PDA

View Full Version : One year ago today...

Oxygene
06-13-2009, 09:11 AM
Those of you who know me, know I have one other artist in life I am as a passionate fan of as I am the Offspring.

His name is George Carlin

One year ago today on Friday the 13th June 2008 was the last time I ever saw him perform, and was his second to last show ever before his death. It was at the orleans hotel in Las Vegas, and the only reason I travelled to Las Vegas from Budapest was to see him live. To be 100% truthful, I started planning a trip to see him tape his HBO special it's bad for ya in California, and it never came through, but the people I was talking to about going on the trip then wanted to go to Vegas and I couldn't really get out of it, and we ended up going on a weekend when George was playing vegas. It's a complicated story, but that's the bottom line, I went because of him.

I watched him perform, and he was on top of his game. After the show and a standing ovation after the theater had cleared out mostly there was a group of black people mostly guys who had called over a stage hand / or manager and asked him to go backstage and ask George for an autograph, which he did and brought them out an autograph. I walked up to the dude and said told him I had come from Europe to see the man, and I am a huge fan and if he could help me out. He turned me down, so I left.

On the flight back from Vegas was the first time I was able to truly and thoroughly listen to the RAFRAG album, and the break down in Shit is Fucked Up. And I immediately thought of this, and how great minds think alike:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkCR-w3AYOE

About a week later George Carlin died of heart failure.

One year ago today I sat very front row center and was one of the handful of lucky few who could see one of his last - and one of his best performances ever.

Because he got better with every performance.

Outerspaceman21
06-13-2009, 10:19 AM
Went out still performing.

Jules69
06-14-2009, 02:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmXacL0Uny0 He is missed!!! He was a real genius!!!!!:(

Grimesy da Offspringfan
06-14-2009, 02:50 PM
He was an amazing person. Such a shame how good people who don't deserve it die, and fucktards get to live

Harleyquiiinn
06-14-2009, 03:17 PM
I didn't know George Carlin at all but this video was great ! :D