PDA

View Full Version : haiii class of 2009

Rag Doll
05-20-2009, 05:50 AM
so, i know we have at least some new college grads here (myself included) and maybe some high school grads as well. congrats!!

what are you all going to do? are you happy? are you sad? for those of you who already graduated, how do you feel about it looking back? and those who will be graduating....are you dreading it or excited?

i graduated yesterday from college after five long years. i have a bachelors (do you know what that is?! ;p) in political science and another in women's studies. graduated summa cum laude (meaning, my gpa was better than yours), won a shit load of awards, and did some other nifty stuff. and i'm still TERRIFIED.

i'm planning to get a full time "big girl" job this fall. i was thinking maybe casework for sexual assault victims or battered women. or maybe some other non-profit or government job. if all else fails, i'll just be a receptionist for a year (which i really dont wanna do). and then in fall of 2010 i'm hoping to start grad school somewhere.

but i keep reading articles about how the class of 2009 is severely fucked because the job market is so bad. and that is making getting into grad school even more competitive. i'm so scared i put all this work into having this awesome academic resume and i won't be able to do *anything* with it. so as happy as i am to finally be done with college (i loved my professors and my friends, but the school itself was a load of bullshit most of the time), i'm still so scared to be done and kind of wish i had one more year.

SweetTatyana
05-20-2009, 08:29 AM
Hey Ragdoll,

Yeah I am kind of in the same boat, I just graduated deans list but the funny thing is that jobs in my field actually paid $5 less an hour than my personal training job does, so I just stuck with it. One prof who I did my thesis with said I could join her lab but it was such little pay that working full time would earn me like $500/wk! So yeah I agree it kind of sucks right now but I'm also looking forward to starting my masters :)

Llamas
05-20-2009, 10:46 AM
I graduate at the end of summer... I'm trying not to be depressed about being done with school. In August, I'm off to the Czech Republic to use my minor and go teach English. Hopefully one day I'll use my major. :P (My BA is in German studies, my minor is in Teaching English as a Second Language.)

That's awesome that you wanna go to grad school, Sam. I'd like to do that, as well, but it's gonna be hard for me because my GPA is fucked from my years as a biology major. This semester gave me a much higher GPA than ever before, but my cummulative is below a 3.0, which grad schools will not like. So we'll see if that ever happens. :-/

It IS such a bad time to graduate... that's part of why it's a good time for me to go teach English abroad. There are always teaching jobs, because they're less affected by economy than most jobs.

I wish you luck finding a "big girl" job, and congrats of course!

T-6005
05-20-2009, 12:05 PM
I should have graduated this year.

One more year for me, though. Hate university administrations.

Tizzalicious
05-20-2009, 12:27 PM
God I feel sorry for everyone who is looking for a job these days. I have several friends who are working crappy jobs they didn't study for (and which don't really need any studying) because they can't find anything in their field. Sucky.

IamSam
05-20-2009, 12:34 PM
I graduated! BA in History Education. I do my student teaching in the fall, substitute in the spring, then look for my first job next fall. I'm actually looking forward to it.

Rag Doll
05-20-2009, 12:37 PM
I graduated! BA in History Education. I do my student teaching in the fall, substitute in the spring, then look for my first job next fall. I'm actually looking forward to it.

You can do student teaching after you graduate??

NJ has ridiculous requirements for teaching certifications. that's why i didn't do one =\. it'd add 1-2 years onto when i graduate. *sigh*

findout5
05-20-2009, 01:25 PM
I graduated... 8 years ago. " I was a young boy that had big plans, now I'm just another shitty old man..."

Cock Joke
05-20-2009, 03:13 PM
My friends graduate college in two days!

Bazza
05-20-2009, 03:47 PM
Wow I fit into this boat. I've just finished my Masters degree in Chemistry. Now I have the horrible task of deciding what to do in life. Fortunately there is good funding for Phd studies in chemistry in the UK. So I am thinking that this is my best option. In fact I am actually going to try and get this sorted out this week.

But I certainaly feel for anyone who has reached the end of their education and doesn't know what to do. It's a cruel world out there and leaving the comforting busom of university education can definitely be a shock to the system.

Apathy
05-20-2009, 09:28 PM
I graduate in a few weeks. High school that is. Perhaps the job market will be on the rebound by the time I get through college. Doubtful, but one can always hope for the best.

IamSam
05-20-2009, 09:52 PM
You can do student teaching after you graduate??

NJ has ridiculous requirements for teaching certifications. that's why i didn't do one =\. it'd add 1-2 years onto when i graduate. *sigh*

Yeah. They hold your diploma in escrow, but you are still graduated.

Homer
05-20-2009, 09:55 PM
FUK SKEWL

:cool:

XYlophonetreeZ
05-20-2009, 10:24 PM
my GPA is fucked from my years as a biology major. This semester gave me a much higher GPA than ever before, but my cummulative is below a 3.0, which grad schools will not like. So we'll see if that ever happens. :-/!
I'm in a similar boat... except I stuck with my biology major. I actually really liked it after I got past the weedout classes, and I did have a GPA over 3.0 for my last two years, which some grad schools actually look at more than your overall GPA. I got really tired of everyone assuming I was pre-med though. I also get tired of the fact that for bio majors who aren't pre-med, there aren't a heck of a lot of well-paying jobs out there. The good news is there's a lot of biological research jobs in the stimulus package. I'm about to start a job as a research assistant next week and am gonna stick with that for about a year so I can save up some money to travel and hopefully do some field work somewhere cool. Then I'll probably go to grad school. No idea where yet though. I haven't even taken the GRE yet.

God I feel sorry for everyone who is looking for a job these days. I have several friends who are working crappy jobs they didn't study for (and which don't really need any studying) because they can't find anything in their field. Sucky.
I actually LOVE looking for a job in this economy for this very reason. I've been looking now for several months (I graduated in December of '08) and I hate looking for jobs anyway, but now, people at least feel sorry for me! If it took me this long to find a job in normal conditions then everyone would think I was a bum and be all "Na-na why don't you get a JOBZORZ!" (oh no i di'n't). That, plus I've had a pretty decent temp job for the past few months, though it has nothing to do with my career interests.