PDA

View Full Version : RageAndLov's thought about the new setlist

RageAndLov
06-18-2009, 05:21 PM
There have been some arguments over the setlist recently. There are many here who wants to hear old songs from The Offspring, mostly from Ignition. The band claims however that those songs mostly "kills" the crowd, and therefore are more rarely played live.

I just thought of something. If we check the sales numbers of Ignition and compare it to, let's say, Splinter, we can see that both records went Gold in the US (Source: http://www.rockonthenet.com/artists-o/offspring.htm ).
This means both albums have sold approximalty the same, both 500'000+.
This also means just as many have heard the songs on Ignition as on Splinter. In theory, the songs from Splinter played live should be just the same crowd "killers" as the songs from Ignition!

Now let's check last show (taken from the set list thread):

29/05/09 - Las Vegas, Nevada, United States - Pearl Concert Theater

01. Stuff is Messed Up
02. Bad Habit
03. You're Gonna Go Far, Kid
04. Come Out and Play
05. Walla Walla
06. Have You Ever
07. Staring at the Sun
08. Gone Away
09. Kristy Are You Doing, Okay?
10. Half Truism
11. Why Don't You Get a Job?
12. All I Want
13. Americana
14. Pretty Fly (For a White Guy)
15. (Can't Get My) Head Around You
16. The Kids Aren't Alright
Encore
17. Hammerhead
18. Want You Bad
19. Self-Esteem

Okay, last time, they played one song from Splinter, but they usually play Hit That too, right? So one or two songs from an album just as popular as Ignition are played at every gig. Then wouldn't it be logical to play one or two songs from Ignition as well? If The Offspring is afraid of playing crowd-"killing" songs, shouldn't they cut out Splinter songs too?

nightvision
06-18-2009, 05:43 PM
If the numbers are correct you definately got a point. And if we had to choose between hearing songs from Splinter or Ignition, I'd obviously prefer Ignition.

jacknife737
06-18-2009, 05:51 PM
A bit of a flaw; in the general public's eyes, Ignition was most popular during the mid 90s (ie, when it sold the majority of its copies); Splinter's release was just a few years ago, thus amongst the band's current active fanbase it would probably be more familiar. Plus CGMHAY, was a significant radio hit. As for Hit That, i don't think they've played it so far on their current tour.

But still, the last couple Canadian dates had Mota and Genocide being played, so the setlist isn't' totally stagnant.

RageAndLov
06-18-2009, 05:55 PM
A bit of a flaw; in the general public's eyes, Ignition was most popular during the mid 90s (ie, when it sold the majority of its copies); Splinter's release was just a few years ago, thus amongst the band's current active fanbase it would probably be more familiar.

You could say the same about Smash. It was most popular during the mid 90's, but songs from that album will never be taken off the set list.

nightvision
06-18-2009, 06:05 PM
You could say the same about Smash. It was most popular during the mid 90's, but songs from that album will never be taken off the set list.

Well that's partially because of the fact that Smash is still the best selling album ever released on an independant label.

jacknife737
06-18-2009, 06:42 PM

Smash was also exponentially more popular than Ignition.

randman21
06-18-2009, 07:21 PM
There was also no such thing as P2P sharing in 1992. Back then, if you wanted to hear a song from an album, you either had to buy it, or have a friend who bought it. Today, I can download an entire album by stretching and accidentally hitting the keyboard. My point being many more people have heard Splinter without having bought it, not necessarily the same with Ignition, so sales aren't a great indicator.

renato piquette
06-18-2009, 07:38 PM

unfortunately,my worst nightmare became true,they removed "gotta get away" from the set-list

Gayman
06-18-2009, 09:10 PM
Well....I would love to hear more songs from Ignition, "Nothing From Something" especially, but it's just not gonna happen...we just have to deal with it.

Harleyquiiinn
06-18-2009, 11:50 PM
There was also no such thing as P2P sharing in 1992. Back then, if you wanted to hear a song from an album, you either had to buy it, or have a friend who bought it. Today, I can download an entire album by stretching and accidentally hitting the keyboard. My point being many more people have heard Splinter without having bought it, not necessarily the same with Ignition, so sales aren't a great indicator.

+ 1

I don't think you can compare the sales of 2 albums which were released 10 years apart with file sharing appaearing during these 10 years....

So I don't think that the 2 albums are as popular. 500.000 for a CD released in 2004 is not bad, I don't think that Ignition released in 2004 would have made such a big number... I don't know about the number of downloads...

Another indicator: Check how many times both CDs have been downloaded on Mininova or other P2P sites... I can't be sure (Cause I NEVER go to these websites :D ) but I would be surprised that Ignition is downloaded more than Splinter... but then, Pirates usually have good taste :cool:

Today, I can download an entire album by stretching and accidentally hitting the keyboard

lol :D

That said, I would be totally in favor of more old CDs... Maybe it kills the crowd but it would make a few fans so happy http://www.assas.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/downloadedfileyu9.png

Tomasisko
06-19-2009, 12:47 AM
I miss 5th option that something is wrong and something is right

Grimesy da Offspringfan
06-19-2009, 04:40 AM
I love all of their albums, and i don't have a problem about the Splinter songs, i just don't get why the fuck would they want to play the 10 years old Americana songs, when they're on tour for their new album.

Titus
06-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Even though the both album sold almost the same I donīt think it is a good point. I know some people who were a fan back then when they released ignition and smash but they are not a fan right now, in fact they donīt even know the Offspring are still playing.
A lot of people who bought ignition are no longer fans of the band, but most of the people who have splinter still listen to the Offspring.

Plus the internet and what not everyone else has said.

I think they could play Dirty Magic without "Killing the crowd" though. In my opnion it is the most popular song from that album, and they also released a new version a couple of years ago... They could try...

dexterone
06-19-2009, 09:56 AM
RageandLove....hmm...well I think,youīre thinking too much....when you say,that when they donīt play songs from Ignition,they should also stop to play songs from Splinter......why do you think that ?
I think,Ignition is one of the best albums,every is super,but itīs something old for Offspring I think.....now when theyīre playing some new wave and it wouldnīt go together on concert....hm...everybody has an own opinion....and youīre wrong with Hit that...they donīt use to play it on this tour.....they only play Canīt get my head around you from Splinter,and I read,that some of last shows they have played Burn it up :)

RageAndLov
06-19-2009, 03:44 PM
RageandLove....hmm...well I think,youīre thinking too much....when you say,that when they donīt play songs from Ignition,they should also stop to play songs from Splinter......why do you think that ?

Since just as many people have heard Ignition as Splinter (in theory) and they rarely play songs from Ignition, it seems to me to be logical that they would play Splinter songs rarely.

And about the internet downloading. When downloading an album, it is normal to use bittorrents, right? And most torrents contain all albums from a band, not just one album here one album there.
People who download Splinter would therefore (probably) download the other albums from Offspring.

randman21
06-19-2009, 03:48 PM
I'm not really into downloading a lot of music, but I've never downloaded a torrent with a band's entire catalog on it.

RageAndLov
06-19-2009, 04:14 PM
I'm not really into downloading a lot of music, but I've never downloaded a torrent with a band's entire catalog on it.

The Offspring's whole catalouge is the most popular torrent when you're searching for "offspring" on The Pirate Bay.

randman21
06-19-2009, 04:24 PM
I stand corrected.

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
06-19-2009, 04:56 PM

it's funny how you said accidentally. i don't think people say oops when they click the download button. and you have a point.p2p allows entire albums for free, and even before it's released. so rageandlov might not have a point.

did i mention that you can download personal info of other people through p2p because identity thieves put it on the p2p

Oxygene
06-20-2009, 02:20 AM
here is my input

cows don't have dicks

Budzy
06-20-2009, 02:23 AM
here is my input

cows don't have dicks

He's right, you know.

RageAndLov
06-20-2009, 04:19 PM
here is my input

cows don't have dicks

Hahahahaha, say that to pretty_fly_white_guy858

RageAndLov
06-20-2009, 04:22 PM
p2p allows entire albums for free, and even before it's released. so rageandlov might not have a point.

Splinter and Ignition would be just as easy to download, and itīs in many bittorrent users nature to download band catalouges.

Free?
06-20-2009, 04:49 PM
Splinter and Ignition would be just as easy to download, and itīs in many bittorrent users nature to download band catalouges.

But, let's say, after CO1 era, when Splinter just came out, it was a new Offspring album and certainly got downloaded a lot, such thing didn't happen to Ignition.

RageAndLov
06-22-2009, 11:31 AM
But, let's say, after CO1 era, when Splinter just came out, it was a new Offspring album and certainly got downloaded a lot, such thing didn't happen to Ignition.

Well alright, youīve got a point. But I would like to repeat myself and say that most of them would perhaps also download the rest of the Offspring albums they didnīt own.

Thomas
06-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Ignition didn't have any hit singles. When I saw them, the only song they played from Splinter was CGMHAY, which was, in fact, a hit single. That and filesharing blablabla...

SmashingIxnayConspiracy
06-22-2009, 12:28 PM
I still think they should play "Way Down the Line" and "Special Delivery" but that aint gonna happen.

Wait a minute, they're playing Walla Walla, but they arent playing Gotta Get Away? That's just...not right!

If they do play something off Ignition I would hope its Dirty Magic or Kick Him When He's Down.