn't mean they end up being crappy songs, though. You can write a really good filler song, and there are cases where I like filler songs more than ones that were supposed to be the stand out tracks on the album.

Budzy
05-10-2009, 01:58 AM
YYEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH BOIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!

That's great news! Go The Offspring!

randman21
05-10-2009, 04:12 AM

Fuck that! You just named three of my top 10 favorite Offspring songs (All Along, A Thousand Days, Feelings). Normally, I'd agree with All Along being a filler, but I've heard that it was the first song they wrote for CO1. I agree with all of the others, though, except Feelings :S

zsk
05-10-2009, 04:39 AM
but the album its still not sold,very well,am i right???

Smash_Returns
05-12-2009, 06:03 AM
but the album its still not sold,very well,am i right???

No, the album still hasn't gone gold.

However, this means that if single success actually meant album sales, it would have. However, there still is interest in the album with the tour and upcoming singles, so I could see it going Platinum (but multi-platinum is a bit of a stretch)

Also, of course RAFRAG has no filler, they said they demoed like 40 songs. If they still had to include filler, that would mean that the demos must've been quite sub-par.

I want to hear some of those outtakes though, Dexter said that some were quite good. (I also want to here Pass Me By)

They should release a RAFRAG outtakes album (and also include Pass Me By on it)

randman21
05-12-2009, 06:07 AM
Also, of course RAFRAG has no filler, they said they demoed like 40 songs.
Well, 23. But your point remains. I didn't really think about it that way. Now it all makes sense. :D

Fractal
05-12-2009, 06:33 AM
We Are One??? No. Just no. The other ones I can understand.

Good news but I'd like to see RFRG going at least gold. It would be shame with 12 songs-12 singles strategy.

bouncingcoles
05-12-2009, 05:02 PM
does it mean anything at all when a single goes gold? other then it was fairly popular.

bouncingcoles
05-12-2009, 05:04 PM
i dont care what any of you say but lightning rod was totally a filler song. same with never gonna find me.

Omni
05-12-2009, 05:19 PM
Smash_returns, Platinum is impossible for RaF,RaF. Gold is a stretch. RaF,RaG will MAYBE go Gold. The sales on Wikipedia are lies. It slipped off the charts sometime in February, and the last sales update I can find was 225,000. Wikipedia says it's sold like 380,000. So in order to sell over 160,000 in two months, it would have to chart extremely high on Billboard again, which it hasn't. But it does continue to sell slowly, so my guess is the sales figures are somewhere between 225,000-235,000.

There will have to be another (hit) single or two with a strong supporting tour if it's to re-ignite interest and go Gold. Keep in mind, the album is way past the opening week, which is the strongest sales week usually, and it's not even halfway to Gold yet. I'm not even that worried about it, truthfully. Since 2006, album sales have been a poor way to demonstrate a band's popularity . If a band goes Platinum nowadays, they're cruising off the heat of an extremely popular previous album, which the Offspring are not. Or they're extremely hyped/commercial, which the Offspring aren't anymore. It was almost five years since we'd heard anything of the band, and they weren't back in the spotlight under the "we broke up, but we're here again to rock your face" kind of fame, and the album before this one wasn't all that well received by anyone other than Offspring fans. And, thanks to high-speed Internet and advancements in digital music, people can either download an entire album for free, or pick and choose the popular songs. People no longer have to buy an entire album for one song they liked on the radio like they did ten years ago, otherwise RaF,RaG would be the next Americana by this year's end.

So, in short, don't worry about it. The charts don't lie. YGGF,K was their best received single (in the states, worldwide it might still be Pretty Fly) with 11 weeks at #1, which is one of the best stays in history. And it's the first album they've had with a #1 and a #2 single, and a third barely missing the top five, we've never charted like this before. And there's a fourth and possibly fifth single coming out. The band is still popular, and things are looking up. You just have to look for different things, times have changed. Even with these weak sales, the band is still leaps and fucking bounds over what they were between 1984 and 1994. It's practically unanimous that this album is among the top three they've ever made.

Outerspaceman21
05-12-2009, 05:34 PM
i dont care what any of you say but lightning rod was totally a filler song. same with never gonna find me.

I disagree, respectfully. I constitute a filler song as a song that didn't have much effort put into it, and I feel Lightning Rod and Never Gonna Find Me had a good degree of effort put into it's creation.

Llamas
05-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Omni, that was so well put and awesome. I really wanna give you a high five. More people should read your post... unfortunately, most people on this bbs will think it's too long or not understand it.

Outerspaceman21
05-12-2009, 05:45 PM
Omni, that was so well put and awesome. I really wanna give you a high five. More people should read your post... unfortunately, most people on this bbs will think it's too long or not understand it.

I did. Unfortunately, It's something I've known and have been talking about since Raf,Rag came out (not much on the boards, though)

You are right, though. Omni's post sums up what is pretty much going on in the music industry.

Ponce approved!

Omni
05-12-2009, 05:49 PM
Glad you approve :)

It's a tough pill to swallow, watching your favorite/one of your favorite bands not do as well as you'd hope on the sales front. But thats just the music industry today. The digital age has ultimately helped the artists and hurt the business, and that's apparent when you look at how people are into the songs from this album, yet don't care to buy it. It's never been easier to make your music heard and be discovered, and even though bands today probably won't get as much of their already meager cut from album sales, getting gigs and finding new fans is easier than playing for your drunk friends in warehouse parties for years before you get lucky. Overall, I'm optimistic about the way music is going to be heard heading into this next decade, and I'm looking forward to what new rock bands will be reinventing the genre again. The post-grunge shit that's taken command of the radio since the early '00s has gotten old.

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
05-12-2009, 06:12 PM
Smash_returns, Platinum is impossible for RaF,RaF. Gold is a stretch. RaF,RaG will MAYBE go Gold. The sales on Wikipedia are lies. It slipped off the charts sometime in February, and the last sales update I can find was 225,000. Wikipedia says it's sold like 380,000. So in order to sell over 160,000 in two months, it would have to chart extremely high on Billboard again, which it hasn't. But it does continue to sell slowly, so my guess is the sales figures are somewhere between 225,000-235,000.

There will have to be another (hit) single or two with a strong supporting tour if it's to re-ignite interest and go Gold. Keep in mind, the album is way past the opening week, which is the strongest sales week usually, and it's not even halfway to Gold yet. I'm not even that worried about it, truthfully. Since 2006, album sales have been a poor way to demonstrate a band's popularity . If a band goes Platinum nowadays, they're cruising off the heat of an extremely popular previous album, which the Offspring are not. Or they're extremely hyped/commercial, which the Offspring aren't anymore. It was almost five years since we'd heard anything of the band, and they weren't back in the spotlight under the "we broke up, but we're here again to rock your face" kind of fame, and the album before this one wasn't all that well received by anyone other than Offspring fans. And, thanks to high-speed Internet and advancements in digital music, people can either download an entire album for free, or pick and choose the popular songs. People no longer have to buy an entire album for one song they liked on the radio like they did ten years ago, otherwise RaF,RaG would be the next Americana by this year's end.

So, in short, don't worry about it. The charts don't lie. YGGF,K was their best received single (in the states, worldwide it might still be Pretty Fly) with 11 weeks at #1, which is one of the best stays in history. And it's the first album they've had with a #1 and a #2 single, and a third barely missing the top five, we've never charted like this before. And there's a fourth and possibly fifth single coming out. The band is still popular, and things are looking up. You just have to look for different things, times have changed. Even with these weak sales, the band is still leaps and fucking bounds over what they were between 1984 and 1994. It's practically unanimous that this album is among the top three they've ever made.

your post sounds like a research paper
which is kinda funny cuz i did one on filesharing and its effect on music
and i mentioned the offspring in the introduction

05-12-2009, 06:14 PM
from my research paper

11 years ago The Offspring released Americana with the single Pretty Fly(For A White Guy). In its first week, the single had been downloaded 22 million times illegally, and 3 singles later the album managed to sell 12 million copies.(Bryan “Dexter” Holland). However, this and many incidents proves that file-sharing does not hurt sales because the real pirates are the record deal executives, people who download illegally buy music more often legally, and it helps the economy.

Little_Miss_1565
05-12-2009, 06:14 PM
The music industry is in dire straits right now, yes. But I don't think the picture is quite as negative as you say, Omni. It's more like sales are not going to be the main success metric of a band anymore.

Omni
05-12-2009, 06:21 PM
Thats what I'm trying to get at. If we stopped worrying about Gold and Platinum and looked to see how they're faring in the other fields, we'd see they're still a very relevant band. I'm trying to paint a positive picture, not a negative one, lol.

@ All in all: I said since 2006 because around 2005-2006, high-speed Internet became extremely cheap and available to most houses. You can download an entire album off Limewire with DSL in less than half an hour, whereas it'd take over a day on 56K. And with 56K you had all kinds of unreliable circumstances, namely you and the people you're downloading from being disconnected somehow. Pretty Fly was in '98, and downloading a single song was no big deal. Plus, now you can download singles legally for like 30 cents, which ties into what I said earlier about people buying cds for one or two songs they liked on the radio.

Llamas
05-12-2009, 06:23 PM
from my research paper

11 years ago The Offspring released Americana with the single Pretty Fly(For A White Guy). In its first week, the single had been downloaded 22 million times illegally, and 3 singles later the album managed to sell 12 million copies.(Bryan “Dexter” Holland). However, this and many incidents proves that file-sharing does not hurt sales because the real pirates are the record deal executives, people who download illegally buy music more often legally, and it helps the economy.

I lol'd. Who says "the real pirates are" in a research paper? haha. And it's already obviously incredibly biased and not much of a research article.

Anyway, I do wonder what's in store for the music industry. They're pretty well fucked by now.

Omni
05-12-2009, 06:28 PM
*Waits for the oh-so-clever inevitable SIMU pun*

Little_Miss_1565 actually works in the music business, so it's her job to know more about this kind of stuff than we do. Still, it doesn't take some kind of uber smart musicologist to see the trends. AllIn All It's Not So Bad, you should know that much has changed in the eleven years since Americana, and the gap between downloaders and cd buyers has narrowed significantly. Petty crime (if you'd call downloading music a real crime with a straight face) really is a matter of convenience for the most part.

Cock Joke
05-12-2009, 08:17 PM
I'm not surprised. Greatest band EVAH!

But yea, I'm happy for them. Keep it going, Offs!

Outerspaceman21
05-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Music in the next decade will be interesting. I wonder if people will stop releasing albums and just do one song at a time?

Smash_Returns
05-12-2009, 09:08 PM
Music in the next decade will be interesting. I wonder if people will stop releasing albums and just do one song at a time?

I hope not. I like entire albums, it helps me discover more about a bands style. I think if the music industry went to just singles, I'd get bored by it quickly.

Outerspaceman21
05-13-2009, 07:16 AM
I hope not. I like entire albums, it helps me discover more about a bands style. I think if the music industry went to just singles, I'd get bored by it quickly.

Thats what it seems like. Most iTunes users don't even check out the entire album. They just download that one song and go on with their life. I don't constitute someone who does that a true music lover.

Little_Miss_1565
05-13-2009, 07:42 AM
Thats what it seems like. Most iTunes users don't even check out the entire album. They just download that one song and go on with their life. I don't constitute someone who does that a true music lover.

I would consider anyone still willing to pay for music at all instead of just P2Ping it a "true music lover."

zsk
05-13-2009, 08:37 AM
They should release a RAFRAG outtakes album (and also include Pass Me By on it)

NOFX did something like that, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/45_or_46_Songs_That_Weren%27t_Good_Enough_to_Go_on _Our_Other_Records

findout5
05-13-2009, 11:02 AM
I like to think one day we'll have a nice box set with a ton of rarities, outtakes, demos and a nice dvd to go along! :)

Outerspaceman21
05-13-2009, 12:48 PM
I would consider anyone still willing to pay for music at all instead of just P2Ping it a "true music lover."

Yeah, I guess thats true.

Omni
05-13-2009, 01:12 PM

I'm a fucking huge buyer and collector of cds. But to this day, I consider my most devoted display of fanship to be throughout the year when I was 16, when I downloaded all seven of the Offspring's albums plus every one of their unreleased and b-side songs on a 56K modem, song by song, day by day. I'd have just bought all the albums, but being 16, having no money, and living in an extremely rural area in Arkansas with no store other than Walmart for a good 60 or 70 miles, I did what I could.

Llamas
05-13-2009, 02:09 PM

I disagree with that... a lot of people who buy music on itunes instead of p2p-ing are major law-abiders, afraid of getting sued, or don't know about torrents/how they work (I'm often shocked at how many people fall into the latter category).

Jojan
05-13-2009, 02:29 PM
Strange... seems like my penis have gone gold aswell.

05-13-2009, 02:47 PM
@ All in all: I said since 2006 because around 2005-2006, high-speed Internet became extremely cheap and available to most houses. You can download an entire album off Limewire with DSL in less than half an hour, whereas it'd take over a day on 56K. And with 56K you had all kinds of unreliable circumstances, namely you and the people you're downloading from being disconnected somehow. Pretty Fly was in '98, and downloading a single song was no big deal. Plus, now you can download singles legally for like 30 cents, which ties into what I said earlier about people buying cds for one or two songs they liked on the radio.

that is true
i actually downloaded rafrag for free until i bought it
cuz i thought it was that good