PDA

View Full Version : The 2009 set list sucks

one hundred punks
06-03-2009, 11:06 PM
Ok, yeah, I know if I don't like it don't go. I realize they could play 2.5 hours and there will still be songs that people wanted that didn't get played. Every time people bitch about the set list ,the response is "Well, maybe they don't wanna play the old songs, they played them 15-20 years ago" That's great, my first Offspring show was 95 and but the majority of fans today weren't there back then and they especially weren't around 5 years before. They definitely weren't getting a few thousand people per show during the Ignition days like they do now.

Is it asking too much to play something different from Americana or Ixnay? Nobody is expecting them to bust out Session,Kick Him When He's Down or Jennifer Lost The War. (though that would be great)

The people who are still attending Offspring shows in 2009 most likely have all the albums. It isn't like these are some hard to come by,out of print,underground CD's that nobody has.

IMO,it doesn't make you less of a fan to want something different. I still enjoy my albums but unless they start mixing it up a bit, I think I will have to sit this tour out. The Offspring will always be one of my top bands but there is no added incentive to see them live without a drastic set list change.

It boils down to ,IMO them not wanting to learn additional songs. A lot of the catalog are fast 3-4 minute songs, not exactly complex Dream Theater type arrangements. They should have like 30 songs at least to choose from and be able to bust them out at a moments notice.

I don't buy this whole "It kills the momentum of the show" argument. It would only kill the show if they were playing an obscure b-side that hardly anyone has ever heard (though in this day and age of the Internet that would be hard to do)

Feel free to respond with some witty form of "FUCK U,U R NOT A TRUE FAN,OFFSPRING RULZ U R TEH SUXORZ1111!!" instead of typing a well thought out,intelligent response.

Outerspaceman21
06-03-2009, 11:25 PM
I remember Dexter was asked a similar question on Loveline. He said his reason is that, when it comes to that, the people who want the older stuff are in the minority and everyone else, not familar with much of their older cateloge, will be in the dark, having no clue what they are playing.

Tomasisko
06-03-2009, 11:57 PM
agree, they definitely should play at least 4-5 songs from first two albums. Fuck the others who don't know or don't like The Offspring's earlier stuff.

Oxygene
06-04-2009, 12:27 AM
This is lame, it's been said 5 times before.. delete this thread it's pointless and an inch away from spam.

one hundred punks
06-04-2009, 12:30 AM
This is lame, it's been said 5 times before.. delete this thread it's pointless and an inch away from spam.

No,it isn't lame. When I have seen threads about the set list they do not list all the points I have. How is is spam? Of course you couldn't counter my argument. Last I checked this was a PUNK RAWK discussion forum not the Offspring worship center. Not very punk to cry for the closing of a thread that you don't like is it?

If the Mods don't like it they can merge it with another thread.

hshduppsnt
06-04-2009, 01:11 AM
No,it isn't lame. When I have seen threads about the set list they do not list all the points I have. How is is spam? Of course you couldn't counter my argument. Last I checked this was a PUNK RAWK discussion forum not the Offspring worship center. Not very punk to cry for the closing of a thread that you don't like is it?

actually it is spam since there is already a thread on this.
and one of the things that make offspring shows so great is the massive sing along they get, and you dont get that with really old songs, dexter is right about that. I'm not going to get into punk or whatnot but at the end of the day its about what they want to play live. Sure I'll request something I want or hope for something else but at the end of the day thats what it is and it is still fun to go listen to them play these songs

ad8
06-04-2009, 01:33 AM
I'd also welcome some changes in the setlists. I accept the fact that they want to play their most popular songs on festivals since people went to festival because of other bands and don't really know The Offspring. But it's a different thing on their own tour, imo.

Dexter_italy
06-04-2009, 01:45 AM
I'm sure that on their own shows they'll mix up more songs (not many but still).
We'll see some mota, smash, burn it up, beheaded, genocide, spare me the details. I think. I personally would like to hear no brakes and crossroads live, but I know they aren't gonna play them. The point is that they can't remeber 40 songs to mix up during a tour. And Pete doesn't know the old stuff. They rehearsed with atom some old shit, they should have done it again with Pete. I remember that pic with all the songs they where rehearsing and there was some serious stuff!

Edit: anyway this thread could be closed....we're really talking too much about this set list. They are putting on some really kick ass show...just let'em be!

Oxygene
06-04-2009, 02:23 AM

You didn't wanna go there!

Ok, yeah, I know if I don't like it don't go. I realize they could play 2.5 hours and there will still be songs that people wanted that didn't get played. Every time people bitch about the set list ,the response is "Well, maybe they don't wanna play the old songs, they played them 15-20 years ago" That's great, my first Offspring show was 95 and but the majority of fans today weren't there back then and they especially weren't around 5 years before. They definitely weren't getting a few thousand people per show during the Ignition days like they do now.

How many people they were getting per show is completley immaterial. You play the same chords if your alone or if you are playing for 1 million people. If they got tired and bored of playing it, it had zero to do with the size of the crowds Sherlock!

Is it asking too much to play something different from Americana or Ixnay? Nobody is expecting them to bust out Session,Kick Him When He's Down or Jennifer Lost The War. (though that would be great)

I've heard them play session, kick him when he's down, beheaded all at least 2-3 times in the post americana era. If you wanna hear them go to the shows they play them at.. or wait start a whining bitching thread on their BBS that is so PUNK RAWK!

The people who are still attending Offspring shows in 2009 most likely have all the albums. It isn't like these are some hard to come by,out of print,underground CD's that nobody has.

First: that's just stupid and not true
Second: in the days of the interwebz it's not about being out of print it's about a) the band being tiered of playing those songs, and b) the crowd not reacting well to it.

I'd rather they play songs they enjoy playing, but of course I have respect for the band, because I like them. Although I can see where some whiney bitchy pissy emo kid would rather treat the band as musical clowns and think of them in such a way.

IMO,it doesn't make you less of a fan to want something different. I still enjoy my albums but unless they start mixing it up a bit, I think I will have to sit this tour out. The Offspring will always be one of my top bands but there is no added incentive to see them live without a drastic set list change.

No you are right, it doesn't make you less of a fan to want something different, it makes you less of a fan to want something that's against the bands resonable best interest. Something they just wouldn't enjoy. It also makes you less of a fan to sit the tour out, but hey... who cares?

IIt boils down to ,IMO them not wanting to learn additional songs. A lot of the catalog are fast 3-4 minute songs, not exactly complex Dream Theater type arrangements. They should have like 30 songs at least to choose from and be able to bust them out at a moments notice.

Oh man I'd rather even not address this, seeing as to how they had like 30 vault songs on their last full US tour. Pure BULLSHIT!

I don't buy this whole "It kills the momentum of the show" argument. It would only kill the show if they were playing an obscure b-side that hardly anyone has ever heard (though in this day and age of the Internet that would be hard to do)

It's nice that you aren't buying it, but they aren't selling it so... There's more than one layer to this issue Einstein, kills the momentum is one thing, like I said they played some of those songs for like 10 years and they just would rather play new ones, and they also have to play for a set of fans, that aren't as hardcore as some of us here. They cater to a wide audience and that's the nature of the beast, they do play obscure and rare songs and small club shows which are hard to get into and cater to hard core fans. You can get your dose of rarities and shit there, if you're willing to make the sacrafice to go. If you don't.. you don't deserve it anyway. It's a beautiful self regulating system :)

Feel free to respond with some witty form of "FUCK U,U R NOT A TRUE FAN,OFFSPRING RULZ U R TEH SUXORZ1111!!" instead of typing a well thought out,intelligent response.

FUCK U,U R NOT A TRUE FAN,OFFSPRING RULZ U R TEH SUXORZ1111!!

Again: spam. Needs to be closed, deleted merged whatever the fuck.. I'm tiered of this mindless bullshit

slagod
06-04-2009, 02:40 AM
Guys, I tried to read what you'd written and affirm that too much
threads about set lists is too bad. But I think it should exist one thread
about it, so let moderator just merge them :)

I think here on BBS we allow to praise and also to complain about
our favourite band :D

Free?
06-04-2009, 02:54 AM
I think the problem is that as ohp said - they have ways too much of great stuff and they are limited with time frame of a show. So, naturally, they play the obligatory hits that are most welcome and known by every crowd because if they wouldn't play any of those, there will be loads of disappointments as well, as from the tru-fans or from random folk who came to the show to hear Self-Esteem, Pretty Fly, TKAA and COAP.

But I totally support the idea of varying songs in menu more. It was just a lot easier before because with each new album there come few songs that HAVE to be played on every show.

one hundred punks
06-04-2009, 03:06 AM
If you honestly think that the few thousand people who come to an Offspring (headlining) show in 2009 and pay close to $50 bucks a ticket are "casual fans" then I don't know what to tell you. Again, I think it comes down to an unwillingness to learn old songs again. They get hundreds of thousands of dollars per show. I don't think it is asking too much to learn some older songs.If they are tired of the really old songs like Kick,Jennifer,etc. then they must be equally as tired of playing COAP,TKAA,etc.

I don't care if not everyone knows all the songs.Maybe hearing them live will inspire said fans to actually go out and purchase the old albums.

Take Rancid for example. Here is a band that is similar in age and musical style to Offspring. They play a different show every night to keep it fresh for themselves and the fans.

Oxygene
06-04-2009, 03:09 AM
Guys, I tried to read what you'd written and affirm that too much
threads about set lists is too bad. But I think it should exist one thread
about it, so let moderator just merge them :)

I think here on BBS we allow to praise and also to complain about
our favourite band :D

Yeah we are allowed to complain, but I think being reasonable should be expected. When they played such a short set in Berlin I asked them, they said the promoter made them rush through it and that's it. What are you gonna do? They don't like those old songs 'cause they've played them so much and the crowed reaction isn't as good as it should be. Fine. End of story.

not WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH I'm gonna boycott the offspring conertz 'cause I'm trupunx emo kid!
Bullshit.

I think the problem is that as ohp said - they have ways too much of great stuff and they are limited with time frame of a show. So, naturally, they play the obligatory hits that are most welcome and known by every crowd because if they wouldn't play any of those, there will be loads of disappointments as well, as from the tru-fans or from random folk who came to the show to hear Self-Esteem, Pretty Fly, TKAA and COAP.

But I totally support the idea of varying songs in menu more. It was just a lot easier before because with each new album there come few songs that HAVE to be played on every show.

Um.. also:
I consider myself a hard core fan, and I know I'd have the urge to kill someone if they left out Self Esteem ie.. so the hits don't just cater to n00bs and trendies..

Free?
06-04-2009, 03:15 AM
I don't think that re-learning how to play the old song is the main problem. I mean I really really really doubt that. But that's just my opinion, we can guess, only the band knows the real reasons.
I've posted the TKAA-COAP thing in my previous post.

Maybe hearing them live will inspire said fans to actually go out and purchase the old albums.
That's a good point.
EDIT:

If you honestly think that the few thousand people who come to an Offspring (headlining) show in 2009 and pay close to $50 bucks a ticket are "casual fans" then I don't know what to tell you.
That's a bad point. Come on, there are always hardcore and casual fans on every show, few thousand ("casual fans") is an exaggerated number.

Oxygene
06-04-2009, 03:17 AM
If you honestly think that the few thousand people who come to an Offspring (headlining) show in 2009 and pay close to $50 bucks a ticket are "casual fans" then I don't know what to tell you.

Let me help, the words you are looking for are "you're right"

Again, I think it comes down to an unwillingness to learn old songs again.

OMFG: they DID LEARN a bunch of old songs for the warped tour, and played them when they played to small crowds etc, they also play them constatly at club shows etc. THEY KNOW HOW TO PLAY THOSE SONGS. How hard is it to understand that? It's about so much more than that with big shows, first they're bored of them, second the crowds don't like them, third they need sooo much prep, led graphics, lights, sound etc.. it's a bitch. So much factors in waaaay before learning the songs it's not even funny. FYI Noodles constantly plays along the old songs to his iPod.

They get hundreds of thousands of dollars per show.

:eek:

I don't think it is asking too much to learn some older songs.If they are tired of the really old songs like Kick,Jennifer,etc. then they must be equally as tired of playing COAP,TKAA,etc.

They played the old songs for 10 years 'cause they had no other songs to play, there wasn't a choice of a huge catalog. TKAA and COAP are different, they had 3-5 albums to choose songs from every time they've gotten onstage to play those.

I don't care if not everyone knows all the songs.Maybe hearing them live will inspire said fans to actually go out and purchase the old albums.

Well it's nice to see such empathy: I don't care about everyone, but the Offspring should care about me only. As for the buy the old albums: it's not a sales pitch dude, it's a rock n roll show.

Take Rancid for example. Here is a band that is similar in age and musical style to Offspring. They play a different show every night to keep it fresh for themselves and the fans.

I bet Rancid has some fans that wouldn't want them to change it around always... how much you wanna bet they're bitching and moaning :)

Tomasisko
06-04-2009, 03:41 AM
You can argue all day about that, but nothing's change that this setlist is not good. No old stuff and only one song from CO1 and Splinter...

RageAndLov
06-04-2009, 04:47 AM
I undertand why Offspring plays the same songs night after night. Not all the people who go to their shows are hardcore fans. I think many who perhaps only have Smash or Americana come in the knowledge of Offspring playing in their country and thinking they would like to hear the hits live.

You didn't wanna go there!

Second: in the days of the interwebz it's not about being out of print it's about a) the band being tiered of playing those songs, and b) the crowd not reacting well to it.

Offspring is tired of playing Pretty Fly, Self Esteem and every other songs they play every night, not the songs they haven't played in 15 years.

findout5
06-04-2009, 05:06 AM
Sometimes I don't think they view themselves as a really known band! Metallica goes out and plays stuff from Kill'Em All all the time! And everyone knows the songs! Green Day used to play stuff from their 1st record all the time too. I think it'd be neat for TO to fucking play at least one song of the ST and Ignition every now and then! And also, change it...don't just play Session and Beheaded!

And another thing, they should do RAFRAG in its entirety...it's a great record! They should show how proud of it they are!

BigFish
06-04-2009, 06:19 AM
The point is that they can't remeber 40 songs to mix up during a tour.

I'm not buying this for a second. They wrote and created all of their songs and should be able to remember them...

I can play every song on the guitar that they've put out pretty much perfectly, so I KNOW they haven't forgotten how to play them.

I do agree in wishing they would mix up the setlist a little more...but they probably won't. They're going to play what makes them money, because sadly that's what the tour is all about. They aren't going on tour to keep us happy, they're doing it so we stay interested and want to keep listening to them. They're a bunch of great guys and I'm not bashing them, but what I'm saying is the truth.

Jojan
06-04-2009, 06:20 AM
I remember Dexter was asked a similar question on Loveline. He said his reason is that, when it comes to that, the people who want the older stuff are in the minority and everyone else, not familar with much of their older cateloge, will be in the dark, having no clue what they are playing.

Stupid democracy. "Majority rule don't work in mental institutions".

Little_Miss_1565
06-04-2009, 06:30 AM
Wow, I can't imagine what it would be like to live life thinking only of what I want and caring not for what would be the best thing to do for other people or for a large group of people. What's it like?

jaum.herrera
06-04-2009, 06:31 AM
I Always talked to my friends.
The Offspring never change the setlist, Was always the same singles that played in the radio.
I Would they change some songs as WDYGJ,Come Out And Play, Starting At The Sun to Leave It Behind, Kick Him When He's Down, Amazed, The Meaning Of Life...

dexterone
06-04-2009, 06:52 AM
I donīt agree,that setlist for 2009 isnīt good....at first,tour is called Shit is fucked up....thatīs a tour for a new album Rise and Fall,and we can be happy,that we have listened to all songs already......
Otherside...yes,I would to see more songs from Igniton for example...but the style on this album is total different as actual stuff.....I think,better fast songs like Meaning of Life,Leave it behind,Hypodermic or Cool to hate than Why donīt you get a job and Pretty fly,that are too boring.....
but however.....Dexter and the rest of a band are the boss,and we canīt change it :)

offspringer24
06-04-2009, 08:03 AM
they have played session probably 10 out of the 12 times ive seen them :confused:

only seen them play beheaded once though :(

on a live cd at leeds cockpit you can hear me screaming for them to play lapd :D

they played nothing else matters and accoustic dirty magic there too

the intermission fat guy in nappies was cool

i got drenched by a fire extinguisher of dexters

bad habbit usually opens the set....but theres a reason for this....its the best opening song ever written

defy you ive heard a couple of times and that wasnt on americana or ixnay

good live....dont know how though lol except at music awards....woeful

so all in all i think they mix it up abit....the actual stage for co1 tour was awesome would like to see more of this kinda thing :p

one hundred punks
06-04-2009, 08:31 AM
Wow, I can't imagine what it would be like to live life thinking only of what I want and caring not for what would be the best thing to do for other people or for a large group of people. What's it like?

Umm over-generalize much? This is a punk bands set list we are talking about not the general well being of fellow humans. Again, explain to me how you think the majority of people seeing the band in 2009 and paying about $50 aren't major fans? In a shitty economy, you think people are gonna drop that much to hear one or two radio songs that they know?

So far, I have seen hardly any convincing arguments just a bunch of defending the band with what some might call blind loyalty.

Outerspaceman21
06-04-2009, 10:10 AM
You can argue all day about that, but nothing's change that this setlist is not good. No old stuff and only one song from CO1 and Splinter...

Seriously, people are getting all bent out of shape over nothing. I'm gonna go to Irvine on friday, hear the same songs I've been listening to all my life and it's gonna be awesome. I honestly really don't care if they don't play any songs from their Self-Titled or Ignition. I love those CD's, but it wont bother me.

Little_Miss_1565
06-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Umm over-generalize much? This is a punk bands set list we are talking about not the general well being of fellow humans. Again, explain to me how you think the majority of people seeing the band in 2009 and paying about $50 aren't major fans? In a shitty economy, you think people are gonna drop that much to hear one or two radio songs that they know?

So far, I have seen hardly any convincing arguments just a bunch of defending the band with what some might call blind loyalty.

No, I would say it's more about completely losing patience for people whining about the same thing time and time again despite the band having addressed it themselves on numerous occasions and it being completely useless to continue bringing it up, unless of course you just want to whinge in which case you shouldn't be surprised if people are tired of hearing about it.

hshduppsnt
06-04-2009, 10:31 AM

I can't generalize but I know on this tour I am taking three people who have never seen the offspring live and definitely want to hear the greatest hits type thing you're complaining about... so how about that?
And look again at the set list, it isn't one or two radio songs that they know, its a lot more, which is why you're complaining in the first place

Thomas
06-04-2009, 10:49 AM
I brought a friend to the Phoenix show who only owns Smash, Splinter, and RafRag, and he was MORE than willing to pay the $50 for the ticket. Even if the audiences WOULD know their first two albums very well, then it's still The Offspring's decision of which songs they want to play. They put on a VERY solid show on monday, playing mostly hits, and I can guaran-fucking-tee you not a single person left that concert disappointed.

Have you ever thought that maybe they think that their post-Smash songs are their best? I know I would be disappointed in myself if I was writing albums that didn't get better over the years. Their writing style has matured SO MUCH since the days of Ignition, and they probably want their shows today to reflect that. I certainly know that I, personally, have a real hard time listening to my own songs from 2-3 years ago because of how much I feel I have progressed. Obviously their albums were never BAD, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they felt that their later albums contain all of their strongest work.

Dexter_italy
06-04-2009, 11:10 AM
I brought a friend to the Phoenix show who only owns Smash, Splinter, and RafRag, and he was MORE than willing to pay the $50 for the ticket. Even if the audiences WOULD know their first two albums very well, then it's still The Offspring's decision of which songs they want to play. They put on a VERY solid show on monday, playing mostly hits, and I can guaran-fucking-tee you not a single person left that concert disappointed.

Have you ever thought that maybe they think that their post-Smash songs are their best? I know I would be disappointed in myself if I was writing albums that didn't get better over the years. Their writing style has matured SO MUCH since the days of Ignition, and they probably want their shows today to reflect that. I certainly know that I, personally, have a real hard time listening to my own songs from 2-3 years ago because of how much I feel I have progressed. Obviously their albums were never BAD, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they felt that their later albums contain all of their strongest work.

No one is pretending them to play tons of old songs, jus vary the set list, this means to play also some other shit from the latest albums, I would enjoy listening to all along, conspiracy of one, never gonna find me, race against myself, no brakes and so on..... I still like listening to pretty fly live because it's a good song and funny to listen and so the others hit but I think no one would complain about a different song in the set list, even someone who goes to see them without knowing them well (and in my opinion if someone goes just to see the offspring he can't be bothered about the songs)

Thomas
06-04-2009, 11:36 AM
I don't think you caught the point of my post at all. I was talking about how it's possible that the band simply doesn't want to play their older songs anymore. They want to show their audiences that they keep progressing forward, and what better way to do that than play mostly newer stuff?

Dexter_italy
06-04-2009, 11:40 AM
I don't think you caught the point of my post at all. I was talking about how it's possible that the band simply doesn't want to play their older songs anymore. They want to show their audiences that they keep progressing forward, and what better way to do that than play mostly newer stuff?

you didn't get mine... they don't play the new stuff, they play always the same new stuff, so it gets old after a year!

GunForHire
06-04-2009, 11:43 AM
This argument is dumb, and it happens with every single long-running band once their back catalog reaches a certain size. Admittedly, I'd love to hear at least one or two of their old school songs like Session or KHWHD but I can understand if they don't play their older tunes because they want to play stuff that pretty much everyone there is going to know.

Oxygene
06-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Plus to me this:

"I know how the bestest band evarrrr can imporove even more"

is thinking a bit too highly of yourself. And arrogant.

one hundred punks
06-04-2009, 02:48 PM
Plus to me this:

"I know how the bestest band evarrrr can imporove even more"

is thinking a bit too highly of yourself. And arrogant.

The Beatles aren't around anymore buddy.

Oxygene
06-05-2009, 12:56 AM
The Beatles aren't around anymore buddy.

You've officially crossed the fine line between spammer to troll...

Is anyone taking notes here?

mota0000
06-05-2009, 02:34 AM
Green Day had the same setlist with American Idiot for 2 years. The Offspring have got nothing on those guys, at least they add an extra song here and there.
What if it were the other way round? What if they stopped playing TKAA or COAP, then people would bitch about that. They cant win, just be happy they're still rocking well into their 40s
Plus, I'm happy cause they played LIGHTNING ROD when I saw them at soundwave!

Little_Miss_1565
06-05-2009, 06:43 AM
You've officially crossed the fine line between spammer to troll...

Is anyone taking notes here?

He's not a spammer or a troll. Just a whiner.

Ninty Man
06-05-2009, 09:00 AM
Green Day had the same setlist with American Idiot for 2 years. The Offspring have got nothing on those guys, at least they add an extra song here and there.
What if it were the other way round? What if they stopped playing TKAA or COAP, then people would bitch about that. They cant win, just be happy they're still rocking well into their 40s
Plus, I'm happy cause they played LIGHTNING ROD when I saw them at soundwave!

I hate you... for not taking video of that

How did it sound?

jacknife737
06-05-2009, 02:31 PM
This isn't original or interesting enough to warrant its own thread; the same goes for the other pointless one that you recently created. The band has standard songs to play; so does every band. You mention Rancid as an example of a band that mixes up their setlists, and i'll admit that on several occasions they do; but on their current tour with Rise Against it's just their typical 'greatest hits' setlist.

Also the '09 Offspring setlist'; we get about 5 new songs everynight; gone away on piano, ect so the band is mixing it up somewhat.

bouncingcoles
06-05-2009, 04:07 PM

i agree........

MAXTER
06-05-2009, 04:09 PM
a lot like me

bouncingcoles
06-05-2009, 04:13 PM
i personally think they misjudge much of what their fan base wants these days. Typically if you go to an offspring show these days MOST of the people there have been around the band for a while rather than random kids who just heard the new single. I can understand playing all the hits at festival shows. im pretty sure dexter and the gang could deal with playing 2 slightly more obscure songs in a 20 something song set list. NIN is a great example of a band that mixes up their set lists.

Ninty Man
06-05-2009, 07:29 PM
i personally think they misjudge much of what their fan base wants these days. Typically if you go to an offspring show these days MOST of the people there have been around the band for a while rather than random kids who just heard the new single. I can understand playing all the hits at festival shows. im pretty sure dexter and the gang could deal with playing 2 slightly more obscure songs in a 20 something song set list. NIN is a great example of a band that mixes up their set lists.

But NIN... you know... is really... fucked up Reznor you know?

RyanSabotage
06-05-2009, 07:44 PM

It boils down to ,IMO them not wanting to learn additional songs. A lot of the catalog are fast 3-4 minute songs, not exactly complex Dream Theater type arrangements. They should have like 30 songs at least to choose from and be able to bust them out at a moments notice.

its about time someone on here see what i see
i want the ignition/ixnay back, damn it

RyanSabotage
06-05-2009, 07:46 PM
not WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH I'm gonna boycott the offspring conertz 'cause I'm trupunx emo kid!
Bullshit.

man, you got that shit twisted
fuck you dude

cool 2 hate 681
06-05-2009, 10:03 PM
maybe the offspring think of the first 2 albums the way bad religion think about no substance and new america:confused:

Llamas
06-05-2009, 10:59 PM
What's a typical set list on this tour? I don't think a lot of people here realize that people tend not to want to play their older stuff because they don't relate to it anymore. I know I don't relate to the music I wrote 8 years ago... self titled was TWENTY years ago. The band probably doesn't relate to those feelings anymore, and probably doesn't connect to those songs as well. They keep singles in for the non-fans, play several off the newest album, and then throw a couple others in there. Pretty typical. I'd rather hear Pay the Man than Pretty Fly, and I'd rather hear Forever and a Day than Want You Bad, but so? I'm in the MINORITY at the show who feels that way. I know enough people who like Offspring enough to go see them who don't own the first two albums. And I'd never have anyone to go to their shows with they didn't play hits... most of my friends like their singles but have never bought an album. They wouldn't have any fun if the band played more "obscure" songs.

Oxygene
06-06-2009, 01:03 AM
man, you got that shit twisted
fuck you dude

I won't even bother calling you a clueless n00b

bouncingcoles
06-06-2009, 06:34 AM
But NIN... you know... is really... fucked up Reznor you know?

uh i dont see what your trying to say. Bad religion is another band that mix up their set lists.

Llamas
06-06-2009, 10:58 AM
But it kind of saddens me that we all seem to be considering Ixnay "too old to be relevant to the band anymore". I mean, really? We're considering 1997 and 1998 "old stuff" now?
Are you trying to say that 12 years isn't old? Really? 12 years is more than a decade... that's old.

Like, I don't want to keep arguing the point, and I'm certainly not bitching the same way the "let's hear some Ignition!" people are. But it just seems that a lot of people would really appreciate something from Ixnay or Americana, even Co1 I guess, at say one-out-of-every-five shows. It can't be that difficult, and one or two older tunes every now and again will hardly throw off the setlist.

Just, like yeah. Throw in a "Million Miles Away" or something once in a while. Y'know? No sane person is begging for "Elders", here.
Ixnay and Americana ARE old... co1 is borderline, but the big thing about that album is that it was very clear that the band never really felt proud of that album like they have with others. They weren't especially happy with it, so I wouldn't expect them to play songs off it live.

b0red
06-06-2009, 03:13 PM
Just because you are a serious fan of the band doesn't mean everyone else is.
Not everyone knows every single song they have ever done. Lots of people only just know the singles. They have had a LOT of hits, so some people think that's all they need to know by them.
Like with any other band.

They play their big hits, maybe some other stuff, and that is that.
It sucks, but it's what happens. Again, like with any other band.

I met probably just as many people, if not more, who were only there because they liked some of their singles and thought it would be fun versus those who are die-hards.

In these "modern" times, we aren't allowed time to appreciate musicians beyond their singles because the next big thing comes out a week later and we are supposed to worship them for a week then move on, and so on.

While the set list is basically just a "Greatest Hits: LIVE in Concert" situation... it's expected. Especially given their number of hits and how big those hits are/were. And given their number of years around.

But I still can do without Pretty Fly.
Ever existing, really.

dff_punk
06-06-2009, 03:14 PM
But I still can do without Pretty Fly.
Ever existing, really.

If Pretty Fly never existed, this BBS would lose half its population.

brothadave79
06-06-2009, 03:23 PM
If Pretty Fly never existed, this BBS would lose half its population.

Truth. But at this point, it should go into retirement. It had a good run - built for speed, not longevity.

b0red
06-06-2009, 03:37 PM
haha probably.
But I personally hated it. Still do really. Idk why; it just bugs the shit out of me.

Llamas
06-06-2009, 09:37 PM
I think what it really comes down to is that the band plays the songs they feel elicit the best fan reaction. Perhaps they are reading the crowd wrong, but that's sort of irrelevant; as the band itself, the members need to get THEIR desired reaction in order to have fun with their shows and give their best performances.

Also, the fans say "oh, we just want ONE song! JUST ONE!" But then, you just know that if the band busted out a different song once, the fans would say "but not THAT one!!" or "I don't see why they can play Denial live, but they never play End of the Line!!" It'd just never end.

IamSam
06-07-2009, 12:33 AM
You know what would make the set lists actually suck? If the band retired.

[/thread]

Oxygene
06-07-2009, 04:39 AM
I think what it really comes down to is that the band plays the songs they feel elicit the best fan reaction. Perhaps they are reading the crowd wrong, but that's sort of irrelevant; as the band itself, the members need to get THEIR desired reaction in order to have fun with their shows and give their best performances.

Also, the fans say "oh, we just want ONE song! JUST ONE!" But then, you just know that if the band busted out a different song once, the fans would say "but not THAT one!!" or "I don't see why they can play Denial live, but they never play End of the Line!!" It'd just never end.

so much wisdom and truth here

almost as if I wrote it

zsk
06-08-2009, 06:01 AM
if they'll not play pretty fly and instead of PF they would play Trut in You and instead of WDYGAJ they would play Kick him when he's down , in wiesbaden
i would be totaly satisfied!

bouncingcoles
06-08-2009, 09:31 AM
they have played session probably 10 out of the 12 times ive seen them :confused:

only seen them play beheaded once though :(

on a live cd at leeds cockpit you can hear me screaming for them to play lapd :D

they played nothing else matters and accoustic dirty magic there too

the intermission fat guy in nappies was cool

i got drenched by a fire extinguisher of dexters

bad habbit usually opens the set....but theres a reason for this....its the best opening song ever written

defy you ive heard a couple of times and that wasnt on americana or ixnay

good live....dont know how though lol except at music awards....woeful

so all in all i think they mix it up abit....the actual stage for co1 tour was awesome would like to see more of this kinda thing :p

how many times have you seen them?

RageAndLov
06-08-2009, 02:51 PM

This is true, logic and totally understandable, but we don't like the truth!