PDA

View Full Version : New DEXTER HOLLAND interview

RonWelty
06-19-2009, 10:05 AM
http://www.vindy.com/news/2009/jun/19/offspring-comes-to-cleveland/?newswatch

I think Dexter was a little unfair to Offspring fans above 25 years old... It's like peolple older than that shouldn't like the band and if they like, they are retarded or something. And why AC.DC have to be better than Offspring.
I found Offspring 11 years ago and WHY should I switch? If we find the best band in the world why move to another one? Unless Dexter believes that there are a lot of better bands than his own. If so, something his wrong in his head...

With songs like Kristy and Gone Away they certainly appeal to a wider public.

randman21
06-19-2009, 10:35 AM
You can't seriously be taking offense at that comment. First, it was an off-handed and facetious statement. Also, there's evidence of a little bit of that on this very BBS. A lot of the older fans have moved on to other stuff by now.

Free?
06-19-2009, 11:07 AM
...when you try to figure out what punk is anyway, it was very different depending on where you were. The Sex Pistols were very nihilistic, and the Dead Kennedys were very political. I think there is sort of a rebellion throughout it, and really rock ’n’ roll in general. So for us, our little twist was just be smart, think for yourself and don’t do what other people tell you to do. Make sure you’re doing it because you want to do it.
Fuck yes. I can stop guessing now. Dexter said it.

Harleyquiiinn
06-19-2009, 11:18 AM
Think for yourself, yes....

When I was 14-15 it was when Americana was released. And I heard like a hundred time at least "Offspring is crap since Americana". Did anyone else heard that a lot ? The truth is, the people who told me that never actually listened to the other albums...

So listening to the Offspring at that time was just something to be ashamed of. And I was way too much of a snob to do otherwise. Now that I am 25, I appreciate it for what it is. A good punk rock band. And no, not AC/DC thanks :D

Thanks for the interview, Ron !

Oxygene
06-19-2009, 11:33 AM
You can't seriously be taking offense at that comment. First, it was an off-handed and facetious statement. Also, there's evidence of a little bit of that on this very BBS. A lot of the older fans have moved on to other stuff by now.

yeah and they are morons to have done it I might add :D

Blitzkrieg Bop
06-19-2009, 01:19 PM
Also, there's evidence of a little bit of that on this very BBS. A lot of the older fans have moved on to other stuff by now.

We’re almost like this phase they get into our band when they’re 14 or 15 years old. And maybe when they’re 25 they graduate to John Mayer and whatever else.

Randy, I agree that you have a point here, but accordingly to my calculations, the average age of members on the BBS is between 18 to 25.

RonWelty
06-19-2009, 01:23 PM
According to Dexter I have more 3 years of Offspring fanship. So let's enjoy it :D

Offspring-Junkie
06-19-2009, 01:49 PM
I listen to what I want as long as I want no matter what anyone else says. TRUE PUNX? Whatever...

dexter12296566
07-01-2009, 09:53 PM
when u talk about punk its a state of mind and doing the unthinkable something no one has dared to do in the past
Reply 2 Free?

Human
07-02-2009, 01:14 AM
It was kind of strange reading that. I thought that Dexter's views of the band would be a bit different, instead of considering themselves "in between Ac/Dc and the Jonas Brothers".

Oxygene
07-02-2009, 01:22 AM
It was kind of strange reading that. I thought that Dexter's views of the band would be a bit different, instead of considering themselves "in between Ac/Dc and the Jonas Brothers".

aren't the jonas brothers a female version of the backstreet boys with guitars?

Human
07-02-2009, 01:24 AM
They're worse. And I'm not quite sure on the gender.

Stylie
07-02-2009, 02:52 AM
Yeah damn, don't even mention those Jonas B. Gah, don't like that Disney boy band. So yeah, a bit surprised that he said that, hehe. AC/DC is really cool, and they're something like between that yes, but Jonas B.? They're just a Disney soft pop (rock) group, that teenage girls and childs listen to, nothing to do with The Offspring...

randman21
07-02-2009, 04:56 AM
Where are you guys reading that he was comparing The Offspring to the Jonas Brothers or AC/DC?

Oxygene
07-02-2009, 05:05 AM
I didn't think that need interpretation but here it goes

we are somewhere between some of the greatest rock n roll acts of all time and the shittiest pop band that deserves to be burned.. so fuck off with classification plz.

In my mind anyway.. it's an apt description: ACDC fuck the jonas brothers up the @$$ and the Offspring are born =)

Little_Miss_1565
07-02-2009, 08:24 AM
In my mind anyway.. it's an apt description: ACDC fuck the jonas brothers up the @$$ and the Offspring are born =)

You are really good at the descriptions that make me throw up in my mouth a little! :(

But anyway, I think what Dexter said is a pretty fair description. Pretty sure I've said it to him myself, too. There seems to be an endless supply of new 13-16 year old fans, and people like myself who remember 1994 and how huge they were are kind of a minority. There are people here who think of the Offspring as kind of an underground bubbling-under phenomenon, which is weird to me but I'm glad there are so many people constantly discovering them.

Stylie
07-02-2009, 09:28 AM
But anyway, I think what Dexter said is a pretty fair description.

Yeeeaaah, but I still think it isn't exactly right to set up Jonas B. there.

Of course The Offspring got young fans too, but all bands do, actually. We got a really spread audience. Young fans from '94, and now '09. As I mean Dexter said, you can find both teens and really grown ups at an Offspring concert. And that's good! Of course that comparing to AC/DC and Jonas B. aren't too bad, but no, I really don't think Jonas B. are the right band there to compare. The Offspring aren't close to them, and even so if he ment that Jonas B. is generally for younger audience, AC/DC also got many young fans. It's just that..Jonas B. are a DISNEY, yeah DISNEY boyband soft pop (rock), that girls in puberty are wild at. Gah, just no. :p

Randy: at the end of the interview, last sentence to be exact. ;)

Oxygene
07-02-2009, 09:31 AM
You are really good at the descriptions that make me throw up in my mouth a little! :(

But anyway, I think what Dexter said is a pretty fair description. Pretty sure I've said it to him myself, too. There seems to be an endless supply of new 13-16 year old fans, and people like myself who remember 1994 and how huge they were are kind of a minority. There are people here who think of the Offspring as kind of an underground bubbling-under phenomenon, which is weird to me but I'm glad there are so many people constantly discovering them.

we all have to be good at something right?

Little_Miss_1565
07-02-2009, 09:36 AM
Yeeeaaah, but I still think it isn't exactly right to set up Jonas B. there.

Of course The Offspring got young fans too, but all bands do, actually. We got a really spread audience. Young fans from '94, and now '09. As I mean Dexter said, you can find both teens and really grown ups at an Offspring concert. And that's good! Of course that comparing to AC/DC and Jonas B. aren't too bad, but no, I really don't think Jonas B. are the right band there to compare. The Offspring aren't close to them, and even so if he ment that Jonas B. is generally for younger audience, AC/DC also got many young fans. It's just that..Jonas B. are a DISNEY, yeah DISNEY boyband soft pop (rock), that girls in puberty are wild at. Gah, just no. :p

Randy: at the end of the interview, last sentence to be exact. ;)

I think you're reading into it a little much. I got the idea that he was more referring to the age groups each band generally attracts.

Rutegard
07-02-2009, 11:01 AM
I think you're reading into it a little much. I got the idea that he was more referring to the age groups each band generally attracts.

yeah i was under the same impression

SelfEsteem94
07-02-2009, 01:21 PM
yeah,
im pretty sure they we just talking about age.

leo3375
07-02-2009, 02:42 PM
He was being sarcastic when he said that 25-year-olds graduate to John Mayer. Hell, I'll be 28 next month and I found that remark hilarious!

The Offspring have reached the same point that Social Distortion has: they appeal to a wide variety of age groups, and several people who got into them in 1994 are probably introducing their own children to the Offspring and taking them to shows. There were reports of an 8-year-old boy with a blue mohawk at the St. Paul show last month.

Stylie
07-02-2009, 03:28 PM

Yeah, I understand. Oh well, that may be true! Anyways, it doesn't really matter. Rock on Dexter and The Offspring! ;)

Harleyquiiinn
07-02-2009, 03:30 PM
(Did anyone see the South Park episode with the Jonas Brothers ?)