PDA

View Full Version : Never been to a concert and will be going to the July 7th show

MeanBob
06-23-2009, 08:24 PM
LOL as the topic title says, I've never been to one in my life and it'll be my first show of me and my friend's (who's also going) all time favorite band.

Never moshed or none of that shenanigans.

Me, my friend, and my older brother; we're planning on going early to get up front to see them. Kinda excited to really see Dexter in person too.

Should I be scared of being in the middle of a mosh? heh :o

(P.S. - I want Dexter's hairstyle and I can't pull it off. Any tips please?)

Little_Miss_1565
06-23-2009, 08:29 PM
Re: mosh -- How old are you? How big are you? Tips and tricks here: http://www.wikihow.com/Mosh-in-a-Mosh-Pit

Re: hairdo -- Start with dry hair, apply hair gel. Twist up into spikes with your hands or use a comb in sections. Hold the section vertical and hit it with a hairdryer until it stays.

Good luck and have fun! I'm going to the show the following night.

jacknife737
06-23-2009, 08:53 PM
You may find that, going off to one of the sidessof the stage, as opposed to the middle will make for a more enjoyable experience. That way, you'll be able to avoid the majority of crowd surfers, and will be able to move in and out of the mosh/circle pit as you please.

Other than that, good luck, and have fun! I'm sure this will be a great first experience. Don't worry about going into a mosh/circle pit; you'll quickly pick up on how everything works; just make sure to try and stay on your feet and if somebody falls you pick them right up.

MeanBob
06-23-2009, 09:14 PM
Other than that, good luck, and have fun! I'm sure this will be a great first experience. Don't worry about going into a mosh/circle pit; you'll quickly pick up on how everything works; just make sure to try and stay on your feet and if somebody falls you pick them right up.

Thanks a lot jacknife737! Most definitley gonna bring in my camera. Here's hoping to them playing LAPD and Get it Right!

Thanks to Little_Miss_1565 too. I'll try that out tomorrow. Anymore tips are welcome. Although, I will say that I'd like it to be like it is in this picture
http://bxqx.com/uploads/posts/2008-06/1213451352_f436845af15a.jpg

Little_Miss_1565
06-23-2009, 09:23 PM
Hmm. Well, I dunno. What I described is how the punx do it. But Dexter's hair just looks spikey in that picture, not so much PUUUUNX. I guess just try hair gel?

Can two dudes show up to the same event with the same hairstyle? Is that a violation of bro code?

Harleyquiiinn
06-23-2009, 11:20 PM
Make sure you have eaten before... Yeah that might sound stupid but i've seen several times people fainting in the pit because of hypoglycemia or something like that... I'd let All in All explain why :D :)

Budzy
06-24-2009, 01:13 AM
Don't be afraid to mosh/circle pit!
When I went and saw the Offspring I was kicking myself afterwards I didn't go in the mosh, although I was right up the front, there wasn't much action near me.

I made up for it in Rise Against though :D.

But you should always keep a watch on your wallet, seriously, sometimes it better to put it in your front pocket rather than your back, because it's harder for people to steal. I know a few kids who have felt some kid grab their ass and next thing they know they're missly a wallet.

RyanSabotage
06-24-2009, 10:30 PM
yeah i'll be crowd surfing, i'll do my best not to kick anyone
just dont take my shoes

gabbag
06-26-2009, 05:42 AM
I will be there and although its not my first concert, it is my first Offspring concert and I am excited! :)

Phil594
06-28-2009, 09:25 AM
yeah i'll be crowd surfing, i'll do my best not to kick anyone
just dont take my shoes

I'll make sure to take your shoes.

RyanSabotage
06-28-2009, 01:49 PM
hahaha!
i'll be sure to wear a crappy pair

Rag Doll
06-28-2009, 08:42 PM
i'm going to this show and will do my best to avoid any and all crowdsurfing or moshing or what have you. i originally wanted to go up front, but i have since thought better of it.

mklemp92
06-29-2009, 12:04 PM
Does anyone know how this venue works?

When are doors? Is there food/drinks?
Is there an age limit? (I am 17)
What time should I get there to get up front?
Is there anywhere to eat around the venue?
is the venue large?

Thanks in advance. I went to the Camden NJ show and it was the best show I have ever seen. Me and my friend are thinking about driving up from Delaware. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Rag Doll
06-29-2009, 12:51 PM
Doors are generally an hour before, I think. You should be able to find it on their website. There are a lot of bars inside (depending on the set up for that particular show), plus soda/water and pizza. This show is all ages to enter, 21+ to drink...some shows are not. I'd get there maybe 1.5 - 2 hours before doors open to get up front just in case. I have gotten there right before the show and had no line and been there 2 hours before and been 30 people back in line. There are some diners within a few miles of the place....google sayreville new jersey. There is one that i think is just called sayreville diner and is like...10 minutes down the road. The venue is VERY small, probably the smallest I have ever been to.

however, it might be sold out. *shrug*

mklemp92
06-29-2009, 02:47 PM
Doors are generally an hour before, I think. You should be able to find it on their website. There are a lot of bars inside (depending on the set up for that particular show), plus soda/water and pizza. This show is all ages to enter, 21+ to drink...some shows are not. I'd get there maybe 1.5 - 2 hours before doors open to get up front just in case. I have gotten there right before the show and had no line and been there 2 hours before and been 30 people back in line. There are some diners within a few miles of the place....google sayreville new jersey. There is one that i think is just called sayreville diner and is like...10 minutes down the road. The venue is VERY small, probably the smallest I have ever been to.

however, it might be sold out. *shrug*

Thanks for the help. And yea, they are sold out on ticketmaster, but there are some on stubhub for $50

Phil594
06-29-2009, 02:52 PM
Does anyone know how this venue works?

When are doors? Is there food/drinks?
Is there an age limit? (I am 17)
What time should I get there to get up front?
Is there anywhere to eat around the venue?
is the venue large?

Thanks in advance. I went to the Camden NJ show and it was the best show I have ever seen. Me and my friend are thinking about driving up from Delaware. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Doors open 7 PM
No, usually it's all ages for Starland Ballroom concerts. If there is an age limit, they'll post it on their website.
Do you have Starparking? If not, I'd say 1 1/2 - 2 hours before doors open.
There's a WAWA (convenience store) 5 minutes from Starland..
Nah, it's a very small place located in the middle of nowhere. But be warned, they tend to oversell, and the concert is soldout.
As for food and drinks, they have a bar area for 21+.
I live 5 minutes from Starland. :)

mklemp92
06-30-2009, 11:40 AM
Doors open 7 PM
No, usually it's all ages for Starland Ballroom concerts. If there is an age limit, they'll post it on their website.
Do you have Starparking? If not, I'd say 1 1/2 - 2 hours before doors open.
There's a WAWA (convenience store) 5 minutes from Starland..
Nah, it's a very small place located in the middle of nowhere. But be warned, they tend to oversell, and the concert is soldout.
As for food and drinks, they have a bar area for 21+.
I live 5 minutes from Starland. :)

thanks man!

Phil594
07-01-2009, 07:58 AM
Quick question. Do they have a merch booth at Starland Ballroom? I really want the "Shit is Fucked Up" shirt. :cool:

Rag Doll
07-01-2009, 09:37 AM
Quick question. Do they have a merch booth at Starland Ballroom? I really want the "Shit is Fucked Up" shirt. :cool:

they do, pretty much right after you walk in. it's *extremely* crowded, so be prepared to wait.

Stylie
07-01-2009, 01:42 PM
Re: hairdo -- Start with dry hair, apply hair gel. Twist up into spikes with your hands or use a comb in sections. Hold the section vertical and hit it with a hairdryer until it stays.

Hmm. Well, I dunno. What I described is how the punx do it. But Dexter's hair just looks spikey in that picture, not so much PUUUUNX. I guess just try hair gel?

Haha, seriously, is that really the official "recip" to make your hair punk, how punks do it? 'Cause I actually don't think Dexter (or maybe his wife, Kristine) do all of that, it sounds kinda...tricky, you know. Also, it's all gonna be different, we got all different types of hair, thin and thick etc.

For myself, I do it in another way then you said. The first thing I do is to wet my hair (spike it up), and then I take the hair gel on and adjust it (also, you have to use much more gel if you don't have "wetten" it. When you got your hair wet, you just need a little gel to make it hold like that). My hair is really thick, so when it get's too long it just flips down (...now that's when I got get a hair cut *tells with a funny narration voice*). But I guess Dexter got a pretty thin hair? 'Cause with thin hair it's much lighter and easier, and you can have it spikey with longer hair than with thick. Btw, I don't have blonde hair like Dexter, I have dark blond/black, so it's a difference, hehe.

Phil594
07-01-2009, 03:26 PM
Anybody buy Starparking?

OffspringFreakess
07-03-2009, 03:13 PM
i'll be there! keep your face low and trash your arms, haha. and duct tape your shoes to your legs if you plan on crowd surfing. :p

Rag Doll
07-04-2009, 09:14 AM
Anybody buy Starparking?

i usually park at the place across the street from starland.....vfw thing or something? either way, the money supports a better cause...

Phil594
07-04-2009, 01:40 PM
i usually park at the place across the street from starland.....vfw thing or something? either way, the money supports a better cause...
How does StarParking work?

It's simple. When you buy a ticket to a Starland event, you have the option to purchase StarParking passes for an extra charge. Why purchase StarParking? Because a StarParking pass guarantees up-close parking for the purchaser's designated vehicle and line privileges for everyone in the vehicle. Line privileges doesn't mean you get in early or necessarily first. It does mean that you get in with the people at the front of the line - many of whom have been waiting for hours - regardless of when you arrive.

Straight from Starlandballroom.com

Rag Doll
07-04-2009, 03:25 PM
yeah, but i'm an unemployed recent college grad and my boyfriend is in a similar situation (meaning we're both broke as fuck). i'd totally rather pay $5 to park and get there an hour early and still get up by the stage ;p

Harleyquiiinn
07-04-2009, 03:46 PM
yeah, but i'm an unemployed recent college grad and my boyfriend is in a similar situation (meaning we're both broke as fuck). i'd totally rather pay $5 to park and get there an hour early and still get up by the stage ;p

OR you come at the same time as everybody, pay 5 $ with this on each of your wrist:

http://166.70.237.198/lf/82-0082.gif

Then you make your way to the stage :D

Sure they cost 15 $ but it is an investment :cool:

Phil594
07-04-2009, 04:53 PM
OR you come at the same time as everybody, pay 5 $ with this on each of your wrist:

http://166.70.237.198/lf/82-0082.gif

Then you make your way to the stage :D

Sure they cost 15 $ but it is an investment :cool:

OOORRR..just spend the time Frank Turner's playing to make your way to the front. But your idea is way easier.:rolleyes:

MeanBob
07-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Woo! One more day! :D

But yeah, my brother bought starparking, so that's cool.

Phil594
07-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Yea I just hope not too many people bought Starparking..:D

RyanSabotage
07-06-2009, 06:06 PM
see you all there!
:D:D:D:D

Little_Miss_1565
07-06-2009, 07:27 PM
Haha, seriously, is that really the official "recip" to make your hair punk, how punks do it? 'Cause I actually don't think Dexter (or maybe his wife, Kristine) do all of that, it sounds kinda...tricky, you know. Also, it's all gonna be different, we got all different types of hair, thin and thick etc.

Well, like I said, Dexter's hair doesn't look like that's how he does it. But when I used to help friends with their liberty spikes, that's how we did it. Dexter has dude spikes, not liberty spikes, so...yeah.

Oh my god am I really talking about Dexter's hair? :(

gsnguy67
07-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Hey guys. I'm going to the show tomorrow too and it'll be my first Offspring concert. It'll also be my first time at Starland, which is weird since I live so close. I've heard the venue is about the size of my basement from friends, so I'm expecting it to be one insane show. I'd much rather be in a club like environment for a band like the Offspring than an amphitheater. Sum 41 isn't my favorite band, but it would have been cool to see them. Doesn't matter, only one reason I'm going.

I only have a cell phone so I won't be able to contribute much to the videos and such. I'll definitely get down a setlist for you all though. I'll probably get there around 5 tomorrow, hopefully no one will get there too too early. As for parking, we we're probably parking across the street for free.

I'll definitely be contributing to the text voting system. I'd love to hear something like I Choose, Nothingtown or Million Miles Away. Based on setlists so far we probably won't hear these, but that would make an awesome night even better!

Rag Doll
07-06-2009, 07:57 PM
i always have to pay $5 or $6 to park across the street. bring cash just in case =)

gsnguy67
07-06-2009, 08:05 PM
Ugh, thought I could get away with it lol. Thanks for the heads-up, this is going to be one awesome show!

Rag Doll
07-06-2009, 08:07 PM
it will be! and starland is a really awesome venue - a fave of mine. =)

jomama625
07-06-2009, 08:49 PM
I recently went to an Offspring concert which was also my 1st mosh pit experience. We stayed to the right side of the crowd because it was closest to beer/bathrooms, but turns out that was the safest place to be. Sure we got bumped into and feet stepped on ALOT, but it was all done in fun. EVERYONE was cool about leaving us alone if we put our hands up to let them know we wanted them to keep their distance. It was one big happy Offspring family! : )
PS-the show was stopped 3X's because of injuries in the pit, but that was center stage up front. Sides and back are your best bet if you wanna stay out.

_Lost_
07-07-2009, 12:39 AM
A guy with his hair done like this eventually elbowed his way in front of me when I went to see them in Nashville. His spikes repeatedly poked me in the eye and lead to many jokes made by randman after the fact.

Never moshed or none of that shenanigans.
Should I be scared of being in the middle of a mosh? heh :o

My first Offspring show, I was on the rail, dead center. As close as physically possible to Dexter. Downside to that is: 1) I was directly in front of the core of the mosh pit and as a result, nearly crushed before being pulled out along with my sister by the guards 5 songs from the end of the show, and 2) that the focal point of the monitors for the mics was farther back so the only way I could hear the vocals was if Dexter was singing strong enough to be heard over the crowd behind me. He was on some of the songs, but other than that, I could barely hear the words.

In Nashville, the set up was different. There was an isle down the middle of the crowd with a walkway that gave guards easier access to deeper sections of the crowd (which was handy when a guy went beserk and started attacking people. a couple of huge guys nearby pinned him down until the guards could get to him). I liked this though because I was pretty near front and center again, but since there was that divider, it made two seperate pits a little farther back and off to the sides away from the center wall, so it wasn't nearly as intense as the Charlotte show before.

I agree with a lot of people in saying try to be a little off to the side if you plan on going to the front. Especially since this is your first. It can be seriously over whelming and suck the fun out of the show. Also, stay hydrated. I nashville, I couldn't move or enjoy the show or sing along or anything like that for at least 5 songs because I felt like I was dying. It was hot and I had been in the sun since 5 in the afternoon after a 7 hour car drive where I drank nearly nothing compared to what I should have because I didn't want to constantly have to make pit stops. After the show I drank like 5 bottles of water and felt better.

I don't know if you'll read this before you go.

sorry tl;dr

Phil594
07-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Can't wait! :D:D:D

MeanBob
07-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Wow! That was amazing last night and I lost my voice! Man, I was so happy to actually see the guys in person :).

I was upfront with my brother and friend, somehow got pushed back a little and then ended it a little to the left side so got a tad far, but it was still fun as hell! Got me a T-Shirt, but it was smaller than my actualy size, but it still fits almost perfectly. It kinda had me scratching my head when I got it cuz when the show ended, I started to notice kids having them, so I wanted to walk back in, a security guard told me to go outside and I asked'em if they were still selling shirts and the one next to the one I was talking to just straight said no and told me to leave. My friend who got lost in there for a bit got out, told'em I wanted to get one, said he'd get it for me and I told him that I don't think they'd let him back in, but he tried anyway. I gave him my money, they stopped him and said that he just wanted to get a T-Shirt and let'em in; no problem.

Other than that, I (almost) recorded the entire concert.

It was such an awesome first concert for me. I wanna go to more! :D

Sheck0
07-08-2009, 01:18 PM
That was my first Offspring concert as well and ended up being my first mosh pit all while losing the first Offspring shirt I ever owned. It was all worth it though. Oh and I had a bunch of people asking where I got my shirt, apparently they didn't do a good job of letting people know where to buy the shirts and other stuff (They had a sick hoodie that I wanted but it was $75).

dexter12296566
07-11-2009, 06:59 AM
i have been to alot of concerts before but never offspring and i went to there show last night and it was awesome. i got gringo too. it doesnt seem like much but me and dex were in the same building and he was soooooo cute:p