PDA

View Full Version : Norway - winners of Eurovision Song Contest 09!

Stylie
05-16-2009, 04:09 PM
YES! Congratulations Alexander Rybak!

What a sensational win. We won the Eurovision Song Contest 2009 by far the best result! Getting points from all of the single countries, and 16 12-points, we won with 387 points (which also is a superior new record), as much as 169 points more than the 2nd place Iceland.

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=2647
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-zc_MtQYrw

Also, that dance the three guys in the background did during the performance, is called "Halling", which is a type of folk dance from Norway. This dance comes from a really, really small valley called Hallingdal, where I accidentally live and come from. I must admit, I'm pretty proud to be Norwegian and a Halling now. Rock on! : )

RonWelty
05-16-2009, 04:11 PM
i like the song. I predicted them to win as soon as i listened his song

Tijs
05-16-2009, 04:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niOK4kWlP0s (random YouTube clip)I would kill to be able to dance like those guys. I seriously mean that.

And I love the song even though it's lyrics are pretty bad.

KyleW
05-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Congratulations on the win! I must say the song was very catchy :D

I was pretty pleased with my counrty, United Kingdon, getting 5th, best result in a long time.

My brother had a £1 bet on Norway to win.... he won 25p :D

RonWelty
05-16-2009, 04:51 PM
Congratulations on the win! I must say the song was very catchy :D

I was pretty pleased with my counrty, United Kingdon, getting 5th, best result in a long time.

My brother had a £1 bet on Norway to win.... he won 25p :D

i made a bet of 10 euros on them and 10 euros on uk. I love andrew lloyd webber. It was the best song on the contest, but not a song for this kind of contest and audience.

KyleW
05-16-2009, 05:01 PM
i made a bet of 10 euros on them and 10 euros on uk. I love andrew lloyd webber. It was the best song on the contest, but not a song for this kind of contest and audience.

Yeah. Eurovision is typically more upbeat and lighthearted than the Uk entry, not to say it wasnt a great song though

nameless
05-16-2009, 05:22 PM
i didnt watch it or hear any of the entries, i havent since all that tactical voting conspiracies began!

Stylie
05-16-2009, 05:24 PM
Thank you, DexterHollandIsGod!
Congrats with your 5th place, not bad at all. ^^

I would kill to be able to dance like those guys. I seriously mean that.

And I love the song even though it's lyrics are pretty bad.

Yeah, it's a really cool and unique dance! Those guys are from the dance group "Frikar", and I know one of them (not one of these three ones). I can link you some youtube videos if you like to see some more "Halling" (also called "laus").

Mm, the song is also pretty special - I think that's the reason why it won so supercilious. :D The lyrics is about Rybaks ex-girlfriend, btw.

RonWelty
05-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Thank you, DexterHollandIsGod!
Congrats with your 5th place, not bad at all. ^^

Yeah, it's a really cool and unique dance! Those guys are from the dance group "Frikar", and I know one of them (not one of these three ones). I can link you some youtube videos if you like to see some more "Halling" (also called "laus").

Mm, the song is also pretty special - I think that's the reason why it won so supercilious. :D The lyrics is about Rybaks ex-girlfriend, btw.

i bet that now that girl is begging him to resume their relationship. And I bet that he can fuck who the fuck he wants right now in Norway.

Llamas
05-16-2009, 07:14 PM
I know this is gonna sound ridiculous after the thread about that dancing group from Norway... but I lol at people who take Eurovision seriously! It's thoroughly amusing to watch, but after the first time I saw it in 2007, I said to all my European friends, "You can never make fun of me for being American again... all I have to say back is "Eurovision"." Like, seriously. Lol.

In other news, I'm gonna go watch Norway's entry right now for (hopeful) laughs!!!

Llamas
05-16-2009, 07:20 PM
Okay, after watching Norway's entry, a few questions:

1) What is up with faking the fiddle part? He's so obviously not actually playing that.

2) What is up with countries like Norway, Sweden and Germany opting to sing in English so often, when most European countries sing in their countries' languages?

3) It wasn't as bad as I expected... could've been MUCH worse. The dancing was kind of interesting. :)

But still. Major lols at Eurovision.

Edit: Tatu was in the competition this year?? WTFFFFF I just lost even more respect for this thing... you can recycle bands that already won... that's so terrible. Plus Tatu is garbage!

Edit 2: I just watch Holland, Germany, and Finland. How is anyone proud of winning this competition?? I just don't get it... haha. But at least Norway's entry was leagues better than those...

МЫША
05-17-2009, 12:15 AM
Congratulations Norway! :)

By the way, Alexander Rybak the Russian guy :) so for us it too a victory :D we are glad that you have won :)

Tijs
05-17-2009, 01:17 AM
I kind of missed one like these this year:

http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29263

Llamas
05-17-2009, 01:39 AM
I agree so much. That thread was great.

Stylie
05-17-2009, 02:22 AM
Thank you, МЫША! ^^
Haha, excellent thread Tijs.
Thanks ilovellamas, but I don't know why such countries often sing in English.

Also, it's May 17th today - which is a big day for us in Norway, our national day! We've just seen the parade with marching band (we're a really small town, happy to have our own band), and I'm soon gonna get me some good food. So - double win! Hipp hipp hurra! :D

F@ BANKZ
05-17-2009, 03:24 AM
In any case, France came 8th with a song that makes me want to end my days.

And therefore France has the true Eurovision victory.

RageAndLov
05-17-2009, 04:03 AM
Well, when Alexander Rybak was winning I lay drunk on a beach. I was going to see EuroVision this year but of course it had to be on 16th May which is the biggest party of the year with all the russ (the last yearsmen of high school in Norway), so I missed it.

And have you people who have followed Rybak from MGP Norge to the final seen that he always cut a string or three when he
performs? I wonder what the hell he is doing to always do that.

I'm glad that some other than a slavic country won this time. Not that it is something wrong with those countries, it is just that half of the countries that participate in EuroVision is slavic, and of course they vote for each other, so that a slavic country always win, even though the song is not the best one.

It is a good song, and with Rybak being born in Belarus the chances for him winning increased. He did interviews on Russian and stuff, so the slavic countries started to love him.

ad8
05-17-2009, 04:13 AM
I didn't watch it, but I read in the news that Germany fucked up. That made me happy for some minutes:D

KyleW
05-17-2009, 05:14 AM
This years voting was actually a lot less political. In fact, the entire voting system has changed. Instead of a fully public vote (which ensures political voting really) it was a half public/half panel of experts vote, which I guess separated the good songs from the bad songs slightly.

Anyway, I dont think Eurovision is about having the best song by the best band in europe. Half of the countries dont take it seriously anymore. I dont mean to detract from Norways victory btw, after all they smashed the record for most points by a ridiculus amount! :D

Rooster
05-17-2009, 05:52 AM
Well, i don't care much about this contest, in fact i haven't even heard the song that Slovenia sent to compete yet (to be honest i haven't heard last year's song either), but congratulations to Norway anyway :)

wheelchairman
05-17-2009, 07:14 AM
If you can't accept the campy kitschy partyness of eurovision you shouldn't watch. Eurovision is something you watch while drinking with friends. (But if they take it too seriously it's fucking annoying.) And when you drink you start to care more!

I watched it with eurovision buzzkills yesterday, it was very annoying. I'm afraid I was outside having a cigarette while Norway played so I missed it. Personally I voted for Germany, I thought they were great. The hot stripper chick with with the weird gladiators were cool, and the hot Turkish chick was good too. The rest were all fairly mediocre.

I wish Malta would stop making that fat chick sing for them every year. Did she commit some kind of crime and this is her punishment? Also whichever country had the cloudy night sky in the background with a dolphin flying through, that was messed up.

Denmark was boring this year thogh. :(

I didn't see TATU anywhere, did they qualify for the finals?

As for political voting, it always amuses me when Scandinavians say this. "ooh the Eastern European nations always vote for each other wah wah", we only complain about that because they broke the Scandinavian monopoly over Eurovision, since the Scandinavian countries always vote for each other...

LLamas, the whole thing is lipsynching anyways I think. It's not really important. As I said if you take this too seriously you'll never enjoy it. As for English that's a long story. I think back in the day nations had to perform in their own language (this is back when England actually won a lot, probably because of this very thing.) Eventually they changed it. A lot of countries sing in English hoping for better results. Also because I really don't think Dutch or German would sound very good while sung. :p

This year though had a lot less variety than other years which was kinda annoying. And they didn't have the amusing Dutch comedian host for Holland's votes this year, probably because he called the Serbian performer two years ago 'Kelly Osbourne.'

I did enjoy Slovenia's votes. "Let's have 1 min. of silence for Slovenia not making it to the finals."

"We would like the results now"

It was great.

mrs_hollandova
05-17-2009, 07:50 AM
Haha, Slovakia was 37 out of 42 :) Great success ;)

My favourite was Moldova, Norway and Estonia and Ukraine. Czech republic as well :p

Llamas
05-17-2009, 10:59 AM
I'm glad that some other than a slavic country won this time. Not that it is something wrong with those countries, it is just that half of the countries that participate in EuroVision is slavic, and of course they vote for each other, so that a slavic country always win, even though the song is not the best one.
I really don't get why people always say this... a lot of Slavic countries HATE each other and would never vote for each other. And look at how many of them don't even make the finals. It has nothing to do with that; it's probably just because there are so many of them that one is likely to win.

If you can't accept the campy kitschy partyness of eurovision you shouldn't watch. Eurovision is something you watch while drinking with friends. (But if they take it too seriously it's fucking annoying.) And when you drink you start to care more!
Well, duh :P

LLamas, the whole thing is lipsynching anyways I think. It's not really important. As I said if you take this too seriously you'll never enjoy it. As for English that's a long story. I think back in the day nations had to perform in their own language (this is back when England actually won a lot, probably because of this very thing.) Eventually they changed it. A lot of countries sing in English hoping for better results. Also because I really don't think Dutch or German would sound very good while sung. :p

This year though had a lot less variety than other years which was kinda annoying. And they didn't have the amusing Dutch comedian host for Holland's votes this year, probably because he called the Serbian performer two years ago 'Kelly Osbourne.'
Ah, didn't know about the lipsyncing thing. Makes a lot of sense and makes the competition even lamer, haha. I enjoyed watching it two years ago with a bunch of friends in Austria, and I don't take it too seriously. That's exactly my point. I don't take it seriously at all. And German sounds great while sung if used right! It's a great rhythmic language that has tons of rhyming sounds in words so it's really good to use musically. SO WHATEVER, YOUR FACE.

Oh, and even though I thought the Serbian singer was really good two years ago, that Kelly Osbourne comment was good.

Mrfreak
05-17-2009, 11:51 AM
I think Poland have good song in contest this year. But we ends only in semi-final. I think Lidia Kopania was better ( and more pretty) than some other shits. I think it is political contest in 80%

nonethelles, Norway was good:)

Tizzalicious
05-17-2009, 12:16 PM
Llamas, actually a LOT of countries sing in English.

I love watching Eurovision, and almost had to miss it because we had company last night, so I actually recorded it and watched it today :o

My favorites were Germany, Portugal Armenia and Norway. Germany being my number 1. Not a lot of people seemed to agree though :( (Per, we gotta watch together again next year!)

Tizzalicious
05-17-2009, 12:16 PM
Oh yeah, and as for Holland, got I'm happy they didn't make it to the finals. I hate those guys.

ad8
05-17-2009, 12:25 PM
I didn't see TATU anywhere, did they qualify for the finals?
http://dokmz.wordpress.com/2009/05/16/russia-gay-activists-in-moscow-thwarted/

Also, I agree with you on your main points, but I missed your usual Norway-bashing... what happened to that?:D

Llamas
05-17-2009, 03:37 PM
My favorites were Germany, Portugal Armenia and Norway. Germany being my number 1. Not a lot of people seemed to agree though :(

Germany's was HORRID!!! He's like Ricky Martin 10 years later, only instead of Latin, Swing. And wtf is he wearing (more like NOT WEARING) in the video?? AHHHH!!!

Alison
05-17-2009, 04:44 PM
Are you sure it's lipsynched? Or was it always, because a few years ago, the guy who played for Ireland forgot some lines.
We didn't manage to get in this year...thankfully, as the "rock chick band" didnt get in:p they were embarassing

RageAndLov
05-17-2009, 05:24 PM
As for political voting, it always amuses me when Scandinavians say this. "ooh the Eastern European nations always vote for each other wah wah", we only complain about that because they broke the Scandinavian monopoly over Eurovision, since the Scandinavian countries always vote for each other...

Well there are five Nordic countries, and 20-something slavic countries. There is a difference there.

Llamas
05-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Well there are five Nordic countries, and 20-something slavic countries. There is a difference there.

Did you miss this?

I really don't get why people always say this... a lot of Slavic countries HATE each other and would never vote for each other. And look at how many of them don't even make the finals. It has nothing to do with that; it's probably just because there are so many of them that one is likely to win.

RageAndLov
05-17-2009, 05:38 PM

Which Slavic countries hate each other?

English is not as common in Eastern Europe as in the Western world, therefore when a singer sings in a language they understand, the country are more likely to vote for this nation.

Also, the Slavic countries make Slavic music, and the Slavic people in all of Eastern Europe like thier own music and votes for that kind of music.
It's like you live in Goth-land (which listens to Goth music) with 20-something other Goth-lands, and when a nation like England makes for example techno music, the 20-something nations would rather vote for another Goth-land than the British techno land.

wheelchairman
05-17-2009, 05:46 PM
It's not really a fair comparison, if you look closely at who votes what the Slavic nations can easily be divided into sub-groups. Former Yugoslavian nations tend to vote for each other more, Russia Ukraine and Belarus can be blocked together, etc.

Not to mention that it makes sense that nations with similar cultures will vote for each other, it's really obvious.

On top of that Eastern Europe generally seems to use huge popstars from their own nations whereas at least with Denmark, I've never heard of the contestant. (I do know who the Brødrene Olsen are but I didn't watch or wasn't in the country when they won.)

Llamas
05-17-2009, 06:50 PM
Which Slavic countries hate each other?
Well, for one, pretty much everyone hates Serbia. In fact, I was amazed that Serbia won in 2007... all the Croatians and Bosnians I knew FREAKED OUT haha! But also... Bosnia and Croatia aren't exactly friendly, a lot of the more "westernized" slavic countries have issues with ex-Yugoslav countries... I'm not saying these countries hate each other necessarily , but they're not really as friendly as you may think.

English is not as common in Eastern Europe as in the Western world, therefore when a singer sings in a language they understand, the country are more likely to vote for this nation.
Oh, I know. I wasn't just comparing Eastern to Western there... but like, France and Spain for example versus Norway and Germany. WTF? haha. (I dunno about this year, I guess... but usually France and Spain are in French and Spanish while Norway and Germany are in English.)

Also, the Slavic countries make Slavic music, and the Slavic people in all of Eastern Europe like thier own music and votes for that kind of music.
It's like you live in Goth-land (which listens to Goth music) with 20-something other Goth-lands, and when a nation like England makes for example techno music, the 20-something nations would rather vote for another Goth-land than the British techno land.
lol, that's a terrible sweeping stereotype...

RageAndLov
05-17-2009, 11:33 PM
lol, that's a terrible sweeping stereotype...

Maybe it is, but the people who actually watch this competition are usually families, which are perhaps more conservative when it comes to music. If a heavy metal band or a rapper would be a country's competitor, it would have to be pretty family friendly to gain votes.
And perhaps these Slavic families rather would vote for "thier" music than some noisy/unfittingly/wierd music that is "ment for" young adults.
It's naturally to vote for the music you like to listen to.

Llamas
05-17-2009, 11:59 PM
Maybe it is, but the people who actually watch this competition are usually families, which are perhaps more conservative when it comes to music. If a heavy metal band or a rapper would be a country's competitor, it would have to be pretty family friendly to gain votes.
And perhaps these Slavic families rather would vote for "thier" music than some noisy/unfittingly/wierd music that is "ment for" young adults.
It's naturally to vote for the music you like to listen to.

totes magoats missed my point. bjut it's cool cause I'm drunk dawg. fuckin' norway! PS bokmal > nynorsk. lololo

Tizzalicious
05-18-2009, 01:11 AM
Germany's was HORRID!!! He's like Ricky Martin 10 years later, only instead of Latin, Swing. And wtf is he wearing (more like NOT WEARING) in the video?? AHHHH!!!

Well, I didn't like the singers look (obviously), but I loved the song.

lil_punk_rawker
05-18-2009, 03:16 AM
I didn't really like Norway's entry, it was a bit too, i dunno.
I think Estonia should have got higher, it was really catchy considering it was so orchestrally based.
I also thought Azerbaijin's was so catchy, i had it stuck in my head for like 2 whole days!

RageAndLov
05-18-2009, 06:41 AM
PS bokmal > nynorsk. lololo

+9000x10000

Fractal
05-18-2009, 11:20 AM
So, basically, Norway lacks talent.

Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, Poland, Slovakia, Czech Rep. and then broken Yugoslavia (Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, B&H, Montenegro, Macedonia). Also, Bulgaria. There's 13.

Obviously, there is some hate in Yugoslavia. Russia loves Serbia. I have nothing against Serbia. I've been to Croatia, they have some special music that I hate.

I really loved our song. It was kinda musical theatre song. Dark, super exciting, goosebumps on my brain! Plus, my soft spot for duets. It didn't get into final. The genre is not very popular. It's for more advanced listeners. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zddZsxjGkE

I really liked Eurovision this year. Huuuuuge show, so very well done.

I liked,
Bosna & Herzegovina - very emotive! cool dresses and drums. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTww96yrM30
Estonia - cool colours, hawt qt singer, beautiful song! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAXiL0C3p_0
Russia - holy shit, it almost made me cry! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN45ZDwI2Ik
Iceland - beautiful woman, very good song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p7b5cxVRAs

Slovenia - good.
Turkey - love the intro.
Cyprus - cute, didn't get into final.
Romania - catchy but so 90s.
Norway - obviously, catchy violin, and he is too cute for teenage girls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlJjyPeyq9w Natalya Vodyanova has fallen from heaven. :D

Arczu
05-19-2009, 01:43 AM
Congratulations to Norway. They had the best song is not like Poland -.-

mrs_hollandova
05-19-2009, 05:03 AM
Congratulations to Norway. They had the best song is not like Poland -.-

No, it wasn't best song... But still better than last year :D

Arczu
05-19-2009, 10:27 AM
Which song should win mrs_hollandova :P?

Redjie
05-19-2009, 12:03 PM
Meh, Idk, I liked some of the songs but this year, I didn't see as much as talent, as much as good songs as the last year had.

f/ example, I believe that the last year's portuguese song was the best and we ended up in 13th place. so unfair. :rolleyes:

mip_04
05-19-2009, 04:45 PM
Meh, Idk, I liked some of the songs but this year, I didn't see as much as talent, as much as good songs as the last year had.

f/ example, I believe that the last year's portuguese song was the best and we ended up in 13th place. so unfair. :rolleyes:

Yeah!! I haven't watched the festival in this year, but but in the last years portuguese song was awesome...

mrs_hollandova
05-20-2009, 12:10 AM
Which song should win mrs_hollandova :P?

Hmm my favourite was Moldova! "Hora di Moldova" or something like that

wheelchairman
05-20-2009, 07:37 AM
Hora Din Moldova.

It's funny because it's like 1 letter away in Danish from saying "Whore your Moldova"

МЫША
05-20-2009, 07:45 AM
Our song was shit. Not for Eurovision.

Fractal
05-20-2009, 11:10 AM
Our song was shit. Not for Eurovision.
Your song was amazing.

Why does everybody have a very thin vision of Eurovision???

It should totally be a clusterfuck of cultures. It should be a huge show. I'd like to see it evolve into The World Vision. It should be used as a tool to keep peace in the world. Just a presentation of a song should be a huge success for any country. Why does it have to have a contribution ONLY to music???

Scumbag
08-23-2009, 03:14 AM
The song is getting old, and I'm sick of it. MAKE IT STOP!! Naah, it's not that bad, but I really am sick of it

RageAndLov
08-23-2009, 04:10 PM
The song is getting old, and I'm sick of it. MAKE IT STOP!! Naah, it's not that bad, but I really am sick of it

Would you prefer My Boobs Are Okay on the radio 24/7?