PDA

View Full Version : The Forums - Rise and Fall,Rage and Grace: Covered By Us

_Lost_
05-18-2009, 09:46 AM
Here it is, what you've all been waiting for! Sorry it took me so long. I was doing some remixing.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RR1IC0T1

Warning: Its a 130 MB file with all of the artwork.

I've also uploaded an "album only" version which is a mere 90 MBs.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7VBYC7BD

I never thought this would actually go to completion and I'm so glad it did.

I would like to encourage everyone who is going to see the offspring this year to print out the book and make a cd to take with them to the show in the hopes of being able to hand a copy over to them.

bighead384
05-18-2009, 10:00 AM
Who were the performers for each song?

drummerbecca
05-18-2009, 10:00 AM
Excellent! I'm downloading it now. It's probably going to take days on this connection but I'm prepared to wait. I haven't been able to view any of the artwork for some reason, so I'm looking forward to seeing it.
I'd just like to say well done to everyone involved though. It took a lot of work to get this finished so, er...

Well Done!!

:D

Llamas
05-18-2009, 10:01 AM
Hooray!!! *downloading*

drummerbecca
05-18-2009, 10:01 AM
Who were the performers for each song?

It's in the booklet

bighead384
05-18-2009, 10:04 AM
It's in the booklet

Oh, I think I just downloaded the songs. Could someone copy/paste it so I don't have to download the whole thing again?

drummerbecca
05-18-2009, 10:12 AM
Oh, I think I just downloaded the songs. Could someone copy/paste it so I don't have to download the whole thing again?

I'll try copying it from the artwork for you when I've downloaded everything. Someone else may be able to do it a bit quicker for you though. My connection is shit. If not then I'll send it to you when I get it :)

Superdope
05-18-2009, 10:14 AM
We are all awesome

Llamas
05-18-2009, 10:26 AM
The vox are majorly not lined up right in yggfk :( And why am I so muffled?? :(

Rutegard
05-18-2009, 10:42 AM
nice work guys!!

it's one hell of a lovely shit you got there :D

_Lost_
05-18-2009, 10:47 AM
The vox are majorly not lined up right in yggfk :( And why am I so muffled?? :(

i did my damndest with those tracks brianna. its so muffled because i was trying to cut out some of the treble so it would peak so bad. it was not a good track. sorry.

oh and bighead:
http://data.tijsvl.net/files/booklet.html

so you don't have to download it you can look at it here.

Free?
05-18-2009, 11:03 AM
Woohoo! Finally my life is complete! :D
Downloading it right now, will post a review later. I'm glad this epic project has been finished, now let's see what we've got here... =]

oh and Bipolar bear:
http://data.tijsvl.net/files/booklet.html

so you don't have to download it you can look at it here.

L-O-L. Bipolar.
haha.
:D

Omni
05-18-2009, 11:04 AM
Downloading now, can't wait to hear it. You guys should do Splinter, now, and work your way through the whole catalogue. or at least until you get bored.

ad8
05-18-2009, 11:35 AM
Alright, I just listened through the album and it's amazing. The fact that cooperation over the internet can result in such an awesome result is stunning.

FellDrake
05-18-2009, 11:43 AM
Well, I have to say I'm positively surprised. I think this is the first time that I see such a "community project" being actually finished.
Sure, the songs are far away from perfect, but regarding the fact that we're all semi-professionals at most it worked out pretty good IMO.
Would be a shame if The Offspring didn't get a copy of it. Did somebody already PM Dexter the link? Or maybe if that doesn't work someone could contact the webmaster to arrange something...

(oh and @ _Lost_: A bit normalizing on the whole CD wouldn't have hurt - nearly blew my ears off as Trust In you followed Half-Truism ;))

_Lost_
05-18-2009, 11:53 AM
(oh and @ _Lost_: A bit normalizing on the whole CD wouldn't have hurt - nearly blew my ears off as Trust In you followed Half-Truism ;))

yeah i know. like 3 of the songs are waaay louder than the others. scared the crap out of me. couldn't figure out how to fix it.

Omni
05-18-2009, 12:07 PM
If you wanted, I could call Dre or Kanye up and get one of them to re-mix and produce the whole thing. It's no big, really.

Outerspaceman21
05-18-2009, 12:22 PM
Not bad. I'm satisfied. I want to help on the next one.

Ryder1234
05-18-2009, 01:27 PM
Woo! Can't wait to listen to them all. I've only heard like 4 that I didn't help with.

Also, I'm gonna say megaupload has greatly improved. No more waiting for non-registered user downloads, they're just slower than premium.

Free?
05-18-2009, 02:01 PM
I fucking love you people!

One of my favorite things about the album is that it's so fresh. They are all old songs, but each and every of them is special and different from originals. It's like eating M&Ms with 13 different flavors. On some songs "the internet-recording" is noticeable, plus some songs being louder than the rest - all of that is called DIY and that's awesome!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Half-Truism. Holy fuck it's epic! Vocals changes give it even more anthemic vibe. The vocalists switch quite often so it's getting hard to tell when it's whose line. "Hey, that's Randy's voice", "Hey, that's Lost singin", "hey, that's llamas' "al[AI]ve", "Is it Becca's part?" FellDrake's instrumental is flawless. Very powerful start for an album!

2. Trust In You. So that's Raptor's buzzy guitar gives you a warning shot and after few seconds along with Karin's vocals song starts to attack your ears. ;] Backing vocals are great, post-chorus riff is explosive, the drums are kickin and the solo part is intense!

3. YGGFK. Stylie's guitar starts off and a second later we can hear princess llamas singing with a bag on her head. Naturally she sounds sad as always and asks to take the bag off. Lost supports her in choruses making me easier to hold my tears. How anyone can resist such cuteness?!

4. Hammerhead. It was the first cover. Infact this cover started the whole covering thing. So there are some offsyncs but I'm assuring you that after few listens you'll love them.

5.A Lot Like Me. Well, it's not a lot like A Lot Like Me. It's a perfect example of how songs should be covered. Dexter really should hear this. I love the way every instrument and vocal line are edited and blended.

6.Takes Me Nowhere. Hey, the buzzy guitar, Raptor is that you again? Yes that's him. And who's that happy voice? Don't tell me, it couldn't be... It's llamas got rid off the bag and now is singing her high "A"s pretty often. Shit I hear her voice from separate speakers. She's everywhere! Really good vox and editing here! Drums are good! A special recognition and congratulations to Brianna for her first happy song eva.

7.Kristy. Hey, that's Tim rocking the stage now. This cover tells you: "If you're not familiar with Static Martyr you've missed a lot mate". Tim did a lot of work on this album, like half of drums and bass lines, so finally he gets his own song to perform.

8. Nothingtown. Very charmy and lovely. Along with brothadave's cover Lost and Ryder did a wonderful relaxing version of Nothingtown which is a great chill song. Fits in album very nice.

9. Stuff Is Messed Up. Cuute drums. Lovely guitar (which is quite different from original)<3. What a vocals! Lilly did amazing job, Tim's nitro-part was pure win :D. Overall this is one of my favorites, you've made a really cocky cover of a really cocky song! This cover is also kinda jammy and funky <3. Another example of great covermaking!

10. Fix You. Amazing. :O Nuff said.

11. Rock Bottom. This cover is probably the closest sounding to original. Like really. Drums are great, Randy pulls off nice vocals, guitar is damn good as well. Verry close to the original.

12. Rise And Fall. Superdope's sludgy guitar is very different from what we're used to hear in the original RAF, bass is kinda a bit too loud, vocals are jazzy, but my favorite part is the solo! Fuck <3 <3 <3 Fuckenfuck! "And I don't want to say, you've lost controooool!" Woo! =D

13. O.C. Life. Like Rock Bottom, it's kicks off as a really close to the original song until elegant Karin's vocals bring the cover some different perspective to look from. Very solid. Also ironically the O.C. Life - cover fits the Forums' album much better than Offspring's O.C. Life fits RAFRAG. :P

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
To sum it up. This album has lots of stuff to dig. It's gonna grow on you with each time sounding better and better.

You guys did an amazing job. The project was epic by many means, it's been a great pleasure to hang around. The fact that we DID it shouldn't be overlooked (HA!, coneman ;P), seriously though, it took a lot more effort than you ppl imagine. I'm sure that project strengthened the community and made some of us know each other better. God, I'm awesome for starting that thread, Woo! =D

Karin, Tim, Randy, Kevin, Brianna, Lilly, Becca, Rok, Thomas, Patrick, Stale, Adriann, Markku and Marta, Gustavo, Tijs, Sofie, Bella, Pete , I feel proud and honored to do something together with you guys! <3

Dexter and the team, you guys totally have to listen to this stuff!

P.S.: Be sure to check the booklet as it has tons of work as well and hopefully artworks will make you know better RAFRAG songs.

FellDrake
05-18-2009, 02:17 PM
I you post it here again, so will I, to keep it complete ;)

Karin, Tim, Randy, Kevin, Brianna, Lilly, Becca, Rok, Thomas, Patrick, Stale, Adriann, Markku and Marta, Gustavo, Tijs, Sofie, Bella, Pete , I feel proud and honored to do something together with you guys! <3

Not to forget Andrei a.k.a. Free? for the great work on the booklet! Kudos also to you :)

Ryder1234
05-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Wow, I love every song. I only skipped Nothingtown because I hate how my guitar truned out in that one.

A question: The artwork in "booklet" pdf are the right size? if I print them as is will they fit in a jewel case?

Great job on the artwork everyone! This was pretty epic to be a part of and its awesome to see it all come together :)

Free?
05-18-2009, 02:31 PM
Yes, Kevin, Tijs made it like that!

Ryder1234
05-18-2009, 02:38 PM
yay!

i know it's too late to put it in the extras folder (or is it..?), but later i'll upload a picture i did based on half truism. it has the guy with the gasmask so we wouldn't have used it i dont think. i couldnt upload it in time but i still will now

Gustavo
05-18-2009, 02:53 PM
I'm just going to copy what I said in the GOD section. lol

Whoa! It is so good to see that thw whole thing is done now! :)
Though I didn't help much, I am really glad to be a little part of it all!
I'm downloading the album now and can't wait to hear it!
I'm sorry, but I just can't put it into words how much I feel honoured to be involved and how proud I am of each and everyone of you who spent your respective precious time to support this little project of ours!

Anyways, congrats to all those who supported this project and made it happen!

Andrei, Karin, Tim, Randy, Kevin, Brianna, Lilly, Becca, Rok, Thomas, Patrick, Stale, Adriann, Markku, Marta, Tijs, Sofie, Bella, Pete ... you guys da shit! (Though I don't really know some of you. lol)

Now, next step, Smash! Can't wait to do the vocals for Genocide on this one! ;)

<3<3<3<3<3

EDIT: Karin, will you release an instrumental version of the album? :D

Llamas
05-18-2009, 04:39 PM
I'm gonna try to remix yggfk... I don't have karin's harmonies, but I'll post it here when I'm done and if you guys like it, maybe we can change it up. I has more time now :)

Llamas
05-18-2009, 05:19 PM
I'm now listening to the whole thing, and gonna do my typical review...

1. Half Truism
I've already listened this to death, but I still think it's cool. I like how we all shared the vocals... split up really part (edit: I have no idea what the hell that was supposed to mean...), and the bridge sounds sweet. This is probably the best-mixed song on the album, too.

2. Trust in You
I've also listened this to death since it was on the mix tape. It's definitely too loud, and the timing is a bit off, but it sounds good overall. :) The vocal harmonies are sweet.

3. You're Gonna Go Far, Kid
Yeah, I'm super unhappy with how my vocals sound here... but I like the rest fine. I thought the timing in the song was hard to work with, but the sound is nice.

4. Hammerhead
I dig the intro of this a lot... it has a really nice clean sound. Timing is messed up quite a bit when the drums come in, and there are some discrepancies throughout the song, but I think I remember seeing that this is the first one done, so there's definitely some slack to be cut. :)

5. A Lot Like Me
Overall it's too muffled... Static Martyr sounds so much like Dexter (only even a little better cause you're less nasally than Dexter is in this song!) It's awesome! So far, besides Half Truism, this is my favorite! The vox play well off each other, the piano sounds clean, the timing/tempo is steady, and overall just nice instrument work.

6. Takes Me Nowhere
I thought this had some of the best instrumental work... Stylie's work with the guitar part was so awesome, and ad8's bass/drums were really steady and well performed. The only thing is that the booklet says Lost did background vocals for it, but I totally don't hear any from her. Was she supposed to, and I didn't realize it and recorded them myself? Whoops!

7. Kristy, Are You Okay?
This is my least favorite song on the album, but I like this version! It's so much less cheesy and whiny sounding. A lot of peaking going on, but it sounds great! I like how the chorus was totally beefed up! :) Good shit.

8. Nothingtown
Acoustic version! Coolness. Super cute... I dig it.

9. Stuff is Messed Up
Very poorly balanced... I can't hear the vocals :( And I really wish I could cause it sounds like les paul girl has a super cool voice! I really like this one. Again, the vocal parts play off each other really well!

10. Fix You
Shit, I just realized I never got the piano part for this sent over... oh well. I'm not big on this song normally, and it's alright here. Probably not one of my favorites still, but it sounds nice. Very soothing. Also, the synth part needed to be a slower frequency. It's clearly not set to the same speed as the rest of the song.

11. Let's Hear it for Rock Bottom
Oh god, this is so good. Another song I don't normally like much, but is great here! This is probably equally high quality sounding as Half Truism. Good work!

12. Rise and Fall
I generally just don't like this song... I like Les Paul Girl's voice a lot, though.

Wow. Overall, I'm really impressed! Best tracks are Half Truism, A Lot Like Me, Takes Me Nowhere, Kristy, and Rock Bottom! Group five, everyone!

Ryder1234
05-18-2009, 11:07 PM
the pdf files say they're broken... anyone want to pm me the artwork in jpegs or something?

Free?
05-19-2009, 02:43 AM
6. Takes Me Nowhere
I thought this had some of the best instrumental work... Stylie's work with the guitar part was so awesome, and ad8's bass/drums were really steady and well performed. The only thing is that the booklet says Lost did background vocals for it, but I totally don't hear any from her. Was she supposed to, and I didn't realize it and recorded them myself? Whoops!

Booklet also says it's Raptor's guitar. ;P

the pdf files say they're broken... anyone want to pm me the artwork in jpegs or something?

The pdf is fine. It's either your Adobe Reader doesn't work properly or isn't updated or there was a glitch during download.
We don't have the jpeg-booklet, all the artworks and stuff aren't formated to the CD jewel case size.

Jesus
05-19-2009, 07:44 AM
9. Stuff is Messed Up
Very poorly balanced... I can't hear the vocals :( And I really wish I could cause it sounds like les paul girl has a super cool voice! I really like this one. Again, the vocal parts play off each other really well!

the vocals sound just fine in that one for me

Llamas
05-19-2009, 11:21 AM
Booklet also says it's Raptor's guitar. ;P
Shit I totally meant Raptor... I have no idea why I said Stylie.

the vocals sound just fine in that one for me
Huh, maybe it's cause I listened to it on my laptop speakers... but it was the only song that was like that for me. I'll listen on good speakers later.

Static_Martyr
05-23-2009, 12:53 PM
Wow, how have I not noticed this topic yet?!

In any case, I'm listening to it now. I'll give my thoughts on it later. Although I have to say, I think the song I performed the worst on was actually Kristy....that was back when we were still using Drum Machine to do drums, and so they sound like shit. Also, the whole thing's in mono, and the treble on the guitars is murder (and there are no lows to speak of). The good news is, I'll be recording another, much better-quality version for a separate project (GANM-related), and so maybe one day we'll get to hear what a non-shitty version sounds like!

Ah, well, ya live and ya learn. Working on this project (and hearing how people worked on the tracks I submitted) probably taught me more about mixing and syncing than any other thing I've done since I started recording stuff. So I'm quite glad that we were able to pull it off....and on top of that, I'm surprised that so many people actually stuck through the whole thing :D

Rooster
05-23-2009, 02:29 PM
Shit I totally meant Raptor... I have no idea why I said Stylie.

Hehe, don't worry, everyone makes mistakes :D

Anyway, thanks for compliments :)

It was fun to be a part of this project, and as i said in GOD thread i would be happy to participate in other album covers too, it's just that i'm more and more busy lately, partly because of my university exams, but my band takes an enormous part of my time also...It's good that all members are taking this band very seriously.