PDA

View Full Version : unreasonable ticket prices

sugarglider
06-07-2009, 11:47 PM
Working like a dog while going to college sucks balls--this is a well known, undisputable fact. You learn to stretch money as far as you possibly can--I save pennies in my empty, tin altoid-mint containers just so i can freaking buy my huge box of cup o noodles every week. a girl's gotta eat! (upside to being a starving student--i'm a size 0!!! my ass looks great in my good-will jeans!)

I'm graduating from the university of washington in a few days, and although i'm excited to get my degree, the prospect of stepping into the real world in THIS economy is both scary and depressing, especially if you are a liberal arts major haha. oh, if only i could turn back the clock to a few years ago...i would have gone with a much more lucrative and useful major. civil engineering...man, why did i brush you off so quickly?

As much as I love the offspring, i simply cannot afford to see them when they come into town the 9th. ticket prices are 40 buck-a-roos, plus tax. I don't recall the price being that high when I went to go see them back in 2004 (what a scrumtrulescent show, btw...popped my crowd-surfing cherry that night!)

During a time of war and economic recession, there's nothing more that i need right now than an escape. i was counting on my favorite band to provide that for me. gotta get away! something to believe in! staring at the sun! seeing these guys play is an incredible experience. i know high ticket prices may not be the offspring's fault, but honestly, i feel somewhat exploited here.

there are so many great local seattle bands (dynojams, for instance, is a uw favorite) that i can see for free, or for MUCH, MUCH, MUCH less. And no offense to the offspring, who still retain their position as my favorite band (just barely, though; there's a lot of great music out there and 12 years is a long time to be #1 in my book), but i prefer to see these vibrant, passionate, raw local bands play instead of more expensive and established touring acts. i mean, i rarely go out and see mainstream bands play as it is because i don't have the bacon to do so, but now the few big bands that i actually like--cross out--LOVE, like the offspring, i'm deciding not to see at all.

the offspring got me into punk, which led me towards sort of an emmanuel kant, thinking for myself, personal enlightenment. it's this punkish, rick blaine, terry malloy sort of individualism that has given me the strength and courage to express opinions that disagree with the pressing groupthink of my family and peers. (example: the shady state of human rights in developing countries--all america's fault, i personally believe--i get labeled a communist by my conservative parents for even suggesting that america has anything to do with it. on the flip side, i don't necessarily think capitalism is evil either--this gets me labeled a glenn beck-lovin traitor by my liberal, obama-zealot, fellow college-aged peers. it doesn 't matter if i tack on, "hey, wait, i believe in highly regulated markets and trade agreements that don't exploit the lopsided comparative advantages between third and first world countries" to appease the young liberals, or "hey wait, the privatization of some industries in third world countries DOOOOES enhance their economic growth. good job, pushy american corporations!" for the older conservatives. if you present a dissenting opinion, your head will roll because these...blobs, these...groups...that find solidarity in conformity will hate you for questioning anything outside their respective ideologies.

what is my point with this, as far as the offspring's absurd ticket prices go? i feel like they have a product that people really want, and whoever runs this operation knows this and will charge as much as they can for tickets. my case--as far as being indelibly and positively influenced by their music goes--is not an uncommon one. i'm one of thousands if not one of a few million. a lot of people go against the grain and risk their shorts daily because they have punk music to reassure them that it's ok to stand up for what you believe in, even if it's unpopular. if the offspring were someone like britney spears, i wouldn't have a problem with being exploited and paying 40 bucks to see her lip sync and dance. but their music, at least to me, represents so much more than opps i did it again. what the offspring are doing with 40 dolla tickets is commodifying music, commodifying art, commodifying punk, and commodifying an ideology whose principles are rooted in personal integrity and determination. what they are doing by charging us FORTY plus dollars to see them play is so contradictory to everything they sing about and have taught us, it makes me want to eat popcorn-flavored jelly bellys until i puke.

forty dollars is NOT punk. forty dollars IS diva. jeez, wtf guys, why is it so expensive? does the IMF finance you or something? local bands who charge their audiences peanuts sound just as awesome if not better with shittier equipment. and, sorry to call you out, offspring, i've waited SOOO long for you to set up you gear each time I’ve seen you...it's pretty unreasonable. it's like waiting in line for an hour at disneyland to get on the peter pan ride. is it a pretty cool ride? yes. worth the wait? ...as its relevancy decreases, i'm not so sure.

i don't want to hear the argument, “you're paying that much money to see two other bands play as well—that’s a deal!” i don't give a *f* about alkaline trio or any other band on the bill, and whoever runs the show knows that most people don't. the offspring can sell tickets on their name alone--their fans are the ones who are buying the tickets and making these bands money, not alkaline trio fans. ok, ok...AT are, in fact, really good and have their own fan base, but still, lets be real. they are not commercial enough to draw the kind of crowds and money that the offspring can. and you know, it falls within the same argument that, hey, this is punk music, practice what you preach and what you believe in. alkaline, offspring--you both know that the price is ridiculous. i'm sick of paying for your lifestyles and your excessive and indulgent tour buses.

i think that there are ways these bands could act a little more punk and a little less beyonce knowles to cut corners on costs to make shows more affordable for fans. especially fans who are 2009 graduates and are freaking screwed as far as student loans go. we have to compete in a market with thousands of experienced and skilled people who have been recently laid off. as much as i don't want to be a tool in the system, i really don't know what to do about my debt. i would love to go off to mexico and fight against the privatization of education, for example, but to be free to do that i have to be a part of a system that exploits human beings around the globe in order to pay off my student loans. i can't afford to part with 40 dollars, I need to pay fasfa off ASAP.

anyways, i might piss a lot of people off on here with this post, but I doubt anyone will read something this long. i don't care. i think the more people who get heated about this, the more they'll realize what a bunch of bunk ticket prices are. you don't have to believe what they tell you--they can say, "oh we NEED to charge this because of XYZ; there's nothing we can do!" so MANY things are socially constructed in this world--they are imaginary if you wil--and therefore RULES can CHANGE. change can happen with a little persistence and speaking up. as jimmy stewart once said, lost causes are the only ones worth fighting for. If you resign yourself to the attitude, hey, this is the way things are, nothing I can do will change anything—prove it to yourself first.

i, at least, will stand up and say, FUCK this, i will not pay this much money for someone to sing to me about screwing the system while making me a part of it, even if it is my favorite band behind the curtain. Why? because...

;-) i choose.

i stole the smash album from my sister's exboyfriend when i was in elementry school in 1994 (he was an abusive douche, so i don't feel TOO bad). when i was finally allowed to watch mtv in 1997 (much later than everyone else), one of the first videos i watched was i choose. offspring, you guys are tight, you know you're in a position to freaking do something about this. dr. horrible it up and say, "the status is NOT quo!"

yeah, i wrote this in the tour talk section, but i don't think anyone will read it there. i'm reposting this; in the words of tony perkis, deal with it.

mrs_hollandova
06-07-2009, 11:49 PM
OMG write a book...

IamSam
06-07-2009, 11:52 PM
Hey, you know what else sucks?

Inflation.

Poor economy.

The poor buying power of the American dollar.

The price to put on a show.

You writing a novel

SelfEsteem94
06-07-2009, 11:52 PM
im to lazy to read this long-ass post.

jacknife737
06-08-2009, 12:06 AM
tl; dr

I feel for you, I really do. I too am a student. Debt sucks, but we have to adapt to survive. You're not financially stable enough to see the band this tour, it's unfortunate, but i think it's unfair to blame the band.

You have to accept the reality that the band isn't a struggling punk band playing 5 dollar shows in church basements and dive bars; the band is playing large venues, and in the majority of cases the price of the ticket is indeed determined not by the band, but by the venue itself. 40 dollars is a relatively reasonable price for a band like the Offspring, and although it's more than i usually pay for shows, i think it's fair. The band has to cover the costs of a large road crew (it's no longer as simple as throwing a few amps and guitars in a van and blazing down the interstate), ect, ec

Anyways man, good luck dealing with our brave new world.

mrXniick
06-08-2009, 12:07 AM
Good, more tickets for those who don't bitch and complain.

Grow some balls, suck it up, or shutup.

sugarglider
06-08-2009, 12:08 AM
that's fine. as i mentioned in my post, i didn't expect anyone to read it because it's long.

we are all being cheated here, as far as ticket prices go, and i think it's BULLSHIT that the offspring agreed to 40 bucks a pop. that is RIDICULOUS. that's so against everything they sing about and stand for. i'm paying to see PUNK bands play, not celin dion at ceasers.

Harleyquiiinn
06-08-2009, 12:13 AM
I feel like you are aiming on the wrong target. As you said, you are poor, you are a student, you can't afford to go to the Offspring concert.

Sure, entertainement is too expensive... that is why people download, right ? The thing is, it is the price right now and it has been that price for a few years now. It is harder for you because now you are student, and there is recession and everything...

I just feel that what you must be angry about is having to be on debts to get an education, and having to become a worker in a very very bad economy, that sucks, I know... I think this is a lot worse than a 40$ concert ticket... but that is just my opinion...

IamSam
06-08-2009, 12:16 AM
that's fine. as i mentioned in my post, i didn't expect anyone to read it because it's long.

we are all being cheated here, as far as ticket prices go, and i think it's BULLSHIT that the offspring agreed to 40 bucks a pop. that is RIDICULOUS. that's so against everything they sing about and stand for. i'm paying to see PUNK bands play, not celin dion at ceasers.

I'm tired of this playing nice bit. I just graduated from college and am just as poor as anyone. So here it is:

Being PUNK has nothing to fucking do with it. Covering your expenses has everything to do with it. DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND THAT? You have gas to pay for, employees to pay, building fees, etc to all pay for.

Plus you got to see 3 bands play. 3.

I have seen ticket prices for other concerts upwards of $70 for floor tickets and the normal run of the mill ticket I have seen has been $40. I just paid $50 for Blink-182 floor tickets.

$40 is nothing. Stop complaining.

Plus, if you can't afford it, it's not the bands fault. Get a job. Hey...I think there is a song about that...

Thomas
06-08-2009, 12:22 AM
Holy fuck, dude. I'm in college, can't afford it, and can't find a job either. On top of the $50 ticket (after tax and other charges) I also had to pay for gas to drive all the way to Phoenix from Tucson and back. I never once complained about the ticket price because, with all things considered, it wasn't that unreasonable. They are my favorite band in the world, and seeing them play with 2 other amazing bands in a small venue was WELL WORTH the amount of money I spent. They aren't a regular punk band anymore. They have sold over 50 million goddamn albums worldwide. Consider yourself lucky that they are ONLY charging that much for shows.

Also, epic tl;dr

sugarglider
06-08-2009, 12:26 AM
tl; dr

I feel for you, I really do. I too am a student. Debt sucks, but we have to adapt to survive. You're not financially stable enough to see the band this tour, it's unfortunate, but i think it's unfair to blame the band.

You have to accept the reality that the band isn't a struggling punk band playing 5 dollar shows in church basements and dive bars; the band is playing large venues, and in the majority of cases the price of the ticket is indeed determined not by the band, but by the venue itself. 40 dollars is a relatively reasonable price for a band like the Offspring, and although it's more than i usually pay for shows, i think it's fair. The band has to cover the costs of a large road crew (it's no longer as simple as throwing a few amps and guitars in a van and blazing down the interstate), ect, ec

Anyways man, good luck dealing with our brave new world.

40$$$ for only THREE BANDS is ridiculous any way you slice it. FORTY DOLLARS.

as i said, they can justify the price any way they would like to you. You are choosing to accept high ticket prices because you believe this is necessary to pay off the promoters, the venues, insert whatever here. Bigger tour bigger cost. Touring is the most lucrative part of making music for an artist--they make more money off merchandise and tickets than from actual cds in stores. I agree with you here. What you are confused with is the connection between the clear overcharging in this case and the fact that it is extremely hypocritical for punk bands to pull something like this. what are we buying here?

I have a problem with you blindly accepting this price as the most lowest, possible cost. How do you know? You don't. I've seen them play a few times--small venues and larger ones--and i must say, this is f***** ridiculous.

This is a business, and it is not as simple as scrambling into a van and charging 5 bucks a head at a house party. this is obvious and a given; however, you have to understand that there are there are ways to lower costs. i don't care what BS they tell you--there's a way to do it, different choices that could be made. they shouldn't write and sing about certain themes in their music if they are not going to follow through with similar actions.

Thomas
06-08-2009, 12:28 AM
If people are willing to pay 40 bucks a pop on tickets, then they will sell them at that price. basic economics, dude.

mrs_hollandova
06-08-2009, 12:30 AM
40 dollars is not much. Prices in Europe are the same but in euros or pounds, which is more expensive.

Harleyquiiinn
06-08-2009, 12:34 AM
40 dollars is not much. Prices in Europe are the same but in euros or pounds, which is more expensive.

http://www.assas.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/jap.gif

Homer
06-08-2009, 12:37 AM
40 bucks is pretty fucking cheap, if you ask me.

mrXniick
$40 dollars is a lot for 3 bands... really?

$40 would still be reasonable even if it was JUST The Offspring. They are a hugely successful band with 50+ million records sold. You are acting as if you are paying to see a fucking high school band.

Just because you do not know how to budget your own money, doesn't mean The Offspring charge too much. I too am a college student, just got laid off and was still able to find enough money to go to the show. Its called being responsible, and putting priorities on what you spend your money on.

The prices have nothing to do with being punk. They could easily charge a lot more for these tickets and still sell. You act as if they are some up and coming, underground group. Get a grip on reality.

one hundred punks
Great post SugarGlider. You are arguing with people on here, some of whom think Offspring can do no wrong. Maybe they think Dex will see it and invite them backstage,I don't know.

I don't give a fuck if Offspring no longer consider their music punk. You would think they would hold onto some of the ideals they had in the beginning.

Please don't come with that bullshit that the band doesn't set the ticket price.Blink 182 ( who have far bigger opening acts in Weezer and FallOutBoy) are offering a $20 all inclusive (parking,ticketbastard fees)Offspring could do this but they choose not to.

Even though your post was well thought out be prepared for a lot of the 16 year old truepunx on here to tell you it sucks.Also, you will be told you are not a true Offspring fan and that you are a whiner and complainer.

mrXniick
06-08-2009, 12:41 AM
Great post SugarGlider. You are arguing with people on here, some of whom think Offspring can do no wrong. Maybe they think Dex will see it and invite them backstage,I don't know.

I don't give a fuck if Offspring no longer consider their music punk. You would think they would hold onto some of the ideals they had in the beginning.

Please don't come with that bullshit that the band doesn't set the ticket price.Blink 182 ( who have far bigger opening acts in Weezer and FallOutBoy) are offering a $20 all inclusive (parking,ticketbastard fees)Offspring could do this but they choose not to.

Even though your post was well thought out be prepared for a lot of the 16 year old truepunx on here to tell you it sucks.Also, you will be told you are not a true Offspring fan and that you are a whiner and complainer.

Get over yourself.

Here is an experiment for you. Go form a band, sell 50+ million records and see how much you end up selling your concert tickets for.

sugarglider
06-08-2009, 12:45 AM
If people are willing to pay 40 bucks a pop on tickets, then they will sell them at that price. basic economics, dude.

supply, demand, right on. they are taking advantage of this, and this is not news nor is it particularly surprising.

hoooowever, WHY DO WE HAVE TO ACCEPT IT? 40 dollars?

why not 37?
why not 35?

i have a question for you. why do you like the offspring? is it because of their message and what they represent, or is it because you enjoy mindlessly bopping your head to their three-chord melodies?

as i said, 40 dollars for a britney spears show, i have no problem with. but do you not think that, for a band who had jello of the dead kennedys on one of their cds, and for a band whose roots are in the early-ish punk movement, do you not think it is right for them to be a part of a 40 dollar ticket price that they know a lot of people can't afford? consider their background...they should know better.

by going with this particular arrangement, the offspring are further dividing the haves and the have nots. you can blame the venues or you can blame the people who knowingly are argeeing to perform for ticket prices that are a little unfair.

the type of people who would really be inspired and touched by their music are not privledged, wealthy kids who can blow 40 bucks on a concert.

one hundred punks
06-08-2009, 12:47 AM
Get over yourself.

Here is an experiment for you. Go form a band, sell 50+ million records and see how much you end up selling your concert tickets for.

Ok. I assume you fall into one of those groups then? Disgruntled 16 year old trupunk perhaps?

You don't write songs like Shit Is Fucked Up, then go do the things SugarGlider said.

Blink has sold a shitload of albums and they manage a $20 ticket. You know why? So any of their fans can go.

mrs_hollandova
06-08-2009, 12:49 AM
supply, demand, right on. they are taking advantage of this, and this is not news nor is it particularly surprising.

hoooowever, WHY DO WE HAVE TO ACCEPT IT? 40 dollars?

why not 37?
why not 35?
i have a question for you. why do you like the offspring? is it because of their message and what they represent, or is it because you enjoy mindlessly bopping your head to their three-chord melodies?

as i said, 40 dollars for a britney spears show, i have no problem with. but do you not think that, for a band who had jello of the dead kennedys on one of their cds, and for a band whose roots are in the early-ish punk movement, do you not think it is right for them to be a part of a 40 dollar ticket price that they know a lot of people can't afford? consider their background...they should know better.

by going with this particular arrangement, the offspring are further dividing the haves and the have nots. you can blame the venues or you can blame the people who knowingly are argeeing to perform for ticket prices that are a little unfair.

the type of people who would really be inspired and touched by their music are not privledged, wealthy kids who can blow 40 bucks on a concert.

so go to Britneys show and shut up

mrXniick
06-08-2009, 12:51 AM
Ok. I assume you fall into one of those groups then? Disgruntled 16 year old trupunk perhaps?

You don't write songs like Shit Is Fucked Up, then go do the things SugarGlider said.

Do you read what you write? You are the one criticizing the band for not being punk enough by charge OUTRAGEOUS prices at.. *GASP* $40.

I am trying to explain that they are no longer the underground punk group they once were, and that after selling 50+ million records things will change, which is perfectly normal and I am fine with it. Yes... I am clearly a TRUPUNX ZOMGs they sold out 16 year old fan.

You are an idiot.

Peace out,
- 16 year old trupunx fan

IamSam
06-08-2009, 12:53 AM

The $20 tickets were horrible lawn tickets way the fuck away from good seating.

To the original poster: $40 for three bands is not that bad. I went to a concert with three much larger bands (Breaking Benjamin, Nickleback, Three Days Grace)* four years ago and it was $40 for the floor.

You have to take into account then the rise in inflation, the rise in gasoline prices, and the demand for tickets. It's simple economics and if you don't understand it, even now in your college career, you should contemplate re-enrolling or else sticking with a job at McDonalds. You'll learn more there about economic issues than complaining about nothing to a BBS in which you have only one supporter and it's been proven he's a fucking idiot.

*I went to these bands just for fun as there is a concert in my city once every 6 months.

one hundred punks
06-08-2009, 12:57 AM
Do you read what you write? You are the one criticizing the band for not being punk enough by charge OUTRAGEOUS prices at.. *GASP* $40.

I am trying to explain that they are no longer the underground punk group they once were, and that after selling 50+ million records things will change, which is perfectly normal and I am fine with it. Yes... I am clearly a TRUPUNX ZOMGs they sold out 16 year old fan.

You are an idiot.

Peace out,
- 16 year old trupunx fan

If Blink can do it so can Offspring. It doesn't matter if it is a lawn seat or not.

Plenty of bands sell millions and still make the tickets and t shirts affordable.

Now go rub one out to your Dead Kennedys vinyl.

Unlike you I can have a discussion without resorting to name calling.

IamSam
06-08-2009, 12:58 AM
Something else, you're complaining about $40 tickets but then would be fine with $35 tickets? Really? Fuck, save some money...don't buy soda or some shit. Don't eat out. Fuck...skip one meal.

If you're really desperate for money go sell some blood plasma, semen...something. Fuck...give me your goddamn address and I'll fucking mail you $40 so you stop complaining about an issue that is not an issue.

Harleyquiiinn
06-08-2009, 12:58 AM
Sugarglider > I listen to the Offspring because I like the message and the 3 chords melodies. I can think that the message is a good one without observing how they live their life. I am not going to think "I don't like what they are saying in their songs because they don't seem to live their every day life that way"... That is the thing with art, you can like it even if you don't like the artist...

Now about the price tickets, punk or not punk, it is music. Music is a very important part of life to me but it is entertainement. It is not something that you actually need to live. Therefore, it seems normal (eventhough I'd rather pay 10 € to go to a concert) that people are trying to make money on it.

You can't afford a ticket concert ? I can't afford to go skiing all the time. Too bad.

Edit:

Fuck...give me your goddamn address and I'll fucking mail you $40 so you stop complaining about an issue that is not an issue.

I am complaining, the price ticket for the festival this summer is 45 €. Will you pay it for me ? :D

mrXniick
06-08-2009, 01:02 AM
If Blink can do it so can Offspring. It doesn't matter if it is a lawn seat or not.

Plenty of bands sell millions and still make the tickets and t shirts affordable.

Unlike you I can have a discussion without resorting to name calling.

Are you just retarded?

Did I not clearly explain that I DONT GIVE A FUCK THAT THE OFFSPRING IS NOT THE SAME PUNK BAND THEY USE TO BE?

You are the one complaining that they are selling out because of high concert ticket prices, and that they are no longer punk.

They are not an underground punk group. They are a multi-million record selling, extremely successful band, and I love their music. I don't care what they are classified as, or how much they charge for their tickets.

You are the one spewing out the typical "16 year old trupunx" bullshit.

You are an idiot.

one hundred punks
06-08-2009, 01:03 AM
The $20 tickets were horrible lawn tickets way the fuck away from good seating.

I went to a concert with three much larger bands (Breaking Benjamin, Nickleback, Three Days Grace)* four years ago and it was $40 for the floor.
You'll learn more there about economic issues than complaining about nothing to a BBS in which you have only one supporter and it's been proven he's a fucking idiot.

*I went to these bands just for fun as there is a concert in my city once every 6 months.

Yeah, I am an idiot buddy because I said the set list for 09 sucks and the $5 tshirts they jack up to $30 are a rip off. You got me there! YOU ARE A TRUE PUNK RAWKER!

Also, you went to a Nickelback concert so your taste in music is highly suspect.

Llamas
This is soooooo stupid. I wish concert tickets were cheaper. I really do. I barely go to concerts because of the cost. But come on, there are TONSSSSS of things that are way too expensive. Why are you choosing to specifically bitch about Offspring tickets? On the grand spectrum, these tickets are a very MILD ripoff. I'm pissed about airlines now charging for all luggage. I'm pissed about gas prices going up again. I'm pissed that a soda at a restaurant now costs nearly $3 a glass. I'm pissed that I pay $600 to live in a garden level apartment that has constant bug problems. Seriously. $40 for an Offspring ticket? THAT'S what you choose to bitch about??

Oh by the way, American students pay upwards of $40,000 to attend university, while people in Europe pay about $4,000 for their entire college career. Why don't you go bitch about that? Seems like a MUCH bigger ripoff than concert tickets.

edit: oh, and celine dion? She charges like $150 a ticket... that's nowhere comparable to this.

IamSam

You want to compare it to Blink? You want to do this? Here we go:

Blink tickets at Ohio range from $65 for the floor to normal $40 tickets for seated tickets to the shitty lawn seating at $20.

Blink tickets in Tennessee range from $75 for the floor to $51 for seated to the $20 for shitty lawn seating.

While they have $20 tickets, the other areas have to pay more.

The concert that the poopy pants thread starter is talking about has ONE area. One. Not multiple areas where others have to pay more.

I will once again reiterate that $40 isn't that expensive, especially if you're a college student that has done any drinking.

IamSam
06-08-2009, 01:04 AM
Also, you went to a Nickelback concert so your taste in music is highly suspect.

Did you read the bottom disclaimer? I went with some friends just for the hell of it. I actually don't listen to Nickleback. Don't believe me? Check my LastFM profile.

one hundred punks
06-08-2009, 01:07 AM
Did you read the bottom disclaimer? I went with some friends just for the hell of it. I actually don't listen to Nickleback. Don't believe me? Check my LastFM profile.

Plenty of shitty concerts come through that I don't go to just for the hell of it.

That concert was four years ago.Maybe you just wanted to get out some youthful aggression at the Nickelback concert? Rock on with your bad self.

IamSam
06-08-2009, 01:07 AM
Plenty of shitty concerts come through that I don't go to just for the hell of it.

That concert was four years ago.Maybe you just wanted to get out some youthful aggression at the Nickelback concert? Rock on with your bad self.

Now you're just being a troll. Stop.

sugarglider
06-08-2009, 01:08 AM
$40 dollars is a lot for 3 bands... really?

$40 would still be reasonable even if it was JUST The Offspring. They are a hugely successful band with 50+ million records sold. You are acting as if you are paying to see a fucking high school band.

Just because you do not know how to budget your own money, doesn't mean The Offspring charge too much. I too am a college student, just got laid off and was still able to find enough money to go to the show. Its called being responsible, and putting priorities on what you spend your money on.

The prices have nothing to do with being punk. They could easily charge a lot more for these tickets and still sell. You act as if they are some up and coming, underground group. Get a grip on reality.

First, i would like to point out that this response is coming from a place of love and respect. I don't know you, and i'm certainly are not offended by your opinion. You are more than welcomed to think that way.

However, without revealing too much of my personal history, I've almost enitrely put myself through college--and supported my family with any extra income i earn. I'm very happy to hear that you are responsible with your own finances--hooray, i am as well--but i do not come from a family where mom and dad have my back. in fact, it's very much the other way around in my case. I respect the dollar--i know how far it can go. I do not waste a cent. High school and college, I have been taking care of other people in addition to myself. It would be nice to just think about me and only worry about my own personal life trajectory. Accidents happen, things change, situations turn, this is just how life goes. I know at the end of the day, i can either spend the extra money i have on a concert, or give it to my little sisters who are still in elementary school so they have a lunch to take to school the next day.

I do not want to make assumptions about who you are and the type of lifestyle you lead, but I would guess you are not very familiar with poverty based on your response. I would also assume that you are unaware how widespread it is, even in america. I appreciate what you say all the same, however. Get mad. Think about this. could you pay less for this ticket? ask why? have you ever thought that maybe, just maybe, that things have the potential to change? is anything real? how can anything intangible like ticket prices BE real? they're not. they're made up, and as such, someone has the power to change them.

the offspring did not have to agree to 40 plus a ticket. with their punk background, you would expect they would be more careful and responsible about this. all i'm asking here is, if you think 40 is too much and it can change, why not speak up

one hundred punks
06-08-2009, 01:08 AM
For those of you who feel you are wasting your time in this thread, Dexter's Guitar Stickers thread looks pretty promising.

mrXniick
06-08-2009, 01:09 AM

Sam, you are one of the more reasonable posters on this board, so I would suggest just... ignoring this idiot from now on.

I don't think he has a grasp on the English language, as he does not seem to see the contradictions, and flawed logic in his own posts.

Me and you are clearly the "trupunx 16 year old fans" that he speaks of. We don't see a major problem with their set list, we don't bitch and moan about their ticket prices, and we don't criticize other people's taste in music. This clearly makes us punk elitists :rolleyes:

one hundred punks
06-08-2009, 01:09 AM
Now you're just being a troll. Stop.

Nah, I was responding to you defending your enjoyment of the Nickelback show! Even Supermod 1565 said I was a complainer and whiner not a troll. Thanks for trying though!

Llamas
06-08-2009, 01:10 AM
First, i would like to point out that this response is coming from a place of love and respect. I don't know you, and i'm certainly are not offended by your opinion. You are more than welcomed to think that way.

However, without revealing too much of my personal history, I've almost enitrely put myself through college--and supported my family with any extra income i earn. I'm very happy to hear that you are responsible with your own finances--hooray, i am as well--but i do not come from a family where mom and dad have my back. in fact, it's very much the other way around in my case. I respect the dollar--i know how far it can go. I do not waste a cent. High school and college, I have been taking care of other people in addition to myself. It would be nice to just think about me and only worry about my own personal life trajectory. Accidents happen, things change, situations turn, this is just how life goes. I know at the end of the day, i can either spend the extra money i have on a concert, or give it to my little sisters who are still in elementary school so they have a lunch to take to school the next day.

I do not want to make assumptions about who you are and the type of lifestyle you lead, but I would guess you are not very familiar with poverty based on your response. I would also assume that you are unaware how widespread it is, even in america. I appreciate what you say all the same, however. Get mad. Think about this. could you pay less for this ticket? ask why? have you ever thought that maybe, just maybe, that things have the potential to change? is anything real? how can anything intangible like ticket prices BE real? they're not. they're made up, and as such, someone has the power to change them.

the offspring did not have to agree to 40 plus a ticket. with their punk background, you would expect they would be more careful and responsible about this. all i'm asking here is, if you think 40 is too much and it can change, why not speak up

All this seriously makes me think even MORE that you're taking out your disdain at the wrong people. $40 for a concert ticket doesn't compare to the fact that Americans get ripped of by Universities. I wanna go to grad school in Germany so that I'm not taken for an even bigger version of the $40,000 ride that my bachelor's took me on. Come on. You put yourself through college... and you're upset about a $40 ticket? Learn to direct your emotions where they're deserved.

one hundred punks
06-08-2009, 01:11 AM

No,according to the concert promoters on here, after selling 50 million albums Offspring are forced to charge those prices.

IamSam
06-08-2009, 01:20 AM

I, like you have paid my way through college. I, like you have faced very hard times with my family. I spent many a cold night in a sleeping bag under my covers because we would only keep the house thermostat at around 50 degrees in the winter. Life sucks. I know. But it comes down to this: If you can't afford it, you can't afford it. I missed going to The Offspring this year as well due to some unseen medical bills. I know that it sucks, but it happens. There will be other times.

Next, you still fail to grasp the simple economics of the $40 ticket. It actually pains me and makes me somewhat sad that you don't. There are so many factors that go into ticket prices that when coupled with inflation and rising gas prices that $40 is only feasible.

Llamas
06-08-2009, 01:24 AM
What are you proposing they do differently, anyway? Drop the tickets prices? Okay, sure. But in order for that to happen, they would no longer be able to play large venues. Large venues charge a lot, and then the Offspring would make nothing (or even end up losing money) from their shows. So they'd have to start playing small venues. Since they are still a popular band, their shows would sell out in moments and most of their fans would not get to see them live. Does that really sound like a good compromise?

Blackleave
06-08-2009, 01:46 AM
yeah well actually the band could drop the prices i think
but i don't know how many influence they have on that one ...
on one side 40 $ is not that much 3 bands are playing ...
on the other side other bands manage keeping their concert prices lower
but whatever i think that already has been said

Free?
06-08-2009, 02:14 AM
sugarglider, I like you and I wish you to find a way for financial stability so you could afford over paying 20 bucks for a one-per-year (or few years) Offspring show. Honestly.
Comes from a guy who lives in a country with one of the shittiest economy in Europe that never been visited by our beloved band and every big name artist show ticket usually costs 25-30 LVL which is equal to like 49-58 bucks here (and they are the 'standard' places, not the vip, fanzone or lux areas).

sugarglider
06-08-2009, 02:14 AM
I, like you have paid my way through college. I, like you have faced very hard times with my family. I spent many a cold night in a sleeping bag under my covers because we would only keep the house thermostat at around 50 degrees in the winter. Life sucks. I know. But it comes down to this: If you can't afford it, you can't afford it. I missed going to The Offspring this year as well due to some unseen medical bills. I know that it sucks, but it happens. There will be other times.

Next, you still fail to grasp the simple economics of the $40 ticket. It actually pains me and makes me somewhat sad that you don't. There are so many factors that go into ticket prices that when coupled with inflation and rising gas prices that $40 is only feasible.

You are misunderstanding what i'm exactly getting at here. i'm using the ticket price to look at a bigger picture.

"if you can't afford it, you can't afford it" --that statement in itself reflects the sort of attitude that i'm trying to fight. it's why oppression still exists, because people don't bother to think critically about things they believe they cannot change.

someone mentioned that since the offspring sold 50 mil albums or whatever, there are particular rules that apply to them in the sense that they HAVE to select certain venues and agree to certain prices. again, you are happily and blindly accepting rules that, although they may be supported by an economic framework, someone made up. are they set in stone anywhere? these are conditions and terms that the offspring did not have to accept when they signed whatever contract they signed. they could have opted for other deals that may have been more affordable for their fans. instead, they sold out to the man and decided to pocket some dough.

why i find this particularly discomforting is that it conflicts with basic punk ideals, something that the offspring makes their bread and butter off of. at a time when the rich are getting richer and the poorer are getting poorer, why contribute to that gap? i think it's a little irresponsible

As for the economics of the 40 dollar ticket--don't feel sad for me, i understand how these things work. What i am asking you all to think about is WHY you have accepted things to be this way. i know this type of thinking is something you're probably not used to (i do not mean to be condescending)because it appears to be asking a simple question. when you start thinking and questioning about things that you've always known as fact, you'll be surprised how little validation there is in your justifications.

sugarglider
06-08-2009, 02:23 AM
What are you proposing they do differently, anyway? Drop the tickets prices? Okay, sure. But in order for that to happen, they would no longer be able to play large venues. Large venues charge a lot, and then the Offspring would make nothing (or even end up losing money) from their shows. So they'd have to start playing small venues. Since they are still a popular band, their shows would sell out in moments and most of their fans would not get to see them live. Does that really sound like a good compromise?

This is where creative and critical thinking comes in :-)

Playing a couple nights in one town might work out. To ensure that every fan had equal access to tickets, certain e-mail or contact lists could be formulated.

There are many options you could go with that require brain power, not money power, to come up with. the point is to always question, question, question.

Upgrayedd
06-08-2009, 02:25 AM
Since you posted the same thing in two sections, I'll post the same response in this one too:

"Hehe, the tickets were the least of my expenses. Gas for driving to Vegas, food, lodging, t-shirts, gambling, alcohol and hookers ended up costing me way more. And I spent plenty of money at BFD too with their $10 beers. Besides, 40 bucks isn't bad for a band as famous as Offspring, especially considering its their first tour in years and concerts still seem to be selling out."

On top of that, tickets to Offspring shows have been this much for years. And if you take inflation into account, they are probably cheaper today than they were 5 years ago. Just be happy they're still touring.

Dragnet
06-08-2009, 02:26 AM
I agree that 40 dollars is a lot for someone with little income, however as stated in numerous posts before, there should be some way for you to save this money. maybe you can also borrow some money and pay it back when your liquid again.

I paid 30 Euros back in 2004 and thought it was an alright price for seeing your alltime heros.

sugarglider
06-08-2009, 02:54 AM
I agree that 40 dollars is a lot for someone with little income, however as stated in numerous posts before, there should be some way for you to save this money. maybe you can also borrow some money and pay it back when your liquid again.

I paid 30 Euros back in 2004 and thought it was an alright price for seeing your alltime heros.

This is not about my personal finances; there are a lot of people who can't afford 40 dollars. When I have spare money, i give it to those who need it instead of spending it on myself. help support a fam of 5 by working 2 jobs, then go to school (university, none of that community college BS) full time on top of that. do that for several years, starting as a teenager...will see if you start counting pennies. you learn very quickly how to save as much money as possible.

As for people who feel like i'm directing my frustrations at the wrong people :-) no, everything's part of a system. this small matter contributes to a larger picture.

you can compare these prices with other bands, or you can factor in inflation, gas prices, and other economic factors. but this is an issue that further needs questioning. how do we know that this band is doing all that it can with ticket prices, why 40, why are we just accepting without investigating why things are the way they are.

Offspring-Junkie
06-08-2009, 02:58 AM
This is soooooo stupid. I wish concert tickets were cheaper. I really do. I barely go to concerts because of the cost. But come on, there are TONSSSSS of things that are way too expensive. Why are you choosing to specifically bitch about Offspring tickets? On the grand spectrum, these tickets are a very MILD ripoff. I'm pissed about airlines now charging for all luggage. I'm pissed about gas prices going up again. I'm pissed that a soda at a restaurant now costs nearly $3 a glass. I'm pissed that I pay $600 to live in a garden level apartment that has constant bug problems. Seriously. $40 for an Offspring ticket? THAT'S what you choose to bitch about??

Oh by the way, American students pay upwards of $40,000 to attend university, while people in Europe pay about $4,000 for their entire college career. Why don't you go bitch about that? Seems like a MUCH bigger ripoff than concert tickets.

edit: oh, and celine dion? She charges like $150 a ticket... that's nowhere comparable to this.

I agree with this. And sugarglider, quit smoking (if you're a smoker), spares a dime or two.

sugarglider
06-08-2009, 03:07 AM
I agree with this. And sugarglider, quit smoking (if you're a smoker), spares a dime or two.

not a smoker. again, i do everything i can to save, and although i appreciate the advice, i don't need any.

so someone believes that college prices are ridiculously high--right on.

i think you see the bigger problem i'm "whining" about...

but...

i'm still sick of you guys just blindly accepting things, or having a problem with it and not doing anything about it. action, people

IamSam
06-08-2009, 03:13 AM
Well if you are giving away all your money then I think the only person to blame is yourself. It's not that we are blindly following, but rather we are realistically understanding what goes into ticket prices while you are turning a blind eye and opt to whine.

Dragnet
06-08-2009, 07:07 AM
i'm still sick of you guys just blindly accepting things, or having a problem with it and not doing anything about it. action, people

See, there will always be enough people who pay 40 dollars or more to see a 60 minute show. However, if you think this is way too much, just don't go there. You want people to take action, then you should probably do something too.

If you release an album every five years you have to find ways to get the fucking money in! :rolleyes:

Outerspaceman21
06-08-2009, 07:20 AM
I'm a jobless college student, also a liberal arts major. I was still able to afford a $70 ticket that I never got to use because I got into a car accident on the way to the concert.

I do a lot of oddjobs (yardwork, housecleaning) and I cut back on a lot of unnescessary spending. I haven't bought anything for myself in months. I also recycle, which is a good way to make an easy 50 bucks.

Thomas
06-08-2009, 08:19 AM
So we are back to the whole "The Offspring are sellouts!" argument again. Wow. I thought 1997 was 12 years ago...

For fuck's sake, $40 is NOT an expensive ticket, especially for a rock band as HUGE as The Offspring, with some AWESOME opening bands (Street Dogs and Alkaline Trio). Concerts for large bands are ALWAYS going to but upwards of $40-$50, and whether you like it or not, The Offspring are a HUGE band. If you've ever gone t one of their shows, you'd know that they are WELL worth the $40-$50 you paid to get in.

Again, if they can sell out venues with these ticket prices, be grateful they don't do the fiscally responsible thing and RAISE ticket prices. You have to remember, not only do the venue and all these other little things (roadies, booking agents, etc) take up money, but the band themselves have to split their earnings with the other bands they are touring with. When all is said and done, they probably don't get a whole lot of money per ticket.

If you can't afford a ticket, I'm sorry, but you HAVE to realize that as awesome people as they are, they aren't going to do national/international tours if they don't make some cash for themselves. If you've been to their shows, then you'd see that A LOT more goes into their shows than just the music. Paying all the roadies to set things up, their sound men, people with the lights and programming.... the list goes on and on. The only reason ticket prices are the way they are is because they are actually really cool people and DON'T want to overcharge their fans for tickets. They could EASILY get away with $60 tickets, and people would STILL come to see them. I sure as hell would.

KHWHD
06-08-2009, 08:21 AM
My ticket was nearly $70.00 and I never complained once about it. I'm a single Mom with 2 young daughters and I would pay $1,000 if it cost me that much. It'll be well worth it.

Thomas
06-08-2009, 08:23 AM
My ticket was nearly $70.00 and I never complained once about it. I'm a single Mom with 2 young daughters and I would pay $1,000 if it cost me that much. It'll be well worth it.

^This.

She has it much harder than you do, I'm sure, and she didn't complain about ticket prices because, as has been stated many times already, they are not unreasonable ticket prices. I was actually surprised they were only $40 when I bought mine online.

_Lost_
06-08-2009, 08:46 AM
The Offspring are a modern rock staple. They are one of few bands to make it through the 90s and early 2000s without losing most of their following. I'm a broke college student currently with no job, no financial aid and late rent. I'm still gonna try to see them in july (lol again). Look at how much the Blink 182 tickets are costing and they haven't been around as long. I'm still going to see them when they hit charlotte in october. My Van Halen ticket cost $75.

sheesh! what can you expect from inflation mixed with the band's success?

Bipolar Bear
06-08-2009, 09:05 AM
It could have been worse than $40, how do you know that they didn't argue to not make it 50 or 60?

That being said, $40 is a little high for that kind of show.

Cerberus
06-08-2009, 09:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgpa7wEAz7I

Smash_Returns
06-08-2009, 10:05 AM

This is why Pearl Jam boycotted Ticketmaster a while ago. However, during the boycott, they couldn't play at any Ticketmaster venues, so they were stuck playing in small local venues, too small for the crowds that wanted to see them.

It's Ticketmaster gouging you for prices, not The Offspring, but if they were to boycott Ticketmaster to keep ticket prices reasonable, you'd be no better off. (People were trampled to death to see Pearl Jam, which is what inevitably caused them to end the boycott.)

GunForHire
06-08-2009, 10:30 AM
There were $10 lawn tickets at the Irvine gig the other night - I think the band is all in favour of lower ticket prices. You can blame bad economy, greedy ticket outlets and higher venue charges for ticket prices being higher these days.

Shit you could be worse off - try living in Europe where taxes are even higher. Hell I just paid almost 60 Euro (around $80) for general admission tickets to see Muse later this year.

Harleyquiiinn
06-08-2009, 11:12 AM
60 € is a lot... I am not a huge fan of Muse but they are really good live so at least, you will probably hav e a good time

Americana98
06-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Topic creator, how the hell do you expect the band to continue? Seriously, how do you expect any bands to continue? Nobody buys CD's anymore. Rise and Fall Rage and Grace is set to be their first CD since Ignition to NEVER even reach Gold status in the US...this is a HUGE fall from a band who went Platinum in their peak. Do you think money to make records and go on tour grows on trees?

The band has NOTHING TO DO with ticket prices. The record label sets up the venues and their opening acts, and the record label has to pay for ALL of this. And the record label sets the ticket prices, because if the record label can't make some profit off this band, this band doesn't get to make more CD's. Get it? I'm sorry the ticket prices are too high for you, but maybe if their supposed "fans" actually purchased their new CD's instead of stealing them then maybe we'd have lower prices but that's not how it works. Touring is pretty much the only way bands like The Offspring and Papa Roach make their record labels any cash nowadays and therefore record labels are increasing tour prices....PLUS, ever hear of inflation? EVERYTHING is more expensive than it was 10+ years ago, that's just the way the economy works. It's like blaming book publishers today for the fact that you can no longer buy books for 5 cents like you could in the 1960's...

I really don't think $40 for a ticket is too unreasonable, and the record label at least provides us some value with opening acts that the band's fans might actually enjoy (unlike Cypress Hill back in the Conspiracy of One days,) so I really don't see the problem.

Alison
06-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Ok, I'm not very familiar with usual ticket prices in the US, but $40 doesn't seem THAT much, compared with ticket prices these days in general. I mean, they're a big enough band, we're not back in the early 90's, everything these days is expensive.
I'm paying £22.50 along with flight costs and hotel costs to see them in England, I'm not complaining, I'm just happy to get to see them. I don't think I'm being majorly ripped off.

And also....about Muse, yeah €60 is way over the top, but people pay it to see them. Then again, any big event in Ireland is majorly overpriced. I know quite a few people who are paying €35 to see BellX1, a band that aren't even big, except in Ireland.

Llamas
06-08-2009, 12:26 PM
I just looked up the auditorium the Offspring is playing in here in the cities... the last two concerts there were Fallout Boy and Death Cab. Fallout Boy cost considerably more than Offspring, and Death Cab was $7 less. Neither of those bands have the following or fame the Offspring has. Death Cab is supposedly an indie band... shouldn't their tickets be like $15? Oh right, the band doesn't set prices.

This is where creative and critical thinking comes in :-)

Playing a couple nights in one town might work out. To ensure that every fan had equal access to tickets, certain e-mail or contact lists could be formulated.

There are many options you could go with that require brain power, not money power, to come up with. the point is to always question, question, question.
And you're crazy if you are expecting the band to work twice as hard for the same amount of money. Hey guys, let's make our tour take TWICE as long and be away from our families for TWICE the amount of time, but still make the same amount of money! Genius plan!
Plus, their label would never agree to that. Twice as much booking, twice as much work... plus a lot of venues are very selective about letting an act have two nights in a row.

Your heart is in the right place, but you honestly just have no clue about this stuff. Plus I don't get what your goal is here. Are you trying to get the Offspring to change their minds and find a way to start selling their tickets for cheaper? They've been in this business for 12 years and I'm sure they're well aware of what their options are. If there was a viable alternative to what they've done all this time, either they would have already done it, or they're dickheads who clearly don't give a shit about you. In which case, you should probably stop liking them and move on to something else.
But I don't think you're really trying to change anything, because that would just be too weird... I think you're just complaining. If you were really trying to change things, you'd do a hell of a lot more than make a thread on a message board.

Jesus
06-08-2009, 01:25 PM
llamas has said everything I wanted to say. Sell'm cheaper, and people will bitch because they haven't been able to buy a ticket (cause it sold out). Or they'd have to turn to scalpers, who will sell tickets for their actual value (that's why we hate them), which is probably double of the current normal price.

sugarglider
06-08-2009, 02:39 PM
There are many financial obstacles in the way of lowering ticket prices--the poster above brought up the most common ones. general knowledge, but a worthy point nonetheless (although already brought up).

wouldn't anyone like an explanation from the band or managing company explaining ticket prices? don't you think that fans deserve the right to know whether or not they are being ripped off? why do fans have to be so passive about this?

i would like to know if a band who decided to call their tour, "this shit is fucked up" even thinks or cares about ticket prices. even if they've made an effort in the past to do something, that was years ago--what about now? What's wrong with asking questions?

while the offspring will occasionally play a cheap concert here or there, it seems like those are exclusively played in california, every time. california is spoiled enough as it is; why not do that in germany, or japan, or seattle? i don't want to hear, "well, it's easier and less costly for them to do it in CA because they live there"--so what??????? why not expect more from a band who, in their music, expects more from society?

come out swinging
06-08-2009, 02:47 PM

lol

40 bucks is cheap to see them with 2 other bands. I paid bout 35.00 Other bands/ shows are a lot more expensive.

Rag Doll
06-08-2009, 02:58 PM
wouldn't anyone like an explanation from the band or managing company explaining ticket prices? don't you think that fans deserve the right to know whether or not they are being ripped off? why do fans have to be so passive about this?

No, actually I don't want an explanation. And people are only being "ripped off" because Ticketmaster holds a monopoly on the ticket industry. And people are passive because it's really NOT that expensive. I paid like $200/ticket to see ONE band in a small venue last year. True, I paid for VIP, but if I didn't it would have still cost me $80/ticket. $40 is really nothing.

i would like to know if a band who decided to call their tour, "this shit is fucked up" even thinks or cares about ticket prices. even if they've made an effort in the past to do something, that was years ago--what about now? What's wrong with asking questions?

When I see them this summer, I'll be sure to tell them that they should contact you before their next tour to make sure they're following the tru punx guidelines that you're so well versed in.

And the issue with you asking questions is you are questioning the band when you should REALLY be questioning Ticketmaster. Hell, I know a Congressman from NJ is looking into Ticketmaster's monopoly. Perhaps write a letter to Congress about your concerns!

sugarglider
06-08-2009, 03:19 PM
No, actually I don't want an explanation. And people are only being "ripped off" because Ticketmaster holds a monopoly on the ticket industry. And people are passive because it's really NOT that expensive. I paid like $200/ticket to see ONE band in a small venue last year. True, I paid for VIP, but if I didn't it would have still cost me $80/ticket. $40 is really nothing.

When I see them this summer, I'll be sure to tell them that they should contact you before their next tour to make sure they're following the tru punx guidelines that you're so well versed in.

And the issue with you asking questions is you are questioning the band when you should REALLY be questioning Ticketmaster. Hell, I know a Congressman from NJ is looking into Ticketmaster's monopoly. Perhaps write a letter to Congress about your concerns!

Nastiness is unnecessary, but kudos for freely expressing yourself.

the ticketmaster monopoly is a gnarly one, but bands and musical acts underestimate their collective, negotiating power. someone referenced the pearl jam incident which is a pretty good example of standing up and getting shut down--temporarily. changing a system is never easy nor is it a swift process. But for those of you who don't want to lie down and take it, writing your congressmen ANNDD your favorite bands is a great way to start (good thinking, ragdoll!). we need to shawshank this up a bit and pull an andy.

i think paying 200 dollars per VIP ticket (for any concert) reflects, again, the have and have-nots. that's part of america--i don't have much of a problem with paying 200 dollars for a vip ticket as much as i do with paying 40 plus tax on general admission. ok, yes, it may be a good deal, a good value, compared to everything else you've experienced, but have you ever had these numbers broken down to you? just how much are you getting ripped off? stop thinking about the practicality of economics for one sweet second and allow your mind to ponder this briefly.

tru punx, i don't know what the fuck that is, i just believe in staying true to your own personal ideologies. in this case i'm daring to ask, are the offspring doing that as far as ticket prices are concerned?

i would also consider yourself very lucky to have 200 dollars saved up. a lot of you think that 200, 40 bucks is not a lot of money. i beg to differ. perhaps in the global north it is. I don't know if you've ever traveled abroad to a third world country, where many people don't have access to water because it's privatized. to millions and millions, 200 dollars represents a lot of money--it represents life. thousands of people--kids, babies, whatever--die from lack of thirst through diarrhea because they can't afford WATER, EVERY DAY. so, enjoy your 200 vip tickets. while it may be nothing to you, it may mean everything to your sisters and brothers across the sea.

Smash_Returns
06-08-2009, 03:19 PM
The AC/DC concert i was about to go to earlier this year was $90/ticket.

I found the price of $40/ticket quite reasonable.

Rag Doll
06-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Nastiness is unnecessary, but kudos for freely expressing yourself.

Not nasty - just real.

the ticketmaster monopoly is a gnarly one, but bands and musical acts underestimate their collective, negotiating power. someone referenced the pearl jam incident which is a pretty good example of standing up and getting shut down--temporarily. changing a system is never easy nor is it a swift process. But for those of you who don't want to lie down and take it, writing your congressmen ANNDD your favorite bands is a great way to start (good thinking, ragdoll!). we need to shawshank this up a bit and pull an andy.

I imagine it's very difficult to do what Pearl Jam did and could be very difficult depending on contracts and whatnot. Many bands may be contractually obligated to do x tour at x place and be unable to be all, "FUCK THE MAN FUCK TICKETMASTER I PLAY FOR CHEAP BECAUSE I'M NOT A TRENDY ASSHOLE!" It may be a very big risk and I doubt many would be willing to take it. And you would need to find a LOT of big name acts willing to do it for it work. Maybe if you could get Miley Cyrus, the Jonas Brothers, U2, the Police, and so on to all agree to this before it would work. But otherwise, I don't think so.

The Congressman really going against Ticketmaster is Bill Pascrell, Jr. I believe Senator Chuck Schumer is as well. I don't know, google them, maybe they have something going.

i think paying 200 dollars per VIP ticket (for any concert) reflects, again, the have and have-nots. that's part of america--i don't have much of a problem with paying 200 dollars for a vip ticket as much as i do with paying 40 plus tax on general admission. ok, yes, it may be a good deal, a good value, compared to everything else you've experienced, but have you ever had these numbers broken down to you? just how much are you getting ripped off? stop thinking about the practicality of economics for one sweet second and allow your mind to ponder this briefly.

tru punx, i don't know what the fuck that is, i just believe in staying true to your own personal ideologies. in this case i'm daring to ask, are the offspring doing that as far as ticket prices are concerned?

i would also consider yourself very lucky to have 200 dollars saved up. a lot of you think that 200, 40 bucks is not a lot of money. i beg to differ. perhaps in the global north it is. I don't know if you've ever traveled abroad to a third world country, where many people don't have access to water because it's privatized. to millions and millions, 200 dollars represents a lot of money--it represents life. thousands of people--kids, babies, whatever--die from lack of thirst through diarrhea because they can't afford WATER, EVERY DAY. so, enjoy your 200 vip tickets. while it may be nothing to you, it may mean everything to your sisters and brothers across the sea.

Please don't bring a holier-than-thou twist to the entire thing. This is about ticket costs in North America, not lack of clean water in Africa. I was attempting to give an example about ticket costs that are much higher (and it was also from a band that had a bit of a "fuck corporate America" attitude), not show how much money I have. If you'd like to compare sob stories, we could do that in another thread.

Gringa Bandita
06-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Seriously, will someone buy SugarGlider a ticket so she can stop practicing her master's thesis on here.

You should be VERY happy that just a tiny portion of that "$40" even goes to the band. They bring the talent...so just go enjoy it. There's lots of things we all wish were cheaper, but there are costs so you either go for it or you don't. Do you whine like that at the grocery store too when you buy your stuff? Now there you can find some ridiculous prices.

If you do investigate it, you'll probably see that $40 for a ticket is fine, especially when you see the bandmembers dripping with sweat after the show, leaving their families to go on tour, risking their lives from flying from city to city and overseas, and practically putting their whole lives out to the public, then you'll gladly pay double that price...if you're an Offspring fan from the bottom of your heart.

Can't afford it? Save money for the next concert or go start your own band. Like someone else said, cut back on other stuff. But it's VERY rude to complain on the band's website about this when they are the ones who bring the talent and hard work. So rude. $40 for a ticket is nothing, and they are even cheaper sometimes. What more can an Offspring fan ask for? People were getting $10 lawn tix for the show I just went to, parking included. GREAT show and worth much more.

You say we blindly accept things, but you are blindly UNaccepting things.

brothadave79
06-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Obama needs to start subsidizing the concert industry.

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
06-08-2009, 04:13 PM
everything is expensive as fuck because they need to make up for lost album sales

_Lost_
06-08-2009, 04:35 PM
while the offspring will occasionally play a cheap concert here or there, it seems like those are exclusively played in california, every time. california is spoiled enough as it is; why not do that in germany, or japan, or seattle? i don't want to hear, "well, it's easier and less costly for them to do it in CA because they live there"--so what??????? why not expect more from a band who, in their music, expects more from society?
From what I've heard, shows in California are cheaper in general. There are so many shows played there that its going to be cheaper for bands in general. supply vs. demand on that one methinks.

i think paying 200 dollars per VIP ticket (for any concert) reflects, again, the have and have-nots.
lol. you're funny for making these major assumptions.

IamSam
06-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Paying $200 for a VIP ticket is not a 'have or have not' scenario. Anyone that knows me most certainly considers me a have not, but if I wanted something that bad I would work more in order to save up. Which I have on more than one occasion in order to pay bills.

I think it's about time to just STFU and stop worrying about this.

Llamas
06-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Obama needs to start subsidizing the concert industry.
I liked this.

The whole "omg people are starving in Africa" bit has nothing to do with this. We live in a completely different place, and instead of bitching about the prices, you should be grateful that we have the luxuries we have. Not everyone can afford Offspring tickets. That's how the world works. Very few things are affordable by everyone.

I'd get more into this, but this is becoming a circular argument. You think we're ENTITLED to having the Offspring tell us why? No, we're not. We don't have that right. They could tell us if they wanted to, but we're not entitled. I'm a Packer fan, but I wouldn't expect Aaron Rodgers to tell me why a ticket to a regular season Packer game is like $150. Just because I'm a fan doesn't mean I've earned that right.

nameless
06-08-2009, 04:55 PM
that price seemed pretty reasonable to me, seeing as in the uk with delivery and booking fees tickets for bands like the offspring and green day, tickets often work out around £30 which is even more in dollars! my advice would be to scan ebay near the show and try and pick up a bargain! although if the show sells out, your in trouble!

brothadave79
06-08-2009, 05:01 PM
I liked this.

I'd get more into this, but this is becoming a circular argument. You think we're ENTITLED to having the Offspring tell us why? No, we're not. We don't have that right. They could tell us if they wanted to, but we're not entitled. I'm a Packer fan, but I wouldn't expect Aaron Rodgers to tell me why a ticket to a regular season Packer game is like $150. Just because I'm a fan doesn't mean I've earned that right.

Thanks! At least someone likes my one-line sniping.

But anyway, Llamas is absolutely right. (I'm a Packer fan too, btw, and my ex once took me to a Packers-Ravens game in Baltimore for $100 a ticket, nosebleeds.)

To Sug': Entertainment is a luxury (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/luxury). Those who have higher levels of disposable income will logically find themselves with the ability to enjoy more luxuries (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/luxury). You do not need it. You want it. And if you're not willing to find a way to get a ticket, you must not want it enough. Ditch the sense of entitlement.

Little_Miss_1565
06-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Does anyone have anything new to offer this argument? Anyone? Bueller?

brothadave79
06-08-2009, 05:32 PM
Does anyone have anything new to offer this argument? Anyone? Bueller?

It's like an auction of half-baked arguments.

RyanSabotage
06-08-2009, 05:44 PM

agreed

i dont give a fuck, im still broke and i still managed to gather 100 bucks atleast to score 2 tickets, its america dude, just bum change if you really wanted to go

Quagmire
06-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Shit when I bought these tickets I wasn't thinking about how expensive they were I was actually thinking how "relatively" cheap they were. My Green Day tickets were $59 a ticket, Metallica were $86 a ticket. The Offspring charging $40 a ticket aren't exactly raping their fans.

KHWHD
06-08-2009, 06:02 PM
The Offspring charging $40 a ticket aren't exactly raping their fans.

Did you pay $40 (all taxes incl.) for yours?

mat.kc.
06-08-2009, 06:06 PM
Unreasonable prices? What the fuck? I paid 50 bucks for a FRONT ROW ticket. How is that unreasonable? Green Day tickets here, floor, are starting at 100 bucks for an even remotely close section to floor. Heaven forbid that stadium and venues need to keep their businesses running, and still manage to give you an affordable price for tickets like the Offspring.

People bitch too much. I'm poor too, we all are. Suck it the fuck up you little baby.

PS.) Topic should be locked.

Forman
06-08-2009, 06:09 PM
What is the biggest problem is the bullshit ticketmaster charges and "convenience fees". In my mind, if I am buying my tickets online myself, and printing them off myself, exactly why should I be paying YOU? I am saving ticketmaster the hassle of printing tickets for me, sending them to me, employing someone at a ticketmaster booth somewhere, etc. Horseshit.

Also, I have seen people talking about poor sales, but is that taking into account the fact that a lot of people don't buy CD's anymore? How are their sales in terms of online single and album purchases? Measuring success in terms of hard copies sold isn't exactly accurate anymore

Llamas
06-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Yeah, Ticketmaster is a bunch of shit. I hate them. Which just makes it more infuriating that people are upset at the Offspring. And not everyone is punk enough to boycott the business that sells their tickets and helps them earn money.

Americana98
06-08-2009, 07:28 PM

No, there's no explanation needed because $40's perfectly reasonable for concert prices in this day and age. End of story. You look at other big bands and $40's perfectly average, if not slightly cheaper. Again, The Offspring need to make up for poor album sales, as was said. It's safe to say that the label didn't make a killing on Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace. If you don't like these "unreasonable" ticket prices then you might as well stop going to live shows because that's just how it works now. This is what they cost. This is what the labels need to charge to stay in business. Deal with it.

Quagmire
06-08-2009, 07:51 PM
Did you pay $40 (all taxes incl.) for yours?

I can't really remember it was probably closer to 50. All I know is seeing as how I was buying Metallica and Green Day tickets in the same month The Offspring price seemed pretty reasonable to me.

KHWHD
06-08-2009, 08:15 PM
I can't really remember it was probably closer to 50. All I know is seeing as how I was buying Metallica and Green Day tickets in the same month The Offspring price seemed pretty reasonable to me.

Ah ok. What seat/s did you get for that price?

Edit: For The Offspring ticket.

Cock Joke
06-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Green Day's playing somewhere on July 29th. I think the tickets are $100 something...for a "decent" seat. There is just no way I'm paying that.

WebDudette
06-08-2009, 08:47 PM
I think what a lot of people need to understand is that the Offspring isn't here to meet your every fucking whim and request. You know why they don't play multiple dates in one area? Because touring is fucking exhausting. You know why they have a set-list full of hits? Because the majority of the people going to see them know and love those songs. You know why they charge $40 dollars for a ticket? Because people will pay that, because large venues are expensive, because dozens of people have to be paid when the Offspring play 1 show, because people no longer buy albums.

I'm not about to spend $40 on an Offspring ticket. I'm not about to spend $40 dollars on pretty much any ticket. But that is a whole different story.

jpstoner
06-08-2009, 08:52 PM
what is the most anyone here has EVER paid for a concert ticket?
( please denote face value and scalper price)

it is Ok to say "you heard of" someone paying, just in case it is way too much to admit.

Beaker
06-08-2009, 09:28 PM
The most i payed was $150 aus, but it was a festival and our dollar sux. :D

i aint gunna winge about prices though, all famous bands charge that much, i didn't expect any less. pluss you would be so supprised how much i would pay to see them live.:)

jpstoner
06-08-2009, 10:54 PM
I heard people paid $453.00 ( face value ) for center section floor seats when the Rolling Stones opened their last world tour at Fenway Park in Boston on August 21, 2005.

WebDudette
06-08-2009, 10:58 PM
I know a kid who spent... I believe it was $200 something for a pretty good Depeche Mode ticket.

jpstoner
06-08-2009, 11:12 PM
I just took a look at NBA finals tickets on ebay.

http://tickets.shop.ebay.com/items/Tickets__laker-finals?_catref=1&_fln=1&_mdo=&_sacat=1305&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

$500.00 - 10,000.00millionbillionkazillion Dollars,
At some point, does it matter what you call it?
Ten thousand Dollars or Ten trillionMazillionDollars, same thing, fkn crazy.

Lets see, buy a car, or go to a 3 hour basketball game? hmmm..tough call.

At least at a concert, you know your team will win.

WebDudette
06-08-2009, 11:19 PM
I am a multi-millionaire, I have half a dozen cars, and I quite enjoy basketball. 10k is nothing to some people.

Llamas
06-08-2009, 11:21 PM
People pay thousands to see Hannah Montana.

The most I've ever paid is $40, to see Offspring and also Goo Goo Dolls. I don't really like to pay a lot for concerts... most of the shows I go to are small time bands and singers that play in places where you sit and order drinks. I'd only pay more than $40 if it was like a 3 hour concert (if I could afford it, I'd totally pay to go see like Fleetwood Mac or something... hell yeah).