PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about Splinter

rgf030
05-15-2009, 01:49 AM
So Splinter

This is probably the fastest and heaviest The Offspring has ever been. Well...most of the time. I feel like the flow of the album is pretty disrupted with songs like Hit That and Worst Hangover Ever. The flow in the beginning is amazing, The Noose and Long way home really seal the deal for me, but when i hear those keyboards, i cringe.

When i hear Never Gonna Find Me and Lightning Rod tied in together, its one of the best Offspring moments ive heard, but then it gets spoiled for me when Spare Me The Details comes on. Then out of nowhere comes Da Hiu which is just raw as fuck.

Its not that I only love the fast songs by Offspring, Living in Chaos is one of my favorites as well as Amazed. But it seems Spliter demonstrates some of the absolute best, and some of the worst Offspring I have heard.

Lets hear input!

Hypodermic_89
05-15-2009, 02:07 AM
I agree that the flow of the album is just fucked. And also it does have some epic songs like Neocon, The Noose and Lightning Rod. Splinter is definately a great album, and while some people say that it's too short, I just happen to think of the music more than the length.

mip_04
05-15-2009, 04:07 AM
This album has a lot meaning for me! This was the album where I became fan, so it is very important to me... "Hit-That" was the first song that I heard...

Budzy
05-15-2009, 07:02 AM
I agree that the flow is disrupted by those songs, but I still love Hit That, and I love Spare Me The Details aswell. And The Worst Hangover Ever is not bad, but probably doesn't need to be there.

Tomasisko
05-15-2009, 07:14 AM
In my opinion Conspiracy Of One is haviest album

dexterone
05-15-2009, 07:42 AM
I think,that Splinter is their best album...there was something new....when I listened to this album,I became an Offspring fan.....the songs like The Noose and Long way home are great......Race against myself has amazing chorus......The worst hangover ever is a peaceful song and Spare me the details is one of the best from them I ever heard......Da hui....lol.....interesting text......but good fast......

Outerspaceman21
05-15-2009, 08:30 AM
I do think Splinter is their heaviest and darkest. I believe in quality over quantity and Splinter delivered that for me. I liked Hit That and Spare Me The Details, too.

RageAndLov
05-15-2009, 08:52 AM
Splinter is a great album, and it's shortness doesn't bother me at all.
Can't quite remember who said it, but he said if there was something like Splinter EP with Neocon, The Noose, Long Way Home, Never Gonna Find You, Lightning Rod and Da Hui, that would be considered the best Offspring record ever by many fans.

findout5
05-15-2009, 10:56 AM
I think that Splinter (altough a nice record) is one of their worst records. And it broke their momentum! There's filler stuff on the record and that does bug me a lot - it's like they decided to make just another record instead of trying to do their best record.

Kalo13
05-15-2009, 11:55 AM
Splinter is my third favourite album and I agree that itīs the fastest and heaviest album, but I think itīs too short. Best songs are Can't get my head around you, Lightning rod, Long way home, Never gonna find me and The noose. Da Hui and The worst hangover ever are very funny.

Davo
05-15-2009, 01:06 PM
In last time I delighted the song Lightning rod.

Omni
05-15-2009, 02:49 PM
My official review of Splinter:

The band has three different modes of rock. Their punk songs, their alt-rock songs, and their pop-oriented songs. In my opinion, Splinter contains some of the best work of each of their three elements. Hit That is a masterpiece of pop, Race Against Myself is a masterpiece of rock, and Lightning Rod is a masterpiece of punk. And it seems like an unspoken law that every real opening song (not counting Neocon or Disclaimer, etc) has to be one of the hardest rockers they've ever made. The Noose is no exception, and in my opinion, it's the best opener they've ever made besides Half-Truism. Which is pretty good considering they're on their eighth album now. Here are the main problems with the album:

A) The gap between this record and Conspiracy of One was the longest gap between any Offspring album until Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace. And for three, almost four years of work, it was a little on the short side

B) For an album decidedly not quite long enough, it had one song that wasn't even a song (Neocon), and three novelty pop songs. I happen to enjoy all of those novelty songs, but a novelty song is, well… a novelty. They tend to lose their entertainment value quicker than the rest of the album.

C) It had the most appalling lack of support I think I've ever seen.

D) So we've decided they have eight or nine real songs. They've had more than 12 on an album before, and this album probably has more disposable songs than any album they've made. And they didn't include Pass Me By for some reason?

bighead384
05-15-2009, 02:59 PM
I just don't get what they were thinking only putting 10 proper songs on this album. You just can't do that! Especially when it comes to albums that don't really have much of a flow to begin with, even though some individual songs are great.

RageAndLov
05-15-2009, 03:46 PM
I consider Neocon a real song, it's just that is a very short song.
Actually by punk "standard" Neocon's length is very normal. Most of Minor Threat's songs were around that length.

Davo
05-15-2009, 03:53 PM
Who is Mr. Splinter? I don't know him.

bouncingcoles
05-15-2009, 03:55 PM
splinter is a good idea on paper but the actual album is awful. It has a few note worthy songs such as the noose and cant get my head around you. but otherwise i feel its shameful. this is coming from an offspring fan of over 9 years and someone who is seeing them 3 times on this tour coming up so dont give me shit.

Big_Fan_Of_Offspring
06-12-2009, 02:26 PM
Splinter is the best albom of Offspring and the best song from that album is Spare Me The Details:p

randman21
06-12-2009, 02:40 PM
Holy shit, I just noticed the bass part in The Noose. Excellent.

I skip Spare Me the Details every. single. time. Other than that, it is a top-notch album. It has a lot of songs that I could put on repeat. I can see why people don't like Race Against Myself, but it and The Noose are my favorites.

OffspringPsycho
06-12-2009, 03:58 PM
I love the drums in The Noose
also, Can't Get My Head Around You is a really good song.
Spare me the details is catchy as fuck, but I would never expect it from the Offspring.

The rest of the record is good, but not great in my opinion.

Alison
06-12-2009, 05:47 PM
I don't know where I place Splinter in the order of my favourites...I like it, but there's parts that could be different...like... they probably could have left out Worst Hangover Ever...I cringe when I hear it...
I really like The Noose, Lightning Rod and Never Gonna Find Me.
Mixed opinions on it, it's different to their others, yet I still like it of course.

Americana98
06-12-2009, 07:34 PM
I *liked* Splinter, just like I like all their CD's, though I was never a HUGE fan of it. I feel just like their other Brendan O'Brien-produced CD, Conspiracy of One, there's just something "too polished" about it, too "produced." The songs on Splinter sound AMAZING live, but on the CD themselves, I just don't get as much into them because it almost feels like a machine churned them out.

And songs like Never Gonna Find Me...needed a bit more going on in them to shake them up. Takes Me Nowhere from Rise and Fall is a great example of the type of expanding that song needed.

But yeah, a good CD overall, easily their heaviest, most produced, and with the most "going on." But compared to their other CD's, it's way too short, lacks a strong closer, lacks any sort of theme or message, and features garbage songs like When You're In Prison. My 2nd least favorite...my LEAST favorite is Co1.

bouncingcoles
06-12-2009, 07:35 PM
aside from 3 or 4 note worthy songs that album is comparable to a turd sandwich. offspring at their worst

RODNEYMULLEN
06-12-2009, 07:42 PM
aside from 3 or 4 note worthy songs that album is comparable to a turd sandwich. offspring at their worst

splinter in my opinion is way better that rafrag, i think the noose might be my all time favorite offspring song.

renato piquette
06-12-2009, 07:43 PM
So Splinter

When i hear Never Gonna Find Me and Lightning Rod tied in together, its one of the best Offspring moments ive heardLets hear input!

this!i come everytime i listen to those seconds,and those who say that itīs the worst work bythe offspring can go to hell,itīs definately one oftheir best albums and thereīs not such a thing as a bad offspring record,it is true that is kind of lame when you are listening to a heavy song like "lightning rod" and then a soft song like "spare me the details" appears,tough

randman21
06-12-2009, 09:05 PM
I *liked* Splinter, just like I like all their CD's, though I was never a HUGE fan of it. I feel just like their other Brendan O'Brien-produced CD, Conspiracy of One, there's just something "too polished" about it, too "produced." The songs on Splinter sound AMAZING live, but on the CD themselves, I just don't get as much into them because it almost feels like a machine churned them out.

And songs like Never Gonna Find Me...needed a bit more going on in them to shake them up. Takes Me Nowhere from Rise and Fall is a great example of the type of expanding that song needed.

But yeah, a good CD overall, easily their heaviest, most produced, and with the most "going on." But compared to their other CD's, it's way too short, lacks a strong closer, lacks any sort of theme or message, and features garbage songs like When You're In Prison. My 2nd least favorite...my LEAST favorite is Co1.
:confused: RAFRAG is waaaay more polished/produced than Splinter or Co1. I don't usually notice stuff like that, but it's one of the first things that got my attention on the first listen.

Jaded skies
06-12-2009, 09:23 PM
i LOVE splinter. the noose, race against myself and never gonna find me.

i still dunno why race against myself is so low on everyones song list. its on my top 10. i absolutely love that song

Skinny
06-12-2009, 09:25 PM
Splinter would be held in higher regard if songs such as When You're In Prison, and The Worst Hangover Ever hadn't been included. It had the potential to be bigger than it was.

FaQZz
06-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Splinter, the firSt album without Ron.. I can't say taht is the worst album just because The noose is so great, i can explain it, its like power jajaja speedy drums:cool: and long way home continues that line i i love it. the next song, hit that, a great pop song, here in argentina was very popular you can ear it everywere. Lightining rod and cant get are deep and the other songs just good.
i agree that the album is very short, when you are in prision its more for a hidden track maybe but definitely not a cd song.

At last we have an intention to test new sond mixed with a traditional offspring album.

Skinny
06-12-2009, 09:59 PM
At last we have an intention to test new sond mixed with a traditional offspring album.

At last? Splinter was released in '03.. Six years ago..

FaQZz
06-12-2009, 10:01 PM
At last? Splinter was released in '03.. Six years ago..

im trying to say my final words jeje

mynamewastaken
06-12-2009, 10:03 PM
i ♥ Splinter
one of my favorites

Outerspaceman21
06-12-2009, 11:17 PM
I don't understand this. It's all a matter of opinion. For me, I've been listening to the Offspring I was 8 (Americana) and The Offspring could never do no wrong. Yeah, Splinter was short, but who cares? Maybe some of the songs that are there you might not like them, who cares? It happened, some liked it, some didn't, get over it.

Americana98
06-12-2009, 11:25 PM
:confused: RAFRAG is waaaay more polished/produced than Splinter or Co1. I don't usually notice stuff like that, but it's one of the first things that got my attention on the first listen.

Eh....I don't agree with that. RAFRAG at least didn't use computer distorting equipment (Race Against Myself) and it didn't have songs with horn sections. Splinter had not 1, but 2 "Ska" songs on there AND "When You Were In Prison" which....don't even get me started. And, an intro as its own track. And the thing was only 30 minutes long. The songs also all (except Lightning Rod) followed a very predictable "verse-chorus-verse-chorus" pattern with no surprises and very little guitar solo's or anything...

RAFRAG may have been equally as well-produced but songs like Hammerhead have a deliberately rough and edgy sound to them that I just didn't find on either Co1 or Splinter. I dunno.

Again, it wasn't a bad CD, I enjoyed it just like I enjoy all of the Offspring CD's I've heard. But it's definitely towards the bottom for me. It's not as bad as CO1, which was so mainstream that they cut Huck It off the US release to avoid a "Parental Advisory" sticker....but it still feels just a little too "packaged." Dexter said RAFRAG was "louder than our last couple" and I agree entirely. It felt like a return to the band who made songs like No Breaks.

findout5
06-13-2009, 04:59 AM
Splinter...let's not talk about it! Let's focus on the next one!

Marco
06-13-2009, 05:10 AM
Just bought the original yesterday...now I'm just missing Ixnay and Smash and I have them all on cd :)

Alex101
06-13-2009, 10:26 AM
No, let's not talk about Splinter. That album actually sucks and is weaker than Smash and Ixnay.

kaylae
06-13-2009, 11:50 AM
I agree with a lot of people who are saying it's a bit random in places and a bit disjointed, but that's not exactly unique to Splinter! A lot of their stuff is like that!
xx
P.s and I for one celebrate that

brothadave79
06-13-2009, 11:59 AM
The album feels to me more like an EP of several good songs than a full album. This is because I often skip tracks like Race, Hangover, Da Hui (a musically boring and lyrically pointless song - though it was fun live!), and When You're In Prison. I actually like Neocon. A lot. Best intro to an album or concert they ever made, but not a real song.

I think Splinter's weakness is a reflection of the state of the band at that point. Yeah, Ron didn't have a lot of input on songs -which is why he left. At a first glance, this may make his absence seem inconsequential. But I'm sure the circumstances leading up to and following his departure had a demoralizing impact on the band, who were themselves "splintered" while trying to focus on putting out a new record.

I really appreciated the darker feel of songs like The Noose, Never Gonna Find me, and Lightning Rod over the power pop of Conspiracy. Although it's shorter and a bit more eclectic than I would have liked, I tend to cut the band slack because of their own issues going on during its creation.

PedroACastro
06-14-2009, 06:33 PM
splinter has some pretty awesome songs but i think its to short and it has the only song i don't like by the offspring "when your in prison". i just can't listen to it for some reason

Quagmire
06-14-2009, 08:14 PM
To me Splinter is by far their weakest effort. Spare Me The Details is amazing. Can't Get My Head Around You and Hit That are okay to listen to every now and then but as for the rest of the album I never listen to it.

The silver lining to this though is that I was so disappointed in Splinter that I didn't really have any expectations of RAFRAG being any good. So needless to say I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the new album.