PDA

View Full Version : BBS Mixtape III: It is time!

Llamas
05-10-2009, 10:39 PM
"So I finally got the thing uploaded for you all! Without further ado,

The BBS Mixtape: Volume Three

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7JM1IVRW

1. Intro - Brianna Kase
2. Bed Religion - Ricetigers
3. Hopeless - The Deadbeats
4. O.L.E. - Randy Williams
5. Voice of a Million - Thibault Kervarech
6. Rehab is for Dopesick Lovers - Static Martyr
7. Honeysuckle - Fireworks for Luna
8. Straight Flush - Da Pantz
9. Standing Tall - Against Belief
10. Sad Fuckin' Song, Kay? - KD Shelton
11. Going Down - Randy Williams
12. Off We Go - Brianna Kase
------------------------------
13. Generator - Static Martyr
14. Smash - Mike Radack
15. Cammy's Theme - Against Belief

A few comments:

- I started it off with a little intro I wrote a few months ago. Sorry about the low quality, but I thought it worked well to start off the album?
- I made sure there was one song by each person who submitted something, and then put a few covers at the end. I'm not sure how Randy got two full original songs, but hopefully everyone's alright with that :P
- I tried to vary genres throughout by trying to split up the rock/punk songs with other types.
- Uhh I guess that's it? I did get a song written! I wrote it tonight in a few hours.
- Hooray mixtape!!! We did it! :)"

Hay guise... so it's been five months since the last one, and since we're doing these biannually now, I thought I'd get the ball rolling for the third one. If Vera wants to take this over, be my guest, but otherwise I'm glad to do this. Copied and pasted from old thread, with edits:

What is it?
A collection of mp3's performed by members of the forum. Basically a .zip/.rar file that people can download & listen to.

How many tracks?
Around 15.

What are the qualifications?

Um, must be member of the forum, preferably posts in not just this forum. Does not have to be a band.. Instrumental is okay, too.

Let's just say that as long as it doesn't literally hurt my ears to listen to it, I'll okay it. Oh and as much as I love Pay The Man, 13-minute tracks rarely work so the track should be within considerable limits.

Doesn't have to be a new track, you could have recorded it in 2006 as long as it's by you/your band.

I would love if it was more original songs than covers but I guess covers are okay, too. Let's say you have an okay original song and a kickass cover; please submit the okay original song. The idea is to get your voice heard! :]

I can't play an instrument or sing but want to participate, can I?

Sure! I don't have Photoshop or PSP so it would be totally kickass if somebody with l33t photoshop skillz could make an album cover/track listing to the album!

Another idea is for somebody to record a spoken word intro ala Americana or Ixnay or Smash. Hey, if it worked for the Offspring, it can work for us! :D

How do I submit a track?

Upload an mp3 on yousendit.com/sendspace.com/megaupload.com or something similar, PM me with the link, track name & your band name/artist name - otherwise I'll just credit your username on the forums as the artist.

Any deadlines?

Try to get them to me by June 20th ..unless you guys feel that's way too early. Again I remind you it doesn't have to be a newly made track.

When all tracks are submitted, I'll listen to them and form a preferred order of listening (which may or may not suck) and pack them in a .rar/.zip and upload. :]

Anything else?

- Largely depends on the number of submissions but for now: 2 songs per artist/band, and I'll probably pick one of those.. Or send just one song if you feel confident enough in it.

- Genre can be anything but I would ask you to submit an approachable track; an 8 minute noise track might be the best thing you've ever done but will the others get into it?

randman21
05-11-2009, 02:12 AM
Yeeeeah. I was just thinking about this the other day. Excitement ensues, but I'm feeling majorly :\ about what I'm gonna do this time around, though.

JohnnyNemesis
05-11-2009, 02:32 AM
I may have something I could contribute to this. But nobody listens to techno :(:mad::(

Llamas
05-11-2009, 02:34 AM
I may have something I could contribute to this. But nobody listens to techno :(:mad::(

We like techno, but we don't allow blacks on our record.

randman21
05-11-2009, 02:44 AM
Tough break, Nemz.

I expect the turnout to be less than the previous two, but that would be a shame, considering how much greatness we have around here.

coke_a_holic
05-11-2009, 02:47 AM
I'm going to do this. Solo acoustic. Or with my band. Depending on when we get to record.

But for now, it's looking solo acoustic. For the first time ever, no beeps or bloops.

Llamas
05-11-2009, 02:47 AM
Tough break, Nemz.

I expect the turnout to be less than the previous two, but that would be a shame, considering how much greatness we have around here.

oshit I forgot about you. Okay, we let some blacks on our record. Just not ones... who... uhh... ARE GAY *runs away*

Static_Martyr
05-11-2009, 02:57 AM
I already know which one(s) I'm contributing :D

ad8
05-11-2009, 05:39 AM
Great! I also thought about this some weeks ago. I already have one kickass song in mind that I'm probably gonna submit for this one.

PS: Well, Randy was only on the last mixtape so we didn't look like a bunch of racists. I mean, we're not racists since we work with black people, amirite?:D

dff_punk
05-11-2009, 05:44 AM
God, I always wanted to contribute to this. I got a ton of own songs which almost no-one heard before... just need some recording equipment. Maybe it will finally work out at volume 3 :)

_Lost_
05-11-2009, 10:59 AM
I'm so in! I guess I'll try to write something new. :)

Thomas
05-11-2009, 11:05 AM
If I don't do any studio work anytime soon, I'll add one of my old band's tracks to this shin-dig. Looks like fun. :)

Llamas
05-11-2009, 11:08 AM
Great! I also thought about this some weeks ago. I already have one kickass song in mind that I'm probably gonna submit for this one.

PS: Well, Randy was only on the last mixtape so we didn't look like a bunch of racists. I mean, we're not racists since we work with black people, amirite?:D

He's totally that guy we tell everyone we know, so obviously we're not racists. "I'm not racist - I have a song a on a compilation with a black guy."

OH HI RANDY <3

God, I always wanted to contribute to this. I got a ton of own songs which almost no-one heard before... just need some recording equipment. Maybe it will finally work out at volume 3 :)

If I don't do any studio work anytime soon, I'll add one of my old band's tracks to this shin-dig. Looks like fun. :)

YES Fresh meat! :D You guys better record something!

Thomas
05-11-2009, 11:11 AM
YES Fresh meat! :D You guys better record something!

But studio time is expensive. eep. :eek:

Smash punker
05-11-2009, 11:38 AM
Guess Id bring my junk too, but its a not a charts thing:D

T-6005
05-11-2009, 02:31 PM
Man, I was going to start this thread on May 25th, as soon as my last assignment was in.

Speaking of which I am totally into this. Count me in.

Outerspaceman21
05-11-2009, 04:01 PM
I can probably make something up in my spare time. I'm in.

Homer
05-11-2009, 04:03 PM
Alright, I'm finally prepared for one of these things. I've got tons of newly recorded songs to choose from.

Also, if you need any help with this, I'd be willing to lend my assistance.

Ryder1234
05-11-2009, 06:57 PM
5 months already!? Wow...

Yeah I'm definitely in on this again. I think it'll be acoustic this time, I don't have drums to use again.

Outerspaceman21
05-11-2009, 07:47 PM
I might need some drum tracks. I knew a few people, but I don't know if they would be interested in helping me.

Superdope
05-12-2009, 09:22 AM
I'm sooo in on this. It will probably just be me performing one of our songs, because we probably won't be able to get studio time before it's due, but whatever. Audacity and Beatcraft hasn't failed me yet. I've got a bunch of songs halfway done, now I just need to figure out which one to finish first

Outerspaceman21
05-12-2009, 10:46 AM
I'm sooo in on this. It will probably just be me performing one of our songs, because we probably won't be able to get studio time before it's due, but whatever. Audacity and Beatcraft hasn't failed me yet. I've got a bunch of songs halfway done, now I just need to figure out which one to finish first

Whats Beatcraft?

Superdope
05-12-2009, 10:50 AM
It's a program you can use to make drumtracks.

Outerspaceman21
05-12-2009, 10:55 AM
It's a program you can use to make drumtracks.

Really? Can I download that off the internet for free? and how does it sound?

Superdope
05-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Really? Can I download that off the internet for free? and how does it sound?

Everything's free if you know how to get it....

And concerning the sound, it's okay, and definitely doable, but in no way a substitute for a real drummer. Here's a track (http://www.sendspace.com/file/ibmhwa) I did a while back using it for drums.

T-6005
05-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Homer and I both use Beatcraft for drums.

Llamas
05-12-2009, 11:27 AM
So do I...

_Lost_
05-12-2009, 11:33 AM
I use randman21. Its great and takes virtually no effort on my part! :D

T-6005
05-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Did you two kids sleep together?

_Lost_
05-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Not that I'm aware of.

Outerspaceman21
05-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Everything's free if you know how to get it....

And concerning the sound, it's okay, and definitely doable, but in no way a substitute for a real drummer. Here's a track (http://www.sendspace.com/file/ibmhwa) I did a while back using it for drums.

Doesn't sound too bad. I'll give it a try.

Static_Martyr
05-12-2009, 04:11 PM
And concerning the sound, it's okay, and definitely doable, but in no way a substitute for a real drummer. Here's a track I did a while back using it for drums.

That is actually a very good track, my friend! It reminds me of NIN for some reason; I keep expecting you to burst out into a screaming vocal hell segment, or something 0.0 In any case, I know to keep an eye out for any tracks you might be contributing to the mixtape~

Also, quick question: is your avatar that Rorschasch(sp?) fellow from that Watchmen series?

Outerspaceman21
05-12-2009, 06:26 PM
Also, quick question: is your avatar that Rorschasch(sp?) fellow from that Watchmen series?

Yeah, thats him. I can't spell it right either.

Static_Martyr
05-12-2009, 06:54 PM
That's what I thought, but I've only seen a couple of pictures of the cast. I'd never even heard of Watchmen before the movie (which I never saw) was announced :0

_Lost_
05-12-2009, 07:45 PM
I only knew that movie existed because Rickycrack just about went batshit crazy from excitement the week it was supposed to come out. :p

Outerspaceman21
05-12-2009, 09:54 PM
I was really into comic books when I was little (still am) and I read a few of the books, but never the whole series.

The movie was great. A lot of people didn't like it, but I think thats because it went over there head and they missed what the whole movie was about. Calling it the worst movie ever, though, it stupid. Anyone remember Catwomen? Hulk? Batman and Robin?

Superdope
05-13-2009, 02:44 AM
Having only read parts of it is a downright felony. You owe yourself to finishing it. I actually haven't seen the movie, but I heard it differs from the comic. Besides, the author of the comic said the story was written as a comic, because that was the only way he thought it could be conveyed. It became a comic, because he didn't believe a movie would do it justice. However, I'm a fan of Zack, and people have told me that it came as close to the comic as possible. I'm just holding out for the DVD release which supposedly has a longer version on it.

I urge everyone to read this comic. I haven't read a single comic beforehand, but this one is amazing. It is the only graphic novel to appear on TIME's all time 100 greatest novels. And it's Rorschach, by the way :P

What were we talking about, again?

randman21
05-13-2009, 06:39 AM
I use randman21. Its great and takes virtually no effort on my part! :D
That was very silly. *thumbs up*

Did you two kids sleep together?
Whoa, hey now. :o

Doesn't sound too bad. I'll give it a try.
Do it. The only thing I don't like about it is how annoying it is putting the individual notes in. If one could combine the features of Acoustica Beatcraft with the interface of, say, Hydrogen (which is free free, btw), they'd have a monster.

Outerspaceman21
05-13-2009, 08:08 AM
Do it. The only thing I don't like about it is how annoying it is putting the individual notes in. If one could combine the features of Acoustica Beatcraft with the interface of, say, Hydrogen (which is free free, btw), they'd have a monster.

Uh, beatcraft is like $40. Anyone know where I can get it for cheaper? ;)

Llamas
05-13-2009, 12:28 PM
Uh, beatcraft is like $40. Anyone know where I can get it for cheaper? ;)

Torrents..

T-6005
05-15-2009, 11:18 PM
Hrm, I footed in mouth. Sorry, Lost. I meant it as a flippant remark.

I am totally looking forward to this mixtape - it's going to rock! Every artist (except myself, apparently) is moving forward and getting better and better at what they're doing, and I can't wait to hear what you're all going to submit.

Outerspaceman21
05-15-2009, 11:38 PM
Yeah, My guitar cable is fucking up so I need to get a new one. I was ready to record something too.

T-6005
05-17-2009, 02:09 AM
Shit, why not. Here are some provisional lyrics for the song I'm thinking of submitting. Hopefully that's not against the rules.

It doesn't take much time
To count backwards from one
To none and the ocean at noon
Looks too much like the sun

It doesn't take much time
For my bed to get cold
And where I once lay becomes empty
While I grow old

And what is my voice in this crowd
Oh what is my voice in this crowd

Look up at the sky and
Feel yourself fade
Away but remember
You're stuck here today

You can't give enough
To break out of this mold
To be new, but each step you take
Is lonely and cold

Bazza
05-20-2009, 03:59 PM
I love that this is still continuing. I now have internets, so can follow the progress. I also have some free time, and an old guitar..... Maybe it's time to give this a go...!

Olive
05-20-2009, 04:06 PM
Can I do like the 1:00 - 2:00 of Pay The Man where there is a guitar mini solo thing?

T-6005
05-20-2009, 04:28 PM
Can I do like the 1:00 - 2:00 of Pay The Man where there is a guitar mini solo thing?

Doesn't have to be a new track, you could have recorded it in 2006 as long as it's by you/your band.

I would love if it was more original songs than covers but I guess covers are okay, too. Let's say you have an okay original song and a kickass cover; please submit the okay original song. The idea is to get your voice heard! :]

Covers are accepted, but originals are preferred. Like it says, the idea is to get your voice heard!

dff_punk
05-23-2009, 08:33 PM
Today I installed my sound applications, found the plugs, reductions and stuff for my guitar and this is my first instrumenal demo after years. Just thought I would post it in here so far. I promise it will be better quality-wise later... lol. I have much more songs, some faster, some calmer, and so on and so on. And also, the song I will probably submit to the mixtape will also have vocals. Hahaha. Feel free to tell me what you think.

http://rapidshare.com/files/236540387/untitled_punk_01_mixdown.mp3.html

P.S.: The drums will also include fills and stuff like that later.

Llamas
05-23-2009, 09:00 PM
It's actually preferred if you don't upload the song publicly here, so that we all hear it when the mixtape is released. Do as you wish, but that's just generally how it's done.

dff_punk
05-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Yes I know, I am a bit drunk lolz. And this is not the song I wish to publish. Just was too lazy to start my own thread about my songs... yet.

Outerspaceman21
05-23-2009, 11:24 PM
I'm trying to write something. I really what to do something Ska/Reggae

Homer
05-24-2009, 12:46 AM
I'm definitely bringing the quality this time around.

In fact, here's a little something I made out of boredom:

http://www.geoffmendicino.com/AgainstBelief/No%20Name%20Test.mp3

It's not the song I'm submitting, but what I will be submitting will have the same level of quality.

T-6005
05-24-2009, 10:02 AM
As usual, Homer is the person to try and match for quality. Sweet little sample there.

_Lost_
05-24-2009, 10:23 AM
I have writers block. :(

ad8
05-24-2009, 10:41 AM
I already have the song I'm going to submit. Maybe I'll do a re-recording in case I'll have my studio microphone in time, but I doubt it.

Static_Martyr
05-24-2009, 11:07 AM
Already submitted mine...er, ours!

That's right, I actually recorded these with the whole band this time, not just me :D

Rooster
05-24-2009, 11:45 AM
When is this going to be released?

I'm asking this because in the beginning of the july we (my band) are planning to record a few songs (we are hoping to put out our debut EP or a demo in july). If this mixtape won't be released by then, maybe we could submitt a song or two for this release...

_Lost_
05-24-2009, 12:13 PM
Any deadlines?

Try to get them to me by June 20th ..unless you guys feel that's way too early. Again I remind you it doesn't have to be a newly made track.

First post raptor.

I've still got some time. Maybe I'll manage to come up with something.

Rooster
05-24-2009, 01:02 PM
First post raptor.

I've still got some time. Maybe I'll manage to come up with something.

Yeah, i've seen that, i was just interested if it was postponed.

Eh, maybe next time then :)

randman21
05-24-2009, 05:00 PM
I'm sure I'm going to end up waiting until the last minute to submit a song. I'm struggling to decide what I want to do. I've got several dope-ass punk* songs I can submit, but dammit, I want to do something different this time. Looks like I'm going to have to write something awesome from the ground up.

*Shit, now I've got xkcd on the brain.

Llamas
05-24-2009, 07:19 PM
It'd be killer if there weren't any "punk" songs on this mixtape. Not cause I'm like, anti-punk or anything, but because the first mixtape was quite punk-filled, the second a little less so... and it's expected because it's an Offspring bbs. It'd be awesome if this one completely broke the expectations :)

And no, no post-poning, raptor. Any chance you can do a solo recording without your band?

_Lost_
05-24-2009, 09:26 PM
hmm... randy, do you think the electric version of unwanted is punky or more regular rock? I kinda want to record that for this.

Homer
05-24-2009, 09:33 PM
It'd be killer if there weren't any "punk" songs on this mixtape.

Well, looks like I'm fucked!

Also,

As usual, Homer is the person to try and match for quality. Sweet little sample there.

teehee~

randman21
05-24-2009, 09:40 PM
hmm... randy, do you think the electric version of unwanted is punky or more regular rock? I kinda want to record that for this.
Definitely more of a modern rock/grunge type thing, but in a good way. :P And I approve of that idea.

It'd be killer if there weren't any "punk" songs on this mixtape. Not cause I'm like, anti-punk or anything, but because the first mixtape was quite punk-filled, the second a little less so... and it's expected because it's an Offspring bbs. It'd be awesome if this one completely broke the expectations :)

You left out the part where that's never gonna happen. Heh. It's nice to dream, though.

Outerspaceman21
05-24-2009, 09:43 PM

And no, no post-poning, raptor. Any chance you can do a solo recording without your band?

Is ska/reggae exceptible?

Llamas
05-24-2009, 09:55 PM
Well, looks like I'm fucked!

Secrets Acoustic was awesome, dude :P

You left out the part where that's never gonna happen. Heh. It's nice to dream, though.
Yeah, I know it won't happen... though I think nearly everyone here has written/recorded at least one non-punk song. I think it's possible.

Is ska/reggae exceptible?
Everything is acceptable... I was just being wishful :P

_Lost_
05-24-2009, 10:25 PM
Definitely more of a modern rock/grunge type thing, but in a good way. :P And I approve of that idea.

lol... you wanna help me out with a drum track???

and maybe some guest guitar parts if you're real nice.

Outerspaceman21
05-25-2009, 12:29 AM
Everything is acceptable... I was just being wishful :P

Alright, because I'm still trying to figure something out. I'm doing that along with the Smash cover in the other thread, plus School and World of Warcraft. My schedule is booked solid.

randman21
05-25-2009, 04:11 AM
lol... you wanna help me out with a drum track???

and maybe some guest guitar parts if you're real nice.

Man, this is my lucky day. Let's do this.

Rooster
05-25-2009, 04:18 AM

Hmm, recording the vocals could be a problem, i have a shitty mic at my home. Otherwise i could record an "acoustic" song that will appear on our release (but that version will have drums and bass also), it's just that i can't record vocals yet. So probably no.

It would also be good because that song is far from being punk, and you said you wish there would be less punk songs on this mixtape.

Eh, i'll wait for the Mixtape IV then :D

ad8
05-25-2009, 08:26 AM

I think the last mixtape was just right. There were a few acoustic songs, a few rather quiet songs and a handful of punk songs. I think the mixtape should always be diverse. If everyone does the stuff he/she likes, we should end up with a very nice mixture in my opinion.

ps: The song I'm probably submitting is pretty uhh... punk. But in a funny way(I hope:D)

mrconeman
05-25-2009, 01:47 PM
Seems this will be the first of these I won't contribute to.

All the new material I've written is only suited to a band situation, and I can't record backing track stuff at all, I don't even have a mic currently or I'd even throw something together quickly on the acoustic. I'll just wait it out till BBS mixtape IV. I'll still give it a listen and my usual review though...

_Lost_
05-25-2009, 08:33 PM
Man, this is my lucky day. Let's do this.

Awesome! I'm excited!

ad8
06-05-2009, 05:49 AM
Bump. I submitted my song a few days ago. By the way, who else did it already? (I only know of Static Martyr)

Llamas
06-05-2009, 02:22 PM
It's a secret! Just wait til the release and see!

Oxygene
06-05-2009, 04:08 PM
I could submit a track from my band :)

coke_a_holic
06-05-2009, 04:08 PM
Hm, fuck.

June 20th, right?

Llamas
06-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Yep.

I don't know if I'm gonna have anything to submit cause my keyboard just stopped working the other day... :-/

T-6005
06-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Yep.

I don't know if I'm gonna have anything to submit cause my keyboard just stopped working the other day... :-/

a! cappella! a! a! cappella!

Llamas
06-05-2009, 05:56 PM
lol... the song I was working on was piano based. :(

I might be able to finish another song I was working on without piano. I'm so upset, though.

coke_a_holic
06-06-2009, 03:57 AM
If I can't come up with a band name by the time this is coming out (I have a few full band takes, but no band name to attach them to), then I'm going to Mountain Goats it. For reals, just me and an acoustic guitar and a shitty microphone. Only keep the first take.

It's so on.

dff_punk
06-06-2009, 07:22 AM
Who are we supposed to send our tracks to anyway? Vera or llamas?

ad8
06-06-2009, 07:48 AM
Who are we supposed to send our tracks to anyway? Vera or llamas?

Llamas, I guess.

Static_Martyr
06-06-2009, 09:00 AM
I sent my tracks to llamas.

EDIT: ^I just realized that this is the coolest sentence ever.

_Lost_
06-06-2009, 10:22 AM
llamas, my computer has a keyboard that you use the keyboard (:confused:) to play. You can try to use that one when i come up next week.

Llamas
06-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Thanks, lost, but I think that, since the focal point of the song was piano, it wouldn't work right with a fake piano. Hopefully I can fix my keyboard at some point...

And static, I enjoyed the sentence. :P

Homer
06-09-2009, 12:34 PM
I just want to say right now that I'll be submitting my music pretty much as late as possible. I've got some songs complete that I could submit, but I'm in the process of making some full band recordings sound as perfect as possible. So... don't worry (or worry a lot), Against Belief will definitely be making a return appearance.

Ryder1234
06-09-2009, 05:47 PM
I don't know if I'll be able to take part in this one... I thought I'd have money to rent drums again by the deadline, but then I heard Social Distortion were coming and I want to try to buy tickets ASAP. I might try to out something together on acoustic though.

Outerspaceman21
06-09-2009, 08:15 PM
Anyone willing to help me with some drumtracks?

T-6005
06-17-2009, 11:20 PM
How many submissions have been received, anyway?

ad8
06-18-2009, 04:01 AM
How many submissions have been received, anyway?
Shhh... big secret;)
(at least that's what I was told)

coke_a_holic
06-18-2009, 04:19 AM
Ha..ha.... yeeahhh, about this....

Um. Yeeahhhh.

Oxygene
06-18-2009, 04:40 AM
I sent an entry to lamas just now :P

Llamas
06-18-2009, 05:09 PM
I've not counted how many there are so far... I don't know if I'm gonna have anything to contribute to this. I said it'd be done in a few days... so unless I write something really soon or push this back a bit, I'm not gonna have anything.

Is there anyone who wants to contribute that still needs more time? I can push it back a week or two if needed.

coke_a_holic
06-18-2009, 05:27 PM
Kick, push, kick, push, kick, push... it.... back a week or two.

Superdope
06-19-2009, 02:16 AM
kick and push and kick

coke_a_holic
06-19-2009, 02:39 AM
Superdope, I love your new avatar. I don't even like ATHF, but my friends and I quote that episode (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAKL3Og-zGc) at each other so fucking often.

Tonight...

You.

Superdope
06-19-2009, 04:29 AM
Handbanana is my God now.

I only know ball... and good... and rape

KyleW
06-19-2009, 04:33 AM
Can't play for shit so won't be contributing (N)

Will listen with excited ears though :D

dff_punk
06-19-2009, 02:56 PM
So it looks like I won't be contributing to this after all. I didn't manage to find any decent microphone, and I'm not willing to send instrumentals, since they're not the final product. Well, maybe next time I will make it. Just thought I'd say this.

Oh and Hand Banana is the best!

Homer
06-19-2009, 04:06 PM
I need more time!

Llamas
06-21-2009, 09:44 PM
K. BBS Mixtape is now postponed until the 15th of July. :)

_Lost_
06-21-2009, 09:49 PM
good!

randy! i need tracks!!!

Llamas
06-21-2009, 09:53 PM
I've only got 5 songs so far, so it has to be extended cause it's not long enough as is... plus there are at least 5 or 6 people who need an extension.

Llamas
06-21-2009, 09:56 PM
If you sent me a song via PM, please send me another PM saying your full name that you want put on the mixtape, as well as the name of the song you sent me. Most people didn't label them right and I have no idea what's going on.

Thanks.

Ryder1234
06-21-2009, 11:25 PM
trying and failing to make a song right now... i cant make a drum track with a program it's different that actually playing the song. and i fail to make songs without drums to base it on, so, it sucks.

coke_a_holic
06-21-2009, 11:37 PM
What's the status on covers? All of my originals, I either don't feel like submitting or are no good. I'd like to do some covers, though.

I do have an original I'm willing to submit if covers are expressly not cool.

Ryder1234
06-21-2009, 11:49 PM
well, if we can do covers i may just do one and wait till the next mixtape so i'll have an awesome song and not a song i out together really quick

Llamas
06-21-2009, 11:58 PM
The idea is that originals are VASTLY preferred to covers... but I submitted a cover for the first mixtape. They're allowed, but discouraged.

Do remember that the deadline is July 15 now, so you still have over three weeks to record something.

Ryder1234
06-22-2009, 12:08 AM
what if it's a sexy cover?

Oxygene
06-22-2009, 03:54 AM
The idea is that originals are VASTLY preferred to covers... but I submitted a cover for the first mixtape. They're allowed, but discouraged.

Do remember that the deadline is July 15 now, so you still have over three weeks to record something.

that's gay.. I submitted mine on time :D and it's an original!

randman21
06-22-2009, 04:30 AM
good!

randy! i need tracks!!!
Daaaaamn. Whoops. :o

Rooster
06-22-2009, 04:35 AM
Hey, if the mixtape's deadline has been postponed, maybe i could contribute something after all, since i start recording with my band in the first week of july (we plan to record everything in about 2 days). I'm not sure, but i hope that the songs will be mixed before the 15th...

T-6005
07-09-2009, 02:19 PM
Hope more submissions have been received at this point.

randman21
07-09-2009, 04:58 PM
For the record, I haven't submitted anything yet, but I have two songs in mind. I'll probably wait until the last minute because the songs are old, and I may want to switch one out with a new one if I record something new.

Llamas
07-09-2009, 05:06 PM
I haven't gotten any submissions since I extended the deadline.

Ryder1234
07-09-2009, 05:20 PM
I'm starting a song now. No idea how it'll sound yet I'm just kinda making drums and seeing what sounds cool. Hopefully I can finish it in time.

_Lost_
07-09-2009, 09:23 PM
I'm hoping to record soon, but between work, school, and sleep, I'm only left with about 4 hours a day with which to do everything else.

coke_a_holic
07-10-2009, 02:12 AM
July 20th, right? Blugh.

The song is written... I just can't... record it. Maybe I'll end up submitting the older-but-already-done song.

Llamas
07-10-2009, 02:36 PM
Alright, I'm pushing it back a bit further, but this is it. Starting the end of July, I'm gonna be way busy getting ready to move to Europe, so it has to be done before then.

SO the official deadline is July 20th. Ten days... and then I'm putting the mix together. I have a max of like 9 songs right now, and I'm not positive of who they're all by because some people didn't label their songs right.

I'll ask again: if you sent me a song, please PM me saying the name of your song and the name of the artist. The only person who's done this so far is Thibault (thanks, man). I have four tracks that don't say who the artist is, so I have no idea who they're by or if they're even meant to be on the mixtape. Please PM me!

Oxygene
07-11-2009, 01:30 AM
alright, i'm pushing it back a bit further, but this is it. Starting the end of july, i'm gonna be way busy getting ready to move to europe, so it has to be done before then.

So the official deadline is july 20th. Ten days... And then i'm putting the mix together. I have a max of like 9 songs right now, and i'm not positive of who they're all by because some people didn't label their songs right.

I'll ask again: If you sent me a song, please pm me saying the name of your song and the name of the artist. The only person who's done this so far is thibault (thanks, man). I have four tracks that don't say who the artist is, so i have no idea who they're by or if they're even meant to be on the mixtape. Please pm me!

*boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo*

:d

randman21
07-11-2009, 06:13 AM
*boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo*

:d

Dead serious, this was what I was gonna post. Same number of Os and everything. :D

Llamas
07-11-2009, 11:09 AM
Pssh randy you haven't even sent me a song... you can't boo!

ad8
07-11-2009, 03:22 PM
I'll ask again: if you sent me a song, please PM me saying the name of your song and the name of the artist. The only person who's done this so far is Thibault (thanks, man). I have four tracks that don't say who the artist is, so I have no idea who they're by or if they're even meant to be on the mixtape. Please PM me!
I could swear I pm'd you the name of my band and the title of the song. Did you receive my pm at all?

randman21
07-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Pssh randy you haven't even sent me a song... you can't boo!

Haha, yeah I know I have no right to boo. It was more of a selfish thing. July 15 is a symbolic day for me in relation to music. :P

Llamas
07-11-2009, 08:54 PM
I could swear I pm'd you the name of my band and the title of the song. Did you receive my pm at all?

I honestly don't have the PM... maybe I deleted it accidentally. Could you send it again?

Llamas
07-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Okay, guys. I think I have to just post this or else nothing's gonna get figured out... here are the songs I have for the mixtape:

Bed Religion - Ricetigers
Hopeless - Deadbeats
Rehab is for Dopesick Lovers/Stepping Stone - Static Martyr
Voice of a Million - Thibault Kervarech
Straight Flush/On One Condition (don't remember which) - DaPantz

If you sent me a song and it's not on this list, can you please send it again? If I don't get at least like 4 more songs, I don't know if it's worth "releasing" this one and people might just wanna wait til the next time around. I was gonna do a song, but my keyboard broke... and I just don't have the motivation to write a song without keyboard :-/ This mixtape isn't turning out to be too exciting :( Sorry to those who did complete songs and everything.

Superdope
07-12-2009, 12:08 PM
I'm pretty sure that many are in the same situation as me. The songs are there, they just aren't recorded yet, and seeing as the deadline is the 20th now, I wouldn't be surprised if many of the submissions would arrive on that day.

Thomas
07-12-2009, 12:15 PM
The deadline is on the 20th? I might be able to get my hands on a recent recording I did. I haven't heard it yet, but I'm pretty sure it's awful. But hey, it's better than nothing...?

_Lost_
07-12-2009, 10:16 PM
Fux. :( I felt really really awful Friday and then Saturday I was so happy to be feeling better that I didn't even think about recording. I slept most of Sunday so I could come to work. *will try tomorrow*

Homer
07-13-2009, 01:54 AM
I'm planning on submitting my song on the last day.

I've got something to submit, but I'm in the process of recording something else I'd like to submit.

coke_a_holic
07-13-2009, 02:22 AM
I've got something to submit, but I'm in the process of recording something else I'd like to submit.

This is my life.

I have two songs I could submit, but one isn't finished and the other is so similar to the one I submitted last time that I don't even know if I can do it with good conscience.

Llamas
07-16-2009, 05:44 PM
Four days!

coke_a_holic
07-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Ughhhh, I hate living at home with my family. They're so obtrusive and there's never anytime to record anything at all. Please leave me alone.

Looks unlikely that I'll magically finish some song within the next two days.

ad8
07-18-2009, 02:30 AM
So there probably haven't been any more submissions, have there?

randman21
07-18-2009, 02:51 AM
I bet there haven't been, but keep in mind that there will definitely be two from me. Right now, I'm just clamoring to finish writing and record a song that I think is better than one of the two I already have in mind, so I can replace one.

tayluhhx3
07-18-2009, 02:55 AM
this sounds really cool, i just joined the BBS yesterday believe it or not.
I play guitar and write some stuff, but i was wondering how you guys "record" your songs? any help??

randman21
07-18-2009, 02:58 AM
this sounds really cool, i just joined the BBS yesterday believe it or not.
I play guitar and write some stuff, but i was wondering how you guys "record" your songs? any help??
Heh, I believe it. Your profile says so. ;) About recording, there are many options. I'll VM you, to keep this thread on topic.

tayluhhx3
07-18-2009, 02:59 AM
Heh, I believe it. Your profile says so. ;) About recording, there are many options. I'll VM you, to keep this thread on topic.

VM? PM?? god help me..
lmao.

ad8
07-18-2009, 06:45 AM
VM? PM?? god help me..
lmao.

VM= Visitor Message, right?

Also, I'm relieved to see that you'll submit two songs Randy:)

coke_a_holic
07-19-2009, 12:43 AM
I fit an hour and a half of recording time in today and it has made all the difference. I will have anywhere between one and three songs ready for submission by late Monday.

Oxygene
07-19-2009, 06:50 AM
Okay, guys. I think I have to just post this or else nothing's gonna get figured out... here are the songs I have for the mixtape:

Bed Religion - Ricetigers
Hopeless - Deadbeats
Rehab is for Dopesick Lovers/Stepping Stone - Static Martyr
Voice of a Million - Thibault Kervarech
Straight Flush/On One Condition (don't remember which) - DaPantz

If you sent me a song and it's not on this list, can you please send it again? If I don't get at least like 4 more songs, I don't know if it's worth "releasing" this one and people might just wanna wait til the next time around. I was gonna do a song, but my keyboard broke... and I just don't have the motivation to write a song without keyboard :-/ This mixtape isn't turning out to be too exciting :( Sorry to those who did complete songs and everything.

lamas it's all lower case if that's ok and the deadbeats :)

thx

JohnnyNemesis
07-19-2009, 11:30 AM
Straight Flush, Brianna!!! On One Condition is a totally different thing that I'm using for something else!

And yeah, wtf people. Send some songzzzz.

randman21
07-20-2009, 05:16 AM
I ended playing basketball with my nephew and cousin on Saturday and woke up so tired and sore yesterday that I didn't feel like touching a guitar (I'm ridiculously out of shape). So it looks like I'm going with two oldies. Hope most of you haven't heard them!

_Lost_
07-20-2009, 05:52 AM
i sent her an instrumental that some of you have heard. i likes it tho so its all good.

dff_punk
07-20-2009, 06:22 AM
If there is so few songs, I might prolly send one of my instrumentals off my myspace, to fill in the blanks :) Sadly I still did not have the time to record any vocals :(

Homer
07-20-2009, 04:37 PM
So, I literally just finished recording and mixing my song about a half hour ago. It has been submitted.

I must say, though, that I am quite fond of this one. So I hope everyone enjoys it.

coke_a_holic
07-20-2009, 08:45 PM
Hey, so, this is... Like, "by Monday" as in... by 12AM Hawaii time, right? Because, like, I'm running a little late here.

This means that the songs are recorded and almost mixed. Almost.

Llamas
07-20-2009, 11:10 PM
I plan on listening to everything and getting the mixtape put together tomorrow evening/night. My inbox is full, but you can always VM me (or facebook if we're friends there). :)

randman21
07-21-2009, 02:09 AM
Oh crap. So you probably didn't get mine then (I sent it early yesterday, I think). I'll facebook it.

Free?
07-21-2009, 02:12 AM
I plan on listening to everything and getting the mixtape put together tomorrow evening/night. My inbox is full, but you can always VM me (or facebook if we're friends there). :)

Pro-tip: You can always delete the messages from your inbox ;].
Unless all of them are something very precious to you.

Oxygene
07-21-2009, 02:15 AM
Pro-tip: You can always delete the messages from your inbox ;].
Unless all of them are something very precious to you.

then u can export them and cherish them forever and ever and ever and ever

Free?
07-21-2009, 02:19 AM
then u can export them and cherish them forever and ever and ever and ever

With our great knowledge, we should be mods, my friend.

_Lost_
07-21-2009, 02:50 AM
Oh crap. So you probably didn't get mine then (I sent it early yesterday, I think). I'll facebook it.

if someone's pm box is full, i thought it notified you when you try to send that someone a message via pm.

let me know if you got mine brianna.

randman21
07-21-2009, 02:57 AM
Oh, yeeeah. That's right. I was thinking that it only notified the recipient. Too late, though.

coke_a_holic
07-21-2009, 03:02 AM
It's 5 AM here, which means it's midnight in Honolulu which means all of my songs are submitted! I got three finished for the mixtape, should they be needed! The last is a cover, though.

Don't worry, I don't sing on all of them.

Llamas
07-21-2009, 12:46 PM
lol @ mike's post.

I got Mike's, Karin's, and Randy's submissions. It notifies the sender if someone's pm box is full. I just haven't had time to go through and delete messages.

I'm gonna put one song from each person who submitted something, and if it seems a bit short, I might put a couple extras on. But I think it's more even/fair to have one song per person (as in the past).

Hopefully the mix will be up by the end of tonight :)

Homer
07-21-2009, 01:06 PM
Did you get mine?

ad8
07-21-2009, 01:07 PM
lol @ mike's post.

I got Mike's, Karin's, and Randy's submissions. It notifies the sender if someone's pm box is full. I just haven't had time to go through and delete messages.

I'm gonna put one song from each person who submitted something, and if it seems a bit short, I might put a couple extras on. But I think it's more even/fair to have one song per person (as in the past).

Hopefully the mix will be up by the end of tonight :)

Sweet:) Don't forget Homer's submission, though;)

Static_Martyr
07-21-2009, 01:12 PM
Did you get all of mine? I sent quite a few....too many, really 0.0 But did you get all of them?

Llamas
07-21-2009, 04:27 PM
Yeah I got yours too Homer. :) And Static I dunno if I got "all" of yours because I don't know how many you sent. But I got a lot from you.

Static_Martyr
07-21-2009, 05:59 PM
^Then you *probably* got enough of them :D

coke_a_holic
07-21-2009, 08:24 PM
I'm gonna put one song from each person who submitted something, and if it seems a bit short, I might put a couple extras on.

Aww, this is kind of a bummer for me; I really like both of the songs that I submitted, but if it comes down to one or the other, I'm going to have to ask that you pick my The Incompl song.

The other one is by my new band, but I didn't write the song or play anything other than guitar and bass on it, so it's less personal to me, even though it's one of my favorites.

_Lost_
07-21-2009, 10:45 PM
I wish I had recorded something new for this one. I just couldn't bring myself to record. Don't know why. But I like the song I sent in. Its short, but I like it.

Llamas
07-21-2009, 11:13 PM
Ran out of time to do it tonight. My life is so hectic lately... I'll try to get it together tomorrow. Sorry for delays, everyone.

Apathy
07-21-2009, 11:24 PM
So I don't mean to threadjack, but what do all you peeps use to record? Just wondering because it sure seems like most of you are doing this real Home Depot style and to be quite honest the quality doesn't sound terrible at all.

At least, from what I can tell from other songs on your various web pages.

coke_a_holic
07-22-2009, 01:05 AM
I use Garageband, but instead of the internal microphone on my laptop, I have a $25 mic that was made for voice chat on Skype. I use that record voices, acoustic guitars, and drums. Oh, plus a direct-output for my electric guitar and bass. Oh yeah and every synth/fake instrument part is played with an on-screen keyboard; my synthesizer was taken back by the girl who gave it to me.

I think most people use Audacity? I'm not sure. I assume most people have a real recording set-up; I'm way too poor for that. Nothing I use is professional in the least, and that's how I like it.

ad8
07-22-2009, 01:20 AM
So I don't mean to threadjack, but what do all you peeps use to record? Just wondering because it sure seems like most of you are doing this real Home Depot style and to be quite honest the quality doesn't sound terrible at all.

It would be a shame if my music didn't have at least a normal sound quality since I have a pile of equipment:D I record guitars through my effects processor and through my mixer into my pc. I record bass directly into my mixer(earlier I used my amp's line out which ran into the mixer). I create the drums on my pc and record the vocals with a studio microphone. I mix all of it in KRISTAL Audio Engine (freeware). Although my equipment was really low-priced I still think that I spent way too much money on it since right now I just record songs for myself and this BBS and don't even have a full band to play gigs with. But whatever:D

Homer
07-22-2009, 01:32 AM
I would just like to apologize to the few people who have already heard the song I submitted.

I'm sorry for ruining the surprise.

_Lost_
07-22-2009, 03:07 AM
I use Garageband, but instead of the internal microphone on my laptop, I have a $25 mic that was made for voice chat on Skype. ... ... Oh yeah and every synth/fake instrument part is played with an on-screen keyboard

lulz. only differences are that I have a $40 karaoke mic that I use instead of the built-in mic and I use the mic to record guitar because I like the tonal quality better from that over direct input (though I used to do that).

Static_Martyr
07-23-2009, 06:19 PM
So, ah....no rush (I won't have time to listen to it for a few more days, anyway), but....any idea when this is coming out? Wasn't it supposed to be the 20th, or did I miss something?

Homer
07-23-2009, 06:28 PM
so, ah....no rush (i won't have time to listen to it for a few more days, anyway), but....any idea when this is coming out? Wasn't it supposed to be the 20th, or did i miss something?

ran out of time to do it tonight. My life is so hectic lately... I'll try to get it together tomorrow. Sorry for delays, everyone.

BAM! This is black text.

Static_Martyr
07-23-2009, 06:39 PM
I swear I skimmed, but I never saw that....ah, well. That's why we put disclaimers in our posts, right? :cool: Thanks, in any case.

Ryder1234
07-23-2009, 09:21 PM

I probably spent to much on my setup. I have a $155 Apex mic, and that runs through a pretty nice preamp and into the mic slot. I use that for guitar and vocals if I have to. To record bass or drums I just run it directly into the mic slot. I use NCH RecordPad (http://www.nch.com.au/recordpad/index.html) to record, and NCH WavePad (http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/index.html) to mix/edit. Both are freeware.

Llamas
07-23-2009, 10:29 PM
So, ah....no rush (I won't have time to listen to it for a few more days, anyway), but....any idea when this is coming out? Wasn't it supposed to be the 20th, or did I miss something?

Yeah... I have all the songs here and such, I'm trying to get it done but I've been hella busy. It will be out SOON.

Static_Martyr
07-24-2009, 04:34 PM
Nah nah, it's cool! I just didn't see the notice is all. I can kill the time~

Llamas
07-25-2009, 02:30 AM
So I finally got the thing uploaded for you all! Without further ado,

The BBS Mixtape: Volume Three

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7JM1IVRW

1. Intro - Brianna Kase
3. Hopeless - The Deadbeats
5. Voice of a Million - Thibault Kervarech
7. Honeysuckle - Fireworks for Luna
8. Straight Flush - Da Pantz
10. Sad Fuckin' Song, Kay? - KD Shelton
------------------------------
14. Smash - Mike Radack

A few comments:

- I started it off with a little intro I wrote a few months ago. Sorry about the low quality, but I thought it worked well to start off the album?
- I made sure there was one song by each person who submitted something, and then put a few covers at the end. I'm not sure how Randy got two full original songs, but hopefully everyone's alright with that :P
- I tried to vary genres throughout by trying to split up the rock/punk songs with other types.
- Uhh I guess that's it? I did get a song written! I wrote it tonight in a few hours.
- Hooray mixtape!!! We did it! :)

ad8
07-25-2009, 02:41 AM
Nice:) A huge thanks goes to you for compiling and organising this, Brianna!
I'm gonna download it now and then post my opinion. Are you going to edit the first post in this thread? That might make it easier to find for those who don't frequently visit the Your Band section.

randman21
07-25-2009, 02:42 AM
YES! I woke up exactly when you posted this. Will listen now.

I'm not sure how Randy got two full original songs, but hopefully everyone's alright with that :P
I'm okay with that! :p

YES!

Llamas
07-25-2009, 02:46 AM
Nice:) A huge thanks goes to you for compiling and organising this, Brianna!
I'm gonna download it now and then post my opinion. Are you going to edit the first post in this thread? That might make it easier to find for those who don't frequently visit the Your Band section.
Good idea, I'll do it. :)

YES!

hahaha! I'm glad you're okay with that ;)

ad8
07-25-2009, 02:48 AM

I'm ok with that, too.
But Randy, you woke up at 5:30 AM?:eek:

Llamas
07-25-2009, 02:58 AM
Oh my god, so I just listened through the tape beginning to end for the first time, and it's awesome! My only current comment (I'll give a review later) is that Mike's cover of Smash is AMAZING!!! So many <33333s!!!

randman21
07-25-2009, 03:03 AM
I'm ok with that, too.
But Randy, you woke up at 5:30 AM?:eek:
Thanks! And 4:30. :D My sleep pattern is busted up at the moment.

Oh, and I'm glad Mike's Smash is on here. I've been wanting to hear it, but was too lazy to download. Starting the Mixtape now!

ad8
07-25-2009, 03:19 AM
Thanks! And 4:30. :D My sleep pattern is busted up at the moment.

Oh, and I'm glad Mike's Smash is on here. I've been wanting to hear it, but was too lazy to download. Starting the Mixtape now!
lol. And I thought I was the one who got up early in the morning(I woke up at 8 AM today:D)

randman21
07-25-2009, 03:30 AM
...Did "Standing Tall" get cut off?

Llamas
07-25-2009, 03:33 AM
I noticed that, too. I forgot to mention it in my post about mike's cover. I think he sent me a bad version, cause my original gets cut off.

randman21
07-25-2009, 03:35 AM
Ah, okay. I expect this sort of thing from the Incompl, but c'mon Homer! :mad:

ad8
07-25-2009, 03:57 AM
...Did "Standing Tall" get cut off?

I think so. But I won't complain since the first version I downloaded is even shorter(1:27):D

_Lost_
07-25-2009, 06:30 AM
i hold no grudges that randy has two songs. i'm a big fan of both of those songs. <3 'em

*downloads*

EDIT: *listening*

Static_Martyr
07-25-2009, 06:53 AM
*downloading*

*switching files to a different computer that has .rar support*

*taking files out of .rar file*

*putting them in a folder as individual mp3s*

*listening*

EDIT: Alright, I just made it to Oxygene's song and I will say this. HOLY. SHIT. This is good quality. It sounds like a fucking real professional band on record :D I am.....well, I am amazed 0.0 This sounds like something I would hear playing on alternative radio or something. It's just....great~

ad8
07-25-2009, 09:27 AM
Alright, I just made it to Oxygene's song and I will say this. HOLY. SHIT. This is good quality. It sounds like a fucking real professional band on record :D I am.....well, I am amazed 0.0 This sounds like something I would hear playing on alternative radio or something. It's just....great~
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is because it IS a professional band on a real record label that probably gets played on alternative radio:D

JohnnyNemesis
07-25-2009, 09:55 AM
Holy SHIT, this Mixtape is good. Ricetigers!!! Against Belief!!!! Mike (who already knows I love him) are all so fucking good!

But the one who really blows my mind on this Mixtape is Randy. He puts me to shame. I'm seriously like "whoa what the fuck". Too too too good. Fuck you Randy, I love you.

mrconeman
07-25-2009, 09:58 AM
Really is a shame I couldn't participate this time around, but things have been really exciting for me musically in the last few days, Brianna knows of what I speak, so I know I will *definitely* have something for the next mixtape.

But I'll get this one downloaded and do my traditional track by track review anyway :)

coke_a_holic
07-25-2009, 10:00 AM
Aww, this is kind of a bummer for me; I really like both of the songs that I submitted, but if it comes down to one or the other, I'm going to have to ask that you pick my The Incompl song.

:( I was really hoping Cat's Cradle would be on this instead of Honeysuckle :(

Oh well, I'll still listen.

Llamas
07-25-2009, 10:32 AM
:( I was really hoping Cat's Cradle would be on this instead of Honeysuckle :(

Oh well, I'll still listen.

Sorry, I liked Honeysuckle better and thought it worked better with the rest of the songs on the album. And I forgot you said that.

coke_a_holic
07-25-2009, 10:42 AM
Hahaha, it's cool; I had just woken up and was all bummed, but I'm over it. Honeysuckle is a ballin' song.

Plus, the Smash cover made it. This is great news! Now the Mixtape has 5% more death metal, as well.

Llamas
07-25-2009, 10:47 AM
Shit, I just remembered that Karin and I did a cover of Damien Rice's "9 Crimes" and it totally should've been on there with the other covers. :(

coke_a_holic
07-25-2009, 10:49 AM
Ah, okay. I expect this sort of thing from the Incompl, but c'mon Homer! :mad:

Psh, what's this supposed to mean! Are you accusing me of unprofessionalism? Because I think we all know I'm the most professional of all the bands here.

dff_punk
07-25-2009, 11:21 AM
I just finished listening to the whole thing, and I pretty much liked what I heard, almost every song is really great! Too bad I did not participate after all, but all you guys did a great job. Maybe I will do a review soon if I get to it. Oh and Bed Religion is really a great starter song, gets you all pumped up and stuff, thats what I will say for now.

Static_Martyr
07-25-2009, 11:24 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is because it IS a professional band on a real record label that probably gets played on alternative radio

Seriously? Is that true, Oxy? If so, that makes me feel a little better; if it's an actual label producing that kind of quality, then that's a standard I know I can't match yet anyway, so it's cool. But to know that somebody that can make a song with that level of quality in their living room (or bedroom, or basement, or other makeshift home studio room) absolutely puts all of Static Martyr's work to shame :(

Either way, though....DAMN. That is a fine-sounding track. I'm almost done listening; I'll put up my reviews and such later on.

Llamas
07-25-2009, 11:59 AM
Okay, so here comes the standard Llama-review. You knew it was coming!

1. Intro - Brianna Kase
Haha, honestly this isn't very good. I uploaded it with the mix before I realized how abruptly it ends and how much background noise there is. Oh well. :P

2. Bed Religion - Ricetigers 7.5/10
Well, I dig it. I think this is the best thing I've heard from Ricetigers, and it sounds much cleaner and balanced than the song from the last mixtape. The singer's voice is much easier to take this time - I actually like it. However, I tend to think that your songs don't have a lot of variation... it might be partially because they all stick in the pop-punk vein, but I don't know. I think it's just how the songs are written. But it's a good song. :)

3. Hopeless - Deadbeats 8/10
This song clearly has the best production and such on the mix, for obvious reasons. Overall, it's a fine song. The reason it gets up to an 8 is cause of the ending. The song as a whole didn't do a whole lot for me - kinda typical pop punk. But I really enjoyed the ska stuff at the end (without it, the song would probably get a 7). I also enjoyed the tempo changes throughout... makes for some nice variation. And the part around 1.50 with the cool sounding guitar riff sounded really neat. Honestly, this song could grow on me. It has enough variation to keep me interested.

4. O.L.E. - Randy 8.5/10
I really like this song, even though you're singing in a high range! The chorus has a really neat sound to it, and the harmonies are fun. I think the upper range singing and a somewhat more repetitive song structure are what keep this song from a higher rating. The song title is really clever, though :)

5. Voice of a Million - Thibault 9.5/10
This reminds me of that band Per told me about from Denmark... Sort Sol. It's very interesting. It's very cool to hear you singing. Some of the instrument work in here is so clever and the song keeps me guessing. I almost feel like the vocals could stand to be a bit louder, but I really like being able to hear what all the instruments are doing. The solo is really fricken' sweet, too.

6. Rehab is for Dopesick Lovers - Static Martyr 7.5/10
Not a huge fan of the verse, but after the first verse and it goes into the guitar stuff, I like it. The song gets better as it builds into it, and I like the uncommon song structure. However, your melody is very repetitive and predictable. I think you could've done a lot more with it! Overall, it's a pretty nice song (for a song about taking pills, haha).

7. Honeysuckle - Fireworks for Luna 9.5/10
Oh Mike, your voice :P This song is great. You already know I love your song writing. So you didn't write this one? I don't remember what your PM said. The timing is slightly off with the synth, but I like it. Sorry I didn't pick the other song, but I really like this oneeeeee. And honestly your voice sounds way better when you yell like this because it doesn't sound like you need to hit the pitches (vocals are too quiet around 2 min though). ^5! edit: I just noticed, your music has grown on me. I gave you 6's on the last mixtapes, and now a 9.5?? Jesus, man!

8. Straight Flush - Da Pantz 8/10
Well it's not one of my favorites of yours, and as you told me it was a throwaway track. It's pretty good, and it is as good as some of the stuff on your album... but not one of my favorites. I do like how playful the notes are in much of the song, and the ending is pretty sweet.

9. Standing Tall - Against Belief 7.5/10
Pretty pissed this got cut off! Personally, I like your acoustic stuff better than the punk stuff. But this is pretty good. The verses are sort of boring melodically, but I liked the yelling part (chorus?) while the guitars are quiet. Good stuff. Might have gotten better after it cut off, too :P

10. Sad Fuckin' Song, Kay? - KD Shelton 7/10
Well this is definitely different for you. I think you had me listen to this once before, and it's cool to hear you try something like this. The intro and ending are the best parts, with the middle section of chords feeling like it needs something more. But the harmonies in the intro and ending are well placed. :)

11. Going Down - Randy 9.5/10
Heard this before of course, and I like it. I like it even more now! The changes work really well. I love your vocal harmonies in this so much. By far your best harmonies of all your songs I've heard. And you made that part toward the end after the solo where it goes back to the chorus work really well.

12. Off We Go - Me
So I wrote this in just a few hours, after a couple months of not writing any music because my keyboard broke. This was the first song I wrote without a keyboard in about a year. It was weird, and the song went through a lot of changes from what I heard in my head to what came out in recording. I didn't really like it as I was writing it, but I think it's okay now that it's done. The quality is not too good (it's far too quiet), but I'm alright with it. :)

Maybe I'll review the covers later...

JohnnyNemesis
07-25-2009, 01:45 PM
Mike's cover of Smash: 1,000,000/10.

Superdope
07-25-2009, 01:50 PM
Something came up, so i haven't been at home for a long time. Happy to see that the Mixtape is finished, although I would have loved to add a song to it. Ah well, next time for sure. Downloading it now.

I guess it's time to come up with the artwork?

PS: I want to marry Mike's version of Smash

randman21
07-25-2009, 08:49 PM
Smash cover? 1,000,000/10 sounds about right.

But the one who really blows my mind on this Mixtape is Randy. He puts me to shame. I'm seriously like "whoa what the fuck". Too too too good. Fuck you Randy, I love you.
Wowowow, so many thanks and <3s. Really. And fuck you for your entry. I've been a silent fan, and this is one of my favorites of yours.

Psh, what's this supposed to mean! Are you accusing me of unprofessionalism? Because I think we all know I'm the most professional of all the bands here.
Haha, of course! Perhaps I should have said "pardon the pun".
Ya know, the song cuts off unexpectedly, therefore "incompl"

Homer
07-26-2009, 01:54 AM
I'm pretty unhappy about my song being cut-off, as the file wasn't corrupt, but rather the servers I hosted it on are fucking terrible and like to disagree with some people's IP's.

Here's three different ways to listen to it:

http://againstbelief.comxa.com/site_files/Standing%20Tall.mp3
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WYN70C9X
http://www.myspace.com/againstbelief

Free?
07-26-2009, 05:51 PM
I've listened the album only once, but it's the best-built mixtape for sure. Songs fit each other very well, it goes smoothly. I've heard about half of the material already, but I still have few words to throw besides that it's 100% enjoyable stuff.

The Intro was a llamas-intro, Bed Religion was a Ricetigers song (well, heavily influenced by Randy and Tim), Oxy, can you, liek, upload an album of your band or something cuz I dig your' shit?, I don't know if I'm understood, but hearing Randy Williams never sounded so good, T, your vocals sound FREE on this song, I mean, on all your previous works voice was kinda too, eh, shy, like you were holding it, this time you've let it go, man!, Tim, Brianna has chosen a great punky tune (I think there were many your songs to choose from) so it's a fantastic piece to be right after T's song, Honeysuckle is something Rancid would never could do, JN, this song about heterosexuality and toilet splashing is a very "your album's name (:o)"-song, I guess it's an outtake, Homer, I'm surprised with your voice which sounds like you're a vocalist in aprofessional band, it doesn't fit your face lulz, also, I kinda think that crash-cymbals (or are those hi-hats Imma nub) are too loud at some places, Karin, I'm adding a my own vocal line to your song and I'm fucking sad, beautiful *sniff*, next is Randy Williams never sounded so good issue, Brianna, you must be singing lower or something, but I feel difference from your usual manner, dunno, no tearz for u this time!, Generator cover is a Generator cover and Static Martyr is Static Martyr, I fucking enjoy Mike's growling soo much now, Cammy Theme is a video game track cover and you know who's the best gametrack covermaker here, right?

Thank you ladies and gentlemen, I'll be enjoying this for months.

_Lost_
07-27-2009, 05:44 AM
Shit, I just remembered that Karin and I did a cover of Damien Rice's "9 Crimes" and it totally should've been on there with the other covers. :(

oh fuxx... :(

post it now as an adder! I don't mind adding it to the list at the end! It came out sooooo soooo sooooo amazinglingly purtiful!

EDIT: So I've finally listened to it all the way through and I have to say I have absolutely no complaints. These things keep getting better and better. Tim, I always love your acoustic cover songs. I love the way you play. If someone makes artwork for this one, the must find a way to include "With 5% more metal". I get full of grins listening to this stuff at work. Half of the time if I'm listening to music at work, its the mixtapes or other BBS music.

Oxygene
07-27-2009, 11:04 AM
Seriously? Is that true, Oxy? If so, that makes me feel a little better; if it's an actual label producing that kind of quality, then that's a standard I know I can't match yet anyway, so it's cool. But to know that somebody that can make a song with that level of quality in their living room (or bedroom, or basement, or other makeshift home studio room) absolutely puts all of Static Martyr's work to shame :(

Either way, though....DAMN. That is a fine-sounding track. I'm almost done listening; I'll put up my reviews and such later on.

What you guys said is fucking awesome thanks for the compliments... We aren't a proffessional band, we've never had a record label and didn't get any real radio airplay. We did however work for years and go grossly in debt to finance a producer and a studio. So it isn't a kind of home set up, but our blood sweat and tears are in there for sure.

I wish people would pay attention to bands who don't come from the western world :(

Really thanks for the compliments everyone.. the quality on these recordings is surprisingly awesome!

I'm donating a track for edition 4 for sure :)

Llamas
07-27-2009, 01:43 PM
Edit: I uploaded! So here: http://www.savefile.com/files/2165131

A bonus pack: the whole version of Homer's song (it worked this time), fixed versions of the intro and song I submitted, AND the cover Lost and I did together! :)

I have absolutely no complaints.
These things keep getting better and better.I strongly agree with these sentiments. And I also really love that we do these mixtapes. I occasionally have friends of mine listen to one of the songs off these albums... I actually sent the entire last one to a friend and he loved it. :)

I'm out of the country in less than a month, and I really hope I can get my hands on at least a keyboard or a guitar while I'm there... it'd be really sad to miss out on mixtapes cause I don't have any instruments! But even if I can't contribute in the future, I'll always keep listening!

offspringer24
07-29-2009, 07:26 AM
fuck, i missed this one, had a great song for it too :(

maybe next time :)

ad8
07-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Alright, it's maybe a little late but whatever. I wanted to comment on this mixtape since it came out but somehow I didn't manage to do it.
I think the quality of the BBS mixtapes has constantly improved and this one is really, really good. We should definately continue making these.

1. Intro - Brianna Kase
This is a nice idea that we could stick with during future mixtapes. Like, there is one volunteer who creates an intro (and outro?) for the mixtape to give it a general "theme". Whatever, this was just what I thought about the idea of an Intro song. The Intro itself is a good song, although it sounds a bit melancholic to me.

This is one of my favourite songs that went through thousands of versions. I hope this final version is appropriate:o

3. hopeless - deadbeats
What can I say, the quality is professional; just like it was recorded in an expensive professional studio. I especially like the ska-part of the song and the last chorus.

Excellent song. As I already said before somewhere, your voice seems suited for this kind of music. I also love the guitar riffs and the general atmosphere of the song.

5. Voice Of A Million - Thibault Kervarech
This song is interesting considering your earlier(instrumental) works like Plaquot or Egyptian Robot Battle. I think you did a big change in style, but the new Thibault and the old Thibault can coexist perfectly. I liked your early stuff, but I am also impressed by your new songs. What I liked about Voice Of A Million was the Piano and that other instrument that I can't name because my english sucks(is that a wurlitzer or a synthesizer maybe?). Anyway, the instruments create a beautiful atmosphere/overall song.

This is a solid song, although I was not completely blown away by it. But that is ok, I mean the problem is probably that I am used to be blown away by your songs. So what I am trying to express here is: Static Martyr is an awesome band and I liked this song. I just don't adore it to death like many other songs of yours(The Answer, Just Us(Alone), What If (Luck Of The Draw), Hangman, etc.

7. Honeysuckle - Fireworks For Luna
Hm... Acoustic guitars... distorted guitars... loud vocals... keyboards... I can hear the BTMI! influence;) Which doesn't mean that I don't appreciate it... I really like the song. It sounds really vivid and energetic. Good job!

8. Straight Flush - DaPantz
Well, I don't really know what to say about this song because I'm not familiar with electronic music. But from what I heard, it was fast and groovy (=rad!):)

This one sounds better with every listen. I like the guitar in the beginning and from that point it just gets more and more epic. Also, that's a nice gunshot noise in the end... where did you get that from?

10. sad fuckin' song, kay? - KD Shelton
This one is a beautiful quiet acoustic song. I do think that it could be even better with your vocals in that song, though;) Still a very good job!

Another great song from the "Randy"-side project. The guitar solo is awesome^3. I still think that this song could do great on the radio, but which song on this mixtape couldn't?

Another nice acoustic song. I really like your vocals in this one. To me you sound a little like the singer of Wir Sind Helden in this one. I also like the relaxing atmosphere of this song. Great job!

Hah, we've got something in common here! A while ago, the Ricetigers covered this song, too. So... I really like the original and I also like this cover. The slightly slowered pace creates a really relaxed mood and one can enjoy every chord, every note of the guitar solo and every word you say.

14. Smash - Mike Radack
Well, the original has not much in common with this version anymore except the lyrics. Still I like both the original and this cover. The guitar solo and the keyboard parts are most enjoyable and the death metal part made me laugh. I'm not sure if I'm going to hear a more innovative cover anymore.

Awesomeness, as usual for an Against Belief video game theme cover.

Well, enough said.
Subjective rating: <3/10
Objective rating: 8.5/10

As I said, let's keep this up!

_Lost_
07-31-2009, 02:27 AM
wouldn't both be considered subjective ratings since you weren't basing your ratings on specific laid out criteria. Do you have a rubric with which to prove this lack of subjectivity?

EDIT: Needz moAr reviews

ad8
07-31-2009, 03:40 AM
wouldn't both be considered subjective ratings since you weren't basing your ratings on specific laid out criteria. Do you have a rubric with which to prove this lack of subjectivity?

Hah, yeah of course. But I guess everyone got the point;)

T-6005
07-31-2009, 12:07 PM
I'm glad everyone seemed to like my song, as I'm pretty proud of it and I was afraid the solo wouldn't go over well since it's a little way from what might be expected in a solo.

It's a MIDI patch called Percussion Organ with a slight flange added to it to tweak the sound and give it a slightly spacey vibe.

I'm afraid I haven't been able to listen to the mixtape yet - I'm in France and the less said about the way I've gotten on the internet, the better.

But within the week I should be able to add my thoughts to those of everyone else. Glad to see reviews of the Mixtape have been so positive.

Llamas
07-31-2009, 10:15 PM
I agree... I already gave mine, though - where's yours? :P

_Lost_
07-31-2009, 10:24 PM
I'm never on my home computer and I can't find my ipod. Holding off on a review until one of these things changes.

Ryder1234
07-31-2009, 10:30 PM
My review will be coming tomorrow hopefully- haven't gotten a good listen till today cause I was focused on recording and writing my new song, but today I listened up until Going Down. Gonna listen to the rest tomorrow.

I can't wait for the next one, the song I just finished is gonna be better than Save The Day by a lot once lyrics are recorded, sounds great now though without them too.

Can I do the next intro? I've got a good riff that wouldn't work in a full song but I've got an idea for a short intro-like song.

randman21
08-01-2009, 06:17 AM
It's like the tape is so good that anything negative thing I say will contradict how much love I have for it. But I'll review it eventually.

Llamas
08-01-2009, 06:24 PM
It's like the tape is so good that anything negative thing I say will contradict how much love I have for it. But I'll review it eventually.

Noticing imperfections and flaws is a sign of admiration, in my opinion. It means you really listened closely and care. Usually if someone tells me something I did was great and perfect and wonderful, I get the impression that they didn't really look closely at it and just took a face value. I personally love criticism, as long as it's not "wow, that was really, really bad", haha. :)

Homer
08-01-2009, 06:36 PM
My review:

The Mixtape was great and perfect and wonderful!

But seriously, I'll have one up soon.

Static_Martyr
08-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Personally, I was actually a little relieved to see some criticism leveled our way this time....as much as I like to hear positive comments, if someone just always gives me general praise, I get the feeling that they're just stroking my ego.

Also, I knew that the song that got picked wasn't one of our better ones....I really wanted to submit this new song that I just finished called Temperance, but I didn't get it done in time. I think it would've been perfect for this mixtape.

Apathy
08-02-2009, 10:04 PM
I honestly can barely hear a difference between Mike's music and BTMI!

coke_a_holic
08-02-2009, 10:21 PM
I honestly can barely hear a difference between Mike's music and BTMI!

Seriously? <333

I don't really listen to him that often anymore, but it still means a lot to me that I sound slightly-better-than-unprofessional.

Apathy
08-04-2009, 05:09 PM
Aye. The only song I ever really loved of BTMI's was I'm Terrorfied! though.

T-6005
08-10-2009, 07:08 AM
Back in Canada and on the internet.

Downloading the mixtape now, I'll give it a listen and review it today or tomorrow. Excited!

Llamas
08-21-2009, 11:22 PM
I'm super disappointed by the lack of people responding to the mixtape :(

Homer
08-22-2009, 01:28 AM
Fuck, I totally ignored this!

I've been busy as all hell lately, what with the two new jobs, my new site, me trying to reform my band, etc. But, I'll surely make some time to write up a review in the very near future. I PROMISE!

T-6005
08-25-2009, 04:31 PM
Brianna - Intro - Notes are a little muddled together. It kind of gives a 70s Asian kung-fu movie vibe to the whole thing, especially with the choice of lead instrument. Some nicely placed discordant note choices really bring the entire thing together instead of driving it apart. This is quite good.8/10

Ricetigers - Bed Religion - this doesn't sound very bed-like, I must say. I definitely pick up on your influence, here, though. It's good, but everything blends together a little bit in the chorus. Are you panning any of the voices? It helps a lot. Something else I personally do is copy my guitar track, then pan one all the way right and the other all the way left. I feel it helps combat clutter. The song itself has a good dose of epic, otherwise. The little guitar solo bit at the end sounds superfluous though. 7.5/10

The Deadbeats - Hopeless - The drums had me tapping my foot within the first few seconds. The intro's a little long and repetitive, though. The verse is pretty fun - it's got that Saturday night music quality to it, something I've actually found is lacking in rock music I hear these days. It's a welcome element in this song. The bridge, while very cool on its own, doesn't really seem like it squares with the rest of the song to it, though it builds into something pretty awesome in its own right. Head-nodding fun. The horns break came out of nowhere and took me completely by surprise, but in an extremely well-done way. In the end, this song left me a fan 8.5/10

Randy Williams - O.L.E - I'm seriously jealous. Your mixing is awesome, the song's pretty much perfectly balanced, the harmony is pretty much awesome, and your voice is bang on. You may as well go hit it big right now. I also enjoyed the lyrics immensely, which is pretty unusual for me. I tend not to listen to the words at all, actually.10/10

Thibault Kervarech - Voice of a Million - Hope you guys like it, really. ?/10

Static Martyr - Rehab is for Dopesick Lovers - This has got a nice little Buzzcocks vibe, which would be a compliment to me if I wrote a song like this. I hope it is to you as well. The drums make a nice departure from the predictable for most of the song, too. All the same, it doesn't really grip me, but that's more of a genre bias, since the song itself is solid. 8/10

Fireworks for Luna - Honeysuckle - Mike, your voice in this song had me laughing. But it's well-mixed and somehow manages to fit everything together. Not to mention that instead of pushing your guitars forward (a mistake I personally admit to doing all the time) you chose to relegate them to a background so that we're aware of them, but they don't fill the song. 8/10

DaPantz - Straight Flush - Honestly, this one's a little frantic for my taste. It grew on me after the first listen, but there are still times where I'm not sure what's going on songwise. Still, overall it comes and goes quickly, and there are some seriously cool bits throughout the song, and it leaves you with the feeling that it's progressed from beginning to end.7.5/10

Against Belief - Standing Tall - Intro reminds me of that sum 41 bonus track, then there's some good rock feeling. It's fun, but honestly I think the voice and guitar follow each other too much during the verse. The chorus gets rid of that problem, and it's quite fun. It gets cut off. Unfortunately, while fun, I've kind of moved past this sort of music. It's got some really great elements, though, but they're broken up too much by the monotony in the verse. Not my favorite thing you've ever done, I'm afraid. 7/10 - This review's based on the first 2:26 of the song. It sounded like the bridge was going somewhere pretty cool, so more than likely this is a lower score than I'd give the completed version)

KD Shelton - Sad fuckin' song, kay? - Sounds pretty sad to me, but nothing happens. I'm terribly sorry, Lost, it just doesn't really feel like much of a song. Where was that voice of yours? 4/10

Randy Williams - Going Down - Seriously great vocal harmonies. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, your songs remind me of the Beach Boys - they've got that ethereal pop sensibility combined with great harmonies and a feeling that even though parts of the song repeat, you're not hearing the same thing twice, ever. There's even a sweet guitar solo in here! Is there nothing you can't do better than me? 9.5/10

Brianna - Off We Go - It's not quite minimalistic, but the guitar/voice combo sounds stylishly bare starting out, with no drums or bass - a good choice. The harmonies are nice, and though I can't tell chord progressions just from listening to them I have to say that the ones in the chorus stick out to me as slightly unorthodox. I feel like towards the end the song could have used some drums to give it that last dynamic push in the last minute or so.9/10

Static Martyr - Generator. Holy. Shit. The voice fits this version of the song perfectly, and give it an absolutely fucking great vibe. I don't enjoy the instrumental bit, but the vocal bits are nothing short of ludicrously evocative - I feel they capture the soul of the song perfectly. The instrumental bits let this song down, though. I'm sorry but I just don't enjoy those parts. Vocals bits - 10/10 Instrumental bits - 3/10

Mike Radack - Smash - What a cover should be. A very different version of the song, with some seriously awesome elements. 9/10 from me.

Against Belief - Cammy's Theme - a sweet cover. The guitars work incredibly well together. Is that a keyboard in the background? It really keeps everything together quite well. Color me impressed, especially on your managing of the dynamics and transitions. 9/10

My final grade of this mixtape is not an average, it's a subjective total. I'd give it an 8.5 out of 10 total. Nearly every song is solid - if you're sad that I gave you a seven, then you need to rethink your outlook because I give most Offspring songs about a 6. A few seriously standout moments, like the beginning of Generator, O.L.E's chorus and end, the post-chorus bit in Smash, llamas' smooth intro followed by the Ricetigers' BBS mixtape kick-in-the-face, Ricky's electrifying mid-act change and pretty much everyone's technical and imaginative prowess. An 8.5 is downright amazing.

Congratulations, guys - can't wait for the next one!

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
08-25-2009, 05:18 PM
randy kicks ass
and according to t-6005, randman seems to be a good mixer

randman21
08-25-2009, 11:23 PM
So here it is. Llamas has guilted me into writing a review (jkjkjk). I don't have the patience for well thought-out critique right now, so forgive me if it becomes random statements in succession.
EDIT: PLEASE guys, talk about your song(s) if you do a review. I'm feeling incredibly pretentious, reading what I put down there.

Intro

After only one listen, the piano part was stuck in my head. It's very smooth and mysterious. I imagine myself walking through a forest, treading softly in order to steer clear of the Ochus and Adamantoises that lurk within. The mid-ness of the sax in this makes my brain rattle, but the part itself works. Also, I have to point out that the background noise reminds me of a waterfall.

Bed Religion

I love the chorus. And the lead guitar part (and eventually the solo that it leads into). The vocal harmonies are indeed nice in this one, but I'd second what T said, that you should pan them. I still find it amazing that you can have multiple vocals at such low tones without it all sounding muddy. What's your secret?

Hopeless

Everything about it is just pro, and I'm not even talking about the quality. It's a bit all over the place, which I sometimes don't like, but it totally works for you because it all sounds awesome. The intro sounds like it was conceived by someone who knew what he was doing. I don't know how I missed this the first time, but that part from 1:44 to 2:14 is probably my favorite part of the whole mixtape. I wanna steal it and base an entire song from it. The transition from that to the main "theme" of the song is also nice. The horn part is great. The tempo increase is great. It's a great song.

O.L.E.

The whole idea of the song came about in a "you had to be there" situation, so I'll spare you that. But basically, my friend was lamenting that her brother Jesse had a song about him (I'm sure you can guess which one she meant) and she didn't. So I wrote this. Hope I don't sound vain, but this is easily my favorite song that I've ever written. Funny, seeing as I didn't like it much until the solo made me change my mind. My most favoritest parts are sadly inaudible/unnoticeable (the bass part during the chorus and rhythm of the ride cymbal during the solo). I agree with Llamas about the repetiveness of the melody around the, what, fourth verse? I was gonna spice it up with some lead guitar, but I was tired of recording by then. Thanks for listening to the song everyone!

Voice of a Million

Your voice at its best, T! The heavy reverb you put on your vocals is becoming like a cool trademark. It always works. OMGee, The solo is easily my favorite part of this song. It's amazing. This is the sort of thing I can't do. I have an average amount of knowledge of music theory, but coming up with something like that must require something extra. Anyway, did you use an organ and xylophone for that part? This is a damn good song, but I really wish you would turn the vocal track up in your songs. Haha, your singing is nowhere near as bad as you think.

Rehab is for Dopesick Lovers

In the last mixtape, the low quality helped your song in my eyes, but I think it hurt it a little in this one. Not enough for me to dislike this ditty, though. You rarely (if ever) write a song I can't get into. I don't like it as much as the last one, but the lyrics are cleverer, your singing is better, and the mixing is a whole lot better. As a songwriter, I really look up to you the most (and it seems a lot of us do :D), and the way your style is progressing is inspiring.

Honeysuckle

I'm so confused about this...is this Mike singing all along? This may sound very weird, but how I feel about the vocals greatly depends on the answer to that question. If it's you, I think it's really cool that you can sound completely different from your usually docile-sounding self (which I also like). If not, I'm not a huge fan. Heh. The intonality is good, but he really, really, needs to work on enunciation. I can't understand one damn word in the whole song. I love EVERYTHING else about this, though, especially the chorus. And upon looking at the lyrics, they are wonderful.

Straight Flush

Forgive me for the short review, but I just couldn't find a way to describe anything! But as I said before, I like it, though it obviously isn't the genre I'm most familiar with. For the record, I'm in love with Danger Line.

Standing Tall

I'd pretty much say what Thibault said, although I like it more and the verse didn't bother me as much as it did him. The chorus is awesome.

(shit I'm started to get tired of typing)

Sad Fuckin' Song, Kay?

I've had the privelege of hearing this live, and it just grips ya. I don't know if it's just me, but I get _lost_ in deep thought when this song is on. I get all introspective and stuff. Especially the ending. I would have really loved if the song you'd planned to be on had made it.

Going Down

Is there nothing you can't do better than me?

I lol'd. Thanks! For starters, how about guitar? I'm not as good at guitar as that solo may have you believe. I must stress that it was broken up into about four parts! I could probably almost play it now, though, but going from regular picking to tapping and back is impossible for me.

Allow me to take a little time to explain something. Both O.L.E. and Going Down are part of a concept album I was writing, but have currently given up on. The basic story was...a couple of addicts meet each other at a party and become an item. She eventually gets clean, and when he can't, leaves him. He finally gets clean, hoping it'll bring her back. It doesn't. Going Down is just one big "fuck it". He goes to another drug party and throws down. Then some other stuff happens, then in O.L.E., he gets drunk and tries to find her.

Off We Go

Hehehe. I love the affectation you put on while singing this. Doesn't even sound like you for a while into it. It is a really good song, too. You say you came up with this last minute? You brought your A game, lady. And so did your guitar...why doesn't it sound crappy like it always does?

As for the rest, everything I want to say has been said. Good job, all!

No song has amazed me the way Acoustic Secrets did on the last tape, but overall, this edition is leagues better. Not a weak track among 'em.

Homer
08-26-2009, 12:06 AM
Against Belief - Standing Tall - Intro reminds me of that sum 41 bonus track, then there's some good rock feeling. It's fun, but honestly I think the voice and guitar follow each other too much during the verse. The chorus gets rid of that problem, and it's quite fun. It gets cut off. Unfortunately, while fun, I've kind of moved past this sort of music. It's got some really great elements, though, but they're broken up too much by the monotony in the verse. Not my favorite thing you've ever done, I'm afraid. 7/10 - This review's based on the first 2:26 of the song. It sounded like the bridge was going somewhere pretty cool, so more than likely this is a lower score than I'd give the completed version)

The problem's been fixed a while ago...

But here's a fresh download link that everyone can enjoy! (http://www.servercrashers.com/site_files/Standing%20Tall.mp3)

No song has amazed me the way Acoustic Secrets did on the last tape

Damn, I wish I could enjoy that song as much as everyone else...

_Lost_
08-26-2009, 01:05 AM
Sad Fuckin' Song, Kay?

I've had the privelege of hearing this live, and it just grips ya. I don't know if it's just me, but I get _lost_ in deep thought when this song is on. I get all introspective and stuff. Especially the ending. I would have really loved if the song you'd planned to be on had made it.

Me and my guitar tend to have that effect on people when combined. ;) lol When you heard me play that song, wasn't I still stuck on it? I don't think I could even play it all the way through at that point without fucking it up royally. Not because its real difficult or anything. I just suck. I'm surprised at the positivity towards that song overall to tell the truth. I wanted it to have lyrics and be more complete and whatnot, but I was under the wire and busy. I like your songs on this better.

I'm still gonna record that eventually. My schedule is getting ready to change, so I'm going to have a few hours a week to sit at home alone and do nothing. Thats really the only time playing guitar or recording occurs to me nowadays. I've got some really great ideas for that song too. Hopefully I can make them come to fruition. BBS Mixtape IV for sure.

Superdope
08-26-2009, 02:31 AM
Not that this took any effort at all, but I hate it when my albums don't have any cover, so I made this the other day:

http://i25.tinypic.com/2nixlcp.jpg

feel free to use it.

Bazza
08-26-2009, 10:08 AM
Edit: I uploaded! So here: http://www.savefile.com/files/2165131

I may just cry, the link (or more the site) doesn't work :( any chance of a re-up...? It would make me very happy!

Llamas
08-26-2009, 11:30 AM
Bazza, what was that a link to? I can re-up it.

And I'm way glad to see a couple reviews... it's nice to tell people what you think of their stuff. I'll reply more thoroughly to the reviews later.

Bazza
08-26-2009, 12:08 PM
It was a link to the Mixtape, but with the full version of Homers song. The upload site appears to be down now. Damn me not having internets at the correct times!

coke_a_holic
08-26-2009, 05:01 PM
I'll do a review soon, but for the record, Randy is right. I do not sing on Honeysuckle, nor do I play guitar or drums. The only parts I played for it are half of the synth parts (I accidentally deleted one and had to redo it based off memory, so that's why it sounds shitty), the distorted guitars, the bass, and I mixed/produced the song.

Yeah.

Llamas
09-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Brianna - Intro - Notes are a little muddled together. It kind of gives a 70s Asian kung-fu movie vibe to the whole thing, especially with the choice of lead instrument. Some nicely placed discordant note choices really bring the entire thing together instead of driving it apart. This is quite good.8/10
The recording is really bad quality because of how it was recorded. I had something in my head, so I turned on recording device just to record the melody so I didn't forget... and then it turned into that in that sitting. I always intended to go to back to it, re-record and maybe expand on it (at least finish it, haha), but my keyboard broke. I edited it in Audacity and you can hear this better sounding version of it on my album I released online. But thanks for the compliments. :)

Brianna - Off We Go - It's not quite minimalistic, but the guitar/voice combo sounds stylishly bare starting out, with no drums or bass - a good choice. The harmonies are nice, and though I can't tell chord progressions just from listening to them I have to say that the ones in the chorus stick out to me as slightly unorthodox. I feel like towards the end the song could have used some drums to give it that last dynamic push in the last minute or so.9/10
Wow, I'm surprised by this review :) Maybe drums would've been nice at the end, I'd never thought of it. If I ever revisit that song, I might try that out. Thanks for the idea.

Intro

After only one listen, the piano part was stuck in my head. It's very smooth and mysterious. I imagine myself walking through a forest, treading softly in order to steer clear of the Ochus and Adamantoises that lurk within. The mid-ness of the sax in this makes my brain rattle, but the part itself works. Also, I have to point out that the background noise reminds me of a waterfall.
hahaha this makes me laugh. But there was no sax in this song... wtf? And I have no idea what you mean by "midness". *confused*. :)

Off We Go

Hehehe. I love the affectation you put on while singing this. Doesn't even sound like you for a while into it. It is a really good song, too. You say you came up with this last minute? You brought your A game, lady. And so did your guitar...why doesn't it sound crappy like it always does?
Ahh I'm glad you liked the singing in this... it just felt right and I wasn't able to sing it any other way, but when I listened to it, I was worried it'd be unpopular to others. I'm really glad you liked it! Thanks in general, and I don't know why I sounded better on guitar! It was really out of nowhere. I seriously don't know what I did differently. This song just came out of nowhere and came together without any thought on my part.

It was a link to the Mixtape, but with the full version of Homers song. The upload site appears to be down now. Damn me not having internets at the correct times!
Homer posted a new link to the song, but I'll see if I can find those files... sorry man.

I'll do a review soon, but for the record, Randy is right. I do not sing on Honeysuckle, nor do I play guitar or drums. The only parts I played for it are half of the synth parts (I accidentally deleted one and had to redo it based off memory, so that's why it sounds shitty), the distorted guitars, the bass, and I mixed/produced the song.

Yeah.

Ahhh I had no idea. You should've told me that when you submitted it. Telling me you'd pick another song if you could pick doesn't tell me much, other than that you personally like it the best. I would've put in a song that was all you had I known. But I still really, really like Honeysuckle!