PDA

View Full Version : I love working third shift!

_Lost_
06-25-2009, 09:38 PM
Anyone with me on that?

Its 11:35 and I've only been up for a couple hours. My days are really weird and almost feel like one big continuous day. I <3 it!

Plus it means I can check this place at odd times of the night when shit usually goes down that most miss because the posts are deleted while they sleep. :)

And plus my job is wickedly awesome and easy!

KHWHD
06-25-2009, 09:42 PM
What do you do?

nieh
06-25-2009, 09:45 PM
I post from work every day at 13:37.

_Lost_
06-25-2009, 10:21 PM
What do you do?

I'm an EMT privately contracted by a security firm to work at a plant that makes turbine blades. They have to have an EMT on site 24/7 just in case something goes wrong and someone ends up seriously hurt. I've been a certified EMT since January.

I'm usually in bed by this time.

ninthz
06-25-2009, 10:34 PM
I worked third shift for like three years. It's an okay gig. Have fun getting used to normal daytime hours once you quit.

randman21
06-25-2009, 10:44 PM
Yes, third shift is by far the best, in my opinion. It's definitely a novel feeling, and it's fun to feel like you're sticking it to the man by sleeping with the sun up. Shit will get old come August, though. I don't really think it'll be hard to change your sleep patter if you quit. I can do it in 2 or 3 days.

Outerspaceman21
06-26-2009, 12:57 AM
Its good that you are working a shift that you like. I hope you don't catch a lot of crap this time.

IamSam
06-26-2009, 01:36 AM

oh hai lulz

Free?
06-26-2009, 03:38 AM
I've worked for 1st/3rd shift switching each week and it wasn't too bad. Can't say too good either because you basically become a zombie that always wants to sleep more, but a 5-hour long sleep is enough almost always.
Pro-tip: a 30min-1hour sleep break in the middle of the night shift is a fantastic way to keep your senses sharp. ;]

_Lost_
06-26-2009, 03:42 AM
o i kno. ;)

SweetTatyana
06-26-2009, 08:53 AM
Thats awesome you're a EMT Lost, good for you! All the guys at the plant must get excited when the cute EMT is working, you probably make their day lol

Free?
06-26-2009, 09:34 AM
Thats awesome you're a EMT Lost, good for you! All the guys at the plant must get excited when the cute EMT is working, you probably make their day lol

- night *cough*. ;P

ninthz
06-26-2009, 03:31 PM
Yes, third shift is by far the best, in my opinion. It's definitely a novel feeling, and it's fun to feel like you're sticking it to the man by sleeping with the sun up. Shit will get old come August, though. I don't really think it'll be hard to change your sleep patter if you quit. I can do it in 2 or 3 days.
Not that I'm taking issue with this, but I still don't have a normal night-time sleeping schedule and the last time I worked third shift was almost two years ago. I mean, I usually make it to bed by four or five, but that doesn't really seem to be the norm.

_Lost_
06-26-2009, 10:59 PM
Not that I'm taking issue with this, but I still don't have a normal night-time sleeping schedule and the last time I worked third shift was almost two years ago. I mean, I usually make it to bed by four or five, but that doesn't really seem to be the norm.

college and alcohol. er!

Omni
06-26-2009, 11:04 PM
The pay is always better, too, but I gained a lot of weight when I worked third shift at the nursing home.

dexter12296566
07-02-2009, 07:08 PM
i dont have a job
i'll stay up 4 5 or 6 days straight and then sleep for 3 hrs then stay up 4 another week

Thomas
07-02-2009, 08:11 PM
You might want to seek professional help.

dexter12296566
07-02-2009, 08:41 PM
You might want to seek professional help.

who me ? it is awesome

Thomas
07-02-2009, 08:46 PM
That just sounds plain unhealthy. Like, wow. If what you are saying is true, then in all honesty PLEASE go seek medical help, for your own sake.

dexter12296566
07-02-2009, 09:18 PM
That just sounds plain unhealthy. Like, wow. If what you are saying is true, then in all honesty PLEASE go seek medical help, for your own sake.

im fine 3 years ago when i got my offspring dvd i watched it 24/7 slept 4 a couple hrs and watche it again. I DONT NEED SLEEP I AM INVINCIBLE(usually)

Outerspaceman21
07-02-2009, 09:21 PM
Thomas is right. That kind of sleeping pattern is not healthy.

dexter12296566
07-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Thomas is right. That kind of sleeping pattern is not healthy.

why not its fine 4 me

_Lost_
07-02-2009, 09:59 PM
heh... I went through a phase kind of like that when I was a freshman in high school, but it was fairly short-lived. I remember talking about it on here because in a 7 day period, I had gotten something like 16 hours of sleep. 8 of those hours being from one night in the middle of the week. Also, through middle school I averaged about 4 hours of sleep a night because I always stayed up to read whatever book I was into at the time. I read 30+ books in 6th grade.

dexterlotsofnumbers this is not healthy and you should seek help to find out the cause of it. Also, you may think you are up constantly, but after 24 hours of being awake (estimating here, it varies person to person) your body starts experiencing microsleep which can last as little as a fraction of a second. You won't even realize you are doing it most of the time which can be extremely dangerous if you are doing anything like bicycling or something where loss of consciousness could potentially cause you serious harm.

dexter12296566
07-02-2009, 10:04 PM
we know what the cause is it is cuz my meds screw me up

_Lost_
07-02-2009, 10:16 PM
does your doctor know this? Because he SHOULD have put you on another medication when he found out it was causing sleep deprivation. When you don't sleep, your body won't heal as well, you won't grow as much, you won't be able to remember as much, etc, etc. Your body does all this while you sleep. Without it, you will seriously fuck up your development.

dexter12296566
07-02-2009, 10:19 PM
i refuse to take any other meds cuz i had a severe reaction to some when i was 12 and i was in the hospital for10 days

dexter12296566
07-02-2009, 10:20 PM
oh and due to my form of autism i have a great memory

dexter12296566
07-02-2009, 10:26 PM

y do u care if i am unhealthy u dont even know me and ur more concerned than most ppl that do

_Lost_
07-02-2009, 10:28 PM
its straight up advice. if you see a stranger doing something stupid, wouldn't you want to try to stop them?

I'm sorry you had a bad experience once, but if you don't resolve this issue, you'll only be endangering your health further and could end up in the hospital or dead because of it. I know its not really nice to say that when dealing with insomnia, but yours is a simple fix of changing medications or even the dosage. Talk to your doctor about it. I'm sure that there are other medications that will be effective but not carry whatever it was that you reacted so adversely to.

dexter12296566
07-02-2009, 10:29 PM
its straight up advice. if you see a stranger doing something stupid, wouldn't you want to try to stop them?

give me some advice on my question #2 of Ask Dexter Holland A Question thread it is on the last page

_Lost_
07-02-2009, 10:31 PM
i don't read that thread anymore.

Thomas
07-02-2009, 11:06 PM
im fine 3 years ago when i got my offspring dvd i watched it 24/7 slept 4 a couple hrs and watche it again. I DONT NEED SLEEP I AM INVINCIBLE(usually)

You are not invincible. You are 14 fucking years old. YOU NEED MEDICAL ATTENTION. Even Dexter Holland needs his sleep, ya now...

i have recently been depressed and wondering if suicide would make everything easier

^This is EXACTLY why you need some sleep. Insomnia fucks with your brain and body in more ways than you can imagine.

Thomas
07-02-2009, 11:17 PM
In that case then you need a medical professional to help with both your insomnia AND suicidal tendencies, if they aren't related. Like, seriously, I've known people personally who had these issues and didn't deal with them until it was too late. DEFINITELY not fun for anyone.

Thomas
07-02-2009, 11:31 PM
Again, if the problem STILL persists, you need to seek professional help. Schedule an appointment with a psychotherapist in your area and get yo' self evaluated. Trust me. You DO NOT want this to escalate any further. I speak from experience.

Paint_It_Black
07-03-2009, 02:32 AM
I've worked 3rd shift for the last couple of years. In general I like it. I'm the night auditor at a reasonably large hotel. I work alone with only a security guard for company. It's somewhat fun to run the place singlehandedly and I like not having anyone looking over my shoulder the whole time. When we're busy the amount of work I have gets a bit ridiculous, especially when we have 300 or more guests in the hotel and the phones won't stop ringing. But on a slow night, like tonight, it's great. I can casually get all my paperwork done while taking breaks every 15 minutes and do whatever the fuck I want.

I've always liked being up at night. The world just feels different at night. And you definitely meet interesting people. I've had all kinds of freaks wander into the hotel. Crazy people, homeless people, criminals, pimps, hookers. I love it. It's only frustrating when I have a heavy workload and don't have time for bullshit. And it's always great on a slow night when an eccentric insomniac guest hangs out at the desk for a few hours and tells you their life story. Or getting flashed by drunk (and sometimes sober) women. That's fun too.

I like getting off work at dawn. It really is just a pleasant time of day. The world feels reborn and fresh. Then I sleep from about 1 or 2pm until it's time to go to work again.

The only really bad side is struggling to get things done during the day that can only be done during the day, and spending time with friends who work "normal" jobs. And my days off ruin me. I end up being awake for 30 hours or so the first day, get on a day schedule for the second day, and then have to readjust for work the next night.

TLDR, I know.

_Lost_
07-03-2009, 02:57 AM
lol. that sounds pretty cool.

I do the same thing on the weekends. like today, i probably won't go to bed till around 9pm (which works since i'll need to be up most of the day into the late evening saturday). but it totally screws me over going back into work sunday evening.

Into The Night
07-06-2009, 10:20 AM
In that case then you need a medical professional to help with both your insomnia AND suicidal tendencies, if they aren't related. Like, seriously, I've known people personally who had these issues and didn't deal with them until it was too late. DEFINITELY not fun for anyone.

Sadly, being so young they probably won't heed the warning... Maybe I should look into help myself. I've been awake for two days, and yeah, i'm feeling the emotional impact *sighs*

dexter12296566
11-26-2009, 07:53 PM
Again, if the problem STILL persists, you need to seek professional help. Schedule an appointment with a psychotherapist in your area and get yo' self evaluated. Trust me. You DO NOT want this to escalate any further. I speak from experience.

I realized I was staying up late a lot again and I told the doctor but he put me on meds to help me sleep and they are fucking with my mind!

Little_Miss_1565
11-26-2009, 11:25 PM
I realized I was staying up late a lot again and I told the doctor but he put me on meds to help me sleep and they are fucking with my mind!

What are you taking and how is it fucking with your mind?

As the board's resident long-term insomniac, I might be able to give some advice. The first, though...you said you were going weeks without sleep. I went 7 straight days without sleep about 5 years ago and was hallucinating so badly at the end of it that I was nearly hospitalized. That you said you do this regularly seems very strange.

Al Coholic
11-27-2009, 12:43 AM
Cmon 1565 even you? She bumps a months dead thread to shift the conversation to herself. Even put a sense of urgency to it to give it that extra-attention grabbing power. And weeks at a time? I thought you could smell that kinda bullshit.

I can't believe it. I wouldn't cybered you but now....cmon really?

Jojan
11-27-2009, 10:06 AM
So's your face!

SweetTatyana
11-27-2009, 11:23 AM
that was confusing

dexter12296566
11-27-2009, 04:48 PM
What are you taking and how is it fucking with your mind?

As the board's resident long-term insomniac, I might be able to give some advice. The first, though...you said you were going weeks without sleep. I went 7 straight days without sleep about 5 years ago and was hallucinating so badly at the end of it that I was nearly hospitalized. That you said you do this regularly seems very strange.

I said up to 6 days which I have done! I take melatonin which has no effects but my anxiety kicks in.