PDA

View Full Version : Dexter interview about the new tour

RonWelty
05-16-2009, 07:23 PM
When you name your first major U.S. tour in years the “S--- Is F---ed Up Tour,” there’s probably a good reason behind it. “It’s simple: the world’s really messed up,” explains Dexter Holland, frontman for the eternally popular pop-punk band the Offspring. “We wrote that song last year, and it seems to be more relevant than ever.”

But as the world crashes, the Offspring continue to maintain a steady course. Five years removed from their last record (“Splinter”), 2008’s “Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace” showed the Orange County vets in peak form. This summer, Holland and his bandmates will finally tour the U.S. again, bringing along an all-star crew of opening bands. We spoke with the singer just before the first day of the tour, and found out his thoughts on getting older, the joys of “Guitar Hero” and how to not die in a knife fight.

You’re calling this the “S--- Is F---ed Up Tour.” That’s an interesting theme.
It’s named after one of our songs on the new album. There will be some incorporation of that theme into our backdrops and such…but it’s not going to be a concept show.

You’re taking out seven different opening bands on the tour (Dropkick Murphys, Alkaline Trio, Sum 41, Street Dogs, Pennywise, Shiny Toy Guns, Frank Turner), with each only playing a few cities. Why do it that way?
The main reason is that they had already committed to other tours. I mean, we love the Dropkick Murphys, but they were only available for a few East Coast dates. And for someone like Shiny Toy Guns…we’ve never played with them, but I saw them in a tiny club, and I thought they’d be a cool addition.

As you get older—sorry—does touring get harder?
Not really. I suppose eventually it will. Maybe we drink a little less.

It’s been about five years between your new studio album and your last one, and almost as long for a full U.S. tour. What happened?
It wasn’t on purpose. It’s funny how time gets away from you. We did a “Greatest Hits” album a few years back, and by the time we did some promotion, two more years had gone by. We’re like, “We better get started on some new stuff!” Plus, this is our eighth album, and we really wanted to challenge ourselves. We took some extra time.

Chris Cornell did a dance album with Timbaland. Did you ever feel like being that “challenging” with the record?
[Laughs] We worked within our strengths. We were never going to do jazz fusion or anything. The first thing was that it was going to be melodic, guitar-based songs, and we went from there.

Years ago, you wanted to partner with Napster for a tour and give away your album online. Looking back and knowing what you know now, was that a good decision?
[Long pause] Well…that was a dumb idea. [Laughs] The face of it has changed. We were great proponents of things like Napster back then. It was more of a sampling service. But now it’s more complicated. That said, things like iTunes are a great, legitimate way to get music. Unfortunately, I think the market has changed—we think an album is about more than just one or two hit songs, but with the new ways of getting music, people seem to be going back to singles.

Have you guys checked out “Rock Band” and “Guitar Hero”?
I think they’re great. It’s a good way to expose people to music. People don’t like music less—it’s just getting people to pay for it that’s a problem. Actually, [guitarist] Noodles’ young son came back from playing “Guitar Hero 3” the other day and was singing Blue Oyster Cult. He definitely was never getting exposed to that in any other way.

Your latest single “Kristy, Are You Doing Okay?” is a slower song for you. Is that going over well with your fans?
It seems to be. We played a Top 40 radio station event in San Antonio, and it seems like everyone knew the words. It’s a personal song about someone, obviously not named Kristy in real life, who I knew who was sexually abused as a kid. I couldn’t put my finger on what happened to her at the time. So, it’s me looking back and saying I’m sorry that it happened to you and I wish I could have done more.

You and Coldplay both have songs called “Fix You” on your new albums; which is better?
Ours, of course! Actually, Coldplay is a great band. I wasn’t aware they had the same song title.

You could sue them. Everyone else is.
Hey, yeah! I wrote that song waaaaay before they did.

Is there a country where you guys are more popular than here?
It’s funny, I think it’s different with every band. We do really well throughout Europe. I think if you play there a lot, there’s a sort of…well, not “loyalty,” but you get established. Japan is amazing for us. Actually, I think it’s our use of “whoa whoas” in the songs…you don’t have to know English to sing along.

You were originally going to call your 2003 album “Chinese Democracy (You Snooze You Lose)” as sort of a joke. Did you ever hear the Guns N’ Roses album?
We actually shared a drummer—Josh Freese, he was with them for a couple of years, and he’s been doing our drum tracks recently. As for the album…I don’t like to say negative things about bands, so we’ll leave it at that. It’s not one of my favorite records.

Very diplomatic! As a band that’s been around for almost two decades, what’s the weirdest rumor you’ve ever heard about yourself?
That Noodles had been killed in a knife fight. A long time ago, we did a benefit show at this club with a band called Final Conflict. Some skinheads came by, they had a beef with the band. Noodles, being a peacemaker, tried to intervene. Some skinhead punched him in the arm, and I guess he did have a knife, because Noodles was bleeding a little bit from the bicep. But just a little bit. By the next day, everyone had heard he was dead.

Being eight albums and almost 20 years into the band, do you think you can keep going?
We’re still really inspired. I look at bands like U2, for example, and it obviously still feels good for them. They’re still into it. I think we can keep going for a long time.

DEXTER, pardon me, but I would slap you in the face, you say you do great in Europe, so Why not a proper tour? grrrr

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
05-16-2009, 07:31 PM
u are my favorite detective u find breaking news fast and accurate

I HATE IT WHEN THEY CALL THE OFFSPRING A POP PUNK BAND!!!!!!!!

leo3375
05-16-2009, 08:53 PM
Source?

Seriously, please post a link to the source for any interview.

Gustavo
05-16-2009, 08:56 PM
Whoa, thanks for the interview, RonWelty! :)
Does anyone know who did this interview? I'd really like to know.

SelfEsteem94
05-16-2009, 10:30 PM
pop punk band my ass,
The Offspring are simply punk,
nothing else.

TakesMeNowhere28
05-16-2009, 10:34 PM
I can't believe Dexter called Coldplay a great band. They don't hold a candle to The Offspring.

Skinny
05-16-2009, 10:41 PM
Come-on, let's be realistic, they do have punk songs, but they're making an increasing number of pop-punk songs. Not to take anything away from them, but they aren't strictly a punk band anymore.

KHWHD
05-16-2009, 10:46 PM
As a band that’s been around for almost two decades, what’s the weirdest rumor you’ve ever heard about yourself?
That Noodles had been killed in a knife fight. A long time ago, we did a benefit show at this club with a band called Final Conflict. Some skinheads came by, they had a beef with the band. Noodles, being a peacemaker, tried to intervene. Some skinhead punched him in the arm, and I guess he did have a knife, because Noodles was bleeding a little bit from the bicep. But just a little bit. By the next day, everyone had heard he was dead.

I remember Noodles talking about that at that Philly station acoustic show they did last summer.

mrs_hollandova
05-16-2009, 11:44 PM
I can't believe Dexter called Coldplay a great band. They don't hold a candle to The Offspring.

yeah, and U2 as well... :eek: both are shit

Outerspaceman21
05-16-2009, 11:53 PM
Hey, cool. Thanks.

You were originally going to call your 2003 album “Chinese Democracy (You Snooze You Lose)” as sort of a joke. Did you ever hear the Guns N’ Roses album?
We actually shared a drummer—Josh Freese, he was with them for a couple of years, and he’s been doing our drum tracks recently. As for the album…I don’t like to say negative things about bands, so we’ll leave it at that. It’s not one of my favorite records.

This is one of the reasons why I like the Offspring. They never talk crap about others bands and their egos aren't epic like Green Day

RonWelty
05-17-2009, 04:57 AM
Source?

Seriously, please post a link to the source for any interview.

I forgot, but Do I think I invented this for my own?

I hate all this people that just don't do anything for us and just complain.

drummerbecca
05-17-2009, 05:13 AM

But they are a pop punk band. Honestly, if you can't see that they are, I'm worried about you.

yeah, and U2 as well... :eek: both are shit

Why do people find it difficult to accept that some people have eclectic tastes in music? Dexter didn't say he was a huge fan of either, and he certainly didn't compare them to his own band. Fucking hell, you people need to open your minds a little bit. Just because you think a band is shit, doesn't mean they are. It's opinion, not fact.

This is one of the reasons why I like the Offspring. They never talk crap about others bands and their egos aren't epic like Green Day

This ^

zsk
05-17-2009, 05:29 AM

i too....see Blink 182,Sum 41 or Bowling for Soup THAT'S Pop-Punk

Grimesy da Offspringfan
05-17-2009, 05:35 AM
i too....see Blink 182,Sum 41 or Bowling for Soup THAT'S Pop-Punk

Exactly. Those guys, who are between 25-35 years old, THEY are pop-punk. I think The Offspring is more like kinda metal influenced punk-rock, and no other band does something like this. They are definitely NOT a pure punkband though

Omni
05-17-2009, 10:49 AM
Why do people find it difficult to accept that some people have eclectic tastes in music? Dexter didn't say he was a huge fan of either, and he certainly didn't compare them to his own band. Fucking hell, you people need to open your minds a little bit. Just because you think a band is shit, doesn't mean they are. It's opinion, not fact.

U2 and Coldplay aren't even that eclectic. U2 is a well-established, ultra popular, legendary and iconic rock band. And Coldplay is a pretty popular rock band leaning to a pop sound, I dont think they're that bad myself. People are starting shit for no reason. Just listen to the music.

Fractal
05-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Unfortunately, I think the market has changed—we think an album is about more than just one or two hit songs, but with the new ways of getting music, people seem to be going back to singles.

As for the album…I don’t like to say negative things about bands, so we’ll leave it at that. It’s not one of my favorite records.
So that's why you decided for 12 songs-12singles strategy. Start doing music and stop giving shit about how market has changed.

Oh, common, Dexter. You are not on the offspring forums. You can be negative. :D

Rutegard
05-17-2009, 11:27 AM
But they are a pop punk band. Honestly, if you can't see that they are, I'm worried about you.

but, they are, THE BEST pop punk band :P right? lol

drummerbecca
05-17-2009, 11:40 AM
U2 and Coldplay aren't even that eclectic.

True, but I didn't mean the bands themselves were eclectic - they both have a similar kind of sound and don't seem to draw any other styles of music into what they do. I meant peoples taste in music in general.

Ana - ;)

dff_punk
05-17-2009, 11:43 AM
The borderline between "pop-punk" and "punk-rock" is very small(short, thin, how exactly can I say it?). So the arguing what is pop-punk and what is punk-rock could go on for ages, still there will be someone who's not satisfied. Maybe the best(or the most alibist) conclusion is to call everything just "rock", lol. But what I wanted to say in general, please stop this goddamn genre arguing!

Gustavo
05-17-2009, 12:10 PM

No problem that you forgot! :)

Could you just please tell us who did this interview or the source for this interview?
it would be really appreciated.

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
05-17-2009, 12:24 PM

This ^

well they are starting to make more pop punk songs, BUT in general they are punk
blink182, simple plan are pop punk
and i never said bands like cold play are shit

Rutegard
05-17-2009, 12:26 PM
well they are starting to make more pop punk songs, BUT in general they are punk

it doesnt matter wut they are, the only thing that matters is how good they can be at doing wut they do, lol, and in that section, oh my, they r the best just being wutever they are!!!

Jojan
05-17-2009, 12:34 PM
What source is that from?

Joyce
05-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Being eight albums and almost 20 years into the band, do you think you can keep going?
We’re still really inspired. I look at bands like U2, for example, and it obviously still feels good for them. They’re still into it. I think we can keep going for a long time.

that's right! I trust you guys!
I'm not worried about you making new records and touring forever & ever! (:

Little_Miss_1565
05-17-2009, 12:51 PM
DEXTER, pardon me, but I would slap you in the face, you say you do great in Europe, so Why not a proper tour? grrrr

Dude, COME ON. How long did it take them to announce a tour in the US, where they live? They had already played a load of European dates by that time. They will do it, so just give them a chance to get it together!

Again, come on. You know people will ask for the link to anything you post. So just post it.

RonWelty
05-17-2009, 01:03 PM
Dude, COME ON. How long did it take them to announce a tour in the US, where they live? They had already played a load of European dates by that time. They will do it, so just give them a chance to get it together!

Again, come on. You know people will ask for the link to anything you post. So just post it.

Why don't you search it for yourse? I'm not wasting more time again on this question, searching for something it«s already here posted. I think the media source is called metromix or something, if you need a prove, search yourself.

Offspring-Junkie
05-18-2009, 12:50 AM
blink182, simple plan are pop punk
and i never said bands like cold play are shit

Dareeltrupunk123: Man, offspring are true punx!!!!
Pennywisefreak: The Offspring are sellouts!
smashistheway83: They were punk until smash, now they are lame pop punk.
wikidude: No, wrong, they are Alternative Rock!
*insert random annoying dude*:*insert random annoying post*

Budzy
05-18-2009, 04:44 AM

I vomitted when I read that.
Dexter was 100/10 on the scale of awesomeness, after that now he just sits at 11/10. :D

nameless
05-18-2009, 07:40 PM
i was most imporessed by the support bands, i just hope they bring that quality line up to europe one day!

Oxygene
05-19-2009, 01:18 AM
I vomitted when I read that.
Dexter was 100/10 on the scale of awesomeness, after that now he just sits at 11/10. :D

My feeling is that Dexer doesn't like this rock bands talking to each other through interviews shit and all in all doesn't believe in openly criticizing other bands. Or in private conversation.. I think he like to keep his opinions to himself, and would rather say something neutral, and avoid any potential tabloid hype - I respect that and I think it's the smart thing to do. He's a strong guy, I don't know if I could refuse the urge to criticize ie Coldplay.

Obviously when bands are being total AND OBJECTIVE douchebags he doesn't hide his opinion (see, axl pose with his braids and what not and creed).. but he makes light of the situation naming splinter chinese democracy and the jesus hates creed shirt, instead of outright saying the band sucks.

Well.. whatever.

Rutegard
05-19-2009, 07:08 AM
then u guys dont wanna know wut they said about bon jovi :P LOL

rockbeer
05-19-2009, 10:00 AM
then u guys dont wanna know wut they said about bon jovi :P LOL

I do... What did they say?

Rutegard
05-19-2009, 10:09 AM
I do... What did they say?

they said nice things about bon jovi :P LOL

damn i have to upload that interview!!!!

and noodles said that john bon jovi is a cute guy LOL

RonWelty
05-21-2009, 07:01 AM
NEW INTERVIEW

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/entertainment/stories.nsf/music/story/DF943F4FDC5EABAB862575BC006557B8?OpenDocument

Stylie
05-21-2009, 10:23 AM
Thanks RonWelty, that was nice reading! Just need to quote some good stuff...

"Every since the beginning, people called us a punk rock band, and I would agree," he says. "That's how we came up and how we were inspired. But I always tried different kinds of songs, and this record is like that. I tried to push it further with songs you wouldn't expect."

"They want to hear more of our material, not just the stuff from the radio," Holland says. "So we'll be doing that, and making the show fun."

RonWelty
05-22-2009, 05:07 AM
http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/articles/2009/05/22/news/top/6fb456aa2dfb76ff862575bd0054f18d.txt NEW ONE

NEW ALBUM ON THE WAY ;D

The Search Button
05-22-2009, 05:33 AM
"Those games are funny," Holland said. "The other day Noodles' little boy walks by us singing 'Don't Fear the Reaper.' Where the hell did he learn that? 'Guitar Hero 3,' that's where. Maybe we'll earn some five-year-old fans in the near future."

I thought the boards were filled with those already.

RonWelty
05-22-2009, 05:35 AM
"Those games are funny," Holland said. "The other day Noodles' little boy walks by us singing 'Don't Fear the Reaper.' Where the hell did he learn that? 'Guitar Hero 3,' that's where. Maybe we'll earn some five-year-old fans in the near future."

I thought the boards were filled with those already.

yeah, look at you :D:D:D

Tomasisko
05-22-2009, 05:59 AM
ohh new album :) Dexter must know that we want Ixnition!