PDA

View Full Version : 21st Century Breakdown

Smash_Returns
05-12-2009, 10:26 PM
I've got the whole album, listened to it, and have come to a conclusion:

It's the final nail in the coffin for Green Day's old style. Not a single song can truly be classified as *punk*. There are some good songs; Christian's Inferno, East Jesus Nowhere, Murder City, and American Eulogy all sound like they're trying to maintain some sense of being a punk band, but the rest is primarily piano.

Musically, however, it's not a bad album and is definitely worth a listen if you like GD.

All in all, it comes off as another American Idiot (IMO).

NGNM85
05-13-2009, 01:32 AM
This is essentially what I figured. It's really tragic. Honestly, I'd rather they just break up. I loved this band with all my heart, and still do, excepting these last two albums, but the Green Day I loved is GONE. It's not about "growing up" they did that with Nimrod, they are not the same band. Green Day have become just another stadium rock outfit like Aerosmith or Air Supply. Too bad. :(

Jesus
05-13-2009, 03:47 AM
Can't believe you mist the sticky official topic at the top of the page: http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34972

This album is brilliant, beats American Idiot easily. Probably the most mediocre song on the album is the first single (followed probably by generic Green Day songs that Billie Joe can write in sleep like Murder City), although it seems to be quite impressive live. And I'm pretty sure NGNM85 should then say that he dislikes the last 3 Green Day albums, cause Warning has probably been their biggest departure from "traditional" (if that exists) Green Day.

Free?
05-13-2009, 07:35 AM
Can't believe you mist the sticky official topic at the top of the page: http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34972

This album is brilliant, beats American Idiot easily. Probably the most mediocre song on the album is the first single (followed probably by generic Green Day songs that Billie Joe can write in sleep like Murder City), although it seems to be quite impressive live. And I'm pretty sure NGNM85 should then say that he dislikes the last 3 Green Day albums, cause Warning has probably been their biggest departure from "traditional" (if that exists) Green Day.

You see, AI was something new back then, 21cbd is a compilation of old AI+Warning sound. Does it still beat American Idiot that easily?

zsk
05-13-2009, 10:15 AM
they only wnat your money ! ;)

RonWelty
05-13-2009, 11:10 AM

This album is brilliant, beats American Idiot easily. Probably the most mediocre song on the album is the first single (followed probably by generic Green Day songs that Billie Joe can write in sleep like Murder City), although it seems to be quite impressive live. And I'm pretty sure NGNM85 should then say that he dislikes the last 3 Green Day albums, cause Warning has probably been their biggest departure from "traditional" (if that exists) Green Day.everyone is entitled to have an own opinion ;).

findout5
05-13-2009, 11:58 AM
It's a pretty good record now that I've heard it a few times. I'll definately buy it!

PS- Warning is really good and was the biggest departure they made from their generic sound.

Ninty Man
05-13-2009, 01:52 PM
Well, I really like warning and American Idiot

I only... find mediocre Know your enemy, but is... meh

Well, let's see if I like this album

Cock Joke
05-13-2009, 02:15 PM
I pre-ordered my copy from itunes, so I'm still waiting for it.

jacknife737
05-13-2009, 04:19 PM

This (Although i like Murder City).

I also couldn't even describe the 'traditional' Green Day sound, since it really doesn't exist.

Smash_Returns
05-13-2009, 05:07 PM
I really liked Warning.

NGNM85
05-13-2009, 09:20 PM

This album is brilliant,

I have only heard three songs, I must have missed all the "brilliant" ones.

beats American Idiot easily.

Not a particularly difficult task.

Probably the most mediocre song on the album is the first single (followed probably by generic Green Day songs that Billie Joe can write in sleep like Murder City),

Consensus. "Know Your Enemy" is CRAP. Also as I previously mentioned, while it may be a coincidence, it bears a striking resemblance to the Joan Jett song, "Eye to Eye".

although it seems to be quite impressive live.

I don't see anything impressive about it.

And I'm pretty sure NGNM85 should then say that he dislikes the last 3 Green Day albums, cause Warning has probably been their biggest departure from "traditional" (if that exists) Green Day.

Actually I thought Warning was ok. I was disappointed after waiting so long, and especially after following a brilliant album like Nimrod. I also thought Nimrod was their most expirimental record ranging from the soft ballad of "Time of Your Life" to the street punk/metal of "Take Back." Again, I've been a Green day fan for more than a decade, I truly loved this band, I just long for the days when they more closely resembled the Ramones than the Rolling Stones.

Jesus
05-14-2009, 08:33 AM
A nice performance of Know Your Enemy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYc4uo0Bm_Q&feature=channel_page

everyone is entitled to have an own opinion ;).

Yeah but it helps if they listen to more than 3 songs of a record that has 17 songs (excluding the intro). Don't you think? ;)

I have only heard three songs, I must have missed all the "brilliant" ones.

100 - ((3 / 17) * 100) = 82.3529412 % chance

You got some titanium balls.

Omni
05-14-2009, 08:41 AM
If either of the other two songs were Lights Out or Hearts Collide, then those don't count, either. Since they're outtakes. But I'm guessing those are the other two since they were released about the same time as Know Your Enemy.

hshduppsnt
05-14-2009, 10:35 AM
I'm going to have to listen to it again, as I'm not even close to ready to actually make any detailed opinions about the album but basically it sounds like some songs are a more matured (improved?) version of american idiot songs and the rest are just trying too hard to do the same.

I mean, he re-uses the lyrics about knowing your enemy whos your enemy nonsense on multiple songs!

I dunno... like I said, I'm going to have to give it more listens but likely this will be an album that, while I'll be ok with listening to on shuffle in my playlist, is not something I'm actively going to search out...

findout5
05-14-2009, 10:53 AM
Well, I really like warning and American Idiot

I only... find mediocre Know your enemy, but is... meh

Well, let's see if I like this album

I thought we had an agreement on never to agree on a subject!

Outerspaceman21
05-14-2009, 11:47 AM
I heard about half of the album. I didn't like 21st Century Breakdown, Know You Enemy, Before the Lobotomy, Restless Heart Syndrome, 21 Guns or American Eulogy.

Ballads aren't really my thing and some of the songs are a little on the pop side.

East Jesus Nowhere was alright

Free?
05-14-2009, 11:58 AM

He didn't agree with that agreement. :P

Ninty Man
05-14-2009, 09:03 PM

No, but you acted like a douche on Iron Maiden. I'll never forgive you

findout5
05-15-2009, 11:01 AM
No, but you acted like a douche on Iron Maiden. I'll never forgive you

I can't help it...I hate IM! Like, with a passion! And I hate spandex too! No correlation, of course...or maybe there is :p

Let's make up. Give daddy a hug! C'mon...

Ninty Man
05-15-2009, 02:41 PM
I can't help it...I hate IM! Like, with a passion! And I hate spandex too! No correlation, of course...or maybe there is :p

Let's make up. Give daddy a hug! C'mon...

Let's make out for best :D

TakesMeNowhere28
05-15-2009, 04:26 PM

What??? I LOVED Know Your Enemy. Very catchy song. I haven't heard any of the other songs on the album yet, but judging by the reviews, it seems like a really good album.

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
05-15-2009, 06:12 PM
i just downloaded it and i have to say ummmmm, i'd rather listen to american idiot
i have no problem with rock operas but i think thier songs just suck. i even hate their distortion settings(don't know why)
the only songs i kinda like are The Last Night On Earth, Horseshoes And Handgrenades, and American Eulogy (Mass Hysteria/Modern World)

American Eulogy (Mass Hysteria/Modern World) at the beginning of the modern world part, it sounds like the first part of Jesus of Suburbia and the riff from American Idiot

SyLeS
05-16-2009, 03:10 PM
I just bought the album, and i have to say its actually very good (compared to American Idiot that is)

I just listened to the whole thing and it has some pretty solid songs on it. I really enjoyed Viva La Gloria!, Before the Lobotomy, 21 Guns, American Eulogy, and Peacemaker.

The only thing that i really don't like about this cd is the amount of piano driven songs on it. Sometimes, it fits with the song. But IMO it just starts to get repetitive after a while. But this Album still seems to have the green day pop punk sound, and is a whole lot better than American Idiot.

findout5
05-17-2009, 01:47 PM
So, have you guys heard the new 4 covers they did?
Another State Of Mind is really awesome!

Ninty Man
05-17-2009, 08:29 PM
I liked it, but I need more time...

ThunderPX
05-19-2009, 11:22 AM
I mean, he re-uses the lyrics about knowing your enemy whos your enemy nonsense on multiple songs!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concept_album