PDA

View Full Version : Soldiers love Hammerhead!

Hound6
06-17-2009, 09:53 AM
I work for a non-profit that helps Soldiers deal with combat stress, called NotAlone.com
We're making some videos with some kick-a$$ combat footage to try to get more Soldiers to view the site and we're hoping to get permission to use Hammerhead in the background. Anybody know how I go about doing that? Thanks!

randman21
06-17-2009, 10:01 AM
^...

I can't say I'm entirely sure how to go about doing this. It shouldn't be a hard thing to find out if you look it up. Where's harleyquiiin when you need her?! She would know. :D

Glad to hear that soldiers like the song.

randman21
06-17-2009, 10:03 AM
Wow. Really?

Way to be respectful to those who put their lives on the line for others...
Trust me, don't even go there...

Harleyquiiinn
06-17-2009, 10:06 AM
I work for a non-profit that helps Soldiers deal with combat stress, called NotAlone.com
We're making some videos with some kick-a$$ combat footage to try to get more Soldiers to view the site and we're hoping to get permission to use Hammerhead in the background. Anybody know how I go about doing that? Thanks!

Yep.

You have to clear the rights.

First you have to find who is the Publisher and who is the Producer.

Go to www.allmusic.com

Usually they have the right informations. I think the producer of Offspring is Columbia which is Sony right ?
or you can look at the back of the CD

Then you call each of them.

Basically, the Publisher is the one who takes care of author rights (the person who wrote the songs) and the Producer is the one taking care of the CD/interpretation (the one who sings).
Even if it is the same person, he usually has a different contract for both of it.

So, you tell each of them that you want to synchronize the music on a video and they will give you an evaluation of the price, every company has its own way to evaluate.
Usually very expensive. And usually, exactly the same price for the publisher rights and the producer rights (that is called the "Most Favored Nation" Clause.. they call each other)

Now there is a difference between France and US. In France, we have to ask for the artist authorization no matter what. I know that Author rights in the US are less protective of the author so maybe they won't even have to and you will have your answer pretty fast.

After that, once you agreed on the price, they will send you a contract that will tell you exactly what you can do with the song. How many seconds you can use, where, how things like that.

Advice :

- Do not hesitate to negociate the price. What you can do is explain that it is for charity, that you won't use it everywhere but on a precise website, that you are not going to send it away on youtube, etc. It should reduce the price.
- If the producer/publisher says no or if the price stays too expensive, what you can do is trying to contact the artist. Here Dexter Holland. It is a difficult thing to do but in countries where they don't have to ask the artists it can work.

Example: I had that request once for a song by an english artist and we transmitted the request to the GB record company which said no. The filmmaker went to a concert, managed to talk to the artist and we received a mail 2 days later telling us (the french record company) that we could clear the rights.

Harleyquiiinn
06-17-2009, 10:08 AM
^...

I can't say I'm entirely sure how to go about doing this. It shouldn't be a hard thing to find out if you look it up. Where's harleyquiiin when you need her?! She would know. :D

Glad to hear that soldiers like the song.

:D Right here, right here.

By the way Hound, welcome !

SweetTatyana
06-17-2009, 10:09 AM
Wow. Really?

Way to be respectful to those who put their lives on the line for others...

Yeah, seriously, show some respect!

Oxygene
06-17-2009, 10:10 AM
NO

Fuck all soldiers

Fuck that

Soldiers go in harms way to protect the freedom of their people and loved ones. You don't have to agree with their objectives but they risk their lives for the people they love.

They desereved to be honored for that.

This coming from someone who hates war and despises the bush administrations foreign policy.

Biatka soldiers in free nations aren't the same as the retarded disgusting snitches we used to have back in the soviet bloc.

Harleyquiiinn
06-17-2009, 10:17 AM
Hmm you know, being in favor of soldiers/army or not isn't really the question here...

Hound6 is talking about supporting soldiers who went there and are upset. It is just about helping people... really....

Not that I like the army much but I think Hound6 is doing a good thing: I'd rather have an unstressed soldier than a crazy soldier.

But I ...uh ... I have trouble understanding the point of showing combat images to fight combat stress ? :confused:

Titus
06-17-2009, 11:13 AM

Good luck with that, once you did that, make sure to post the video here...

I have seen some videos about it and I really enjoyed, specialy this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUcJ4EHPKes&feature=related

Harleyquiiinn
06-17-2009, 02:02 PM
As I said, I don't like the army either, but the people who are there, well, they do have a difficult job and I don't think that anyone joins the army to use a shiny gun and kill people.

I had huge fights and arguments with an old friend about joining the army or not. He finally joined and he is in Afghanistan now. He did this because he thought that being in the army was meant to help people. I don't approve the army in general but I still hope that nothing happens to him.

And if he comes back traumatized, I hope that he finds some help...

It's not all black and white... did any of you actually checked the website ? It's about helping people and families to deal with the trauma...I think this is a good sign, that soldiers need comfort. It means that they are not killing machines.

Still Hound6, I really don't understand why you would put combat footage for that. Can you explain ?

randman21
06-17-2009, 05:22 PM
Why is everyone trying to reason with irrational people? They know the difference between hating the war and hating the soldier. They hate the soldier.

weezly
06-18-2009, 04:31 AM
i wouldnt say i hate soliders, but i dont respect 1 thing about what there doing over in iraq, i do feel sad they were bullshitted 2 and are told never to ? anything... yeppppp gotta love g bush jr!
i feel for them in the fact the die for (what i consider) nothing except to quench americas thirst for oil, or that they believe in that.
bottom line is, u cant just go around killing people 'john conor' and i mean anyone iraq's or americans.
i would not disrespect a soldier if i meet 1, maybe i wanna no what they thought about the whole deal, but that it.
if i meet bush, i would slap him silly.

Grimesy da Offspringfan
06-18-2009, 04:45 AM
i wouldnt say i hate soliders, but i dont respect 1 thing about what there doing over in iraq, i do feel sad they were bullshitted 2 and are told never to ? anything... yeppppp gotta love g bush jr!
i feel for them in the fact the die for (what i consider) nothing except to quench americas thirst for oil, or that they believe in that.
bottom line is, u cant just go around killing people 'john conor' and i mean anyone iraq's or americans.
i would not disrespect a soldier if i meet 1, maybe i wanna no what they thought about the whole deal, but that it.

I have a lot of soldier friends, hell, i was even thinking about being a soldier, and they're trying to help people, they make friends in Iraq with the people they want to protect. Like i said before, don't hate the soldier, hate the big military leaders who don't care what happens in the frontlines to the people. For example, what the hungarian military leaders are doing is just ridiculous.

Free?
06-18-2009, 07:01 AM
I have a lot of soldier friends, hell, i was even thinking about being a soldier, and they're trying to help people, they make friends in Iraq with the people they want to protect. Like i said before, don't hate the soldier, hate the big military leaders who don't care what happens in the frontlines to the people. For example, what the hungarian military leaders are doing is just ridiculous.

At this point you should go back to topic and ask yourself, what Hammerhead is about and who is the Hammerhead? A tool that doesn't think and hesitate, just follows the orders (justified or not). Don't blame me, I'm just doing what I'm told. That's the excuse you're using here, the same one as the narrator uses in the song.
The bottom line is - don't generalize as if every soldier/commander was the same and everyone is responsible for his actions, even if they were an order.

Why 'John Connor'? He wasn't much of a killing machine.

bighead384
06-18-2009, 08:59 AM
This band was entertaining the idea of performing for the troops (saw this in a fairly recent interview with Noodles). I don't know what became of that, but they'd probably be happy to help.

Dragnet
06-18-2009, 10:17 AM
My posts were deleted? That's embarrassing, fuck this board!

KHWHD
06-18-2009, 10:40 AM

That's ok. So was mine. I had 1 reply and it's gone for some reason. :confused:

IamSam
06-18-2009, 10:47 AM
Apparently people have forgotten that Hammerhead is about a school shooter, ala the Virginia Tech shooter.

Dragnet
06-18-2009, 10:47 AM
Well, okay then. Way to go!

Harleyquiiinn
06-18-2009, 11:08 AM
Yes it seems that a lot of them were, but a lot of these messages were pretty harsh.... I don't understand why the one from Dragnet was erased considering that there was no insults in it (if I am not mistaken) but whatever...:confused:

Just a quick reflexion: when you erase insulting messages but you don't edit the messages quoting them, you kind of missing your goal, right ? :D

Disclaimer: This is no reproach to the mods. Just meant as a joke.

Little_Miss_1565
06-18-2009, 11:34 AM

That's ok. So was mine. I had 1 reply and it's gone for some reason. :confused:

Yes it seems that a lot of them were, but a lot of these messages were pretty harsh.... I don't understand why the one from Dragnet was erased considering that there was no insults in it (if I am not mistaken) but whatever...:confused:

When we clean out BS posts, it's customary to clean out posts that just comment on them or quote them as well. Don't take it personally.

Rutegard
06-18-2009, 11:36 AM
Apparently people have forgotten that Hammerhead is about a school shooter, ala the Virginia Tech shooter.

i kinda felt like quoting u this time!! your post deserved it!

Harleyquiiinn
06-18-2009, 11:53 AM
Oh no Little_Miss, I understood that you deleted my message that was just a comment, that's exactly what I was saying...

You seem to have deleted Ms Hollandova message but you didn't edit the ones where it was quoted. That's all :)

Little_Miss_1565
06-18-2009, 12:00 PM
You seem to have deleted Ms Hollandova message but you didn't edit the ones where it was quoted. That's all :)

Dude, come on...

Grimesy da Offspringfan
06-18-2009, 12:01 PM

I think it's about both school shootings and being a "Hammerhead", who does what he's told, and there's only one reference about school shootings in the whole song, that "And you can all hide behind your desks now, and you can cry teacher come help me" part, the rest of the song is more about what Free? said

IamSam
06-18-2009, 12:38 PM
I think it's about both school shootings and being a "Hammerhead", who does what he's told, and there's only one reference about school shootings in the whole song, that "And you can all hide behind your desks now, and you can cry teacher come help me" part, the rest of the song is more about what Free? said

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the VA Tech shooter was hearing things in his head, ala schizophrenia. Schizophrenics do as the voices tell them when not on meds. That is what that part of the song is about.

Grimesy da Offspringfan
06-18-2009, 12:46 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the VA Tech shooter was hearing things in his head, ala schizophrenia. Schizophrenics do as the voices tell them when not on meds. That is what that part of the song is about.

I didn't know that, sorry

Free?
06-18-2009, 06:01 PM

I haven't heard about the VA Tech shooter, I'd like to point out that the first half of the song holds much wider message than just some schizophrenia. Even though the school-shooter theme is obvious, I'm sure that Hammerhead's main message is not about shooters.