PDA

View Full Version : puppy questions.

_Lost_
06-21-2009, 06:56 PM
so we have this new puppy Jupiter.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b147/lost_nvrfound/IMG_1676.jpg

Problem is, we are having trouble getting him to eat. We've been mixing wet food with his puppy chow which gets him to eat a little. The only other thing we've had much luck getting him to consume is milk. Any suggestions?

Little_Miss_1565
06-21-2009, 07:00 PM
How old is he?

_Lost_
06-21-2009, 07:02 PM
11 weeks old

Little_Miss_1565
06-21-2009, 07:04 PM
Hmm. The only reason I could think of for him to not want to eat food and only want milk instead is if he was too young, but it doesn't sound like it. He's super cute, though. Have you taken him to the vet?

univonc
06-21-2009, 07:06 PM
We used to use warm milk to soften the food, then eventually to wet food then to dry.

I just lost my best bud last week after 9 years. Airdale Terrier.

nieh
06-21-2009, 07:06 PM
Puppy!

He's old enough that he should be able to eat food as opposed to milk, maybe he's just not that eager to make the change? If you continue to give him milk when he doesn't eat, he might continue to not eat because he's getting what he wants.

_Lost_
06-21-2009, 07:12 PM
Have you taken him to the vet?
we haven't yet. won't have any money till the end of the week.

We used to use warm milk to soften the food, then eventually to wet food then to dry.
I've considered this.

He's old enough that he should be able to eat food as opposed to milk, maybe he's just not that eager to make the change? If you continue to give him milk when he doesn't eat, he might continue to not eat because he's getting what he wants.
The guy who we got him from said that he had been feeding them puppy chow mixed with wet food and that they loved it. I didn't try giving him milk till today because we've had him for more than a week and he's hardly eaten this week and is getting kind of thin.

_Lost_
06-21-2009, 07:22 PM
univonc, I just mixed some warm milk in with his puppy chow and he scarfed it down. thanks!

Little_Miss_1565
06-21-2009, 07:29 PM
Yay puppy!

Omni
06-21-2009, 07:30 PM
I'm so ashamed of myself. I took one look at that picture, and an audible "aww" came out of my mouth before I even had a chance to think.

Thomas
06-21-2009, 10:56 PM
You could ship the puppy to me, if you want. That'll take care of the problem...

Anka
06-22-2009, 09:16 AM
try to buy him another kind of dog food... some dogs like only "special" kinds... or next time buy a labrador. he would eat anything that wouldn't eat him ;)

Vera
06-22-2009, 10:00 AM
Yeah, we put buttermilk with the dry food when my dog (RIP) was little. One of my friends always puts water into the dry food of her dogs; she has one puppy and another dog that is well over 4 years old. I'm not sure why, I think the dogs might prefer it that way..?

m.offspring.r
06-22-2009, 10:02 AM
_Lost_ waiting for Rutegard's advice :p

Alison
06-22-2009, 04:07 PM
When my dog was a puppy, it took her a while to eat proper food too, so we fed her baby food, more specifically, rusks. And she loved them

Tijs
06-22-2009, 04:26 PM
Try to heat his food so he can smell it better. My cat didn't want to eat for a while either but making her food warm helped.

_Lost_
06-23-2009, 05:54 AM
try to buy him another kind of dog food... some dogs like only "special" kinds... or next time buy a labrador. he would eat anything that wouldn't eat him ;)

irony! i have a 2 year old beagle lab mix. as a puppy, she was the pickiest eater i've ever seen. she was four months old when i got her though.

Rutegard
06-23-2009, 05:57 AM
yeah. try the vet! (he can be sick)

and stop giving milk to the puppy :|

edit: unless it is dog milk...

QUESTION: how is he in general? playful or quiet? does he cry when you touch his belly, press it a lil bit and see what happens. What is his poop like, can u see anything on it that might look suspicious?

don't forget to look at his mouth and teeth too, if he has some bruise it will be kinda painful to eat, and if his teeth are falling down then he might feel uncomfortable. if there is any loose u can take it off (dont recomend that lol):P

lol edit2: he might be just too young for the teeth issue but keep on investigating :P

Harleyquiiinn
06-23-2009, 06:06 AM
I'm so ashamed of myself. I took one look at that picture, and an audible "aww" came out of my mouth before I even had a chance to think.

Exactly that...

Rutegard
06-23-2009, 06:13 AM
measure his temperature and check his lymph nodes too

just to play it safe :P

then if everything is alright, just wait and he will eventually eat when he feels hungry enough :)

Anka
06-23-2009, 12:23 PM
measure his temperature and check his lymph nodes too

just to play it safe :P

then if everything is alright, just wait and he will eventually eat when he feels hungry enough :)

is this House speaking?:D

but really, I had 2 labradors and they eat everything. My young one even eats snails, lemon, pineaple,...simply everything

Rutegard
06-23-2009, 01:02 PM
is this House speaking?:D

but really, I had 2 labradors and they eat everything. My young one even eats snails, lemon, pineaple,...simply everything

my dogs eat everything too :D even garlic AHAHA

_Lost_
06-23-2009, 07:29 PM
he's eating now that i've mixed some milk in with his food. ana, i don't think "waiting till he's hungry" really applies since he barely ate for an entire week. He acts perfectly normal for a puppy. lots of mischief and what not.

univonc
06-23-2009, 08:12 PM
he's eating now that i've mixed some milk in with his food. ana, i don't think "waiting till he's hungry" really applies since he barely ate for an entire week. He acts perfectly normal for a puppy. lots of mischief and what not.

Crate the dog.

He needs his place to sleep and to stay for awhile.

Crate that dog. It makes it easier to train and keep him from "messing" around.

Beaker
06-23-2009, 10:00 PM
that is a cute puppy. can i have him?

nah just kiddin.

milk will make him do runny stuff. so its best to get him to eat solids. try the meat based can food. the premium puppy stuff. if you mix that wuth the biscuits he should eat it. if he doesn't have you considered he is vegetarian? :D

he makes me want a puppy. :) or similar.

_Lost_
06-23-2009, 10:13 PM
Crate the dog.

He needs his place to sleep and to stay for awhile.

Crate that dog. It makes it easier to train and keep him from "messing" around.

we are. that was the first thing we decided about raising him. lol

Rutegard
06-24-2009, 02:40 AM

milk...
i dunno wuts the morbid interest in milk...but ok!

u sure he wasnt eating in another local, or if someone wasnt giving him any food anyhow?

just that if an animal is not sick, and u r sure about that, then yeah, wait till hes hungry works!

keep in mind that dogs know how to trick us, wut type of a keeper would watch a dog starving without giving the best meal ever? yeah pretty much any keeper, so i dont blame u at all :P just saying that when u try everything else, its a logical way to go!

but if i were u, id drive to the vet as soon as possible!

dexter12296566
07-02-2009, 09:14 AM
mix a raw egg with his food not only will it get him to eat but it will make his coat shiny (only mix in a raw egg once a week)

Rutegard
07-02-2009, 10:59 AM
mix a raw egg with his food not only will it get him to eat but it will make his coat shiny (only mix in a raw egg once a week)

and dont forget the excess of cholesterol and proteins :P

dexter12296566
07-02-2009, 09:39 PM
try giving it cat food cuz my teachers puppy Lika would only eat dog food plus some animals eat other animal food my turtle franklin ate chicken flavored dog food and custard pie you should also have the vet check his mouth cuz if it is hurt he could be in pain when he eats

_Lost_
07-02-2009, 09:49 PM
and dont forget the excess of cholesterol and proteins :P
dogs process cholesterol and fat from raw foods much better than we do. they were designed as carnivores you know. :p

try giving it cat food cuz my teachers puppy Lika would only eat dog food plus some animals eat other animal food my turtle franklin ate chicken flavored dog food and custard pie you should also have the vet check his mouth cuz if it is hurt he could be in pain when he eats
Cat food is extremely high in calories and will only make him fat.

He eats the kibble and canned food by itself now and has doubled in size in a week.

dexter12296566
07-02-2009, 11:45 PM
jupiter is cute i like dogs but i have horrible allergies and minor asthma so i cant have one

Rutegard
07-03-2009, 02:46 AM
dogs process cholesterol and fat from raw foods much better than we do. they were designed as carnivores you know. :p

lol. u r funny.
dont compare dogs with wolfs plz
we were designed to be much better too and look at us! WE SUCK! and so do dogs! it's life baby (their genetic patrimony is SHIT) - and u know that! oh wait, and u have a beagle! even worse!

edit: let me guess, u r that type of person that also thinks that those running horses r strong and powerful animals right? oh shitz shitz shitz...

:P

_Lost_
07-03-2009, 03:01 AM
lol!

I'm really picky with what I'm willing to feed my dogs. On the rare occasion that I have to find a new food for them, it requires an excessive amount of time walking up and down the food isles at petsmart.

Rutegard
07-03-2009, 03:03 AM
lol!

I'm really picky with what I'm willing to feed my dogs. On the rare occasion that I have to find a new food for them, it requires an excessive amount of time walking up and down the food isles at petsmart.

dont u have there ROYAL CANIN?!

well...its just the best :) beats eukanuba by far!

_Lost_
07-03-2009, 03:06 AM
They've got it listed on the website. I don't know if they keep it in the store. I'll have to look for it the next time I'm there.

Rutegard
07-03-2009, 03:09 AM
They've got it listed on the website. I don't know if they keep it in the store. I'll have to look for it the next time I'm there.

its kinda expensive...but at least they get fucking healthy :)