PDA

View Full Version : Running.

T-6005
06-17-2009, 02:40 PM
Does anyone here run on a regular basis?

I run anywhere from 3-6k most days of the week, depending on my level of motivation, the weather, and my inability to surmount my constant instinct to stop on any given day.

I hadn't been running regularly in about 4 years, so I'm really still trying to get back on the wagon - kind of daunting, really. It's hard to start running against once you stop, especially for so long. I started again in late April - give or take two months, then.

Anywho, who here runs? How far?

Do you listen to music when you run?

ad8
06-17-2009, 02:43 PM
I'm too lazy to run. I'm so lazy that even if I want to do sports, I want to sit. Guess that's why I'm a cyclist:D

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
06-17-2009, 02:48 PM
i run when the 1337, cops, border patrol, or gangs chase me

the_real_potomek
06-17-2009, 02:51 PM
I hate running. It's the worst sport for me.

brothadave79
06-17-2009, 02:57 PM
I do, it's very therapeutic. I ran 8 miles (12.8km) a couple nights ago. What appeals to me about the whole thing is the mental control over your body. Usually I want to stop around the second mile or so, but it's all about psyching yourself up to go further.

Edit: Yeah, I listen to music. I find that changing the music up helps you from falling in a slump. Plus, chewing gum also helps a lot. It keeps me from getting as thirsty and it gives me something else to be distracted with. :)

Apathy
06-17-2009, 03:03 PM
I run near every day...eh probably closer to five days a week now days. Anywhere from 3 to 10 miles a day depending on what I'm doing. I ran Track and Cross Country all through high school, but now that that's over I'm kind of just doing it for fun I guess.

This is me three years ago during some race.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d14/asdcfrewq/scan0001-1.jpg

Jesus
06-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Been doing it for a couple years. I do around 10-15km once a week or once every two weeks. I used to do around 20km two times a week but I injured my hip a year ago and it's probably something I have to live with for the rest of my life. It's better with therapy, but still have to take it easy.

Which blows.

06-17-2009, 03:12 PM
i also run when snoop doggy dogg and dictators are after me

Grimesy da Offspringfan
06-17-2009, 03:20 PM
I usually like to run on a regular basis, but sometimes when i don't feel like it, i just give up

Alison
06-17-2009, 03:29 PM
If I run for over a minute my asthma attacks.

Tijs
06-17-2009, 03:35 PM
I've tried running a couple of times but it's boring to do it alone.

So I tried to do it with friends, but either they drop dead after 30 minutes or just do the running-movements but actually moving slower than I walk.

I might try again with some music when vacation starts though 'cause I can use a good condition this summer.

Adriann
06-17-2009, 03:35 PM
I hated running until I decided to pretend I liked it and joined my schools XC team, it turned out to be majorly fun! we ran 5k everyday, and on hard days.. ugh we would do relays up the biggest hills in the area. we cant have ipods or anything during races so we always run without at practices. hahaha our team was like, below average and one of the smallest teams but we had the most fun and personality, blasting music and dancing at every race etc.
I cant wait till the season starts again!

Emil
06-17-2009, 03:48 PM
I run 6-8km three times a week. My opinion is that running makes me happy. after a very tough day nothing beats a trip around the lake.

Jebus
06-17-2009, 03:53 PM
Last year, I finally go to the point where I could run 5k+ everyday without getting completely wiped out. I ended up getting a nasty blister so I stopped for a while. Then after it healed, I couldn't get the motivation to start again and I haven't done it for months now. The best part of running for me was the progression, but something about having to start all over again (no way I'd be able to run a mile straight anymore) makes me not want to do it anymore.

Emil
06-17-2009, 03:55 PM
I feel sorry for you mate. But its cool you ran every day

_Lost_
06-17-2009, 04:06 PM
I love running. I love how I feel after. Last fall I was running a few times a week 2 or 3 miles. Then on election day, I hurt my knee pretty majorly so I had to stop for a while. Its healed up now (enough to run again anyway) but I can't find the motivation to start again.:(

Llamas
06-17-2009, 04:54 PM
I hate running. I prefer to do almost any form of exercise than running. I hate how much it fucks up your knees, plus I find it soooooo boring, and if you go for a run and get tired and decide to walk, it takes ages to get home. But I mostly find it boring as shit. I'd rather bike if I'm gonna work out while going somewhere!

T-6005
06-17-2009, 05:33 PM
It's partly the control aspect, yes - I understand that. But mostly it just feels good to know you're getting better and better. After four years devoid of exercise and fully into the beer and bacon lifestyle of University, I could walk up a staircase without feeling short of breath - but only just. It's just a sad realization - I mean, I used to run a 5:19 mile. It's not the most amazing time ever but it's still a time posted by someone fit, and two months ago I doubt I could have run the same distance in 8 minutes. I'm planning on timing myself in the near future, just to kind of make a mental cornerstone.

I want to get up to 10k a run, but I've been increasing my running distance pretty slowly. It's much easier to run when you have races and such to look forward to.

And music is nice when running, but only when it's exactly the right collection of songs. A few songs I ended up having on the mp3 player just didn't fit at all with my running - though strangely AC/DC's It's a Long Way to the Top went perfectly.

06-17-2009, 05:46 PM
It's partly the control aspect, yes - I understand that. But mostly it just feels good to know you're getting better and better. After four years devoid of exercise and fully into the beer and bacon lifestyle of University, I could walk up a staircase without feeling short of breath - but only just. It's just a sad realization - I mean, I used to run a 5:19 mile. It's not the most amazing time ever but it's still a time posted by someone fit, and two months ago I doubt I could have run the same distance in 8 minutes. I'm planning on timing myself in the near future, just to kind of make a mental cornerstone.

I want to get up to 10k a run, but I've been increasing my running distance pretty slowly. It's much easier to run when you have races and such to look forward to.

And music is nice when running, but only when it's exactly the right collection of songs. A few songs I ended up having on the mp3 player just didn't fit at all with my running - though strangely AC/DC's It's a Long Way to the Top went perfectly.

may i suggest no brakes, filler(by minor threat), and bodies by the sex pistols

RickyCrack
06-17-2009, 10:42 PM
I used to be a cross country and track and field runner. I'm running again now since i've started a beer belly. Starting with regular 3 mile runs then after a few weeks i'll probably add in a 5 mile run in once or twice a week. Then after a few weeks of that i'll do a 3 mile 5 mile 10 mile 5 mile 3 mile. with two days off to rest. one before and after the 10 mile.

Jakebert
06-17-2009, 10:48 PM
I've been running 5 miles a day all summer. I've been enjoying it a lot, but I know come fall I'll stop pretty quickly.

bighead384
06-17-2009, 11:33 PM
Yeah I don't know how people can run for long distances. The only way I could ever do that for a while is if I was on a track. People look at you more when you're running than on a bike for some reason too. Biking is like an adventure to me. Running is like a punishment.

JohnnyNemesis
06-17-2009, 11:42 PM
You guys are amazing. I've let myself become so out of shape that it only takes me like, 15-20 minutes of running before I'm wheezing. Sad state of affairs over here, but you guys are doin' awesome things.

I do go on extremely long walks about 3-4 days a week. I tutor a kid who lives quite far, and I tend to just walk there instead of taking a bus. Takes about an hour and a half to get there, and 2 and a half to get back because I run a shitload of errands on the way. Better than nothing.

Doesn't compare to y'all though!

Outerspaceman21
06-18-2009, 12:24 AM
I've been wanting to run more, but I never remember to do so. I guess I have other stuff to get done before that, like getting a job. I've been wanted a treadmill or a stationary bike to get myself in shape, but can't afford one and I live in an area notorious for people getting struck by cars and killed. More then 11 people have died on my street alone over that past 10 years.

Apathy
06-18-2009, 01:16 AM
My goal is to get my mile time below five minutes this summer. Should be accomplished I think. I had no idea there were so many runners on the bbs.

So you music listeners, what do you use to partake in listening pleasure? I've never been able to run with music because A.) until now ninety percent of my running was at some sort of team practice and B.) I've quickly discovered that my headphones don't stay in my ears

findout5
06-18-2009, 03:19 AM
I run 3 times a week for at least 3/4km on the gym (more as a warm-up).
I also run 10km once a week on the street (more like a boardwalk along the shore.) On the street I listen to music - usually Offspring or Bad Religion.

RickyCrack
06-18-2009, 03:42 AM
My goal is to get my mile time below five minutes this summer. Should be accomplished I think. I had no idea there were so many runners on the bbs.

So you music listeners, what do you use to partake in listening pleasure? I've never been able to run with music because A.) until now ninety percent of my running was at some sort of team practice and B.) I've quickly discovered that my headphones don't stay in my ears

shit yea, i've dealt with the head phone problem. i found these headphones tho that are like ipod earphones BUT they have the little hook that you put over the back of your ear, it's pretty much perfect. i used to run a mile in about 4:50 on average ( i was a drake relay finalist and a state champion) a few years ago. not that i'm bragging CUZ I AM. but that was years ago. i'd be lucky to break 6 minutes now.

Harleyquiiinn
06-18-2009, 03:45 AM
shit yea, i've dealt with the head phone problem. i found these headphones tho that are like ipod earphones BUT they have the little hook that you put over the back of your ear, it's pretty much perfect. i used to run a mile in about 4:50 on average ( i was a drake relay finalist and a state champion) a few years ago. not that i'm bragging CUZ I AM. but that was years ago. i'd be lucky to break 6 minutes now.

I use this type of headphones:

http://smoothsound.wordpress.com/2009/04/27/sennheiser-cx300-title/

I have no problem with them while running :)

Grimesy da Offspringfan
06-18-2009, 04:29 AM
I've tried running a couple of times but it's boring to do it alone.

So I tried to do it with friends, but either they drop dead after 30 minutes or just do the running-movements but actually moving slower than I walk.

I might try again with some music when vacation starts though 'cause I can use a good condition this summer.

Personally, i prefer to run alone with some music. Talking to other people whilre running would take my breath and i would be exhausted sooner

Tijs
06-18-2009, 05:16 AM
I'll try to run while listening to All I Want this weekend then, that's gotta motivate me.
And just like bighead I focused more on biking, but my brother broke my bike a month ago :(

RageAndLov
06-18-2009, 05:21 AM
Plus, chewing gum also helps a lot. It keeps me from getting as thirsty and it gives me something else to be distracted with. :)

Won't that give you breathing complications?

Sidewinder
06-18-2009, 05:31 AM
Running sucks. I get shin-splints that last a week after half a mile on a track. Fuck running. That is all.

KHWHD
06-18-2009, 07:41 AM
I'm more of a biker too. I used to bike 3 miles 5 days a week but stopped once I had my daughters.

T-6005
06-18-2009, 10:11 AM
I don't feel like running music should be something loud and fast. That just doesn't cut it for me. I find that the best running music is something with a beat you can keep listening to. Not necessarily a specific bpm, but just something steady.

Right now I've got these songs, but this is just a preliminary mix - I've only just started adding songs to listen to.

Delta Spirit - Trashcan
Ra Ra Riot - Dying is Fine
Placebo - Ashtray Heart
Placebo - Breathe Underwater
Against Belief - Chemical Plant Zone Theme
Supergrass - Diamond Hoo Ha Man
Franz Ferdinand - This Boy
Franz Ferdinand - Evil and a Heathen
Franz Ferdinand - No You Girls
AC/DC - It's a Long Way to the Top
Fu Manchu - Mongoose
A Wilhelm Scream - The King is Dead

I've also got some Vivaldi for post-run stretching.

Some of these songs work better than others - the Wilhelm Scream one and Evil and a Heathen are a little too fast beat-wise. I just can't get into a steady rhythm. Most of the rest are just about perfect, though.

EDIT - That's right, I listen to Against Belief while I run.

Jebus
06-19-2009, 12:51 AM
I tried running with headphones, but my ears got too hot. I couldn't stand it. And hey, I ran a couple of miles today. I wasn't as out of shape as I thought I was.

Little_Miss_1565
06-19-2009, 01:10 AM
A Wilhelm Scream - The King is Dead

Haha, Wilhelm is a great one for the treadmill. My treadmill jams are mainly dance -- The Faint's Danse Macabre, and ABBA's Gold for instance. Late of the Pier is also good.

Harleyquiiinn
06-19-2009, 01:15 AM
Placebo - Ashtray Heart
Placebo - Breathe Underwater

what ? I don't know these songs ! :confused: Is there a new album ???

Edit: Oh there is a new album... is it any good ?

I listen to Good Charlotte when I run - Don't throw things at me - It's a good thing to listen while running:
1) Good or not, it's fast. Motivates you
2) You have that kind of thing happening in your head with some particulary bad songs "Oh my God, i don't want to listen to this" It makes you run faster like "I'm running away"... Only it's always there ... :'(

the_offsprings_monkey
06-19-2009, 01:26 AM
I ride BMX, so that's how I get my excersice. Funny thing is I go like a bullet on my BMX, but when I try running, I just think "fuck it!" an stop with a massive stitch in my chest.

Outerspaceman21
06-19-2009, 01:59 AM
Haha, Wilhelm is a great one for the treadmill.

Agreed. Whenever I listen to them, I just feel like doing something. I always listen to them when I do yardwork. Only shitty part is when my headphone keep falling off.

Budzy
06-19-2009, 03:36 AM
I tried to get into running once but I just got bored/lazy. I'm not unfit so I don't really see the need to go for a run every night.

But when I did, I used to borrow my sisters iPod and listen to her music, because she's into a lot more heavier stuff than me, like death metal and screamo and all that crap.
But I could only lsiten to that shit when I was running, I can't stand it any other way.

SweetTatyana
06-19-2009, 08:20 AM
Yeah I love running too. I actually started training for the Breast Cancer Marathons and realized I loved it. I feel like it really clears your head. Music is necessary for me when I'm running. If I have to run up a big hill or last 1km or 2km, I have to have same loud Offspring music psyching me up to keep going! Yesterday I Choose and Not the One got me through :)

Llamas made a good point about the knees though, one of my biomechanics prof showed graphs of forces that joints can sustain and it doesn't talk very long at all for the regular forces of running to damage knee a joint if your not proper shoes. Make sure your shoes have proper support and aren't prehistoric.

T-6005
06-30-2009, 12:17 PM
I've been trying to keep up my momentum and keep running at least 4 days out of the week.

It's been hard, though - Toronto's weather is absolutely ridiculous. It's supposed to be temperate, and although today it's a nice 20C with only a moderate chance of thunderstorm, it's been 30 throughout the last week. Even 32 one of the days - that is a very difficult temperature to run in.

I tried it and almost fell over after barely two miles.

Icy Chic
07-01-2009, 04:01 PM
If I want to run, I have to run during the weekends. I have to wake up early for classes since I'm doing a summer semester in college, and on days I get out of classes early, I have to work. Weekend it is.

And I'd prefer to listen to my iPod, which is mostly loaded with alternative rock, techno, and J-pop.

dexter12296566
07-04-2009, 04:16 PM
i am usually on the cross country team at school

Adriann
07-04-2009, 04:22 PM
I need to start running again, cross country starts in about a month and I am ridiculously out of shape

nameless
07-04-2009, 06:14 PM
i walk a lot but havent been running in ages, i really need to get back into sports though!

dexter12296566
07-04-2009, 07:56 PM
i walk a lot but havent been running in ages, i really need to get back into sports though!

i love sports especially surfing skating cross country free running baseball and parkour

Into The Night
07-05-2009, 06:18 PM
I used to run. I can't anymore, since I have my daughter. She makes it difficult.
However, I do like to workout. My favorite form of exersize? Medieval sword recreations. And not that lame fantasy stuff. Historical recreations. The big difference is we actually hit each other. I can't tell you the number of bruises I get from that.

Check it out. I'm the one fighting everyone else. Yes... that IS about 13 other people... and yes I DO win... Muahahhahahahahahh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfP1svI-LV8

The Piano
07-26-2009, 10:17 PM
yea, i hate running but its great for my legs and stuff. i love to walk and listen to my little ipod thingy at the sametime.

T-6005
06-03-2012, 07:11 AM
So once again I am opening this thread. I tried to keep up some running throughout the winter and now that it's a bit warmer out, I've been trying to go more consistently.

I had a bit of a rough start, but last Sunday I went for a run not expecting much and absolutely demolished my 10k time with a 46:15 finish. It's not awesome overall, but in the last few years I've been really unfit so it's been a huge improvement for me. It's likely the fittest I've been since I landed in Canada. In a crappy year, it's nice to have a few positives.

TheJakes84
06-03-2012, 09:29 AM
I walk my goofy ass on over there by the Hansen Park aka The Mile, it's near by my house while listening to my iPod Nano (playing) none other than my Offspring (all album songs) & of course my Young The giant. It's great for my legs and heart. I don't like to race though.

TheNooseIsFalling
06-03-2012, 10:06 AM
I used to run on a regular basis, 8km in about 35 minutes a day, but as it got colder I kinda told myself 'nah, I'll start doing it again in the spring' but I never really got around to getting off my lazy ass and start running again. I do a lot of other physical stuff to stay in shape though, and I think I'm in a lot better shape now than I was before the winter

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-03-2012, 06:19 PM
I'm always so slow in the Spring. I try to run through the Summer and Fall though.

Dexter_italy
06-04-2012, 02:10 AM
I started running again in april as the weather started to be good. last year I runned from late april to mid-august, and I arrived at 6km. For now I'm at 5km but I have to go on evenings, 'cause the morning it's way too hot and I can't stand it for so long. I do listen to music, mostly fast stuff, when a slow song comes I have to change it 'cause it kinda kills my heartbeat and I slow down and get tired. Offspring, Pennywise, Strung Out, Sum41 are on the setlist for now, I've got to add Frenzal Rohmb too!

seanpen922
06-06-2012, 11:24 PM
you can ask me .... guys. i think it better

Isolated Fury
06-07-2012, 09:03 AM
I'm seriously considering starting to run. I don't run. A lot of people think I do because of my scrawny body frame, but I don't. My one buddy wants to do the Run For Your Lives event that's coming to our area soon. I think it'd be a blast. But, consider how out of shape I am right now, I wouldn't be able to do the whole 5K.

I am willing to try though. But here's the thing... I need to starting eating right again. My diet currently consists of a small midday lunch and tons of late night fast food and snacks. I don't drink water nearly as much as I should. I also need to stop smoking. To be completely honest, I don't think it'd be as hard as I think. I feel like I won't really want to smoke once I start running. Plus, I've quit before. The only reason I started back up again was because I hit a very tumultuous time in my life. I know I CAN quit. I just don't really want to.

So what do we think? Should/Can I do this?

TheNooseIsFalling
06-07-2012, 11:41 AM
I'm seriously considering starting to run. I don't run. A lot of people think I do because of my scrawny body frame, but I don't. My one buddy wants to do the Run For Your Lives event that's coming to our area soon. I think it'd be a blast. But, consider how out of shape I am right now, I wouldn't be able to do the whole 5K.

I am willing to try though. But here's the thing... I need to starting eating right again. My diet currently consists of a small midday lunch and tons of late night fast food and snacks. I don't drink water nearly as much as I should. I also need to stop smoking. To be completely honest, I don't think it'd be as hard as I think. I feel like I won't really want to smoke once I start running. Plus, I've quit before. The only reason I started back up again was because I hit a very tumultuous time in my life. I know I CAN quit. I just don't really want to.

5 km is not that long a distance so I wouldn't worry about the eating stuff, but the smoking can seriously mess up your stamina

chris9012
06-07-2012, 11:43 AM
My rule: I only run to catch a bus or train.

Running is a skill we've got left from when our ancestors had yet to invent gunpowder, bow and arrow or even spears. So they had to outrun their pray, or turn into vegetarians.
Nowadays I don't see any reason to run.

TheNooseIsFalling
06-07-2012, 11:47 AM
My rule: I only run to catch a bus or train.

Running is a skill we've got left from when our ancestors had yet to invent gunpowder, bow and arrow or even spears. So they had to outrun their pray, or turn into vegetarians.
Nowadays I don't see any reason to run.

Fucking zombies and shit!

Alien Invader
06-07-2012, 03:08 PM
Personally I love to run, but I prefer interval training over marathons, and my workouts are shorter because of that. I tried running outside, but a lot of people walk their dogs without a leash around here, so often times those dogs assume that I'm playing with them or something and try to bite my ankles. So after a while I decided to just get a gym membership and now I generally stick to the treadmill. It could get a bit boring, but on the plus side you get to monitor your speed, distance and time.

T-6005
06-08-2012, 03:58 PM

I would recommend it, yeah. Like TheNooseIsFalling mentioned, 5k isn't that long a distance, and even if you're super unfit, you can finish it with a mix of jogging and walking. Especially starting out, getting the distance is more important than running until you can't and then stopping, because you'll run 2-3k and then just give up. Walk the rest if you have to, and over the first few weeks alone you'll notice an improvement.

Smoking obviously isn't good. But it isn't something that's going to absolutely ruin your chances either, especially if you're cutting down. A few cigarettes will tar up your lungs a little, sure, but it's not like you're going to be unable to breathe. It'll just make it a bit harder to get up to pace.

I don't know where you live, either, but Toronto's weather recently began moving into what you might call 'warm.' Running in 27C weather is completely different from running in 14C, and your body needs about two weeks to acclimatize.

So basically my advice is absolutely, go for it. Just be aware that you're going to have a (probably rather uncomfortable) few weeks before your body and mind adjust.

Isolated Fury
06-11-2012, 01:11 PM
Well! I did it. I ran yesterday. It felt really good. And by "really good" I mean it hurt soooo bad. But I did it. And I haven't had a cigarette since. Which fucking sucks. I want to rip someone's face off right now (specifically my sitter). I can't run tonight or tomorrow. I have a very strict no-daughter-left-behind policy. If I have my daughter, I don't go anywhere without her. So no runs Sundays (every other), Mondays, or Tuesdays. But that leaves Wednesday nights, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays (every other) to run. Thankfully, I didn't need to buy anything to go run. I worked at Nike for four years and acquired a large cache of running clothes and shoes during my time there.

bighead384
06-11-2012, 07:42 PM
Everybody runs.

coughMinorityReportcough

Say...

*Spoiler alert*

In that movie, the antagonist revels his wrongdoings as a result of a Freudian Slip. That kind of doesn't do it for me. I feel like that's bad story writing. A sort of easy way out.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
06-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Well! I did it. I ran yesterday. It felt really good. And by "really good" I mean it hurt soooo bad. But I did it. And I haven't had a cigarette since. Which fucking sucks. I want to rip someone's face off right now (specifically my sitter). I can't run tonight or tomorrow. I have a very strict no-daughter-left-behind policy. If I have my daughter, I don't go anywhere without her. So no runs Sundays (every other), Mondays, or Tuesdays. But that leaves Wednesday nights, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays (every other) to run. Thankfully, I didn't need to buy anything to go run. I worked at Nike for four years and acquired a large cache of running clothes and shoes during my time there.
Good job! Keep at it. As far as I'm aware, it never actually stops hurting. Running won't get easy, you'll just get better.