PDA

View Full Version : 1 Year Later

Ultimetalhead
06-10-2009, 03:06 PM
I remember reactions to RAFRAG were extremely positive when the album came out. So, what's your opinion of it now that it has sunk in? Does it hold up to the rest of the discography?

My personal opinion is yes. I was incredibly excited for this album, and when it came out, I was addicted to it. After letting it sink in for a while, this may be their best album since Americana. I don't believe there's a bad song on the album. (Though Fix You and Rise and Fall have some weak spots) It's very consistent, and it has some great vocals, and some awesome guitar playing.

Can't wait for the next one. :cool:

Rutegard
06-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Can't wait for the next one. :cool:

oh, this is SO true!!

Oxygene
06-10-2009, 03:13 PM
me three rafrag is brilliant still and will be in 10 20 and a gazillion years

Rooster
06-10-2009, 03:13 PM
I thought it was my favorite Offspring album back then (closely followed by Ixnay), and i still think so now. Haven't got tired of it, excellent album.

brothadave79
06-10-2009, 03:15 PM
It still trumps Ixnay as my favorite Offspring album. I still love the lyrics, the hooks, the bridges - every part of almost every song seems to fit together so neatly. What craftsmen! :D

EDIT: or I could have just said "ditto" to Raptor, haha!

Free?
06-10-2009, 03:23 PM
What? A one year has already passed?! Damn, time's so fast. I still have that problem with RAFRAG - when it starts I have to listen it till the end. It has no weak songs, it's ways more addictive than Co1 or Splinter to me. What a great album!

bouncingcoles
06-10-2009, 03:31 PM
the first half the album comes out strong but it weakens soon after. Kristy is a fairly enjoyable song although cheesy as hell. and fix you has some good ideas but the chorus is so god damn cheesy i just cant take it seriously. Rise and fall is an alright song. Nothingtown is alright as well although iv heard a million songs about that same subject and it just gets old to me. otherwise the rest of the album is pretty good. better than splinter but that isnt saying much. i admit i was a bit disappointed with it. but hell im going to see them at 3 shows next month.

findout5
06-10-2009, 03:34 PM
It's a great album from start to finish!
Obviously, I want the next one to be even better!

RonWelty
06-10-2009, 03:46 PM
It's a fine album, their best between 2000 and 2009. IN other hand, can't beat their previous years. But it's a fine upgrade from their two previous albums.

Human
06-10-2009, 03:50 PM
It was an alright album, I enjoyed it but it sounds a bit generic, I think they were trying to either create a new sound or get back the old one, and it just didn't really work. A few of the songs sound a lot like Greenday to me as well. So although the songs were good, it could have been better and I wouldn't put it at the top of my list despite Offspring being my favorite band. Disappointing really.

nameless
06-10-2009, 03:52 PM
i like the album but havent really played it as much as i did like when the other albums came out! it seemed they made an attempt to step away from the tried and tested songs but not so much that they werent staying true to their sound!

chicapowerpunk
06-10-2009, 03:58 PM
I remember reactions to RAFRAG were extremely positive when the album came out. So, what's your opinion of it now that it has sunk in? Does it hold up to the rest of the discography?

Hard criticism...????mmmmmm
I hope ........new disc........:D;)

Alison
06-10-2009, 04:16 PM
I was mega excited. Although I remember I bought it in Zavvi, and then looked in HMV and it was like 5 cheaper...oh well!
And it came out the day before my birthday as far as I remember...so it was good timing :)

T_immortal
06-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Wow, a year already, time flies don't it? Especially when you've got an album like RAFRAG spinning around in your player. While this album definitely has more lasting power than Splinter or CO1, I can't help but feel that there was a bit of missed potential, especially in the latter half of the album not being able to back up the sheer majesty of the first 5 songs, although they were still good in their own right. And it seems crazy that there's already serious discussion (amongst us AND from the band members) about a new album as early as next year. I'll take that with a heaping of salt, but if that ends up being true, that would be epic!

All said and done though, RAFRAG is a winner, though not the face cruncher it could have been if the whole album had carried along the benchmark set by the first half of the album (more so the first 5 songs). Tied for my second favorite Offspring album, with Ixnay (Ignition being first :))

Llamas
06-10-2009, 04:54 PM
I think they were trying to either create a new sound or get back the old one, and it just didn't really work.

Hmm, this didn't make any sense to me. What other options are there besides trying to create a new sound or get back the old one? Also, how can you not be sure which one it is when they are such polar opposites?

Anyway, anyone who saw my thread a month or two ago knows what I think. RFRG is my favorite Offspring album. Even if it's not the most consistent of theirs, it's the most unique and diverse... that's huge for me. I struggle these days to listen to an album all the way through that's the same kind of sound/genre from start to end. RFRG succeeded in not being that kind of album.

Outerspaceman21
06-10-2009, 05:51 PM
I loved when it came out and I still like it. It doesn't trump my favorite album (Smash) but I still really like it. I really enjoyed Splinter dark, hardcore sound, but the alternative direction was a good move. Really shows their mature side.

SuperKnux
06-10-2009, 06:07 PM
It is still a fantastic record. I felt it was a step in the right direction then, and I still feel the same.

My only small grip with the album has been the same grip I had with it when it was released and that's the actual recording of it. The whole loudness/clipping is the only small negative that I give RAFRAG.

Other than that, it's fuckin' kick ass.

randman21
06-10-2009, 06:22 PM
My only small grip with the album has been the same grip I had with it when it was released and that's the actual recording of it. The whole loudness/clipping is the only small negative that I give RAFRAG.

You must really hate Smash then!

Now that the dust has settled, it is one of my favorites. Maybe third, after Americana and Ignition, but as I said in another thread, it has been the most influential to me. I've really opened up to a lot of different kinds of music since its release.

StayInTheHouseCarl
06-10-2009, 06:34 PM
even after a year, it rarely leaves my car stereo

brothadave79
06-10-2009, 06:48 PM
Hmm, this didn't make any sense to me. What other options are there besides trying to create a new sound or get back the old one? Also, how can you not be sure which one it is when they are such polar opposites?

Hmm, I assumed Human meant they were stuck between the two and so the product seemed a little muddled to her. Unless I'm wrong. It happens.

Pablo_Asturias
06-10-2009, 07:21 PM
Wow time passes so fast. I remember trucks had been on strike for over 2 weeks in Spain when their new record come out and I had to seek it out.

I think it's a very cool cd, but they need to compose more energetic songs, like "The meaning of life".

They totally blew it with "Let's hear it for rock bottom". After 45 seconds, they seem to me like a couple of brats singing, but it's only my opinion.

Saludos and sorry for my mistakes.

FaQZz
06-10-2009, 08:09 PM
a famous poet said " The past is over but tomorrow's wishful thinking"
and it's true, i can't belive it right now. in my country we were with the album and waiting they to come, it was so exiting. Also i met my girlfriend at the show :o
Talking about RAFRAG i fell in love with the first four song in the moment .that i listened to them, then i started slowly to like the rest of the songs

Now i love rafrag, its a great album and surely the next album is going to be on the same line.

"im triying to resist it but i cant"

Cock Joke
06-10-2009, 08:14 PM
I still listen to the whole thing from time to time. It is their best work in years.

jacknife737
06-10-2009, 09:00 PM
I fell in love with it after my first listen, last year; and if anything my opinion has even increased since I've recently decided that A Lot Like Me is great, and not merely mediocre.

The Search Button
06-11-2009, 01:45 AM
This album sucks, because it's only Amazing.

TheOffspring is capable of better.

I know they are!

the_real_potomek
06-11-2009, 03:46 AM
I still think RAFRAG is a great album, and I probably love it even more than year ago.

mrs_hollandova
06-11-2009, 06:31 AM
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh308/Kar105s/The_Offspring_-_Rise_and_Fall_Rage_.jpg

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm22/wonder_lick/Hearts/h3art67.gif

Harleyquiiinn
06-11-2009, 06:43 AM
hmm, as I said before, I started listening to The Offspring this autumn and I found this "greatest hits" torrent except that I realize that it wasn't the album, it was just a mix so there was Hammerhead and you're gonna go far Kid.

I had no idea that Hammerhead was the last album but i immediately thought it was a classic song :D

Now that I know the different albums, I think RAFRAG is a good album. Maybe not my favorite but I started to listen to the Offspring because I needed to be boosted and most of the songs are a bit slower. I really don't like Fix you and I think that the intro of A Lot Like Me is cheesy (unlike the rest of the song, that I like.

I really like Trust in You now.

GunForHire
06-11-2009, 05:17 PM
Loved it - still do. I remember the excitement when the tracks started going up on imeem and being blown away right from the start.

Beaker
06-12-2009, 12:30 AM
still love it, wanna see it played live though. :)

IamSam
06-12-2009, 12:53 AM
I fell in love with it after my first listen, last year; and if anything my opinion has even increased since I've recently decided that A Lot Like Me is great, and not merely mediocre.

This.

That will be all.

Offspring-Junkie
06-12-2009, 01:18 AM
Good album, still like Ixnay better and don't like Rise and Fall (song).

Hypodermic_89
06-12-2009, 02:28 AM
One year later, this is still the best Offspring album.

ad8
06-12-2009, 04:41 AM
I think it's a very good album, but I still like Ixnay, Smash and Americana better. The first three songs off RAFRAG are definately in my all time Offspring favourite top ten list, though.