PDA

View Full Version : So, the oceans are rising

Al Coholic
06-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Ice in the polar regions melt at an exponential rate. At the current rate they'll rise a good 20 ft or so, burying coastal cities and destroying unfathomable amounts of property.

Yet nobody seems that worried.

brothadave79
06-15-2009, 05:32 PM
I think we should be VERY worried:

http://www.starz.com/titles/Waterworld/PublishingImages/waterworld_1995_685x385.jpg

Outerspaceman21
06-15-2009, 05:35 PM
No.... NOT KEVIN COSTNER!!!!!

Llamas
06-15-2009, 10:38 PM
brothadave, I really like you, man.

ad8
06-16-2009, 04:07 AM
Global warming was interesting back in the day when we didn't have no swine influenza and economy crisis yet.

Free?
06-16-2009, 04:15 AM
I don't know much, I don't know too much...
But I know this:

Rutegard
06-16-2009, 05:14 AM
Ice in the polar regions melt at an exponential rate. At the current rate they'll rise a good 20 ft or so, burying coastal cities and destroying unfathomable amounts of property.

y do u even say that?!?!?!?!
it's so unfair!! i do worry! a lil bit. sometimes.

now seriously, no one cares because we are not meant to care. does this make any sense?

Free?
06-16-2009, 09:01 AM
y do u even say that?!?!?!?!
it's so unfair!! i do worry! a lil bit. sometimes.

now seriously, no one cares because we are not meant to care. does this make any sense?

Im not the one who made the world what it is today
Im not the one who caused the problems started long ago
But now I deal with all the consequence that troubles our times
I carry on and never once have even questioned why

Im innocent
But the weight of the world is on my shoulders
Im innocent
But the battles started are far from over

Were not the ones who leave the homeless in the streets at night
Were not the ones whove kept minorities and women down
Still we grow and then the problems they become our own
We carry on without even realizing why

Were innocent
But the weight of the world is on our shoulders
Were innocent
But the battles left us are far from over

Were not the ones whose pollution blackened our skies
And ruined our streams
Were not the ones who made the nuclear bombs
That threaten our lives
Were not the ones who let the children starve in faraway lands
Were not the ones who made the streets unsafe to walk at night

And even if we try and not become so overwhelmed
And if we make some contribution to the plight we see
Still our descendents will inherit our mistakes of today
Theyll suffer just the same as we and never wonder why

Rutegard
06-16-2009, 09:57 AM
well, exactly :)

Smash_Returns
06-16-2009, 10:40 AM
Al Gore and Ralph Nader do all of my worrying for me.

Rooster
06-16-2009, 10:44 AM
It would happen sooner or later, with or without all the CO2 released in the atmosphere by human activity.

It sucks, but that's just how it is.

brothadave79
06-16-2009, 10:55 AM
This is such a fascinating topic. Do you realise London is gonna sink in the Channel come a century or two? I'm so glad I've already visited it.

Because in a couple hundred years you won't be able to?

drummerbecca
06-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Were you planning on living for another couple of hundred years?

Rutegard
06-16-2009, 12:32 PM
Were you planning on living for another couple of hundred years?

didnt u hear? shes immortal!

Rutegard
06-16-2009, 12:48 PM
I'll die young and beautiful. Like others before me.

by drowning?

brothadave79
06-16-2009, 01:54 PM
didnt u hear? shes immortal!

"I detest life-insurance agents: they always argue that I shall some day die, which is not so." - Stephen B. Leacock

NGNM85
06-17-2009, 03:38 PM
An Update on Democracy Now!:"A new report by the Obama administration says global warming is "unequivocal and primarily human-induced. The Washington Post reports the study details how climate change will affect certain parts of the United States. In the Northeast, the heaviest rainstorms have become 67 percent heavier since 1958, as warmer weather evaporates more water vapor into the atmosphere to feed storm clouds. Around the Great Lakes, snowstorms could get heavier as ice recedes and exposes more open water. By 2100, parts of the South could experience 150 days a year with temperatures higher than ninety degrees." Also the other day I heard a quote from Stephen Hawking saying something to the effect of, if this is how we're going to treat the planet, we should be investing substiantial energy in finding another one. The Obama plan while more ambitious than anything the republicans have to offer is woefully inadequate. It's time to take climate change seriously, all our futures could depend on it.

Omni
06-18-2009, 03:24 PM
And as humans, I think we're just reactive instead of proactive by our lazy ass nature. At least today, anyway

wheelchairman
06-18-2009, 04:03 PM
Hey, I'm proactive and forward thinking!

Al Coholic
06-19-2009, 08:46 AM
I don't really get acne, so I don't need proactive.

But the water rising, that's something.

Al Coholic
06-24-2009, 11:51 PM
It's not that hard but the water's gotta be really shallow.

SweetTatyana
06-25-2009, 10:15 AM
There have been studies going on since the 70s now about the sea ice composition in the polar basin decreasing and experiencing earlier break up in the spring and later freeze in the winter. One study I read a little while back used satellite to study ice loss from the 70s to mid 90s and found that about 3% of arctic ice melts per decade (and its something like 35,000km2/yr we're losing i can't remember exactly).

This is the problem with the polar bears everyone is talking about, less sea-ice composition and hunting season duration leaves them with less fats stores to last their fasting, summer season. Polar bear numbers are decreasing rapidly as well as their range is moving more south in a search for food and bear-people interaction is increasing, causing further problems for the polar bear because people shoot or harvest them. A lot of species who live on arctic ice are range restricted and are probably experiencing the same problems, heavily increasing their vulnerability as a species.

The problem is, nobody really knows what to do. Regular conservation methods like reducing our output will surely help but a lot of damage has been done and it will take a lot of funding and time to fix the damage in the atmosphere. We would also have to most of the world on board.

Smash_Returns
06-30-2009, 11:57 AM
Problem: Water levels rising, we need a solution to cope with the water.

Solution: To allow water walking, we GREATLY increase our pollution output until the water is saturated to the point that it is denser than a human. Certain extremely salty water bodies (such as the Dead Sea) already allow greatly increased buoyancy in the water. We just need to exacerbate that effect.

RyanSabotage
07-02-2009, 11:34 PM
let california fall into the fuckin ocean
-tim armstrong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk0EqaQ_NT8

Emily_offspring_fan
07-23-2009, 07:34 PM
We are not that innocent. We all have a part of the fault, some more and some less. Of course if all the big industries that cause all the pollution started doing something to prevent that, the world would "recover". But we, individually, can do something little and make the difference, and, at least, feel less guilty or worried. Why do I say that we all have the fault? Because that industries need us (consumers) and if nobody bought their products, they would not exist simply. But as I said, we can do something. For example, this (http://www.50waystohelp.com/).

SMASHedTHEignition
07-31-2009, 08:25 PM
the oceans are rising...hmmm

Beaker
08-30-2009, 04:46 PM
i quiet like lobsters so give em more ocean,

chicapowerpunk
09-25-2009, 04:26 PM

Exactly dear Alcholic!!!! but why???..........is more importance the money and capitalist doctrines:confused::eek:

greetethomas
10-21-2009, 10:59 PM
Hello Friends,
The discussion going around here is very very serious and important..... if we don't thing about it today then, in the near future there will be no time left to save ourselves.
Its the biggest fact of NATURE...
Its true that due to excessive global warming the glaciers have started melting and as a result of which water level in the oceans have started raising....If don't take proper preventive measures all the coastal regions will get submerged in water...and very arise scarcity of land for us to LIVE.

RageAndLov
10-22-2009, 01:51 AM
I don't understand how a bot from the UK manages to write so poor English.

wheelchairman
10-22-2009, 07:51 AM
Because its from the UK. Have you heard them talk?

RageAndLov
10-22-2009, 08:10 AM
Because its from the UK. Have you heard them talk?

I have, and they speak really good English.

wheelchairman
10-22-2009, 08:32 AM
Heh, what would a Norwegian know about really good English though? :D

Hypno Toad
10-30-2009, 10:14 PM
Don't know about you guys, but I'm safe far over 4 meters above sea level :)

D.spuck
11-28-2009, 05:32 PM
I think everyone got used to the bad and even worse news. What else can go wrong now, I guess not much. Are we at the bottom?