PDA

View Full Version : Dexter playing Gone Away on piano

RageAndLov
05-18-2009, 06:51 AM
Am I the only one finding this out just now? It sounds so nice!

Best version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0Mw7pLGOIs

Whole song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIJaT37tE44

Part of the song, better quality: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVDgLXhARgg

Another video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDHvE6CZjXQ

Stylie
05-18-2009, 06:54 AM
Uhm, if you've been looking in the three media threads it's much more there. ;D

But as I said before; I LOVE IT!! This is pretty damn special, The Offspring or Dexter have never done this before, we didn't even knew Dexter could play the piano. I really like how he changed the melody a bit too, it's really AWESOME!

I think I'm gonna create a group!
edit: hell yeah I did. http://www.offspring.com/forums/group.php?groupid=160

dexterone
05-18-2009, 06:56 AM
I think,this version of Gone away is a bit better than normal.......chorus is so awesome.....really great.... :)

Jojan
05-18-2009, 07:01 AM
I did not get excited.

Little_Miss_1565
05-18-2009, 07:17 AM
I did not get excited.

WTF? Well, I did. Like, a lot.

I like piano songs. :) Probs best exemplified by my obsession with Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. Dexter changed the melody in awesome ways that really sound great. Were I there for this, my lighter would have been in the air the whole time.

And LOL at everyone singing the original melody way out of tune. Yay for beer!

Stylie
05-18-2009, 07:24 AM

Haha, I've thought of that too.
I really hope they play this when I'm gonna see them (whenever that will be...).

Bipolar Bear
05-18-2009, 08:01 AM
That's cool!

FellDrake
05-18-2009, 08:12 AM
Well most fans here will hate me for this, but...
I don't think that piano part added anything to the song. It totally sounds like "Let's do a song on piano like Bad Religion does all the time". The chords Dexter played here could be taken from any mediocre YouTube cover. It's just the guitar part played on piano. You could get so much more out of it with a decent piano score...
The new vocal line sounds pretty good though, I like it. But for the piano... "We totally need a piano on stage! Let's see which song we could play... yeah I know: Gone Away!".
If you can't do it right, just don't do it at all.

Blitzkrieg Bop
05-18-2009, 08:20 AM
I think the Gone Away piano version is awesome, but must confess that I still prefer the original version. So, we can safely assume that the piano in Fix You is all Dexter :)

_Lost_
05-18-2009, 08:25 AM
Another video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDHvE6CZjXQ

lol my video from nashville.

Hypodermic_89
05-18-2009, 08:28 AM
We need an official studio-recording of this piano-version.

Little_Miss_1565
05-18-2009, 09:54 AM
I don't think that piano part added anything to the song. It totally sounds like "Let's do a song on piano like Bad Religion does all the time". The chords Dexter played here could be taken from any mediocre YouTube cover. It's just the guitar part played on piano. You could get so much more out of it with a decent piano score...
The new vocal line sounds pretty good though, I like it. But for the piano... "We totally need a piano on stage! Let's see which song we could play... yeah I know: Gone Away!".

I'm so sorry someone pissed in your Cheerios. That must really suck. :(

gabrielpatriarca
05-18-2009, 11:50 AM
There! They can do a "ballad song" and make it sound nice!
Kristy and fix you couldn't do it for me but this version of gone away definetely did! Maybe they are getting better at it? I hope so!

Fractal
05-18-2009, 11:58 AM
Whoa whoa whoa, this is an amazing idea.

I'd die to hear studio version. The best offspring song.

Marco 1501
05-18-2009, 12:01 PM
Dexters voice is so nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq4pyDDB1vQ

jacknife737
05-18-2009, 12:14 PM
Part of the song, better quality: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVDgLXhARgg

Wow, i'm so happy that i clicked and read this thread, that that was good, damn good. The piano compliments the track better then i would have assumed, i really hope they keep this up during the tour.

Free?
05-18-2009, 12:17 PM
I'm kinda with FellDrake on this one. I liked what they did, I'm with both hands for scenic experiments, I'm pleased with the piano version, but it's silly to say that Dexter played something extraordinary or his genius has much to do with ability to play few chords on piano. But I do think that piano added some fresh feeling to the song and the shows. It was cool. The fact that I prefer original doesn't make this piano version wrong.

The Search Button
05-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Gone Away - Piano Version?

Best invention since the wheel.

FellDrake
05-18-2009, 12:27 PM
I'm so sorry someone pissed in your Cheerios. That must really suck. :(
Well "I" am sorry that I don't think Dexter must be a god because he can play 4 chords on a piano in straight 8ths... so I guess everyone of us has his cross to bear.
Seriously... just using a piano for the sake of using a piano is not innovative or creative. It's such a wonderful song and they could do so much more with a "real" score...

Rutegard
05-18-2009, 12:35 PM

this!

as soon as they can

Dragnet
05-18-2009, 12:35 PM
Well "I" am sorry that I don't think Dexter must be a god because he can play 4 chords on a piano in straight 8ths... so I guess everyone of us has his cross to bear.
Seriously... just using a piano for the sake of using a piano is not innovative or creative. It's such a wonderful song and they could do so much more with a "real" score...

You have to know that most "fans" around here can't take any kind of criticism, even if it's expressed without any kind of defamation.

I don't like this piano version either. It's a nice idea, but just like the accoustic sets they are doing nowadays I'm not such a big fan of that.
However, until now I've only heard some sucky live recording from the crowd.
A better quality bootleg or even studio recording could sound ten times better.

Peedr
05-18-2009, 12:39 PM
Well, a piano version of Gone Away. What a great idea. Thumbs up. :)

Cock Joke
05-18-2009, 12:48 PM
That song just goes so well on piano! I wonder how long he's willing to keep that up. Seeing as how many people approve of it I'm willing to bet a long time.

Cock Joke
05-18-2009, 12:50 PM
Gone Away - Piano Version?

Best invention since the wheel.

Amen !

randman21
05-18-2009, 01:04 PM
FellDrake, you are a total snob about everything.

They totally fooled me with this. When they first brought the piano out, I was like "A Lot Like Me, definitely". Then, when he played the eight bars of intro, I started singing ALLM, because the chord progression is the same. It took me a sec to get it. Anyway, I think the song could do with a little bit better structure (it's just a tad bit erratic in places), but other than that, flawless.

FellDrake
05-18-2009, 01:10 PM
FellDrake, you are a total snob about everything.

Because I have my own opinion? Because I even dare to voice it?

mrconeman
05-18-2009, 01:17 PM
That was awesome. I really like how they're improving musically as they age.

Even the old songs, they play them more confidently than they ever have.

_Lost_
05-18-2009, 01:19 PM

randy has a point man.

randman21
05-18-2009, 01:22 PM

Not really. It's just the way you seem to put forth your opinion as "I think it sucks, so it no doubt sucks." I didn't think the piano part was particularly innovative or creative either, but it didn't ruin the song. They tried something new. It's only been three days, dammit. Maybe Dexter wanted to try it out first to see how the crowd's reaction was, then maybe he'll go back and work on it some more. Oh, and btw, when did power chords become more innovative than those piano chords Dexter is playing? No one ever seemed to complain about those.

FellDrake
05-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Not really. It's just the way you seem to put forth your opinion as "I think it sucks, so it no doubt sucks." I didn't think the piano part was particularly innovative or creative either, but it didn't ruin the song. They tried something new. It's only been three days, dammit. Maybe Dexter wanted to try it out first to see how the crowd's reaction was, then maybe he'll go back and work on it some more. Oh, and btw, when did power chords become more innovative than those piano chords Dexter is playing? No one ever seemed to complain about those.
I did NOT say that it ruined the song. I just said it added nothing to it.
And no, PCs are not innovative, that's exactly why you shouldn't just copy a PC based riff on the piano.
To me, it just seems as if Dexter saw a show of Bad Religion where Graffin played Cease on the piano and thought "Oh, that's a good idea, we should do that too".
I'd love to hear them perform a decent version of Gone Away on piano, but the way they play it now it doesn't make a difference to me if they use the guitar or the piano.

RageAndLov
05-18-2009, 02:02 PM
I like how Dexter sang differently on this version of Gone Away.
And I hope this will be recorded in studio!

Americana98
05-18-2009, 02:32 PM
If they include a studio-recorded version of it on their next new CD as a bonus track I think it'd be pretty great.

chicapowerpunk
05-18-2009, 03:10 PM
This versions is something crazy........ ;):D

Little_Miss_1565
05-18-2009, 07:08 PM
FellDrake, it didn't knock me off my chair either but when has the Offspring EVER been about technical precision and wizardry? To answer myself, never. It's about feel! And this version completely changes the feel of the song in a way that I find interesting. The "Cease" comparison is grasping at straws. American Lesion came out like 10 years ago, and you can bet your sweet ass Dexter didn't just hear it now. Besides, can Dexter even olay piano other than what's in that video? I sure as shit can't.

Your stance on this issue IS kind of snobbish, and it has nothing to do with that you're voicing an opinion. If you want to take a dump on Dexter, why insist on doing it in his house?

SweetTatyana
05-18-2009, 07:22 PM
Wow I love this so much, theres so much heart and soul in it. I am totally going to cry when I see this in person.

KHWHD
05-18-2009, 07:23 PM
Wow I love this so much, theres so much heart and soul in it. I am totally going to cry when I see this in person.

That makes 2 of us. We'll cry together. :( :D

Llamas
05-18-2009, 07:31 PM
Dexter changed the melody in awesome ways that really sound great. Were I there for this, my lighter would have been in the air the whole time.

Agreed with all of this.

The best part is not the piano part; it's the melody. <3

Dude, while you make good (albeit obvious) points, this is obviously not meant to be the Offspring saying HEY CHECK US OUT WE'RE SO GOOD AT PIANO BALLADS. It's the first time Dexter has played piano on stage; what were you expecting? Piano obviously creates a much different atmosphere than electric guitar, so even just playing the same chords on a different instrument DOES make a difference. He wasn't trying to be Chopin... just to do something different. It worked, and maybe it's a first step toward something even more awesome.

Llamas
05-18-2009, 07:35 PM
Besides, can Dexter even olay piano other than what's in that video? I sure as shit can't.
This typo made me lol. I read it as "ole" and totally pictured Dexter playing this version of gone away while wearing a huge sombrero, and then at the end, yelling "ole!" and dancing. He should do that.

Maria Cortez
05-18-2009, 08:23 PM
Wow, Holland you can play the piano like no other! :D :) :cool: :o

Little_Miss_1565
05-18-2009, 09:17 PM
This typo made me lol. I read it as "ole" and totally pictured Dexter playing this version of gone away while wearing a huge sombrero, and then at the end, yelling "ole!" and dancing. He should do that.

Please god yes.

OffspringPsycho
05-18-2009, 09:50 PM
Omg, it's so good! If they play that when I see them I'm gonna shit my pants :)

Fractal
05-18-2009, 10:25 PM
Another one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0Mw7pLGOIs

ZeQuebecois
05-18-2009, 10:25 PM
A really nice surprise from the band! I bet this was hard to think 5-10 years back from now, but it's really nice to see that The Offspring is always innovating with success their approach toward the music in general and toward older tracks they modificate at our ear's greatest pleasure !:D (Sorry if this wasn't formuled well...)
Now I've gotta find those piano tabs...:p

FellDrake
05-19-2009, 12:16 AM
FellDrake, it didn't knock me off my chair either but when has the Offspring EVER been about technical precision and wizardry? To answer myself, never. It's about feel! And this version completely changes the feel of the song in a way that I find interesting. The "Cease" comparison is grasping at straws. American Lesion came out like 10 years ago, and you can bet your sweet ass Dexter didn't just hear it now. Besides, can Dexter even olay piano other than what's in that video? I sure as shit can't.

Your stance on this issue IS kind of snobbish, and it has nothing to do with that you're voicing an opinion. If you want to take a dump on Dexter, why insist on doing it in his house?
No, it is exactly about voicing an opinion. I told you that I don't think it's original in any way. What's wrong about that? I even acknowledged that I like the new vocal line so I'm far away from "taking a dump on Dexter".
But every piece of criticism posted here seems to be taken as a personal affront against the band itself.
"Cease" btw was played the first time live with BR on the TESF-Tour where they recorded Live at the Palladium.
It's a shame that you can't post any critique on such a board without getting flamed for it but that seems the way it is. Hence I think it's rather pointless to further elaborate that here. If you have anything to add, please do it via PM since I'll refrain from further posting here.

randman21
05-19-2009, 03:12 AM
No, it is exactly about voicing an opinion. I told you that I don't think it's original in any way. What's wrong about that? I even acknowledged that I like the new vocal line so I'm far away from "taking a dump on Dexter".
But every piece of criticism posted here seems to be taken as a personal affront against the band itself.
*sigh* Take a look at Dragnet's reply to yours. I was completely fine with that, yet he totally agreed with you. "If you can't do it right, just don't do it at all" was the thing that struck me as particularly snobbish. What I was trying to say is that you don't get to decide what whether it was done right or not, to the point that they shouldn't even have tried it. I really don't want to make it into a thing, though, because other than this, I sorta think you rock.

mrs_hollandova
05-19-2009, 04:42 AM
I think Dexter is evil :mad: and I'm scared of him now. He can do anything he wants, he looks good and everybody loves him. There must be something strange... :rolleyes: Seriously, I'm scared!

Rutegard
05-19-2009, 04:43 AM
I think Dexter is evil :mad: and I'm scared of him now. He can do anything he wants, he looks good and everybody loves him. There must be something strange... :rolleyes: Seriously, I'm scared!

yeah...and aint that great? :D

mrs_hollandova
05-19-2009, 04:45 AM
yeah...and aint that great? :D

Yeah it is, but it's also scarry at the same time. Maybe he can read peoples minds as well :eek: Or something worse!

Rutegard
05-19-2009, 04:47 AM
Yeah it is, but it's also scarry at the same time. Maybe he can read peoples minds as well :eek: Or something worse!

i wouldnt mind at all :P

then he would know how badly we all want this song studio version!

mrs_hollandova
05-19-2009, 04:50 AM
i wouldnt mind at all :P

then he would know how badly we all want this song studio version!

Yeeeeeeessssssssssss!!!

Kalo13
05-19-2009, 07:13 AM
This song rulez ! I really like it, they should play it more often :)

rockbeer
05-19-2009, 09:21 AM
I really love the original live version, but the piano version is good for a change. It brings a different feeling... The original one sounds so 'angry' and this one is... sweet, but not in a gay way.

_Lost_
05-19-2009, 09:37 AM
I really love the original live version, but the piano version is good for a change. It brings a different feeling... The original one sounds so 'angry' and this one is... sweet, but not in a gay way.

this .

Offspring-Junkie
05-19-2009, 09:44 AM
I enjoyed it. Thanks for the upload.

Fractal
05-19-2009, 12:04 PM
Light-hearted, that's the right word for it.

Gayman
05-19-2009, 01:44 PM
That was a great version! I hope I will hear it if....I mean when they come to Finland.

Biggest offspring fan
05-19-2009, 02:08 PM
WOW thats awsome! I really damn hope that we get a studio recording on this.

dr.vanessa
05-19-2009, 02:47 PM
Gone Away is one of my favorite songs it used to make me cry everytime i listened to it for a long time.This version really touches my heart too n i want a studio version of it for sure!!!!!:):)

Stylie
05-20-2009, 12:41 AM
Didn't know exactly where to post this, so...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI5q34M0SIk

mrs_hollandova
05-20-2009, 12:47 AM
:Dthank you for the video :)

We forgot to ask Dexter (again) who is Gone away about :p

RageAndLov
05-20-2009, 02:28 AM
:Dthank you for the video :)

We forgot to ask Dexter (again) who is Gone away about :p

The official statement is that it is about loss in general.

Alison
05-20-2009, 03:06 AM
It was nice, I liked it.

But, if i had he choice of hearing them play this piano version or the normal version live...i'd say the normal one.

Still though, it was pretty nice.

SweetTatyana
05-20-2009, 08:32 AM
That makes 2 of us. We'll cry together. :( :D

haha yeah we will! In front row :)!!

GunForHire
05-20-2009, 03:41 PM
Wow, never thought I'd see The Offspring doing a song on piano at a gig! I like this version, it's different, much the same way I dig the lounge version of TKAA. Sometimes change is good.

Count Orlok
05-21-2009, 06:54 AM
This is really cool!
Didn't know Holland plays piano...In this Version, Gone Away sounds even more melancholic.I hope they will have some of those slow, dark songs on their future albums.

the_real_potomek
05-21-2009, 01:25 PM
ha, finally I could listen to this version:D I really like it. And Dexter keeps surprising me, I didn't know he can play piano.

Rutegard
05-21-2009, 01:34 PM
Didn't know exactly where to post this, so...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI5q34M0SIk

thanks! this one is really good!

mip_04
05-21-2009, 02:35 PM
I'm glad to see and heard that!! It's so cool!!
I loved them... :D

<3

Beaker
05-21-2009, 05:23 PM
interesting, i like.

Ninty Man
05-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Live at the palladium ?Bad Religion?

Oh shit, is the offspring, MY BAD :D

Little_Miss_1565
05-21-2009, 09:45 PM
Seriously, no one else here owns American Lesion? Why does everyone think Live at the Palladium was the first time that song met the world?

cool 2 hate 681
05-21-2009, 10:18 PM
Seriously, no one else here owns American Lesion? Why does everyone think Live at the Palladium was the first time that song met the world?

i have american lesion:) but it it is kinda annoying everytime people hear the piano version of cease they think of live at the palladium it's probably due to that album being out of print:confused:

Ninty Man
05-21-2009, 11:12 PM

Chill off ma'am. I know the freaking album, but I tought it would be more... MAINSTREAM, to get the Palladium shit

findout5
05-22-2009, 04:08 AM
Once upon a time I ripped American Lesion and shared it...

sneedo83
05-23-2009, 12:07 AM
http://vimeo.com/4794771

sorry for the shitty video quality.

gimmegum
05-23-2009, 12:24 PM
I saw the show last night in KC. It was VERY GOOD! The piano performance is a very nice change up. It's kinda an emotional song anyway, and thinkin' of lost friends (being Memorial weekend and all), and family- who ALL would have loved this shit- made it genuinely over the top.

Little_Miss_1565
05-24-2009, 06:14 PM
Chill off ma'am. I know the freaking album, but I tought it would be more... MAINSTREAM, to get the Palladium shit

Umm...what?

SelfEsteem94
05-25-2009, 07:55 PM
they played this in Austin,
it was amazing.
a lot of people didnt realize he was singing Gone Away,
but they caught on after a little while.

Maria Cortez
05-29-2009, 09:10 PM
My dream is for em to play some songs from each album on piano but I'll pray for a miracle or wish upon a shooting star. :) :D :cool: xoxo

Skinny
05-30-2009, 07:39 PM
I like the change of tempo.. I'd like to hear a studio version of this. Maybe if they do a B-sides/rarity album..

Ninty Man
05-30-2009, 10:11 PM
Umm...what?

That I was trying to make a point, telling about the most recognizable piano moment of bad religion

SuperKnux
05-31-2009, 12:29 AM
Okay gang, I don't know if they have done this since the Austin date, but tonight (just an hour and half ago) in Las Vegas, Dexter played the entire song on piano. The band never once came in. It was all strictly piano.

Please somebody have that recorded my camera died half way in!! (I recorded a lot of the talk before hand.)

The Search Button
05-31-2009, 02:05 AM
Okay gang, I don't know if they have done this since the Austin date, but tonight (just an hour and half ago) in Las Vegas, Dexter played the entire song on piano. The band never once came in. It was all strictly piano.

Please somebody have that recorded my camera died half way in!! (I recorded a lot of the talk before hand.)

It has been done before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf-ME-D4erQ

Credits to Sneedo for this awesome vid.

randman21
05-31-2009, 04:17 AM
FIX YOOOOOOOOOU! Haha, I thought they'd never play that live. Now I'm extremely sad that they didn't do it at the show I attended. :P

Rutegard
05-31-2009, 10:48 AM
yay :D

tho i prefer the "not whole piano song" version :P

Tomasisko
05-31-2009, 11:03 AM
ohh I hope they are too lazy to bring piano with them to Slovakia

RageAndLov
05-31-2009, 11:16 AM
"Fuck You I am a serious musician!"
XD

Blitzkrieg Bop
05-31-2009, 11:35 AM
FIX YOOOOOOOOOU! Haha, I thought they'd never play that live. Now I'm extremely sad that they didn't do it at the show I attended. :P

Not all is lost, you still have one more show to attend :)

Aria
05-31-2009, 12:20 PM
Yay!! He played Fix You like I told him too.... lol.
And Dex is seriously an over-achiever.. So hot.

m.offspring.r
05-31-2009, 12:30 PM
I prefer original version :D

randman21
05-31-2009, 05:06 PM
yay :D

tho i prefer the "not whole piano song" version :P
Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention that. :P I like the way they played it the first time.

jonbb11
05-31-2009, 06:36 PM
yeah i saw the one played in Vegas last night. Based off the videos of ones where the band comes in, I would say that one is better. That song at least I think needs some guitar and drum work to come in at some point.

sneedo83
05-31-2009, 06:46 PM
I'll take the way he sings the second half of the song over the instruments, listen close, (to my video anyway) he sings it differently,.

IamSam
05-31-2009, 06:51 PM
Sneedo, that's an awesome video.

sneedo83
05-31-2009, 06:53 PM
Sneedo, that's an awesome video.

so weigh in on this issue dude, which way do you prefer, all piano or 1/2

IamSam
05-31-2009, 07:17 PM
All. Half sounds too thrown together.

Little_Miss_1565
05-31-2009, 10:51 PM
I love this video. Thanks for doing this, Dexter! Had no idea you could play the piano, like, legit. A man of many talents. You've been holding out on us over here!

I am a huge sucker for pianos in rock bands (which explains two failed relationships, FML) so I like the version where the band comes in halfway through. But this one is super nice! And if Dexter needs any help singing in New York, I know a guy... ;)

The Search Button
06-01-2009, 01:18 AM
Holy shit, I love all the three versions!

They call me an Offspring fan, they say.

ad8
06-01-2009, 01:32 AM
It has been done before:

lol. This is soo awesome, especially when you know that there are musicians(well, I'd better say artists:D) out there who seriously behave like that. Gotta love Dexter.

zsk
06-01-2009, 08:14 AM
that sounds great!
a studio version would be awesome!

hshduppsnt
06-01-2009, 08:17 AM
anyone else almost equally entertained/amused by Charlie Brown as they were the rest? :)

xitherun
06-08-2009, 12:34 PM
anyone else almost equally entertained/amused by Charlie Brown as they were the rest? :)

that was awesome, lol.

Alison
06-08-2009, 02:39 PM
I'm guessing the piano version has been played in all the US concerts so far?
I kinda hope they play the normal version when I see them...I think it's more intense or something...can't explain.

the_real_potomek
06-09-2009, 09:44 AM
wooow, I've just seen that they played also Fix You! I'm impressed, that sounds so great.

Aria
08-23-2009, 10:04 AM
wooow, I've just seen that they played also Fix You! I'm impressed, that sounds so great.

I know, I hope he continues playing Fix You.

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
08-23-2009, 10:24 AM
WTF? Well, I did. Like, a lot.

I like piano songs. :) Probs best exemplified by my obsession with Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. Dexter changed the melody in awesome ways that really sound great. Were I there for this, my lighter would have been in the air the whole time.

i wanna put my lighter up in the air but there is a warning in the back of the lighter that says you shouldn't leave it on for more than 30 seconds. I DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENS AFTER 30 SECONDS!!

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
08-23-2009, 10:29 AM
It has been done before:

i need a tab for this. anyone wanna tab it

GunForHire
08-23-2009, 10:50 AM
After hearing the full-piano Gone Away at Pukkelpop the other night, I gotta say I prefer the version of Gone Away where the rest of the band joins in halfway through, really gives a lot more power to the song.

Smash punker
08-23-2009, 11:27 AM
Dont know the piano version is something new n it totally got me :);)

madGreg
08-23-2009, 01:49 PM

Couldn't agree more. It sounds nice but that's it. It could've been much much better. Gone away is such a nice song.
During 2001 tour they used to do Dirty Magic accoustic version, this was brilliant.

Aria
08-24-2009, 12:12 AM
After hearing the full-piano Gone Away at Pukkelpop the other night, I gotta say I prefer the version of Gone Away where the rest of the band joins in halfway through, really gives a lot more power to the song.

I agree.. especially when I see Greg walking towards the centre of the stage and joining Dexter. I think Gone Away sounded good like that. A bit of both..

However, all in all, I like it Gone Away in these three ways:

1) original
2) on piano and the band joining halfway
3) Gone Away + Fix You on piano

Hmm.. maybe they should do no.2 and no.3 combined. Heehee...

Lord_Gabo
08-24-2009, 12:53 AM
2) on piano and the band joining halfway
3) Gone Away + Fix You on piano

Hmm.. maybe they should do no.2 and no.3 combined. Heehee...

number 2 is the perfection :)

Oxygene
08-24-2009, 01:00 AM
I would prefere gone away + fix you

Aria
08-24-2009, 04:47 AM
I would prefere gone away + fix you

Me too! Since both are awesome rock ballads.

BKDH_1984
10-01-2009, 12:25 AM
Me too! Since both are awesome rock ballads.

This .

dexter85
08-14-2011, 12:57 PM
The piano-version is awful. Boring at best. It lacks the energy from the guitar in the chorus, the drums in general and Dexter hitting the high notes in the chorus. I'm actually pretty disappointed in my fellow Offspring-fans that they neglect the instruments in the original version. Come on! How can four chords played very simply on a piano beat the original version??
If Dexter is no longer able to hit the high notes (notice how he doesn't sing the high notes in the chorus) they should play it in a lower key and not try to hide it behind a "piano version". This song needs a hard rock-sound. I'm going to see them in Paris at the end of the month and I cross my fingers that they will play the REAL version of Gone Away as we know it from Ixnay.

randman21
08-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Why would you bump this thread for that? I want to see the original as well (never seen it live), but this felt a little douchey to me.

Tijs
08-14-2011, 01:37 PM
I hope we'll get to see a piano version of either Beheaded or Da Hui.

ThunderPX
08-14-2011, 01:58 PM
I hope we get a piano version of The Blurb.

Krojd
08-14-2011, 02:36 PM
I hope for piano version of Gone Away piano version.

MAXTER
08-14-2011, 03:34 PM
I just wanna see them play together!!! Always! :rolleyes:

danitanev
08-14-2011, 11:37 PM
Absolutely, I want studio record of that great song too! C'mon guys give it to us - It's awesome! :)

danitanev
08-14-2011, 11:49 PM
FellDrake - you're here just to argue with everybody probably? Your knowledge about music is great, so make your own band and do whatever you want to and whatever you think is right!

dexter85
08-15-2011, 04:58 AM
Why would you bump this thread for that? I want to see the original as well (never seen it live), but this felt a little douchey to me.

I found this thread via google. Didn't notice the dates until after. But I hold on to my opinion.

Little_Miss_1565
08-15-2011, 09:36 AM
The piano-version is awful. Boring at best. It lacks the energy from the guitar in the chorus, the drums in general and Dexter hitting the high notes in the chorus. I'm actually pretty disappointed in my fellow Offspring-fans that they neglect the instruments in the original version. Come on! How can four chords played very simply on a piano beat the original version??
If Dexter is no longer able to hit the high notes (notice how he doesn't sing the high notes in the chorus) they should play it in a lower key and not try to hide it behind a "piano version". This song needs a hard rock-sound. I'm going to see them in Paris at the end of the month and I cross my fingers that they will play the REAL version of Gone Away as we know it from Ixnay.

I don't think it's a matter of "beating" the original version, but rather just doing something different, which everyone has to do lest you end up like every other band out there. There's a YouTube video somewhere out there of the rest of the band coming in with Dexter on piano -- does anyone have that link handy?

Jakebert
08-15-2011, 09:40 AM
I dunno, I think that dude is right. This obviously means that they'll be playing the piano version when he sees them live.

randman21
08-15-2011, 01:48 PM
does anyone have that link handy?

I didn't check the other links, but the one in the first post following "Another video" is of that set up. I was there that night, and it was one of the coolest things I'd ever seen live!

Now it's my understanding that they never played it like that again? I'm a little hazy on that fact, but I guess it's true that they started doing it with just Dexter on Piano?

If that's the case, I see dexter85's point and agree with his overall sentiment. I want to see the original and no the piano. It's just that when people post like that, it automatically makes me want to oppose them. But in this case, maybe I'll see you in Paris and we can settle this like men. :D

cool 2 hate 681
08-15-2011, 02:11 PM
i have seen both live and prefer the original

also here are videos of gone away on piano with the full band they did this on the first few shows of the 2009 tour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir2gHVE-IVo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHvnY9OfbaQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCtatXdWXUo

Jason_Voorhees
08-17-2011, 11:06 PM
I saw them live in 2000 and 2010, the first show they played the original and it was good, then in 2010 they played the piano version, I prefer the original.