PDA

View Full Version : Elvis Jackson

Rooster
05-16-2009, 11:34 AM
This band really deserves more attention. They are from Slovenia. They released a new album about 2 or 3 months ago, and so far it's one of the best punk rock CDs this year in my opinion. Not a single filler song on it, and amazing production (Bill Gould from Faith No More produced it)

They also are amazing live (seen them 3 times), so energetic.

For fans of melodic punk, ska and reggae music (although their new album is more melodic punk rock than ska or reggae, but there are still few excellent reggae songs on it).

http://www.myspace.com/elvisjacksonband

edit: their new single video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTK3X_PDw74

edit2: one of my favorite songs from their new album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjR584moVNs&feature=related

Grimesy da Offspringfan
05-16-2009, 02:51 PM
The first song is pretty good, though it's kinda strange how the drums come in at 0:30, that part's a bit strange, but still, pretty good. And the second song would be amazing withouth those strange fills in the verse, but definitely really great song. So generally, thanks for letting us know of this band, i like them a lot now

Free?
05-16-2009, 03:29 PM
My humble contribution to this thread.
http://rs510.rapidshare.com/files/159275594/Elvis_Jackson_-_Summer_edition_por_skapoo.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/146264790/Elvis_Jackson_-_Move_Your_Feet_It_s_One_O_Clock__2001___cd.rar
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WT2RM2WZ The password is bezpieka.net

I haven't listened to all of that stuff yet, just posting what I've found few mins ago.

This band is promising, I'm checking them.

Rooster
05-16-2009, 03:33 PM
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WT2RM2WZ

This is the new album folks... It has a bit less other genres thrown into the mixture, it's more straightforward melodic punk... And it's fucking awesome :D

All of their albums rock.

Rooster
05-17-2009, 07:44 AM
Alright, i decided to write a short review of the new Elvis Jackson album, Against The Gravity.

1. Against The Gravity - opens the album in a great way, with some metal-influenced palm mutting, and a dirty sounding bass. A fast song with good guitar and bass work.

2. Wake Me Up! - one of my favorite songs from the album. Like in pretty much every punk rock song on the album, you can deffinitely hear influences of the so-called "californian" punk rock. The vocalist did a great job here, great chorus that just doesn't want to get out of my head.

3. Sweet Perfection - A short, under 2 minute long punk song. Great bass work. A good, energetic song that would sound great live.

4. Dry Your Tears - The first of the 3 reggae songs from this album. And it's a good one. The highlight of this song are probably the vocals. Also, like many songs on this album, it has good, uplifting lyrics, the kind of song that would make you feel better when you're going through rough times.

5. Breaking The Silence - After a slow, reggae song it's time to get the listener pumped again, right? This is what this song does. It's another metal influenced punk song, although slower than other punk songs on the disc.

6. Not Here To Pray - The album's second single, and it represents what you get on this album very well - good, fast, melodic punk rock songs, great guitar, bass and drum work, great vocals. A very good choice for a single. Also one of my personal favorites.

7. This Time - The second reggae track, the first single, and another personal favorite. Amazing vocals, great, very uplifting lyrics, that remind you that every time you are feeling low, somebody will be there for you. This band should make more reggae songs, they are so good in this.

8. Street 45 - A track with a hip-hop feel to it, heavy guitars come in towards the end. Not one of my favorites, but deffinitely not a bad song, and it's fun to listen to. It's another proof that no matter what Elvis Jackson do, they pull it off in a good way.

9. Salvation - A great, fiery intro. Amazing guitar work, especially the solo. It's fast, full of energy, and with a great chorus. One of the more agressive tracks, but not the most agressive.

10. A Glass of Tequila - Less than a minute long, but it's agressive, hardcore punk song. A song to mosh to at the concerts. The singer screams for a glass of tequila, to escape from everyday problems. Who wouldn't?

11. The Burned Out Flame - Another agressive punk song, with some great guitar and bass lines. Also a good chorus.

12. Boyz And Girlz - Funky song. It's pretty funny, you almost get the feeling of listening to a RHCP parody band. It has an unexpected agressive punk part towards the end.

13. What Took You So Long - Another reggae song, and again, they pulled it off perfectly. It would be a good track to close the album, but it's not... Because after about 2 minutes of silence or so there is a hidden track...

14. The Bear And The Weasel (hidden song, unnamed on the album) - A death-metal parody song. Starts at around minute six. Although the lyrics are hard to understand, it somehow never fails to make me laugh :D. Probably the most agressive song on the album, along with A Glass of Tequila.

Overall: One of my personal favorite albums. The production is excellent, you can easily hear all the instruments. Vocalist dod an excellent job on this album, and the same goes for the instruments. A great, uplifting album, fun to listen to in a car, and full of anthems for the coming summer. Completely in pair with the efforts of all the big punk bands (The Offspring, NOFX,...), and it deserves more attention than it gets. It's different from their previous albums, there are more straightforward punk songs than before, and less experimentation, less ska, that's why some fans (they are in minority though) were a bit disappointed with it. But i'm deffinitely not, i appreciate the album for what it is, and you can easily tell that the punk songs from this album are great. Comparing this album to the others wouldn't be fair, comparing the albums usually never does any justice to an album - you should just listen to the music, take the album for what it's worth. And this is an excellent album.

Higlights: Against The Gravity, Wake Me Up!, Dry Your Tears, Not Here To Pray, This Time, Salvation, A Glass of Tequila, The Burned Out Flame, What Took You So Long

Other reviews appreciated :)

Free?
05-17-2009, 02:08 PM
I approve this band. Not quite my style, but it's very solid and qualitative stuff. Vocalist does fantastic job on demonstrating what he can do with his voice here and there. Their albums have tons of diverse stuff and original moves.

ad8
05-17-2009, 04:17 PM
I approve this band. Not quite my style, but it's very solid and qualitative stuff. Vocalist does fantastic job on demonstrating what he can do with his voice here and there. Their albums have tons of diverse stuff and original moves.
Similar opinion here. Their style differs from the style I usually like, but their music has got lots of energy to it. Plus Wake Me Up! and Sweet Perfection are so damn catchy!:)

Skinny
05-19-2009, 10:53 PM
I'm definately interested in this band, but I doubt that I'll see their albums in the crappy music stores nearby..