PDA

View Full Version : $30 bucks for a Tour T Shirt? Are you kidding me?

one hundred punks
06-04-2009, 06:20 PM
Ok, $30 for a tshirt? WTF. They should take a page from Rancid who were selling their Tshirts last tour for $15. I would expect this shit from other bands but not from a punk band that is supposed to be so fan friendly. They would still make a nice profit on the shirts if they were half the price. Shit is fucked up ,indeed.

RonWelty
06-04-2009, 06:32 PM
In Europe they cost 30 euros which is even more expensive than in US, so deal with it.

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
06-04-2009, 06:34 PM
they're so expensive because they need to make up for the lost album sales

SelfEsteem94
06-04-2009, 06:35 PM
quit crying,
its well worth the money.

Outerspaceman21
06-04-2009, 06:44 PM
What about plus sizes? Did they remember fat people?

one hundred punks
06-04-2009, 06:46 PM
quit crying,
its well worth the money.

No they aren't. Purchased in bulk, I would be shocked if those cost more than $5 each.

SelfEsteem94
06-04-2009, 06:50 PM
No they aren't. Purchased in bulk, I would be shocked if those cost more than $5 each.
ill bet Rancid's shirts are going to cost the same amount on their tour this year,
there isnt any band around nowadays that is gonna swing you a price of $10 or $15 tour shirts.
i would have loved if the shirts cost less,
i was pretty surprised myself.

one hundred punks
06-04-2009, 06:55 PM
ill bet Rancid's shirts are going to cost the same amount on their tour this year,
there isnt any band around nowadays that is gonna swing you a price of $10 or $15 tour shirts.
i would have loved if the shirts cost less,
i was pretty surprised myself.

You can buy 3 Rancid shirts on their website for $15 bucks. They have had similar deals on tour. My point is that for a band who is all about the fans to be charging that much, with a fucked up economy,well that is just wrong.

Dexter can sing 'SHIT IS FUCKED UP" to some teenagers who eat it up and then they go ahead and rip the fans off like that?

KISS is a band who you expect this shit from since they make no bones about being in it for the money and putting their name on everything.

brothadave79
06-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Ugh, the complaint threads are really getting tiresome. Nobody's making you buy a tour shirt.

You'd think the way people have been bitching about concert lengths and setlists, they wouldn't be bothering to pick up a shirt. :rolleyes:

SelfEsteem94
06-04-2009, 07:01 PM
You can buy 3 Rancid shirts on their website for $15 bucks. They have had similar deals on tour. My point is that for a band who is all about the fans to be charging that much, with a fucked up economy,well that is just wrong.

Dexter can sing 'SHIT IS FUCKED UP" to some teenagers who eat it up and then they go ahead and rip the fans off like that?

KISS is a band who you expect this shit from since they make no bones about being in it for the money and putting their name on everything.
have you tried clicking the link to that part of the site (3 for $15),
it no longer works,
and i highly doubt they would be doing anything like that on their tour,
thats way too kick ass.

one hundred punks
06-04-2009, 07:03 PM
have you tried clicking the link to that part of the site (3 for $15),
it no longer works,
and i highly doubt they would be doing anything like that on their tour,
thats way too kick ass.

They have before. The point is that Rancid and similar bands do this kind of thing and it hypocritical for the Offspring to be singing about how fucked up shit is, while ripping the fans off like that.

Blink, a band that is considerably (now) more popular than Offspring is offering an all inclusive $20 ticket for their shows (parking,fees,etc) Guess what? they will still make millions.

Jojan
06-04-2009, 07:05 PM
They need the money for petrol.

KHWHD
06-04-2009, 07:16 PM
That's about what I've paid on eBay for my shirts. I own 19 of the puppies - and every 1 of them were new except 1 that was sent from the UK.

I'll be picking up 2-3 when I hit my show next month.

one hundred punks
06-04-2009, 07:20 PM
That's about what I've paid on eBay for my shirts. I own 19 of the puppies - and every 1 of them were new except 1 that was send from the UK.

I'll be picking up 2-3 when I hit my show next month.

Do you also enjoy Nike sneakers and throwing your money away in general? Complete and total rip off. I understand this is their job and they need to make a profit but this is a bit much.

Little_Miss_1565
06-04-2009, 07:21 PM
It's how much they cost these days. I paid $25 or $30 for a Municipal Waste shirt when they were on tour with Lamb of God, and do you know who Waste are?

KHWHD
06-04-2009, 07:23 PM
Do you also enjoy Nike sneakers and throwing your money away in general? Complete and total rip off. I understand this is their job and they need to make a profit but this is a bit much.

I prefer Adidas actually. And they cost me $150.00 and my Columbia sandals - they cost me $100.00. I work hard for my money, support my family - but I also enjoy having nice things whether they're expensive or not... that's my choice.

Little_Miss_1565
06-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Almost forgot to mention -- when you start touring bigger venues like the ones that the Offspring are playing on this tour, the venues frequently get a cut of merch sales, forcing bands to jack their prices. The experience I shared a couple posts up was at the Roseland Ballroom here in NYC, and we'll be seeing the Offspring there next month.

one hundred punks
06-04-2009, 07:28 PM
It's how much they cost these days. I paid $25 or $30 for a Municipal Waste shirt when they were on tour with Lamb of God, and do you know who Waste are?

Yes, I know who they are and I wouldn't pay 25 cents let alone 25 bucks for a shirt of theirs. This is not a very "punk" thing for Offspring to do. I don't think they would be welcomed back on Warped Tour charging these kind of prices. Also,$8 for 5 tiny ass pins? That MAYBE are $1 to produce.

Little_Miss_1565
06-04-2009, 07:33 PM
You're clearly too punx to see a band in a big venue.

one hundred punks
06-04-2009, 07:41 PM
You're clearly too punx to see a band in a big venue.

Not at all, my favorite band is GNR and when they charge 30 bones for a shirt I expect it. They don't claim to be punk rawk though and all about their fans.

IamSam
06-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Seeing that normally a tee shirt costs $20 and that venues take a chunk of profits from sales, I find nothing to whine and complain about if the cost is $30. Especially seeing you don't care if GNR does it.

one hundred punks
06-04-2009, 07:52 PM
Seeing that normally a tee shirt costs $20 and that venues take a chunk of profits from sales, I find nothing to whine and complain about if the cost is $30. Especially seeing you don't care if GNR does it.

Who is complaining? I am trying to have a discussion. I know how concerts work ,thanks and all that and Offspring are big enough to call their shots on how merch is sold at the venues.

You are high as a kite if you think Offspring is buying those in bulk for $20 each.

I said I would expect it from Guns read my post. Again,they don't claim to be punk and all about their fans so what they do is irrelevant. A better comparison is Rancid a band with a similar style of music,fanbase etc.

Thomas
06-04-2009, 08:13 PM
The Offspring really don't proclaim to be all that punk anymore, if you haven't noticed. Even so, they have every right to sell their shirts at $30 if GnR has. For fuck's sake, the band has sold over 50 million albums worldwide. OMGZ! SELLOUTZ!!! They are as much of an arena rock band as GnR, but because their music still has punk influence in it, you freak out over shirt prices that are the same as every other giant touring band out there? They haven't been a real "punk" band since 1994, arguably earlier.

Wait. What the fuck am I talking about? Whether they are punk or not has nothing to do with their shirt prices.

I don't like you.

Llamas
06-04-2009, 08:16 PM
So I get (and agree with) the notion that it's hypocritical for the Offspring to bitch about what they do in Stuff is Messed Up, but then utilize exactly what they are bashing in order to make money. I agree with that.

However, this is just stupid. The band does not set the prices. Plus a band on a major label makes VERY little from CD sales or anything else, and most of their profit comes from merch. With all the people taking profit off the merch, the prices have to be high in order for the band to make anything.

Basically, you're upset for the wrong reason. If anything, you should be upset that the Offspring is on a major label, making a ton of money. Had they stayed on a small label, ala Pennywise, they could still have cheap costs for merch and tickets, and you'd be happy. But then would you have heard of them? I might not have. So I'm cool with them being major and having money and charging a lot for shit. Of course, I'd be more prone to buying their stuff and going to concerts if it was all cheaper, but whatevs.

Outerspaceman21
06-04-2009, 08:26 PM
Who cares? It's a shirt. Don't waste you money if you don't want to. You can buy cheaper shirts elsewhere. Hey, you can be HARDCORE PUNX and make your own. True DIY style.

Little_Miss_1565
06-04-2009, 08:30 PM
Not at all, my favorite band is GNR and when they charge 30 bones for a shirt I expect it. They don't claim to be punk rawk though and all about their fans.

*koff*

Almost forgot to mention -- when you start touring bigger venues like the ones that the Offspring are playing on this tour, the venues frequently get a cut of merch sales, forcing bands to jack their prices. The experience I shared a couple posts up was at the Roseland Ballroom here in NYC, and we'll be seeing the Offspring there next month.

*koff koff*

one hundred punks
06-04-2009, 08:31 PM
Wait. What the fuck am I talking about? Whether they are punk or not has nothing to do with their shirt prices.

I don't like you.

Yeah, I often dislike people I have conversations with on the Interwebz:rolleyes:

Again I don't know if you lack basic reading comprehension skills or what but it is hypocritical to sing SIFU and then jack up your tshirt prices. You can't have it both ways. If you are cool with paying $30 for a $5 shirt or $8 for a $1 pack of buttons ,hey more power to you.

one hundred punks
06-04-2009, 08:36 PM
*koff*

*koff koff*

Again,Rancid sells their shirts for $15 on tour and they have played similar sized venues. They were/are on a major label and they still don't feel the need to gouge their fans. See how out of place Offspring would look on Warped selling $30 shirts while the other bands are $10-15.

Also, you never responded to my Blink post. There is a punk band that will make millions on tour and not screw their fans in the process.

_Lost_
06-04-2009, 08:38 PM
What about plus sizes? Did they remember fat people?
yeah. they are 5 bucks more

lol. i don't know what band you are talking about with that last sentence. if rafrag didn't prove to you that they don't consider themselves punk rock, then what will. especially when everywhere, they are listed as alternative.

my van halen shirt cost me $30 when i saw them live. at least the offspring's gear is better quality than the crap van halen was selling us.

Who is complaining?
lol.

brothadave79
06-04-2009, 08:42 PM
Again,Rancid sells their shirts for $15 on tour and they have played similar sized venues. They were/are on a major label and they still don't feel the need to gouge their fans. See how out of place Offspring would look on Warped selling $30 shirts while the other bands are $10-15.

Also, you never responded to my Blink post. There is a punk band that will make millions on tour and not screw their fans in the process.

How are they screwing you? You don't have any obligation to buy one. Nor do they have any obligation to sell you cheap merchandise. I don't buy the hypocrisy argument either. You have NO IDEA why they're selling the shirts for as much as they are. None whatsoever. But that doesn't stop you from beating a dead horse about it. My guess they're selling the shirts for as much as they are is this: because people will buy them. When I saw them in Camden, NJ, the shirts were 25 dollars apiece. They sold out. Still, if you think the prices are so steep, be a good capitalist and leave it on the rack.

_Lost_
06-04-2009, 08:42 PM
The only reason Blink's tour will make a whole lot of money is because of its "reunion tour" theme. And I doubt it will be a multi million dollar tour. The venues nearly gouge bands eyes out to make money off of the shows.

The Offspring will not be making millions of dollars from this tour to be sure.

I think your concept of how much money they make on tour is way out of proportion. Yes, nowadays especially, most of their money comes from the tour, but they still lose a lot of money paying for venues, promotion, paying their crew, etc.

Little_Miss_1565
06-04-2009, 08:43 PM

If charging exactly what a zillion other bands out there do is "screwing their fans," then I would really hate to see what you would have to say if they did something actually legitimately heinous.

Last time Rancid were in town, they played Irving Plaza -- capacity 1,000. Just checked their tour dates this summer -- all clubs that run from 1,000 - 2,500. Roseland Ballroom holds 3,500 officially but probably closer to 4,250 as they reeeally pack 'em in tight.

Ever thought that maybe Rancid and Blink need to slash prices because fewer people want to buy unless they do? ;) I kid, of course. But seriously, you're mad at the Offspring for doing something that bands that aren't half as big as they are do, and you're mad because you think they claim to be more punx than GG Allin, which they don't.

Thomas
06-04-2009, 09:07 PM
If charging exactly what a zillion other bands out there do is "screwing their fans," then I would really hate to see what you would have to say if they did something actually legitimately heinous.

Last time Rancid were in town, they played Irving Plaza -- capacity 1,000. Just checked their tour dates this summer -- all clubs that run from 1,000 - 2,500. Roseland Ballroom holds 3,500 officially but probably closer to 4,250 as they reeeally pack 'em in tight.

Ever thought that maybe Rancid and Blink need to slash prices because fewer people want to buy unless they do? ;) I kid, of course. But seriously, you're mad at the Offspring for doing something that bands that aren't half as big as they are do, and you're mad because you think they claim to be more punx than GG Allin, which they don't.

Have I ever mentioned that I love you?

randman21
06-04-2009, 10:13 PM
I was all set to get a tour shirt when I went to see them. When I noticed that the shirts were $30, I didn't buy one. Problem solved.

Dexter_italy
06-05-2009, 12:48 AM
I was all set to get a tour shirt when I went to see them. When I noticed that the shirts were $30, I didn't buy one. Problem solved.

Good point... But i'd really like to buy a t-shirt from this tour. 30$ or 30€ is really expansive come on. I don't care about what other bands do, but this is a bit ridiculous!

Oxygene
06-05-2009, 01:54 AM
Oh man this dude needs to stop complaining... all this negativity is dragging me down!

Dexter_italy
06-05-2009, 02:34 AM
Then, if the t-shirts were sold at 30$ even in the site I could understand, but in the merch store they cost 17$..... Yours the witness

randman21
06-05-2009, 03:48 AM
Good point... But i'd really like to buy a t-shirt from this tour. 30$ or 30 is really expansive come on. I don't care about what other bands do, but this is a bit ridiculous!
Yeah, I gotcha, and everyone who says this makes a fine argument. I REALLY wanted one, too. 'Twas my first concert, and an Offspring one at that, it'd been nice to commemorate that event with a shirt. Just didn't feel like shelling out that kinda dough. Sooo, what can you do, besides nothing and complain?

Oxygene
06-05-2009, 03:57 AM
Yeah, I gotcha, and everyone who says this makes a fine argument. I REALLY wanted one, too. 'Twas my first concert, and an Offspring one at that, it'd been nice to commemorate that event with a shirt. Just didn't feel like shelling out that kinda dough. Sooo, what can you do, besides nothing and complain?

um... not complain is always an option according to some :)

i_am_the_bishop
06-05-2009, 04:26 AM
my favourite offspring t-shirt cost me 5 from one of those guys outside selling the "fake" t-shirts, it even has all the tour dates on the back (and it's lasted me 10 years so far). i often think the ones they sell outside are better than the official ones. but i might pay a lot for an official one if any are really good :)

Lord_Gabo
06-05-2009, 04:48 AM
30 euro or dollars are too much for a t - shirt...

Dexter_italy
06-05-2009, 05:01 AM
um... not complain is always an option according to some :)

If we complain maybe (I say MAYBE :) ) they will read...if we don't then they won't never know..

randman21
06-05-2009, 05:15 AM
Sooo, what can you do, besides nothing and complain?
For the record, those were two different options: 1) nothing, which includes "not complaining" and "simply not buying" and 2) complaining, which is pretty useless, because the prices are most likely out of their hands.

Rooster
06-05-2009, 05:56 AM
I don't care, i'm still buying one when i'll go to Sziget to see them... And i'm not a spoiled rich kid with too much money.

And ROFL on that "Who is complaining?" line :D

Oxygene
06-05-2009, 06:54 AM
For the record, those were two different options: 1) nothing, which includes "not complaining" and "simply not buying" and 2) complaining, which is pretty useless, because the prices are most likely out of their hands.

yeah thank god for tone of voice through the interwebz.. sorry for having jumped the gun, but you can see how one might think of that connected.. esp reading this read :)

Outerspaceman21
06-05-2009, 08:27 AM

They were never signed to a major. Warner Bros acted as a distributing label. They've only been on Hellcat and Epitaph.

Little_Miss_1565
06-05-2009, 08:50 AM
They were never signed to a major. Warner Bros acted as a distributing label. They've only been on Hellcat and Epitaph.

Point of order on this tip -- Warner owns the independent distribution company ADA, which distributes Epitaph and by extension Hellcat. This is not the same as being on a major label or even being distributed by a major label.

Outerspaceman21
06-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Point of order on this tip -- Warner owns the independent distribution company ADA, which distributes Epitaph and by extension Hellcat. This is not the same as being on a major label or even being distributed by a major label.

Alright, my bad. Bad info

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1472813/20030617/rancid.jhtml

mat.kc.
06-05-2009, 02:18 PM
In Canada, 30 bucks for a band shirt is pretty damn cheap.

I'll be picking up quite a few.

IamSam
06-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Damn the inflation of the American dollar...

Bipolar Bear
06-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Yes it's expensive, yes they'd like to make money.
Why wouldn't they want money? I'd want some too.

Anyway, the price isn't outrageous or anything, but I surely wouldn't buy one. Screw it.

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
06-05-2009, 04:25 PM
if you really want a shirt, then go steal some money, steal and sell, sell some weed, sell a 'lil crack. it's not going to kill you if you sell drugs rarely

that's a hell of a better solution for the people who want to bitch about it

jacknife737
06-05-2009, 04:37 PM
The price isn't anything to really freak over. A lot of band shirts are like $40.00 anyways.

It is more than what i paid for a couple offspring shirts at the 05 warped tour ($18.00 each) but that was at a different sort of venue, and the band wouldn't be expected to share merch revenue with the venue itself.

dexter12296566
09-13-2009, 07:48 PM
it is worth the money. I bought 11 shirts and 18 bottles of gringo and stickers pins and a poster

Jules69
09-13-2009, 08:25 PM
I saw Hall and Oates at a beautiful winery!! To buy a plastic cup of wine was 14.00 bucks and a cup of beer was 8 bucks!! Am glad that I don't drink! An yeah I bought a shirt it also was 30 bucks!!

Berzerker92
09-13-2009, 08:39 PM
I payed $25 for my tour t-shirt. I wish they made +sizes I woulda fit a XXL a little bit more comfortably then an XL but I guess it's a good excuse to get myself from 185 to 175

bouncingcoles
09-13-2009, 09:03 PM
they're so expensive because they need to make up for the lost album sales

it has nothing to do with album sales. the shirts are that expensive because they know people will pay it and a large portion of the money they make from the shows is through merch

Jules69
09-13-2009, 09:07 PM
I payed $25 for my tour t-shirt. I wish they made +sizes I woulda fit a XXL a little bit more comfortably then an XL but I guess it's a good excuse to get myself from 185 to 175

I was able to get mine in a 2xL to sleep in it!!

SMASHedTHEignition
09-14-2009, 03:51 AM
Ugh, the complaint threads are really getting tiresome. Nobody's making you buy a tour shirt.

You'd think the way people have been bitching about concert lengths and setlists, they wouldn't be bothering to pick up a shirt. :rolleyes:

i agree, down with bitching!

Budzy
09-14-2009, 03:53 AM
35 dollars is average here.

dexter12296566
09-14-2009, 04:54 PM
When I saw Kiss it cost me $45 for a medium t-shirt. When I saw The Police it cost me $60 to buy a large t-shirt. That is over-pricing but I couldn't not get a concert shirt.

GunForHire
09-14-2009, 05:40 PM
Quit whining, the tour t-shirts were 30Euro in Europe, which is closer to $50.