PDA

View Full Version : Atom Willard quits AVA; joins Social Distortion

Omni
06-17-2009, 10:09 AM
qw er ty ui op as df

findout5
06-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Adam's great man! He's a great drummer and in The Offspring he was just a hired live musician, which isn't enough for a musician of his status. I don't blame him at all for the choosing AVA, where he got to play on the records.

Omni
06-17-2009, 10:14 AM
He would have gotten to play on an Offspring record as well, if he had stuck around. That's kind of how it works. His picture was all over the site with the band, so it was obvious he was a "real" member. Being in the Offspring at the same time as AVA was a violation of AVA's contract, so he had to choose.

Oxygene
AVA was shit anyway

randman21
Hate to sound so trendy and happenin' and such, but this is extremely old news. Anyway, I don't have a particular feeling about this. I lean towards liking Social D, but not enough to be happy. I liked Atom as an Offspring member, but that's because he was what I knew first. I've only been a fan for a short while.

brothadave79
06-17-2009, 10:15 AM
Does this mean his recorded material with the Offspring can be released now? I heard the AVA contract blocked this.

Oxygene
06-17-2009, 10:16 AM
AVA contract pathetic fuckheads that whole band

Omni
06-17-2009, 10:16 AM
Hate to sound so trendy and happenin' and such, but this is extremely old news.

It happened less than two months ago.

findout5
06-17-2009, 10:17 AM
Adam was around still for The Greatest Hits record, and they chose to have Josh Freese on the record doing Can't Repeat and Next To You. He supported Splinter live and also GH! Give him a fucking break!

Oxygene
06-17-2009, 10:19 AM
Adam was around still for The Greatest Hits record, and they chose to have Josh Freese on the record doing Can't Repeat and Next To You. He supported Splinter live and also GH! Give him a fucking break!

I like Pete better, he knew who I was the first time we ever met... :p

KHWHD
06-17-2009, 10:21 AM
I was never really a fan of Atom either. I like Pete a lot better and hope he sticks around for a while. :p

findout5
06-17-2009, 10:21 AM
I like Pete better, he knew who I was the first time we ever met... :p

I'm sure he read Moby Dick! Block me as a user.

Oxygene
06-17-2009, 10:24 AM
I'm sure he read Moby Dick! Block me as a user.

Don't kid yourself, you aren't that importat :D

aquila non captat muscas

findout5
06-17-2009, 10:32 AM
Don't kid yourself, you aren't that importat :D

aquila non captat muscas

What's that? I couldn't really hear with all the flushing!

Aquila etiam have sex vestri matris ;)

cool 2 hate 681
06-17-2009, 11:35 AM
i don't think he has officially announced that he quit ava yet he just joined social distortion

Jojan
06-17-2009, 11:39 AM
I'll be seeing Social Distortion next week.
http://www.westcoastriot.se/

dexterone
06-17-2009, 11:53 AM
Atom is an really amazing drummer......He played the Splinter tour as best as he could,and it was awesome.....maybe I say it,because I like The Noose and Long way home,and when I have seen it live,it was great...much better than on album....

Tomasisko
06-17-2009, 11:55 AM
oh come on... Atom is fuckin awesome!

brothadave79
06-17-2009, 11:56 AM
I actually really liked Atom. He was a great performer live, too. I don't get why some people hate on Atom while still longing for Ron's return. His departure from the band was far more bitter - he even complained about his former band members on other forums. Atom was a class guy who did a great job helping them on their tour, and when he left, he did so on far better terms. I don't think he ever did anything uncalled for.

Grimesy da Offspringfan
06-17-2009, 11:57 AM
I liked him, i think he was even better than Ron, and AVA is gay anyway. By the way, didn't he record Can't Repeat?

Smash_Returns
06-17-2009, 12:10 PM
Yeah, he did drums on Can't Repeat. (Or, at least, I'm fairly sure he did, too lazy to pull out the GH and check.)

findout5
06-17-2009, 12:13 PM
Yeah, he did drums on Can't Repeat. (Or, at least, I'm fairly sure he did, too lazy to pull out the GH and check.)

Goddammit guys! I just told ya back a few posts back that Josh did it on CR and NTY!!

Oxygene
06-17-2009, 12:16 PM
he even complained about his former band members on other forums. .

where?
what'd he say?

brothadave79
06-17-2009, 12:22 PM
where?
what'd he say?

I remember people discussing several years ago how he complained about Dexter's level of control within the band and that Ron never really had any creative input for songs. This was a while ago, so I don't remember how it was phrased exactly, and I was never a member of the Steady Ground forums, so maybe someone else can help fill in my memory. I just remember thinking it was kind of toolish of Ron since the band didn't really talk any crap about him.

Smash_Returns
06-17-2009, 01:37 PM
Goddammit guys! I just told ya back a few posts back that Josh did it on CR and NTY!!

Okay, I believe it, as I said, I'm too lazy to go check.

bouncingcoles
06-17-2009, 01:58 PM
adam was great, i miss him

Outerspaceman21
06-17-2009, 02:47 PM
Atom never sat well with me. He's not a bad drummer, but I was still kinda bummed that Ron left the band, so thats why I never liked Atom. Then I hated him when he joined AVA because I hated their music plus the time with AVA was eating up time with the Offspring.

Then Pete joined and I liked him because Face To Face rocked.

nameless
06-17-2009, 03:39 PM
I remember people discussing several years ago how he complained about Dexter's level of control within the band and that Ron never really had any creative input for songs. This was a while ago, so I don't remember how it was phrased exactly, and I was never a member of the Steady Ground forums, so maybe someone else can help fill in my memory. I just remember thinking it was kind of toolish of Ron since the band didn't really talk any crap about him.

i remember reading something similar although it may not have been the same thing your thinking of, someone wrote a rather frustrated post in the band members section about him leaving and he replied saying it was nice to be part of something where the music was written as a band!

on a seperate note, i cant understand why people have it in for atom all of a sudden - well, ive got an idea actually! - when he joined the offspring he was the greatest thing to happen to them, now he has left people start saying they never liked him!

brothadave79
06-17-2009, 03:42 PM
i remember reading something similar although it may not have been the same thing your thinking of, someone wrote a rather frustrated post in the band members section about him leaving and he replied saying it was nice to be part of something where the music was written as a band!

Maybe that's all it was. It was a while ago, and those forums are dead. :(

jacknife737
06-17-2009, 04:22 PM
1) All this talk about Atom not being allowed to record while he was with the band due to contract violations, is hearsay until I actually read an article/statement that claims this is so. I'm pretty sure the band at the time of the Can't Repeat recording just wasn't sure if he was going to stay in the band, thus it was handled by Freese.

2) I don't think it's fair to criticize him for joining Social Distortion, considering that AVA is essentially defunct.

3) Not liking Atom, for replacing Ron is silly. He had nothing to do with Ron leaving the band.

Jojan
06-17-2009, 04:53 PM
Rest in peace...

http://www.jakesoffspring.com/site/images/ronleaves.jpg

Little_Miss_1565
06-17-2009, 05:31 PM
Can anyone explain to me how it is possible to have any valid negative feelings against a drummer doing his job? Some of you talk like Atom stole your dog.

cool 2 hate 681
06-17-2009, 06:17 PM
it took me a while to get used to him as the drummer of the offspring warped tour 2005 to be exact but by the next year he was already gone:(

Beheaded
06-18-2009, 12:57 AM
I saw him yesterday at the Social Distortion concert in Dusseldorf. Great. Still lovely.:)

Oxygene
06-18-2009, 01:03 AM
I've never had an issue with him.. I don't hold him so high for leaving Offspring for a steaming pile of dogshit, makes him seem a bit ungrateful, but on the flip side Pete was a good choice off the bat. I like his style. Atom rocked he was a huge energy bomb on stage and I liked that.. him playing the Neocon intro with the spot light backlit thing is permanently engraved into my mind..

I still find Pete a better fit.

Grimesy da Offspringfan
06-18-2009, 01:41 AM
I think Ron was kinda sloppy, he didn't look like he was having fun doing his job, but i could see Atom enjoyed his time in the band, he was having fun with Noodles on stage etc.

sneedo83
06-18-2009, 01:54 AM
I think Ron was kinda sloppy, he didn't look like he was having fun doing his job, but i could see Atom enjoyed his time in the band, he was having fun with Noodles on stage etc.

See, I have a feeling he was the tightest drummer they ever had, a bit boring and simplistic but real right, sounded like a studio recording every night, Atom was the polar opposite, played wildly played hard.. I feel like Pete is in between the two, probably the least talented of the three but he is still far better than I could ever be.

RobinoZombie
06-18-2009, 03:12 AM
Going too see Social, Pennywise, Living end amongst other next thursday!

Zee
06-18-2009, 03:51 AM
Sorry, my eyes couldn't fold seeing Dexter is online, and he was looking at this thread. Hehe, it was not even the first time... some reports previously stated that he looked every Atom/Social Distortion related thread from Other Bands section too. This is in an interesting subject to him... conclusion; Atom will make a comeback once again at some point, Dexter's just curious what his fans think about Atom, can he be takeable to the band anymore. :D

Hombre
06-18-2009, 06:33 AM
Yeah,Atom was very funny drummer.I love Ron,because he played drums on 6 records.Even on his first record he did great job.Of course,he was a little boring on concerts,but i think he just have this kind of temper.Greg is also not very crazy,he is just pendulum.Oops,he was pendulum...
I'm glad,that Social Distortion have a new drummer.They deserve it.

randman21
06-18-2009, 06:58 PM
Greg is also not very crazy,he is just pendulum.

Is that a reference to Greg's penis?

Maria Cortez
06-18-2009, 07:11 PM
more power to ya, atom willard. :) :) :) :)

Omni
06-18-2009, 08:44 PM
Can anyone explain to me how it is possible to have any valid negative feelings against a drummer doing his job? Some of you talk like Atom stole your dog.

The "band whore" comment of my original post was a joke, and the rest was me saying he didn't really feel like part of the band to me. I he posted on the Forums once, and he actually sounded pretty dumb, compared to Dexter and Noodles. I don't hate the guy for doing his job, I just didn't see him as a real member of the band, when he was being advertised as such.

You didn't have to edit my post, that shits far more fucking annoying than any "OMG WE HATE ADAM!!1" shit.

Little_Miss_1565
06-18-2009, 11:02 PM
You didn't have to edit my post, that shits far more fucking annoying than any "OMG WE HATE ADAM!!1" shit.

Well, I guess that's where you and I disagree. I didn't think it was too much to ask that people have a little respect of the band and the people who used to be in said band.