PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin's state motto is "Forward"

Llamas
05-27-2009, 11:12 AM
Seems like Georgia's should be the opposite.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/magazine/24prom-t.html

I'd heard that this still happened in parts of Georgia, but that was like 10 years ago. I had no idea this was still a reality. How on earth can anyone be okay with this??

"When the actor Morgan Freeman offered to pay for last year’s first-of-its-kind integrated prom at Charleston High School in Mississippi, his home state, the idea was quickly embraced by students — and rejected by a group of white parents, who held a competing “private” prom."

What. The. Fuck.

Also,

"Principal Luke Smith says the school has no plans to sponsor a prom, noting that when it did so in 1995, attendance was poor."

Ahh, so attendance is so much more important than equality. Right. I'm gonna go cut someone now.

PS: why don't black people ever smile??!! omg omg ;)

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
05-27-2009, 03:33 PM
that is so 1800's
i wonder if they let Hispanics in
i think that is unconstitutional, so i think the u.s. should do something about it

Llamas
05-27-2009, 03:39 PM
They get away with it because it's not associated with the school. It's private, so I guess the government can't do anything about it.

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
05-27-2009, 03:46 PM
ohhhhhhhh
too bad nobody can do anything about it
sucks not being white

WebDudette
05-27-2009, 04:19 PM
If both parties agree, I don't see a problem.

Llamas
05-27-2009, 04:22 PM
If you read the article, clearly not everyone agrees at all.

IamSam
05-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Then again, forward would be fitting. As in "forward with our racism." Progress is one thing, moving forward with progress is another.