PDA

View Full Version : South Africa

Blitzkrieg Bop
06-21-2009, 12:44 PM
I know that this tread is probably in vain, but I am hoping to get some international support here :) I read an article in one of our local music magazines, which I thought that I would share.

Oppikoppi ranks among top ten music fests

Thursday, 10 April 2008 South Africas Oppikoppi music festival has been ranked fourth in the UK Daily Mirrors list of the Top Ten Music Festivals taking place outside the mainland Britain. Like Glastonbury, only hotter, says the Daily Mirror.co.uk in describing the now 15 year old festival which sees home-grown bands and DJs rub shoulders with European talent under the expansive African sky. Ranking ahead of Oppikoppi in the top three spots are the Pukkelpop Festival in Belgium, Benicassim in Spain and Fuji Rocks which is held in the valley of Mount Fuji in Japan. The Oppikoppi headline festival which takes place every August on the official OppiKoppi farm in Northam, Limpopo Province will be turning fifteen this year. This years festival will take place from the 7th to the 10th August. The full list of the top ten foreign music festivals as determined by the Daily Mirror is:

1. Pukkelpop Belgium
2. Benicassim Spain
3. Fuji Rocks Japan
4. Oppikoppi South Africa
5. Bestival UK
6. Airwaves Iceland
7. Rock Werchter Germany
8. The Electric Picnic Ireland
9. The Big Day Out New Zealand
10. The Montreux Jazz Festival Switzerland

So, if we rank so high on the list, there is really no excuse for The Offspring not to come to South Africa, plus there is a gap in the tour schedule between the USA and Europe to make a pit stop here ;)

Rutegard
06-21-2009, 12:49 PM
yes, i really agree with this! u guys have also the right to see them live in your own country :)

Blitzkrieg Bop
06-21-2009, 01:24 PM
yes, i really agree with this! u guys have also the right to see them live in your own country :)

Exactly ... Thanks for the support Ruty :)

mrs_hollandova
06-21-2009, 01:32 PM
Offspring boys - go to SOUTH AFRICA!!!

And take me with you :) :D

holland25
06-21-2009, 01:34 PM
*Gives Marika support*

EDIT: Oppi koppi? It sounds so uncool and Finnish. Holy fuck.

Blitzkrieg Bop
06-21-2009, 01:43 PM
EDIT: Oppi koppi? It sounds so uncool and Finnish. Holy fuck.

Oppikoppi actually means 'On Top Of The Hill' in Afrikaans, but I do get where you are coming from :D

dff_punk
06-21-2009, 02:09 PM
Come to South Africa!
(lol, I am not in an inventive mood)

randman21
06-21-2009, 06:42 PM
I'm totally in favor of this! I think the name alone would entice them. It's extremely short notice, but I'm sure stranger things have happened!

Les Paul Girl
06-22-2009, 02:51 AM
I'm with you Marika. Of course they should come to South Africa!

Paradon
06-22-2009, 04:12 AM
well that would be great lol since im from South Africa, but living in Portugal now :) as i have a lot of family in SA i would just have to pay the ticket and the Plane ticket hehe

Blitzkrieg Bop
06-22-2009, 08:59 AM
I'm totally in favor of this! I think the name alone would entice them. It's extremely short notice, but I'm sure stranger things have happened!

Granted ... One can only hope, plus there are other festivals that they can attend here, Oppikoppi is just the most recent one. Alternatively, they can do their own show ... but I was thinking festivals because that is what they have been doing lately.

well that would be great lol since im from South Africa, but living in Portugal now :) as i have a lot of family in SA i would just have to pay the ticket and the Plane ticket hehe

Welcome to a half South African :D :)

Paradon
06-22-2009, 09:48 AM
Welcome to a half South African :D :)

ohh thanks :D

Rutegard
06-22-2009, 01:35 PM
we want dexter to post here :)

Harleyquiiinn
06-22-2009, 02:45 PM
Yeah yeah ! go to South Africa ! :)

Who wouldn't want to go to South Africa anyway ? :confused:

Blitzkrieg Bop
06-23-2009, 09:39 AM
we want dexter to post here :)

Or look in this direction ... at the very least ;)

Who wouldn't want to go to South Africa anyway ? :confused:

Good question ... I live there, so there really isn't any excuse :D

Rutegard
06-23-2009, 09:46 AM
i know that mexicans miss them too

Blitzkrieg Bop
06-23-2009, 12:40 PM
i know that mexicans miss them too

South Africa ... Mexico
I don't see the connection here :confused:

Rutegard
06-23-2009, 01:02 PM
South Africa ... Mexico
I don't see the connection here :confused:

i see a plaaneee....

and i see dex as a pilot....

:D

Blitzkrieg Bop
06-23-2009, 02:00 PM
i see a plaaneee....

and i see dex as a pilot....

:D

Hahahaha ... that is definitely a plan, but why stop there, we can go everywhere ;)

Blitzkrieg Bop
06-24-2009, 05:48 AM
The legendary South African music festival, Oppikoppi, is turning 15 this year at the Oppikoppi Farm in Northam from the 7th to the 9th of August.
To commemorate their 15 year birthday party, Oppikoppi Productions is thrilled to present Oppikoppi Smoorverlief Festival, a festival of three full days of real music, real beer, real dust and real love. Their 15th Birthday party will be sure to bring with it an unrivalled array of fresh and experienced acts from South Africa and abroad. The phenomenon of the multi-day rock festival and hard-hitting acts has returned to life.

Even more reason for The Offspring to do the Oppikoppi Festival this year ;)

randman21
06-24-2009, 08:33 AM
Is Seether going to be there? Heh, that kinda rhymes.

Blitzkrieg Bop
06-24-2009, 12:38 PM
Is Seether going to be there? Heh, that kinda rhymes.

No, unfortunately not, but they were in SA, in June last year, where they did a couple of shows and I'm sure they spent a couple of days with their families.

Rutegard
07-10-2009, 11:51 AM
up!! .............

Paradon
07-11-2009, 06:16 AM
i might be going back to south Africa :p heheh

Blitz!
07-12-2009, 07:31 AM
i might be going back to south Africa :p heheh

On vacation or for good?

I know that I opened this thread to entice the band to South Africa *still the ultimate purpose' but I was thinking that I could use it as a multipurpose thread as well. So, I'm going to use the thread to post 'news' for past, present and future events, specifically because there is nothing on the home page relating to SA.

So, watch this space ;)

Paradon
07-13-2009, 02:48 AM
On vacation or for good?

I know that I opened this thread to entice the band to South Africa *still the ultimate purpose' but I was thinking that I could use it as a multipurpose thread as well. So, I'm going to use the thread to post 'news' for past, present and future events, specifically because there is nothing on the home page relating to SA.

So, watch this space ;)

i might be going for good :) im going back to take the Aviation course :) its my dream since i was a child and honestly i think im gonna do it :p

mrs_hollandova
07-13-2009, 06:52 AM
i might be going for good :) im going back to take the Aviation course :) its my dream since i was a child and honestly i think im gonna do it :p

ho ho hooooooo and why in south africa? come to slovakia, my friend has school for pilots, I can show you on facebook :) we need pretty boys here

chriiis
07-13-2009, 08:37 AM
someone from here was on the 2004 south africa shows?

Blitz!
07-13-2009, 09:06 AM
i might be going for good :) im going back to take the Aviation course, its my dream since i was a child and honestly i think im gonna do it

Where is this aviation course? Will you be returning to your hometown?

ho ho hooooooo and why in south africa? come to slovakia, my friend has school for pilots, I can show you on facebook :) we need pretty boys here

Sweety, you can't have all the pretty boys for yourself ... you have to share, cause sharing means caring :D

someone from here was on the 2004 south africa shows?

That would be me :)

Paradon
07-13-2009, 10:46 AM
i dont know to wich school im going yet but 1st im going to try the SAAF (South African Air Force) :D

Paradon
07-13-2009, 10:47 AM

i would love to, but its gonna be a little bit hard (just not to say very hard) to make the course in a Country with a language i dont understand :(

Blitz!
07-14-2009, 12:49 PM
i dont know to wich school im going yet but 1st im going to try the SAAF (South African Air Force)

Sounds like a plan :) Isn't there an Air Force in Portugal? Not that I don't want you to come back to South Africa, just wondering ;)

i would love to, but its gonna be a little bit hard (just not to say very hard) to make the course in a Country with a language i dont understand :(

You have a point ... I know how to spell some words in Slovak, but I have no idea how to pronounce them.

mrs_hollandova
07-14-2009, 02:16 PM
but english is aviation language anyway, the training is in english everywhere in the world and we have many foreign students in Slovakia, so it's not a problem

Paradon
07-14-2009, 04:52 PM
Sounds like a plan :) Isn't there an Air Force in Portugal? Not that I don't want you to come back to South Africa, just wondering ;)

You have a point ... I know how to spell some words in Slovak, but I have no idea how to pronounce them.

yes there is but they only have two kinds of jets, the F-16 Falcon and the alphajet, i want to get into the gripen fighter and the SAAF has it :D

Blitz!
07-15-2009, 01:31 PM
but english is aviation language anyway, the training is in english everywhere in the world and we have many foreign students in Slovakia, so it's not a problem

That is true, aviation has a language all of its own, besides English of course ;)

yes there is but they only have two kinds of jets, the F-16 Falcon and the alphajet, i want to get into the gripen fighter and the SAAF has it :D

Okay ... welcome back to SA :)

Blitz!
07-18-2009, 01:09 PM
I have been at a clients office this entire week and everyday I would sit and listen to Kristy on the radio. So, yesterday I was wonder how the band was doing on the charts in South Africa and look what I found.

http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp70/m_rogue/5FMChartposition-TheOffspring.jpg

The best part is that the band is kicking Green Day's butt :D

Blitz!
07-30-2009, 01:15 PM
My first installment of The Offspring archive for South Africa :)
This is an article in News24.com announcing the arrival of the band.

Offspring arrive in SA
2004-09-23

Johannesburg - American punk band The Offspring jetted into Johannesburg on Thursday ahead of their South African Splinter tour.
The group will be performing in Johannesburg on Friday night and in Cape Town on Sunday.

South African bands the Springbok Nude Girls and the Finkelstiens are the support acts.

The Offspring - friends since high school - formed in 1984. A decade later they had a breakthrough with their third album Smash, which included instant hits Come Out and Play, and Self Esteem.

According to Big Concerts, the album sold more than 11 million copies worldwide and hit number four on the Billboard Top 200 albums chart.
Subsequent albums Ixnay on the Hombre, Americana and Conspiracy of One followed a similar pattern. The Americana number one single, Pretty Fly (for a white guy) was downloaded 22 million times over a 10-week period, landing it the number one spot on Rolling Stone's Top Pirated Internet Songs chart.
Hit That, the first single from the band's seventh and latest album, Splinter, reached number one on the Modern Rock Tracks chart.

According to Billboard, The Offspring remain among "only a handful of rock acts that emerged in the early 90s (that) have released music that has maintained its relevance at rock radio".

Big Concerts publicist Lara Cohen said on Thursday tickets for both concerts were still available and could be bought at Computicket.

Tour itinerary
September 24 - The Dome, Johannesburg
September 26 - Bellville Velodrome, Cape Town

Bookings
Computicket
Computicket Call Centre - 083 915 8000
On the net:
www.bigconcerts.co.za
www.5fm.co.za
www.theoffspring.com

Source : http://www.news24.com/News24/Entertainment/Local/0,,2-1225-1242_1594041,00.html

Gustavo
07-30-2009, 03:08 PM
Go to South Africa! It's about time, it's been 5 years since they went there. Time to return! Marika and many other fans are crazy for them to see you guys again! :D

randman21
07-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Oooh, I didn't know they did two dates there. Yeah, it's time to come back.

Blitz!
08-10-2009, 08:04 AM
Oooh, I didn't know they did two dates there.

It is usually the norm for any band to do two show in South Africa and the destinations are usually the same, name Johannesburg and Cape Town.

In February, the Splinter World Tour kicks off in full force in Europe followed by 2 legs of dates in the US, then Australia, Japan & Asia, back to Europe, South Africa (for the first time ever), South America and finally the band wraps up the tour headlining the Holiday Havoc festival in Anaheim, California on November 14. 97 shows, 22 countries, 161,682 miles and many an empty beer bottle.

Source : http://www.rebelwaltz.com/theoffspring.html

Rutegard
08-10-2009, 08:29 AM
we will keep giving them letter suntil they go lol

Blitz!
08-10-2009, 02:26 PM
we will keep giving them letter suntil they go lol

Absolutely, if one doesn't ask, one will never receive :)

Rutegard
08-10-2009, 02:30 PM
well, exactly :D

SA has a rightTOO!!!

JANNY
08-18-2009, 02:08 AM
HEY MARIKA IM WITH YOU TOO :D
WE HAVE TO FIGHT AND I BELIEVE THE OFFSPRING WILL BE THERE:cool::eek:

Blitz!
11-06-2009, 01:04 PM
A new addition to the South African archive

http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp70/m_rogue/TheOffspring-TourArchive-September2.jpg

Courtesy of m.offspring.r ... thanks Migs :)

Now, if only I can find some pictures of those shows, all will be right with the world ;)

Rutegard
11-08-2009, 01:28 PM
huumm maybe H25 has some....

Blitz!
11-09-2009, 12:36 PM
I don't believe that he does ... but I haven't actually asked, so maybe I should do that :p

When searching for picture of the 2004 tour, all I come across is people complaining about the lack of pictures :(