PDA

View Full Version : How do I hook up my Super Nintendo to a Flat Screen?

wheelchairman
06-18-2009, 02:36 PM
The question is fairly simple. However I want to note that I live in Europe, have a European SNES and of course a European TV. I don't know if that makes a difference, but it might.

Secondly, I have an RF cable (the antenna cable, for people like me who are technologically retarded), and the S-Video cable (also known as the cable with two penises and no vaginas).

Neither of them work. From what I've read I need an RF modulator if I want to use the RF cable, or if I want to use the S-Video cable I need a multi-out.

Does anyone have any experience with this? If so, do you have any advice?

And no, I don't want to use emulators, or internet subscriptions, or USB control pads. Those are really cool, but I just want to use my SNES on my TV.

Otherwise I'll just move my old tv to the bedroom and play supernintendo there. That's right, I'll play SNES from my BED.

KHWHD
06-18-2009, 02:45 PM
Good question, thanks for asking cause I need help too. I was trying to hook mine up about 3 weeks ago and totally forgot how after all these years.

Do you play any of the DK games?

wheelchairman
06-18-2009, 02:47 PM
I'm guessing by DK you don't mean Denmark, but Donkey Kong.

Yes I have one of the Donkey Kong games. Maybe I have two. Unfortunately though I think one is in German.

I mostly just want to play Super Mario Allstars though. And this has really put a damper on that.

T-6005
06-18-2009, 02:48 PM
Honestly I'm kind of confused by your explanation. If it fits one TV it should be able to fit most of them - even HD TVs still have the standard inputs, flatscreen or no.

To sum up - I sympathize with your Marioless plight but am completely unable to help.

EDIT - I mean, unless you're talking Peritel/SCART cables here.

KHWHD
06-18-2009, 02:50 PM
I'm guessing by DK you don't mean Denmark, but Donkey Kong.

Yes I have one of the Donkey Kong games. Maybe I have two. Unfortunately though I think one is in German.

I mostly just want to play Super Mario Allstars though. And this has really put a damper on that.

Yeah, Donkey Kong.. lol. God damn I miss those games. Especially the one with Diddy. He was the best, even better than DK. Wasn't a fan of Dixie. Only good thing about her was her hair grabbing onto shit.

I miss Yoshi too.

wheelchairman
06-18-2009, 02:52 PM
Honestly I'm kind of confused by your explanation. If it fits one TV it should be able to fit most of them - even HD TVs still have the standard inputs, flatscreen or no.

To sum up - I sympathize with your Marioless plight but am completely unable to help.

EDIT - I mean, unless you're talking Peritel/SCART cables here.

No, because the SNES went through the antenna cable, and then you just had to find the proper 'unprogrammed' channel it was on. That was easy enough. However since most (or at least mine) HD TVs automatically program the channels, I wouldn't even know where to start.

Naturally I started looking in the instruction manual but that did not help. :(

Harleyquiiinn
06-18-2009, 02:57 PM
Hmm don't you have a touch on your remote control that makes you go to the auxiliar stuff ? like when you want to use your DVD player ?:confused:

Or find an old TV...

wheelchairman
06-18-2009, 03:06 PM
Yes I do. And no that doesn't work. There's no signal on all of those.

Not even when i plug the S-video in because that requires a multi-out.

And as I clearly said, I want to use it on my new tv. For the sake of easiness. That and my old tv has shitty sound.

T-6005
06-18-2009, 03:17 PM
Yeah, you really need that high-definition audio to properly enjoy Mario.

wheelchairman
06-18-2009, 03:25 PM
No, but I do want to sit on my couch where my tv is, smart-ass. And since I know this is possible, I want to get it done!

Homer
06-18-2009, 05:38 PM
Yeah, an RF cable should work just fine.

It's what I use for mine.

wheelchairman
06-18-2009, 05:53 PM
Yeah but it doesn't, at least not over here. Don't know why. Apparently I need an RF modulator to go with it.

the_offsprings_monkey
06-18-2009, 05:55 PM
No, because the SNES went through the antenna cable, and then you just had to find the proper 'unprogrammed' channel it was on. That was easy enough. However since most (or at least mine) HD TVs automatically program the channels, I wouldn't even know where to start.

Ahh I think what you'll have to do is tune an empty channel in. Or failing that try looking at external channels.

wheelchairman
06-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Yeah that's what I thought. I don't know how to find the untuned the untuned channels. And its none of the AV channels, or auxiliary or whatever.

nieh
06-18-2009, 06:14 PM

If you have a remote, you can probably punch in a channel that wasn't autoprogrammed by the TV. Traditionally, consoles use channels 3 or 4. At least American versions do.

the_offsprings_monkey
06-19-2009, 01:23 AM
If you have a remote, you can probably punch in a channel that wasn't autoprogrammed by the TV. Traditionally, consoles use channels 3 or 4. At least American versions do.

Mine always used to be on 6 or 7.

To be honest, you're probs best going in the bedroom with it (sounds a tad wrong...)

Budzy
06-19-2009, 03:02 AM
Time for a Playstation 3 methinks.

Harleyquiiinn
06-19-2009, 03:04 AM
Time for a Playstation 3 methinks.

:eek:

But... that has nothing to do with PS3 or not ! Super Nintendo rocks ! No game as good as Secret of Mana on SNES !

:D

Budzy
06-19-2009, 03:21 AM
:eek:

But... that has nothing to do with PS3 or not ! Super Nintendo rocks ! No game as good as Secret of Mana on SNES !

:D

but...Call Of Duty...

Harleyquiiinn
06-19-2009, 03:31 AM
But you can't compaare these games :D

Long live SNES ! :D

Sorry Wheelchair, I realize we are not helping much...

KyleW
06-19-2009, 03:52 AM
I miss Yoshi too.

This didn't get enough attention.

Oh and sorry WCM I'm probably waaaay more technologically defunkt than most people here.

JohnnyNemesis
06-19-2009, 11:53 AM
Did I miss something, or do RCA cables (the red/white/yellow ones) not work for you for some reason? I've been using those on my SNES since 1991.

wheelchairman
06-19-2009, 12:32 PM

Over here in Europe they weren't the standard equipment apparently. But I just ordered one of those for about 10 bucks including shipping, it appears to be quite the simple solution.

Oh Johnny, you were my only hope and you were a little too late. :p

I actually haven't ordered them, I bid on it on an online auction. I find it unlikely that I'll have any competitors though.

Jesus
06-19-2009, 01:10 PM
Back up link if someone beats you:
http://www.thegametrain.com/snesgamecuben64gc-composite-av-cable-p-371.html

wheelchairman
06-19-2009, 01:15 PM
Holy shit 5 . I may not love the EU, but I do love being attached to the euro.

Jesus
06-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Including shipping makes it a 7 I think. I do think a composite cable was included with the original SNES though, cause I remember having it hooked up via composite and the NES at the same time old skool style. If you really want to go all cheap, begging at a local game store might work since a gamecube cable will work too I think.

wheelchairman
06-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Nah, Tizz may be Dutch, but I'm not. I'm happy paying 7 if I have to.

dexter12296566
07-02-2009, 07:44 AM
u need 2 get a vcr and hook it up through that thats what i did and just so u know i think the best super nintendo game is SMASH TV