PDA

View Full Version : Police Officer or Paramedic??

KHWHD
05-14-2009, 12:02 PM
So I'm looking to further my education as I only have my Grade 12 Diploma. The last 2 shit jobs I've worked at the last 3+ years I've either been fired illegally or laid off due to shortage of work.

Currently I'm on EI (which pays shit if anyone has ever been on it) and I've booked an appointment at the Career Councelling place here.

I know that Lost (Karin) is in school for a Paramedic, and I've seriously thought (for many years) about doing that or a Police Officer.

Has anyone ever went to school for either one of the Careers I've listed, and if so - how tough is it? Just wanted to get a bit more info. before I go to my appointment. Thanks in advance.

Free?
05-14-2009, 12:10 PM
Ehhm. I always thought that paramedics are medics with parachutes. Like paratroopers.
Are you considering that as a possible future job or am I just dead wrong?

KHWHD
05-14-2009, 12:10 PM

Yeah I am.

Outerspaceman21
05-14-2009, 12:18 PM
My buddy is going to be a paramedic. It's a good paying job. I'd go for that one personally. It doesn't very long to get into working, unlike other medical careers.

Free?
05-14-2009, 12:24 PM
I'm not sure whether paramedics even exist in my country. I'm pretty impressed atm.

Llamas
05-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Ehhm. I always thought that paramedics are medics with parachutes. Like paratroopers.

LOL! "A paramedic is a medical professional, usually a member of the emergency medical services, who primarily provides pre-hospital advanced medical and trauma care. A paramedic is charged with providing emergency on-scene treatment, crisis intervention, life-saving stabilization and transport of ill or injured patients to definitive emergency medical and surgical treatment facilities, such as hospitals and trauma centers."

The fact that Shank didn't steer you straight shocks me...

KHWHD
05-14-2009, 12:40 PM
LOL! "A paramedic is a medical professional, usually a member of the emergency medical services, who primarily provides pre-hospital advanced medical and trauma care. A paramedic is charged with providing emergency on-scene treatment, crisis intervention, life-saving stabilization and transport of ill or injured patients to definitive emergency medical and surgical treatment facilities, such as hospitals and trauma centers."

The fact that Shank didn't steer you straight shocks me...

I had the impression that he was kidding, hence why I never said anything.

Llamas
05-14-2009, 12:42 PM
But you DID say something; he asked if you were considering what he described as a job option and you said you were.

KHWHD
05-14-2009, 12:45 PM
But you DID say something; he asked if you were considering what he described as a job option and you said you were.

I ignored what he said about that because clearly he HAD to be kidding.

drummerbecca
05-14-2009, 12:52 PM
Jebus. Does it matter if he was or wasn't kidding? You guys gotta learn to let things go!

I dunno about in Canada but I think both jobs have a decent wage here. The thing is, neither of them are really part time jobs, if you get me. They can be rewarding but it's not the kind of thing you can switch off from easily, I wouldn't think. What about your girls? I understand that the money you earn would be for them too but if you have long shifts etc. being away from mum might be kinda hard on them when they're still so young.

KHWHD
05-14-2009, 12:56 PM
Jebus. Does it matter if he was or wasn't kidding? You guys gotta learn to let things go!

I dunno about in Canada but I think both jobs have a decent wage here. The thing is, neither of them are really part time jobs, if you get me. They can be rewarding but it's not the kind of thing you can switch off from easily, I wouldn't think. What about your girls? I understand that the money you earn would be for them too but if you have long shifts etc. being away from mum might be kinda hard on them when they're still so young.

Well I'm assuming schooling would take 2-3 years to complete either one of those. My girls are 2 and 3, and by that time they'll both be in school fulltime. Not to mention the time it'll take to get a job in that field as well. I guess only time will tell. Thank you.

randman21
05-14-2009, 01:59 PM
Paramedic, for definite. I think I made nearly as much as a police officer would last year, which is beyond outrageous, seeing as I get paid shit.

Free?
05-14-2009, 03:17 PM
Oh man what to say to save remains of my reputation :D. Well in the first post I was kidding fo'sho, but Shank's positive answer shocked and caught me off-guard. Well, I laughed a lot imagining Shank jumping with a parachute and a medkit, but the idea of googling for paramedic somehow vanished from my head (I had it from in the beginning) as I did believe that. Haha. ha. arrghh.
Selfowned.

KHWHD
05-14-2009, 03:24 PM
Oh man what to say to save remains of my reputation :D. Well in the first post I was kidding fo'sho, but Shank's positive answer shocked and caught me off-guard. Well, I laughed a lot imagining Shank jumping with a parachute and a medkit, but the idea of googling for paramedic somehow vanished from my head (I had it from in the beginning) as I did believe that. Haha. ha. arrghh.
Selfowned.

I guess next time I'll know. I thought for sure you were kidding. I don't know ANYONE that doesn't know what a Paramedic/EMT is... and when I say ANYONE, I mean ANYONE. :confused:

SweetTatyana
05-14-2009, 03:51 PM
A friend of mine works for peel as a paramedic and he likes it but he says after 2 years training, most people only stick with it for an average of 8 years because it is a hard to do. I do remember when he went to humber, it took up a lot of time, moreso than a full time job for all the training, so you may want to keep that in mind.

Llamas
05-14-2009, 03:53 PM
But how many people do you know from Eastern Europe? I'm sure there are TONS of places in the world where they don't have "paramedics".

jacknife737
05-14-2009, 04:51 PM
I have a friend who works as a paramedic in Toronto, and i have a couple of buddies who are probably going to end up being police officers.

The paramedic went to Centennial College for about three years. He really likes his job, but it's really high pressure, and sometimes works strange hours.

The potential cop buddy #1, first went to college for "Police Foundations"; it gives you a good grasp of what the job may entail. He moved on from that, via a bridging program to university (UOIT) where he now takes criminology.
Potential cop buddy #2, goes to uni in Nippising taking criminal justice admin.

Technically to be a cop, you don't need a university degree, just a clean driving/criminal record, first aid certificate, and passing the various mental and physical tests they have. However i've been told that given the state of the job market in policing, it's almost a 'must have'. Don't let this dissuade you though; head down to a careers office and do some research.

IamSam
05-14-2009, 04:57 PM
Police officer would be an easier task as paramedic school is very labor intensive. The people I know that are in paramedic school are single, without kids, and work on their degree almost around the clock when not sleeping. You have to have the aptitude and ability to cover copious amounts of biology, chemistry, and the common sense to follow rescue procedures.

Beaker
05-14-2009, 05:37 PM
i am doing 2 degrees at the moment, 1 in biomedical sciences and the other in forensics. we do alot of our subjects with paramedics and policeing students.

i really love doing crime scene subjects but you have to be able to look at some of the most desturbing things. the one thing that got to me was looking at a 3 year old shot in the head. i think when picking a career think of the best things about it and deffinately the worst so that you can expect the worst.

i honestly believe that a paramedic would be the most rewarding.

Bipolar Bear
05-14-2009, 06:10 PM
It's up to you to know which you like best. Some people would prefer being a policeman while others would choose paramedic. If you're looking for personal opinions though, I'd rather be a paramedic.

SweetTatyana
05-14-2009, 09:48 PM
Yeah paramedics have 12 hour shifts from like 6-6 or 12 to 12.

Although, I also heard from friends it is very hard to actually get hired as a police man.

KHWHD
05-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Although, I also heard from friends it is very hard to actually get hired as a police man.

Jamie (a guy I went to Highschool with and has also lived across the road from my parents for 15 years) was a Mortician and is now a Cop. From one extreme to the next... lol. I could always talk to him and maybe he could give me some info.

Thank you Tatyana, and everyone else too.

XYlophonetreeZ
05-14-2009, 10:27 PM
Admit it, you were totally thinking of the difference between Koopas and Paratroopas.

T-6005
05-15-2009, 02:24 PM
Admit it, you were totally thinking of the difference between Koopas and Paratroopas.

Speaking of which - you know the paratroopas that just bob up and down slowly in sky levels? I've always wondered why some are red and some are green - they do the same damn thing, unlike red and green koopas or the jumping kind.

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
05-15-2009, 06:30 PM
shank! you know you want to be a dirty cop(just kidding)
but what Beaker said is very true. as a policewoman/man or paramedic u will have to look at disturbing things
but if you only care about family and friends and if you are very apathetic towards the world u wont have a problem with looking at those things

nameless
05-15-2009, 07:29 PM
it depends on the person. id imagine you need certain qualities for each just to enable you just to get the training so its down to what best suits each individual. for example, theres no use applying to be a police officer if you arent able to assert yourself or people would just not take you seriously!

T-6005
05-16-2009, 02:03 PM
Speaking of which - you know the paratroopas that just bob up and down slowly in sky levels? I've always wondered why some are red and some are green - they do the same damn thing, unlike red and green koopas or the jumping kind.

I think I figured it out. When you stomp on a red turtle in the air and they land on your platform they don't fall off the edge. Righto.

Skinny
05-16-2009, 11:57 PM
Haha, way to stay on topic T-6005.