PDA

View Full Version : best 2009 albums so far?

renato piquette
06-21-2009, 01:17 PM
anyone suggesting good albums released this year?

IamSam
06-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Billy Talent III
[/THREAD]

Desperado
06-21-2009, 01:42 PM
Wale - Back to the Feature

Static_Martyr
06-21-2009, 02:17 PM
Well, I only have two albums from this year so far, but I really like 'em both:

-21st Century Breakdown (Green Day...duh)
-Let The Dominoes Fall (Rancid)

They're both quite different from what the bands normally do.

Marco
06-21-2009, 02:18 PM
The High End Of Low, Marilyn Manson
21st Century Breakdown, Green Day
Grey Britain, The Gallows
Chickenfoot, Chickenfoot

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
06-21-2009, 02:18 PM
Silversun Pickups - Swoon
Propagandhi - Supporting Caste

jacknife737
06-21-2009, 03:53 PM
A lot of my favorite albums so far have been from well established bands. Most of my more anticipated releases aren't getting put out until later in the year.

Nofx- Coaster
Arguably on par with their best; Orphan Year has turned into my favorite song of theirs.

Ranicd- Let the Dominos Fall
A perfect summer record. Lots of catchy ska, just wish there was a bit more Lars.

New Found Glory – Not Without a Fight
Nothing groundbreaking, but just fun, catchy pop-punk. It easily eclipses their previous two full lengths.

Propaghandi – Supporting Caste
I’ve never been much of a Prop fan, but I reluctantly decided to check it out, and was pleasantly surprised. A solid record, but I don’t think they quite live up to the hype that others give them.

Green Day 2st Century Breakdown
I'm a fanboy, and wasn't disappointed by this one. Not without it's faults, but there isn't a song that i actively dislike, and the Static Age has become one of my favorite songs by the band.

Sights and Sounds – Monolith
They didn’t really think they’d be something that I’d listen to, but I was shocked when I first heard some of their stuff; they sound almost like an early Jimmy Eat World mixed with just a hint of Alkaline Trio. I doubt many outside of Canuckastan will have heard of them though. (their song, Reconsile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3bQt1LvLtU )

Phil594
06-21-2009, 04:06 PM
Well...there's that new Mars Volta album.
And The Strokes are gonna release a new album sometime soon..:cool:

coke_a_holic
06-21-2009, 04:09 PM
Oh jesus, um

Manchester Orchestra's Mean Everything To Nothing is my favorite of the year so far

Titus Andronicus' The Airing Of Grievances is FANTASTIC

Bomb The Music Industry's Scrambles, of course

Neko Case's Middle Cyclone was even better than I expected

Art Brut Vs. Satan

Fuckin' Battlehooch's Piecechow was excellent

mewithoutYou's new one was a great cd, REALY different, really cool.

Oh, and Cursive! Of course! Sweet. Good year!

Rooster
06-21-2009, 04:16 PM
Well, here are my picks:

Elvis Jackson: Against The Gravity (a largely unknown band from Slovenia, but this album is fantastic, a lot of energetic and melodic punk rock songs, and also some reggae tracks, the download link is somewhere in the Elvis Jackson thread in this section of the forum, if you want to check, it's really catchy)

Rancid: Let The Dominoes Fall (i have the expanded version with an acoustic CD and DVD, great additions)

Anti-Flag: The People or The Gun (really nice return from them, by far better than anything they've put out on RCA)

NOFX: Coaster

Static_Martyr
06-21-2009, 05:56 PM
OH SNAP I totally forgot Coaster! Coaster kicks ass :D

renato piquette
06-21-2009, 07:45 PM
woah!a lot of you are talking about rancid´s new stuff,iwill definately check that album,well,i really like the sounds´ new album "crossing the rubicon",i will also check green day´s new album

RageAndLov
06-22-2009, 11:42 AM
The best records so far in 2009 for me (haven´t bought too many records from this year):

Green Day - 21st Century Breakdown
It´s a good album, following on the same track as one of the greatest albums ever: American Idiot.

Classic of Love - Walking in Shadows EP
Awesome EP from legend Jesse Michaels new band. Melodic hardcore punk with the same intensity as Operation Ivy and Common Rider! (Rancid, listen to your ex-band member and learn!)

NOFX - Coaster:
It´s good, but not their best

Eminem - Relapse:
Eminem is a classic!

coke_a_holic
06-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Man, you guys gotta listen to new music... Seriously. NoFX and Rancid? They stopped being interesting you guys, there's new music that's blowing them out of the water.

Also, if Ricky doesn't post in here, I'm gonna have to add IAYD's Intergalactic because it was so so so good.

Sidewinder
06-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Neko Case's Middle Cyclone

This, and

This, and

That.

Edit1: "It's Not Me, It's You" by Lily Allen

Edit2: Did the Fischerspooner album ever come out?

Grimesy da Offspringfan
06-22-2009, 01:43 PM
Um,
Papa Roach-Metamorphosis
Green Day-21st Century Breakdown
NOFX-Coaster
And i'm looking forward to hear Megadeth's Endgame in september

Superdope
06-22-2009, 02:08 PM
Eels - Hombre Lobo: 12 songs of Desire

Mastodon - Crack the Skye

Manic Street Preachers - Journal for Plague Lovers

holy shit, that's it.

BUT
Being as cunning as I am, I've managed to get a hold of Clutch's new album Strange Cousins from the West, and it's one of their best. recommendable to everyone, not just Clutch fans. You need this record, you just don't know it yet.

Llamas
06-22-2009, 03:40 PM
Regina Spektor - Far

Girl in a Coma - Trio BC

Lily Allen - It's Not Me It's You

Mandy Moore - Amanda Leigh (shut up, it's awesome)

Tinted Windows - Tinted Windows

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz

That's all I got... all female singers besides Tinted Windows... seems my taste in music has shifted quite a bit, haha.

Alison
06-22-2009, 04:39 PM
I cant really think right now...but...

Anti-Flag - The People Or The Gun.

I haven't really listened to much new music properly!
I have Manchester Orchestra's "Mean Everything to Nothing" and the new Dinosaur Jr album. But havent listened to either properly yet...

WebDudette
06-22-2009, 04:56 PM
mewithoutYou - it's all crazy! it's all false! it's all a dream! it's alright
Manchester Orchestra - Mean Everything to Nothing
Presumably the new Touché Amoré album.

Uhh... that is really all I can think of.

Rooster
06-22-2009, 04:57 PM
...and the new Dinosaur Jr album. But havent listened to either properly yet...

Hey, i didn't even know about this album! I bought Beyond last year (Pick Me Up is fantastic!), but i really didn't even know that this new album is going to be released (actually today's the release day, the 23rd), i have to check this out...

Jakebert
06-24-2009, 10:13 AM
1.) Animal Collective- Merriweather Post Pavillion
2.) Andrew Bird- Noble Beast
3.) Neko Case- Middle Cyclone
4.) Iron and Wine- Around the Well
5.) Manic Street Preachers- Journal For Plague Lovers
6.) Woods- Songs of Shame
7.) St. Vincent- Actor
8.) Sonic Youth- The Eternal
9.) Dinosaur Jr.- Farm
10.) The Thermals- Now We Can See

T-6005
06-24-2009, 11:21 AM
To add one not mentioned

Placebo - Battle for the Sun

Outerspaceman21
06-24-2009, 02:50 PM
Hit The Switch - Observing Infinities

Good album. Thats it for me.

- -Lauren- -
06-25-2009, 02:15 AM
OCTAHEDRON - The Mars Volta. I bought it yesterday and it was love at first listen. It definitely sounds more like De-loused in the Comatorium versus The Bedlam in Goliath. It gets insanely crazy at times, but can also be soothing. "Since We've Been Wrong" reminds me of both "Televators" from De-loused and "The Widow" from Frances the Mute.

Invaders Must Die - The Prodigy. This is an excellent album as well. I've been spreading this album around like herpes. But I don't have herpes. ANYWAYS, I've got a ton of my friends hooked, this album is addicting. "Omen" is an amazing single as is "Warrior's Dance," but "Colours" has to be one of my personal favorites.

I've been meaning to listen to NoFX's and Placebo's new releases, I'm sure they won't disappoint. I've yet to listen to 21st Century Breakdown either, perhaps I'm just not motivated to try it out because I hear my mother blasting American Idiot every night in the shower.

I'm excited to hear the new Regina Spektor, Anti-Flag, and Lily Allen as well.

But Octahedron is a must-listen. Go. Now.

Harleyquiiinn
06-25-2009, 02:26 AM
To add one not mentioned

Placebo - Battle for the Sun

I've got a question for this. Is it more like a "Sleeping With Ghosts" album or more like a... normal Placebo album ? :)

Forza
06-25-2009, 04:39 AM
John Frusciante - The Empyrean.

jacknife737
06-25-2009, 03:23 PM
Lily Allen as well.

Ha! I've been meaning to check this out for a while now, but had momentarily forggten about it.... i'll have to download it tonight.

nieh
06-25-2009, 03:29 PM
The new Lily Allen was not very good. It has a couple decent songs, but nothing on it is anywhere near as good as every single song was on her debut.

Sidewinder
06-25-2009, 11:02 PM
The new Lily Allen was not very good. It has a couple decent songs, but nothing on it is anywhere near as good as every single song was on her debut.

Really? I find it very fun to listen to, even if not quite as great.

coke_a_holic
06-26-2009, 12:50 AM
The new Lily Allen disappointed me, but it wasn't bad. It was no Alright, Still, though.

T-6005
06-26-2009, 10:03 AM
I've got a question for this. Is it more like a "Sleeping With Ghosts" album or more like a... normal Placebo album ? :)

I mentioned it in the chat, but just for anyone else who'd like to know.

This album continues in the tradition of Meds - so if you liked Meds, chances are you'll like Battle for the Sun.

para_bellum
06-26-2009, 11:08 AM
ok_vinyl! EP :D

http://ifolder.ru/11795226

MAXTER
06-26-2009, 11:48 AM
Until Today:
Sunrise Avenue - Popgasm :)

RageAndLov
06-26-2009, 03:00 PM
Oh, I forgot about Matt & Kim!
They came with "Grand" the day Obama became president, and it's nice indiepop which always makes me smile.

kaylae
06-26-2009, 03:57 PM
Eminem - relapse xx

jacknife737
06-26-2009, 05:28 PM
Oh, I forgot about Matt & Kim!
They came with "Grand" the day Obama became president, and it's nice indiepop which always makes me smile.

Shit, I can't believe i forgot to mention that album! It's become one of my favorite releases of the year so far, will most likely be in my top 5 of the year!

I too can't help smile when i listen, even when the lyrics are a bit morbid!

Genocide17
07-03-2009, 03:10 PM
Anti-Flag: The People or the Gun

T.S.O.L.: Life. Liberty and the Pursuit of Free Downloads

Dr. Speedo
07-03-2009, 08:10 PM
The Friday Night Boys- Off the Deep End
Taking Back Sunday- New Again
There For Tomorrow- A Little Faster

All were great, highly recommended!

Smash_Returns
07-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Based on the one song I've heard from it: Black Gives Way To Blue - Alice In Chains

Other Picks:
Swoon - Silversun Pickups

(Most that I want this year haven't released yet)

KyleW
07-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Not enough love for Billy Talent III so far, its a great album.

holland25
07-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Definitely The Prodigy - Invaders Must Die, Necrophobic - Death to All, Papa Roach - Metamorphosis, Static-X - Cult of Static, Hatebreed - For the Lions and Korpiklaani - Karkelo.

coke_a_holic
07-05-2009, 03:30 PM
Dude, can you up the new Korpiklaani cd? I would appreciate it.

Also: The Rural Alberta Advantage is re-issued 2008's Hometowns through Saddle Creek this week... and listening to it gives me the chills. I count it as 2009.

holland25
07-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Yes, give me a few minutes.

EDIT:

http://rapidshare.com/files/252389381/6.Karkelo__2009_.rar

jacknife737
07-05-2009, 03:55 PM
Yeah, i've got a reissue to add....

Frank Turner - Love Ire and Song

It's so good, right now, arguably my favorite album of the year. His stuff has as much energy and anger as any punk album, but musically it's not aggressive like say the folkish early Against Me!. Plus the guys is just so damn charming....

And the lyrics... oh god the lyrics

Well a teacher of mine once told me
That life was just a list of disappoints and defeats
And you could only do your best,
And I said "That's a fucking cop-out, you're just washed up and your tired, and when I get to your age I won't be such a coward"
But these day I sit at home, known to shout at my TV
And Punk Rock didn't live up to what I hoped that it could be
And all the things that I believed with all my heart when I was young
Are just coasters for beers and clean surfaces for drugs
And I packed all my pamphlets with my bibles at the back of the shelf

Well I guess I should confess that I am starting to get old
All the latest music fads all passed me by and left me cold
All the kids are talking slang I won't pretend to understand
All my friends are getting married, mortagages and pension plans
And it's obvious my angry adolescent days are done
And I'm happy and I'm settled in the person I've become
But that doesn't mean I'm settled up and sitting out the game
Time may change alot but some things may stay the same

coke_a_holic
07-05-2009, 04:19 PM
Holland25: Thanks!

Alex: Where do I start with Frank Turner? I feel like I should already love him, but I just never got started with him. Could you upload somethin' hot?

nieh
07-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Also: The Rural Alberta Advantage is re-issued 2008's Hometowns through Saddle Creek this week... and listening to it gives me the chills. I count it as 2009.

What's it sound like? I'm downloading it now.

I heard Korpiklaani in a friend's car not long ago, they're a good time but sounded more like a slightly heavier Dropkick Murpheys than they probably would like to admit.

coke_a_holic
07-05-2009, 07:32 PM
They sound like if... um. Okay, let's see if I can word this:

Neutral Milk Hotel became The Weakerthans and kicked out half of its members, then hired the drummer from Q And Not U. Oh, then asked the producer to make it sound like they recorded all of their music on boomboxes a la The Mountain Goats.

Yeah? It's fucking great. I'm putting it on my blog tomorrow night.

RageAndLov
07-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Shit, I can't believe i forgot to mention that album! It's become one of my favorite releases of the year so far, will most likely be in my top 5 of the year!

I too can't help smile when i listen, even when the lyrics are a bit morbid!

Cool! I thought I was the only one listening to them.

T.S.O.L.: Life. Liberty and the Pursuit of Free Downloads

I did not like that album at all. The first track was okay, the rest was pretty boring.

jacknife737
07-05-2009, 10:00 PM
Alex: Where do I start with Frank Turner? I feel like I should already love him, but I just never got started with him. Could you upload somethin' hot?

He has two full length's, and his newest (Love Ire and Song) is the best of the two, so here you go! http://rapidshare.com/files/252463553/Love_Ire___Song.rar.html

My usual upload site isn't working at the moment, so let me know if this didn't work.

I'll upload his other album like tomorrow.

coke_a_holic
07-05-2009, 11:09 PM
Today is a good day: hooked up not once but twice!

Thank you, sir!

zsk
07-06-2009, 10:27 AM
NOFX-Coaster

In Extremo-Am goldenen Rhein(live)

Iron Maiden-Flight 666(OST)

coke_a_holic
07-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Alex: WMA files? =( My audio converter doesn't work.

jacknife737
07-06-2009, 11:10 PM
Mike; will this one work?
http://rapidshare.com/files/252877787/Frank_Turner_II.rar.html

Please keep in mind that i'm incredibly useless at this sort of thing...

coke_a_holic
08-30-2009, 11:44 PM
Jeez, so many good albums are out... I don't even know how to come up with the list...

Right now, I'm stickin' with The Rural Alberta Advantage as my favorite of the year. Though, St. Vincent's newest is beautiful upon further listens... and every other cool band is doing things that I like, too. Gah, I might just make a list of all the albums of 2009 that I really liked... it's so hard to imagine that there's even more coming out...

Oh, plus Brand New's new record just leaked and it's fucking INTENSE. Sweet.

Llamas
08-31-2009, 05:00 AM

Just wanted to mention that it's a bit unfair to compare the new album to her debut, because she didn't do any writing on the first album (just contributed lyrics). On the new one, she at least helped with all the songs. It's a big step for her as a musician, and even if the music isn't as good, it's more real... so that makes it take a few steps up for me.

Anyway, I'm behind on albums this year with my recent move... there have been SO MANY good album so far, and I just looked at a list of upcoming releases still... albums that I've excitedly grabbed or am excited for (so yeah not as much a best of list but that combined with what I'm looking forward to):

Imogen Heap - Elipse
This album is incredible. It's at least as good as Speak for Yourself, if not better.

Katie Todd - Mumbled Speech
well I just got into her, and she's fantastic... I've listened to her album way too many times in the last couple months.

Sister Hazel - Release
These guys used to be my favorite band for a little while... I'm not hugely into them anymore, but I still enjoy their releases. The last two LPs disappointed, but this one is promising. They're starting to experiment a bit.

Static X - Cult of Static
This band is sort of a guilty pleasure for me, but I love them. This album disappointed quite a lot. It seems like they tried to go back to their early sound, but failed. The last two releases were much better than this... In fact, this is possibly their weakest along with Machine.

Collective Soul - Rabbit
Haven't heard yet - way excited!

The Used - Artwork
Another guilty pleasure... they've not disappointed yet, but I've not heard this one yet... excited.

Jay Z - Blueprint 3
Haven't heard this yet, either, but I'm stoked! The last couple Jay Z releases have been mediocre... I'm anticipating something good, especially as I really like the single.

Mika - the boy who knew too much
I'm also way excited for this album... his debut is still up there on my frequently played list.

AFI - Crash Love
God I hope this album isn't like the last one... I listened to Black Sails in Sunset the other day and I remembered how much I loved this band.

Nelly Furtado - Mi Plan
I hope this isn't like her last one, as well... but I generally like her stuff, we'll see.

Squirrel Nut Zippers - Lost at Sea
I thought they broke up! I LOVE these guys! sooo excited, they never disappoint.

Tegan and Sara - Sainthood
Yessss! They're also another one that never disappoints...

I'll be back after I hear some of these albums :P

RageAndLov
08-31-2009, 05:30 AM
Government Warning is one of my favourite bands, and they came out with an LP and EP this summer. I ordered them last night, and after what I heard from their Myspace, their new stuff will be just as awesome as what they've done before.

IMO GW's the best hardcore punk band that is active today. Inspired by '80s hardcore.

Their album is called Paranoid Mess and the EP is called Executed.

Songs from all their releases are found here: http://www.myspace.com/governmentwarningrva

nieh
08-31-2009, 07:33 AM
Just wanted to mention that it's a bit unfair to compare the new album to her debut, because she didn't do any writing on the first album (just contributed lyrics). On the new one, she at least helped with all the songs. It's a big step for her as a musician, and even if the music isn't as good, it's more real... so that makes it take a few steps up for me.

I know I've given her props elsewhere for getting involved with the songwriting on this one, but that doesn't change the fact that it doesn't pass the "do I enjoy listening to this?" test.

I don't remember what's come out this year aside from the new mewithoutYou which was pretty sweet, even though there were like 2-3 songs that didn't thrill me on it. I'm looking forward to the new Flaming Lips, Pearl Jam and Themselves albums. OH! The Themselves mixtape came out earlier this year and was lots of fun, though a bit inconsistent. If the fact that they had as many awesome songs on there as they did is any indication, then their actual studio album coming out in October should be awesome.

coke_a_holic
08-31-2009, 10:14 AM
Llamas, I think you would love St. Vincent... It's got everything you're gay for:

Woodwinds, chick singers... umm, yeah that's pretty much what it's got. Plus some ridiculously fuzzy guitar work on top of beautiful clean music. Just a really cool band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zVlr-ynnAI

EDIT: if anyone watches the video, be sure to get at least a minute in before judging. Word.

Superdope
08-31-2009, 12:25 PM
I'm adding these to my list:

Arctic Monkeys - Humbug

Clutch - Strange Cousins from the West

Biblical proof of UFOs - They Come from the Future

Masters of Reality - Pine/Cross Dover

Fantastic albums. I'm really blown away by the new Arctic Monkeys release. I'm somewhat of a casual fan, but Humbug just might be their best. It sounds like a soundtrack to a Sergio Leone film.

nieh
08-31-2009, 12:30 PM
I'm really blown away by the new Arctic Monkeys release. I'm somewhat of a casual fan, but Humbug just might be their best.

That's because you want to do Josh Homme.

Superdope
08-31-2009, 12:34 PM
That's because you want to do Josh Homme.

Yes I do. Very much so.

Llamas
08-31-2009, 12:37 PM
I know I've given her props elsewhere for getting involved with the songwriting on this one, but that doesn't change the fact that it doesn't pass the "do I enjoy listening to this?" test.
Yeah, I do see where you're coming from. I never listened to the first album cause she didn't do the writing, so I can't compare... but I enjoy the new album.

Llamas, I think you would love St. Vincent... It's got everything you're gay for:

Woodwinds, chick singers... umm, yeah that's pretty much what it's got. Plus some ridiculously fuzzy guitar work on top of beautiful clean music. Just a really cool band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zVlr-ynnAI

lol! I'm gay for girl singers and woodwinds... shit you know me too well ;)

This is super quirky and fun. It doesn't hit me as hard as, say, Amanda Palmer did, but I like it for what it is. The singer has a nice voice, though it's a bit generic sounding... The sax parts are pretty fun, if somewhat basic. I'll have to look more into this... it's very different, and I like that.

nieh
08-31-2009, 01:22 PM
Yeah, I do see where you're coming from. I never listened to the first album cause she didn't do the writing, so I can't compare... but I enjoy the new album.

You listen to rappers who don't write their own music and orchestras that don't write their own music, why is Lily Allen being held to different standards?

Apathy
09-01-2009, 10:17 AM
Most good rappers write their own music and orchestras are obviously a different situation entirely due to the sheer amount/replacability of the members. Not to mention I would classify an orchestra as more a performance based music meaning that it's meant to be seen in person in a huge hall whereas your Lily Allen CD is perfectly fine sitting in your stereo.

Even if none of that is true, she's being held to different standards because most serious artists can and do write their own music.

that being said I have been known to enjoy her.

LEXA-the Dexter-FAN
09-01-2009, 10:30 AM
a great new album is J.B.O. I don't like metal...I love it!

Llamas
09-01-2009, 10:47 AM
You listen to rappers who don't write their own music and orchestras that don't write their own music, why is Lily Allen being held to different standards?

Nearly every pop artist I listen to writes his/her/their own music. I have a very hard time with the musicians I like that DON'T write their own music (Jay Z is one of those very few - I'm pretty sure he's the only rapper I like who doesn't write his music).

Classical music is a completely different game. Obviously Gustav Holst couldn't have played his symphonies by himself, so he hired people to perform and record them. But how a symphony is written is not comparable to how the music in a pop song is written. I have higher expectations for pop music because the amount of effort it takes to write the lyrics for and sing a 3 minute pop song is not comparable to the amount of effort it takes to learn and perform an hour-long symphony. I hope I'm making sense...

Most good rappers write their own music and orchestras are obviously a different situation

Even if none of that is true, she's being held to different standards because most serious artists can and do write their own music.

that being said I have been known to enjoy her.

I edited it down to everything I agree with. :)

coke_a_holic
09-01-2009, 11:29 AM
This is super quirky and fun. It doesn't hit me as hard as, say, Amanda Palmer did, but I like it for what it is. The singer has a nice voice, though it's a bit generic sounding... The sax parts are pretty fun, if somewhat basic. I'll have to look more into this... it's very different, and I like that.

Well, I mean, Amanda Palmer is a force of nature. I think that St. Vincent is cool mostly because their songs are very cool and quiet, but she does these ridiculously fuzzy and nasty guitar solos underneath all of it. It's pretty interesting hearing the mixtures of the sounds. Seeing them live was a really neat experience.

Little_Miss_1565
09-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Metric "Fantasies"
Neko Case "Middle Cyclone"
Mastodon "Crack the Skye"
Clutch "Strange Cousins from the West"
Fever Ray S/T
Bell Orchestre "As Seen Through Windows"
Bat for Lashes "Two Suns"

jacknife737
09-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Frank Turner - Poetry of the Deed
omg, so good.

I just ordered two records that may also be in contentiond for my favorite this year, the new Banner Pilot and Teenage Bottlerocket.

Still waiting for;

Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Nothington
Alkaline Trio (may be a '10 release)
Off With Their Heads (their new comp)

Llamas
09-02-2009, 11:34 AM
Didn't know ak3 was putting out a new album. Agony and Irony was sort of a disappointment, and Crimson was only alright. I wonder if they've got another Good Mourning in them...

nieh
09-02-2009, 12:17 PM
Horse the Band, Muse, Why? and Electric Six all have new albums coming out in the next month as well.
And Kyp Mallone from TVOTR's solo project. And possibly a new Guster cd before the year's out, though it might come out next year instead.

jacknife737
09-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Didn't know ak3 was putting out a new album. Agony and Irony was sort of a disappointment, and Crimson was only alright. I wonder if they've got another Good Mourning in them...

Bands say this a lot, but it is going to be a "back to basics" sort of thing. It's a a self release, Matt Allison is producing it he worked with them on Good Mourning and From Here to the Infirmary. Skiba described the stuff so far as a "punk rock" record and different from their past couple albums.

Llamas
09-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Well here's hoping. Goddamnit and Good Mourning are fantastic albums, as well as Maybe I'll Catch Fire. If they could put out anything along that vein, I'd be stoked. Agony and Irony was just so blah... none of the songs really stood out :-/ I'll check it out regardless, though... I really dig them. Did you like Heavens? I actually really enjoyed that album.

jacknife737
09-02-2009, 03:28 PM
I liked Heavens quite a bit, actually. There were talks about getting a second album out, but i think Skiba and the other dude had a bit of a falling out or something.

Agony And Irony had some good pop-songs on it, but wasn't on par with their earlier stuff.

Harleyquiiinn
09-02-2009, 04:29 PM
I'm adding these to my list:

Arctic Monkeys - Humbug

Clutch - Strange Cousins from the West

Biblical proof of UFOs - They Come from the Future

Masters of Reality - Pine/Cross Dover

Fantastic albums. I'm really blown away by the new Arctic Monkeys release. I'm somewhat of a casual fan, but Humbug just might be their best. It sounds like a soundtrack to a Sergio Leone film.

Ah I thought "oh Superdope, he likes the Eels, I'm gonna read that message". (Not that I don't read the other ones, though)

Arctic monkeys is gooooooood.

I don't know the other ones but I am definitely going to check Biblical proof of UFOs. When a band has such a name, you have to listen to it.

Speaking of good band names, and since you are danish, do you know the Asteroid Galaxy Tour ? I saw them at Rock en Seine and thought it was not bad at all

Superdope
09-03-2009, 02:13 AM
Ah I thought "oh Superdope, he likes the Eels, I'm gonna read that message". (Not that I don't read the other ones, though)

Arctic monkeys is gooooooood.

I don't know the other ones but I am definitely going to check Biblical proof of UFOs. When a band has such a name, you have to listen to it.

Speaking of good band names, and since you are danish, do you know the Asteroid Galaxy Tour ? I saw them at Rock en Seine and thought it was not bad at all

I actually mentioned Hombre Lobo in an earlier post, so it definitely was on my mind.

I've heard about The Asteroid Galaxy Tour, but never really noticed their music. Just checked them on myspace. They're pretty cool.

Also, you should start with Interstellar Messages (http://www.mediafire.com/?dujmtwwmzmy). I find that to be Biblical Proof of UFOs most accesible.

Punkrock1907
09-03-2009, 05:04 AM
i can say that clearly the people or the gun by anti flag

they are going to be more melodic with every new record

its so strange coz they are close to anarcho and street punk

but their sound is so permanet and melodies are easy

Harleyquiiinn
09-03-2009, 05:53 AM
I actually mentioned Hombre Lobo in an earlier post, so it definitely was on my mind.

I've heard about The Asteroid Galaxy Tour, but never really noticed their music. Just checked them on myspace. They're pretty cool.

Also, you should start with Interstellar Messages (http://www.mediafire.com/?dujmtwwmzmy). I find that to be Biblical Proof of UFOs most accesible.

Thanks Superdope ! :)

dav0147
09-22-2009, 11:56 AM
she is well fit

dav0147
09-22-2009, 12:00 PM
green day - 21st century breakdown - love viva la gloria ( the 1st one and murder city)
gallows - grey britain - i dread the night is class
Arctic monkeys - humbug - its not bad 9like cornerstone and dangerous animals)
Robbie williams is having a new album out, hope its better than rudebox lol

Rooster
09-22-2009, 03:31 PM
Well, here are my picks:

Elvis Jackson: Against The Gravity (a largely unknown band from Slovenia, but this album is fantastic, a lot of energetic and melodic punk rock songs, and also some reggae tracks, the download link is somewhere in the Elvis Jackson thread in this section of the forum, if you want to check, it's really catchy)

Rancid: Let The Dominoes Fall (i have the expanded version with an acoustic CD and DVD, great additions)

Anti-Flag: The People or The Gun (really nice return from them, by far better than anything they've put out on RCA)

NOFX: Coaster

I'd like to add these albums among my picks:

Alice In Chains: Black Gives Way To Blue (heavy as hell, all songs are excellent and while DuVall is not Layne he does a pretty damn good job. Cantrell is singing lead on most songs, but DuVall does a great job whenever his voice is heard. Vocal harmonies are excellent, just as they were in the past. It does sound like Alice In Chains)

Pearl Jam: Backspacer (catchy album with some really energetic songs. Probably Pearl Jam's "happiest" album to date)

I'm really glad that real grunge albums are still being released...

jacknife737
09-22-2009, 04:03 PM
The new Frank Turner is probably my front runner at the moment for album of the year.

I should be getting the new Teenage Bottlerocket and Banner Pilot tomorrow, so i'll see then if I have a new frontrunner.

Big releases that i'm still waiting on is the new Bosstones, Nothington and Off With Their Heads comp.

Zee
09-22-2009, 04:19 PM
Definitely The Knob - Call To Arms. No doubt about it. This band gets better and better all the time.

RageAndLov
09-22-2009, 05:28 PM
Oh I forgot!
Government Warning - Paranoid Mess LP
Government Warning - Executed EP

Those two records came in summer 2009, and excist only on vinyl.
Government Warning is perhaps the best active hardcore punk band of them all! Such intensity and clever lyrics! If you like '80s hardcore, then you will love GW. Easily, one of my top three bands .

MAXTER
09-22-2009, 05:41 PM
AFI - Crash Love

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
09-22-2009, 05:54 PM
Gee, what a surprise.

I like it and all, but I don't think it's good enough to hold that title.

dexter12296566
09-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Jason Mraz (I don't know the name of the album, I bought the songs off iTunes)

MrLKK
09-26-2009, 06:48 PM
Sound of Madness - Shinedown
Love it!
21st Century Breakdown - Green Day
I do like American Idiot and Dookie better but 21 Guns blew me away
Brand New Eyes - Paramore
Not much to say, love the mainstream songs

IAmARevenant
09-29-2009, 11:00 PM
1. Imogen Heap - Ellipse
2. The Antlers - Hospice
3. Billy Talent - Billy Talent III
4. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz!
5. Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion

jacknife737
10-01-2009, 12:21 AM
At the moment, i think that Teenage Bottlerocket may be surpassing Frank Turner for my favorite this year.

I'll be spinning the new Banner Pilot next for the first time, and i'll see if i have yet another favorite.

Alison
10-02-2009, 02:51 PM
Brand New - Daisy