PDA

View Full Version : Do you ACTIVELY still like The Offspring?

Sidewinder
06-22-2009, 06:47 PM
As in, do you still listen to them pretty often, more than just the occasional song or two, and/or do you consider yourself a current, active fan? It's a question I'm just kind of curious about.

coke_a_holic
06-22-2009, 06:51 PM
Nope .

Free?
06-22-2009, 06:56 PM
Well, I expected this thread's title to contain a sex-joke, but as much as I'm surprised, so far it doesn't look so.
Still, wrong section.
And yes, The Offspring is still an actual bestest in da world band to me.

Static_Martyr
06-22-2009, 06:59 PM
Hells yeah! I don't listen to 'em as often as I used to, but that's less due to a decrease in my love for them as it's due to an increase in the amount of other bands/albums I've acquired. The more I get, the less I listen to any one particular album. Although I still practice guitar by playing through most of RAFRAG from time to time, every couple of weeks (though I skip Fix You and A Lot Like Me because they're not really guitar songs...good songs, but you can't really practice guitar to those kinds of songs....).

Sidewinder
06-22-2009, 06:59 PM
Not the wrong section, really. If I posted it in GOD it'd be biased. This, I figure, is the least biased section of the board. And even people who only post in GOD normally can see it on the recent post thing and stop by.

cool 2 hate 681
06-22-2009, 07:04 PM
yes i still listen to the offspring as much as i ever did

Llamas
06-22-2009, 07:27 PM
Not the wrong section, really. If I posted it in GOD it'd be biased. This, I figure, is the least biased section of the board. And even people who only post in GOD normally can see it on the recent post thing and stop by.

The whole "more people will see it here" argument still means it's in the wrong forum :P At this point the bbs is so fucked I'm sure nobody will care... but yeah.

Anyway, Offspring sux!

Sidewinder
06-22-2009, 07:28 PM
The whole "more people will see it here" argument still means it's in the wrong forum :P At this point the bbs is so fucked I'm sure nobody will care... but yeah.

Anyway, Offspring sux!

I didn't say more, I said a less biased group.

Llamas
06-22-2009, 07:32 PM
I didn't say more, I said a less biased group.

I know, the point was trying to target a different group doesn't make it the right section. I don't really care if it's in the wrong section... but Free? was still right! Offspring is not "other bands" worthy on their own forum :P

jacknife737
06-22-2009, 07:37 PM
Yes.

I enjoy them as much today as I did when i first started listening to them, back in '98.

Twisted Mind
06-22-2009, 08:25 PM
I still like them, and even more than 10 years ago. But there are 11 songs from them in my top 25... And since it's the top 25, i listen them every day, they are my 25 favorite songs :D

I can't deny i like instrumental music and j-pop... But The Offspring is The Offspring! ;)

Outerspaceman21
06-22-2009, 08:25 PM
No, I do not. I just do this to waste my time.

WebDudette
06-22-2009, 08:26 PM
I listened to Dirty Magic the other night when I was drunk. Does that count?

Rag Doll
06-22-2009, 08:43 PM
I do, but not as much as I used to. I still listen to them, usually like in the car with my boyfriend. And I'm all fan girly about getting to see them again in a few weeks.

nieh
06-22-2009, 08:43 PM
I'm not the fanboy I once was, but I still put on their albums now and then. And RAFRAG was much better than I expected it to be. I'm looking forward to seeing them in a couple weeks.

Quagmire
06-22-2009, 10:14 PM
I'm not the fanboy I once was, but I still put on their albums now and then. And RAFRAG was much better than I expected it to be. I'm looking forward to seeing them in a couple weeks.

That pretty much sums up what I would say. I was never quite a fanboy but I was into them a lot more in the mid-late 90's.

Apathy
06-22-2009, 10:33 PM
No. Although if I hear them on the radio I tend to turn it up and sing along. Unless it's from the last four albums. I do not enjoy them.

I know, the point was trying to target a different group doesn't make it the right section. I don't really care if it's in the wrong section... but Free? was still right! Offspring is not "other bands" worthy on their own forum :P

If the question is aimed at people who post outside of GOD more frequently than people that post only in GOD, then I believe this is the right section.

IamSam
06-22-2009, 10:38 PM
I have stopped listening to them religiously just because I have discovered a ton of other new music, but they are still in my top 3 bands.

GreenTerror
06-22-2009, 11:14 PM
No.

A lot of people I know still relate the band to me from years of me being in love with them. I think it's cute. But I honestly don't have any of their music on my computer, it would be a waste of space because I never really feel inclined to listen to them. I still own all their CDs, but those are all in storage in California.

However, in the car, if I come across an Offspring song on the radio, better believe I will turn it up and sing along like my faggy 13 year old fangirl self from years ago. Just a couple weeks ago "Kick Him When He's Down" came on one night and I was overly excited about it.

Omni
06-22-2009, 11:48 PM
If there's one Offspring radio song that warrants excitement, it's Kick Him When He's Down. It's refreshing to think a radio audience will hear a song pre-Smash. I find I'm extremely picky about music, a lot of my favorite bands only have like 25 songs or so I like, and they have five or six albums. The Offspring are the only band I consistently enjoy like 9 or 10/12 songs on every single album, so they were my first real favorite band. I'm sure they'll be replaced one day when they stop making music, or be pushed back to "all-time favorite" status.

GreenTerror
06-23-2009, 12:14 AM
Yeah, the fact that it was pre-Smash definitely added to my level of excitement. It's this show a local alternative radio station here does every weeknight at 10, they play old punk-variety shit that you'd normally never EVER hear on the radio. This is what got me into all the punk nonsense when I was like, 11. I can't believe they're still doing it.

Harleyquiiinn
06-23-2009, 12:27 AM
Hmm, I'm really young in the fan community so yes... I actively still like them and listen to them pratically everyday.

What I notice too is that usually, when I get obsessed about a band it usually never lasts more than a month but with the Offspring now, it's been 6 months...

But I guess it is normal one you like a band for a very long time to listening to it a lot less... After all you know the song and if you are a fan of any band at first, it means that you like music... As someone said, it is not about not liking the band anymore, but liking other music...

Also, does anyone know why it is always more exciting to hear a song you like on the radio eventhough you have it in your mp3 player and you can listen to it all the time ? :confused:

jacknife737
06-23-2009, 12:42 AM
I have stopped listening to them religiously just because I have discovered a ton of other new music, but they are still in my top 3 bands.

Yeah, i'm kind of the same. They are easily my favorite band, but i stopped listening to the band every day when I was like 15 or so. My musical tastes have grown and expanded, but every so often i'll crack out one of their albums. Although, as of late, especially since i'm seeing them on tour in a few weeks, i've been listening to them a lot more than average. Also, RAFRAG seems to have relatively been in semi-constant rotation since it was released last year.

I don't listen to the band out of nostalgia, i just still like the music.

Edit:
General Chat would have been a better place for this thread, there seems to be one like this every couple of months and they usually end up there.

Adriann
06-23-2009, 12:48 AM
ahh I have Smash on my ipod that I'll listen to randomly but I don't listen to full albums like I used to

the_real_potomek
06-23-2009, 01:07 AM
Yes, I'm still a big fan.

Homer
06-23-2009, 01:35 AM
My love for the band was recently re-ignited from seeing them live.

They have a surprising amount of fucking awesome songs, and I am now just re-realizing this.

SmashingIxnayConspiracy
06-23-2009, 11:49 AM
Hell to the Yeah!!!

Ixnay still rocks my socks!!

Rutegard
06-23-2009, 01:35 PM
yes i still listen to the offspring as much as i ever did

thanks for writing this

mrconeman
06-23-2009, 01:55 PM
Absolutely I still do. I can say in confidence that I always will. Beyond the bbs lulz and Pretty Fly reputation, they're still a great band, which is what counts.

T-6005
06-23-2009, 02:07 PM
I'd say I passively like the band.

ad8
06-23-2009, 02:10 PM
I find myself listening to their music less and less. My respect/love for them has not decreased, though. If I "accidentally" listen to old Offspring songs I enjoy them nevertheless.

Ryder1234
06-23-2009, 03:46 PM
As previously stated by others, they're for sure, my favorite band. But I am listening to them less as my tastes expand. And like Static, I practice my guitar for the most part along to Offspring, although often I'll play some Red Hot Chili Peppers or Jack Johnson etc, because they're more of a challenge.

Gustavo
06-23-2009, 04:11 PM
Well, my Last.Fm speaks for itself
http://www.last.fm/user/igustavo

SweetTatyana
06-23-2009, 05:18 PM
Still need daily intake :)

GreenTerror
06-23-2009, 06:22 PM
I would also like to point out, that because of this place, it's hard to take a lot of The Offspring's songs seriously now.

For example, Gone Away:

AND IT FEEEEEEEELS :(:(:(:(

SweetTatyana
06-23-2009, 06:27 PM
That song is incredible, nothing could ruin it for me

univonc
06-23-2009, 08:16 PM
I am listening to IXNAY for the first time and splinter.

I prefer the Moscow Concert of 2008 to hear how they play.....

randman21
06-23-2009, 08:24 PM
This question is not really aimed at the likes of me, but yep. Still love the band as much as ever, and seeing them twice so far this year has really amped that up. I don't really understand how a person can be totally obsessed with a band as a teen, and hate them now. I mean, I still love BSB and Sugar Ray. :confused:

Also, does anyone know why it is always more exciting to hear a song you like on the radio eventhough you have it in your mp3 player and you can listen to it all the time ?
That's something that perplexes me, too. I've heard TKAA thousands of times, yet, when I heard it on the radio for the first time two nights ago while I was driving at work, I nearly wrecked the truck. And it's not even in the top half/three-quarters of my favorite Offspring songs.

Well, my Last.Fm speaks for itself
http://www.last.fm/user/igustavo
I lol'd before I even looked. MSN always has you listening to an Offy song, so I'm not surprised.

That song is incredible, nothing could ruin it for me
This. Aside from being hilarious, the "Original Prankster vs Pretty Fly" thing has actually brought those songs back for me.

Llamas
06-23-2009, 08:41 PM
I still love BSB and Sugar Ray. :confused:

wtf this totally made me wanna listen to Sugar Ray now. I think I'm gonna put on 14:59 while I shower.

Last night, I listened to the Goo Goo Dolls' "Superstar Carwash" album (which is actually still a great album, even if the band kinda sucks now). Apparently I'm starting a roll now of listening to washed up 90s pop rock bands that I used to LOVE. :)

Little_Miss_1565
06-23-2009, 09:25 PM
I would also like to point out, that because of this place, it's hard to take a lot of The Offspring's songs seriously now.

For example, Gone Away:

Y'know, despite the amount of "and it feeeeeeeeels" or "no moar hope 4 bettar dayz" that gets thrown around here, I still have nothing but the most honest luv for "Gone Away" and "Amazed" alike.

Homer
06-23-2009, 09:36 PM

For example, Gone Away:

I'm someone who's known to often bust out this line (not on these boards, however) and one day my friend asked me "Do you play that song to make fun of it, or because you actually like the song?"

I thought about it for a moment, and replied "Both."

renato piquette
06-23-2009, 09:43 PM
i like them even better than when i first listened to them (1998),i used to like them,but liked otherstuffbetter,they became my favorite band around 2002/2003

Maria Cortez
06-24-2009, 09:57 PM
my valid vote goes for a yes. the offspring (hands down) no matter what. xD

Offspring-Junkie
06-26-2009, 06:09 AM
Yes. I'm a junkie and rehab is for quitters.