PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about Ixnay On The Hombre

rgf030
06-25-2009, 10:05 AM
So my last thread was about Splinter, talking about how its has some of the best Offspring material, and some of my least favorite.

Now I wanna yack about Ixnay, my absolute favorite.

See, Ixnay was the album I wanted to buy so badly when I was a little kid. This was when I was still buying cassette tapes, my first 2 being The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Lets Face It and Beck - Odelay.

I heard All I Want on the radio all the time when I was snowboarding in my backyard, and when I heard Gone Away, I was sold. Unfortunately I never actually picked up the album (the tape) until a few years later when I started a band covering Offspring tunes. My friend let me borrow his copy and I was amazed. The Meaning Of Life has to be one of the best Offspring songs i've ever heard, let alone one of the best songs period. The lyrics are deep, the song is fast and the guitars are loud.

Mota's drum rhythm in the beginning will always remind me of when i was younger with my old band. Me & My Old Lady is great song craftsmanship with awesome lyrics. I always thought that one was put together real nicely.

As for Cool To Hate, this is a great tune, but for some reason the mixing of this particular track doesn't have as much power as the others. If you listen to this track, it just seems a bit quieter and dosn't have that "punch" like The Meaning of Life or Leave It Behind.

Leave It Behind is an incredibly underrated song. It's short and sweet and has that awesome "punch" in the face i dig. I played an acoustic set by myself for about 30 minutes and i covered this one. I turned all the power chords into standard full chords and make it sound kind of like a folk song and it sounds awesome.

Gone Away sticks way out on this album, it takes me back to when i was a little kid. I Choose might be one of the weaker ones on the album for me, but it makes a good transition between the 2 tracks that go into Intermission. Once All I Want comes on, im snowbarding again.

Way Down The Line is one I never skip. Its got to be a favorite one for me because of the fantastic lyrics and how loud and in your face it is. I really dig this one. Amazed is a great one too, After Rise And Fall came out, I compared that album to Ixnay becasue Rise and Fall has some fast stuff, but has some way slower stuff as well, just like Ixnay.

Change The World...I wanted to cover this song so badly in my old band, and still kinda do. The other guys weren't into it becsue they didnt like the song. Theyre obviously crazy. Its an awesome album closer that doesn't stray from their punk roots one bit.

So that was a lengthy chat. Much longer than my Splinter one. Feel free to throw in some input. This is cleary my favorite Offspring album because it doesnt stick with one genre, and makes each style they use sound fantastic. Its loud and its fast. I also think this album has the best sounding guitars between them all(and the worst sounding drums! Too much reverb and production, you can tell the producer who worked with Alice In Chains was on this one)

Outerspaceman21
06-25-2009, 10:11 AM
I have to admit it's my least favorite album. Only songs that I listen to on a regular basis is The Meaning of Life and Gone Away.

RonWelty
06-25-2009, 10:11 AM
Ixnay on the Hombre is my number 1 record all time. It's their masterpiece. Maybe Smash has better single tracks but as an album, nothing beats IXNAY!!!

RonWelty
06-25-2009, 10:12 AM
I have to admit it's my least favorite album. Only songs that I listen to on a regular basis is The Meaning of Life and Gone Away.

WHATTTTTTTT? IXNAY is SO L.A. and SoCal! How can't you like it?

Outerspaceman21
06-25-2009, 10:15 AM
WHATTTTTTTT? IXNAY is SO L.A. and SoCal! How can't you like it?

It's not a bad album, It's got some really solid tracks, It's just that I don't favor them as much as I do their other material.

RonWelty
06-25-2009, 10:16 AM
It's not a bad album, It's got some really solid tracks, It's just that I don't favor them as much as I do their other material.

Okay, :D. Everyone is entitled to have their opinion and taste. :D

Rutegard
06-25-2009, 10:22 AM
Ixnay on the Hombre is my number 1 record all time. It's their masterpiece. Maybe Smash has better single tracks but as an album, nothing beats IXNAY!!!

this!

but i also like this new album a lot :P

Grimesy da Offspringfan
06-25-2009, 10:24 AM
I have to say Ixnay is my least favorite too. I love every individual song, and it has some of the best material, but as a collective i just don't feel like it can be one of my favorites.

Alex101
06-25-2009, 10:26 AM
Ixany is one of my most favorite Offspring albums. It's a classic and I like almost every single song off the album.

SweetTatyana
06-25-2009, 11:21 AM
Same, I really think Ixnay is the best, every song off it is awesome and those few like Mota, Change the World, Meaning of Life, Leave it Behind, Gone Away .. its fabulous Actually my favourite cd of all time. Ignition is second :)

Phil594
06-25-2009, 11:33 AM
Intermission = best song.

findout5
06-25-2009, 12:22 PM
This is the soundtrack of my late teenage years, and also my favourite record from those days and from The Offspring. Something about it just pulls me to listen to it. I love the songwritting, and the amazing sounds (Jerden!).
It's darker with a few lighter moments thrown in for good measure. Great.

Tomasisko
06-25-2009, 12:34 PM
yeah Ixnay the best album ever. I totally agree with Ron. It's their masterpiece

holland25
06-25-2009, 12:35 PM
Ixnay is great, but all albums except Americana and CO1 are better than it.

RonWelty
06-25-2009, 12:40 PM
Daves jerden gave a lot of life to their sound on those two records... I really miss that sound.

ad8
06-25-2009, 02:13 PM
I also think that Ixnay is one of their very best albums. All I Want and Meaning Of Life are awesome, but the true gems of this album are Leave It Behind, Cool To Hate and Way Down The Line in my opinion. Change The World is great, too.

findout5
06-25-2009, 02:17 PM
Leave it Behind is so underrated...never played live that I know of!
I love that song...heard that one and Change The World are about Brett Gurewitz...

RonWelty
06-25-2009, 02:39 PM
I love that song...heard that one and Change The World are about Brett Gurewitz...

Change the world I know it is, never heard that about Leave it behind...I like that song!

renato piquette
06-25-2009, 03:45 PM

agree,though,id say "americana" is better than "ixnay" but "rafrag" is not

bouncingcoles
06-25-2009, 04:10 PM
I LOVE ixnay. but than again i also really like CO1

offsrx
06-25-2009, 04:23 PM
I started listening to the Offspring with Americana in summer of 2000.
But in 2001. My older brother got mp3 collection of Green Day and Offspring on 1 cd, and that is my best Cd of all time! On that mp3 collection there was 6 albums from both bands, and till then i didn't know that there was album between americana and smash called Ixnay.So I was listening to Americana and Smash, but then I found out Ixnay... BOY THAT'S FUCKING GREEEEAT ALBUM!
Don't know why are you arguing about what song was better, cause EVERY SINGLE FUCKING SONG ON THAT ALBUM IS AMAZING! :)
After Americana, Ixnay is my absolute favorite..

Ninty Man
06-25-2009, 04:27 PM

Blasphemy.

I think is their best album, the one will never be beaten by any other.Definitely is better that Smash and Ignition.

The way this album flows is amazing, I don't skip any of this album.

SmashingIxnayConspiracy
06-25-2009, 05:55 PM
Well, Ixnay has got The Offspring's best song on it, "Way Down the Line," or at least, their best song in my opinion.:D

univonc
06-25-2009, 07:37 PM
This is their best one IMO. Rise and Fall runs close second with Americanca third.

Me and my old lady is SO close to Jane's Addiciton that I feel had been an influence.

Remember, these guys did not really know anything about music other than the desire to play. therefore to create your image, you have to immulate and adapt. who else to incorporate than your peers.

Starting to really understand this band and loving every bit of it.

bouncingcoles
06-25-2009, 07:37 PM

that rumor is simply false

Maria Cortez
06-25-2009, 09:54 PM
in my own personal opinion i dug all of the albums each one individually speaking and well, what can i possibly say about em all they're equally unique in their own special way and stuff. :) :cool: :D :o

RyanSabotage
06-25-2009, 09:57 PM
single and love Ixnay on the Hombre?

ixnaysingles.com

someone should start it up

Offspring-Junkie
06-26-2009, 07:07 AM
Ixnay is the best. /thread

Blitzkrieg Bop
06-26-2009, 01:14 PM
Ixnay is a great album and starts off with a bang. All I Want being an all time favourite of mine, however Leave It Behind is in my top three songs.

wrc307
06-26-2009, 02:05 PM
i don't like ixnay, it's true the album have a group of good songs, but i don't like.
it's my least favourite album.

SMASHedTHEignition
06-26-2009, 07:12 PM
americana is my least fav album, its got good individual songs but it just doesnt do it for me as much as ignition,smash, s/t, and ixnay :D

The_BlackSwordsman
06-27-2009, 09:52 AM
I don't have only one favorite album, I think all of them are unique in their own way (and good). Ixnay is the second of their albums I bought though, and it's definitely up there, better than the first I bought (Conspiracy, which still has some of my favorite songs). :)

mklemp92
06-27-2009, 02:16 PM
I love Ixnay! It has a more comical sound than Smash and is a more fun album overall. Plus, it has Intermission!

BetterLate
06-28-2009, 11:02 PM
Ixnay is a great follow up to smash. A still heavy album unlike the following album Americana which is ok.

Ryder1234
06-29-2009, 05:29 PM
Ixnay is my 4th favorite album by them. It's a very good album but there's a definite change from Smash,in a good way though.

Look on Ron Welty (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Welty)'s wikipedia page, Ixnay is called "Ixnay on the Homobre"
I won't edit it so others can see it haha

Beaker
06-30-2009, 02:40 AM
i love the album, find my self always returning to it. :):D

Oxygene
06-30-2009, 03:37 AM
I remember sharing this story with Dexter about Ixnay a while back.. we were talking about how time flies, and how to me Ixnay is still a "new" offspring album..

I had phoned the cd stores in the are for weeks prior to the release and I ended up being able to purchase the All I Want cd single from the then Newley opened Virgin Megastore sometime in Jan.

The calls yielded little results, noone had the album on the 4th.. the release date. There was one CD store who said they would have it on the 5th, that wasn't very far from where I lived, so I decided to put an order in. Sure as hell I went there when they said stock would arrive, and the cd was there I cashed out started walking home and I had brought my shitty discman that had 0 shock prodtecion, and when I mean 0 I MEAN 0. The thing had to be held horizontally it would start skipping if it were placed verticaly. So I took it out, put the cd in held it up with both hands, looking like a total retard and started walking home, with the Meaning of Life blasting into my skull, my brain, my soul.. it was so awesome I was nearly reduced to tears...

To this day I think MOL is one of the greatest masterpieces in the history of Art.
PERIOD.

Oxygene
06-30-2009, 03:41 AM
Ixnay is my 4th favorite album by them. It's a very good album but there's a definite change from Smash,in a good way though.

Look on Ron Welty (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Welty)'s wikipedia page, Ixnay is called "Ixnay on the Homobre"
I won't edit it so others can see it haha

In Hungarian slang Bre (or br) is penis...

Just a fun fact for all the freud fans out there :)

RonWelty
06-30-2009, 03:59 AM
I remember sharing this story with Dexter about Ixnay a while back.. we were talking about how time flies, and how to me Ixnay is still a "new" offspring album..

I had phoned the cd stores in the are for weeks prior to the release and I ended up being able to purchase the All I Want cd single from the then Newley opened Virgin Megastore sometime in Jan.

The calls yielded little results, noone had the album on the 4th.. the release date. There was one CD store who said they would have it on the 5th, that wasn't very far from where I lived, so I decided to put an order in. Sure as hell I went there when they said stock would arrive, and the cd was there I cashed out started walking home and I had brought my shitty discman that had 0 shock prodtecion, and when I mean 0 I MEAN 0. The thing had to be held horizontally it would start skipping if it were placed verticaly. So I took it out, put the cd in held it up with both hands, looking like a total retard and started walking home, with the Meaning of Life blasting into my skull, my brain, my soul.. it was so awesome I was nearly reduced to tears...

To this day I think MOL is one of the greatest masterpieces in the history of Art.
PERIOD.

When you have such songs as Amazed, Gone Away, I choose, WDTL, Cool to hate, change the world that song just seems okay... IMO.

SelfEsteem94
06-30-2009, 06:37 AM
Ixnay had some pretty good songs,
surely not their best record.
if anything,
its one of my least favorite albums.

Alison
06-30-2009, 09:51 AM
It's deinitely my favourite album. I remember a few years ago I would just keep playing it over and over on my walkman, and now it's a bit scratched and jumpy. But it's still amazing. I remember writing an album review on it for school and got an A :D

Twisted Mind
06-30-2009, 10:04 AM
Well, it's one of my favorites... there are like 5 songs that i like alot in that album, the lyrics are so special and awesome as usual, but i really really really REALLY LOVE "I Choose", "The Meaning Of Life", "Gone Away", and "Way Down The line"... And "Don't Pick It Up" because it's really funny and makes me LOL. I would say that is one of their best albums.