PDA

View Full Version : Fender vs. Gibson

Olive
06-25-2009, 09:47 PM
I was just wondering which one you guys think is better. Please be specific, give detailes.

Ryder1234
06-25-2009, 11:11 PM
I don't really have a personal preference; but I always lean towards Fender. I just like the tone, the shapes, etc. more than those of Gibson. Although I do like me a sunburst Les Paul. I'd love to get my hands on one of those. But overall, I say Fender.

The guitar I'm making is gonna be wired and have the exact same setup as a Les Paul though. Just a different shape, similar to a PRS I guess.

EDIT: Adding what Thi said - I can't stand the round necks. Forgot to mention that. And I like Ibanez more than both.

Outerspaceman21
06-26-2009, 12:49 AM
Both are excellent guitars, but I perfer ibanez. If I had to pick between the two, Fender all the way.

ad8
06-26-2009, 01:27 AM
Ibanez?:D

If it came down to Fender vs. Gibson I'd probably pick a Gibson Les Paul over a Fender Strat and a Fender Tele over a Gibson SG. But this is a choice of taste in my opinion.

randman21
06-26-2009, 01:31 AM
My first guitar was a strat, and the two I have now are SG and LP. I prefer Gibson, for looks and sound.

mrconeman
06-26-2009, 06:09 AM
Gibson Les Paul all the way, I know they're the ultimate guitar for me.

It's really a personal thing though, I love strats and will have one sitting besid emy "Les Paul someday, but a Les Paul will always be the guitar for me.

findout5
06-26-2009, 06:44 AM
Gibson Les Paul definately...just play one and you'll see!
Also, you can adjust the volume knobs and the tone knobs and the pickup selection to get a "thinner" sound, if you want a bluesy Strat sound.

mrconeman
06-26-2009, 09:43 AM
You can adjust the tone knobs on any electric guitar. And rolling back the tone knobs on a Les Paul makes a fatter sound.

T-6005
06-26-2009, 09:53 AM
Neither. I play a PRS SE Custom and I swear by PRS.

If I had to choose it would probably be Fender. Not because of a tone preference, but because Gibson has, by and large - especially when it comes to most of the Les Paul models - chosen a round neck type, which I find uncomfortable to play compared to thin-necked guitars like most Fenders. The truth is that both companies make versatile guitars and if you've got the cash it all comes down to what you know you want out of a guitar. Neither is better - in fact, I'm not sure one could be better.

I mean, if Rory Gallagher thought it was acceptable to play a Danelectro Silvertone live, I don't know what the rest of us are complaining about.

medi01
06-26-2009, 10:16 AM
gibson les paul

mrconeman
06-26-2009, 11:51 AM
Rory Gallagher
Yes. <3
Putting Rory on now.

chriiis
06-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Gibson dude,

I have a Epiphone by Gibson Les paul standard, and it's awesome!, much better than fender!

If you go to play punk music, use a les paul guitar! ;D

SelfEsteem94
06-30-2009, 06:53 AM
i myself use Ibanez,
more of my favorite bands use Gibsons rather than Fenders,
so i suppose Gibson.

SyLeS
07-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Definately Gibson Les Paul (Im not much of a fan of the SG)

But, i fucking love the sound of Gibsons.
Its so amazing, and ill never be able to afford one lol..

SMASHedTHEignition
07-31-2009, 02:34 AM
i like les pauls and but sadly i dont own one i just hav a really old white Fender Stratocaster, exact same as th one in waynes world

The Talking Pie
07-31-2009, 10:32 AM
My first 'proper' guitar was a Stratocaster. As a kid/teenager, I always wanted a Les Paul.

Five years ago I would have said Gibson. And I do love my Les Paul. However, now I'm a bit older I can really appreciate the soft tone I get from my Fender. Clapton on a Les Paul wouldn't sound right.

But nothing comes near my ESP KH-2. That is one bitchin' guitar. I wouldn't trade EMG Active-81 pickups for all the Stratocasters in the world.

NoodlesIsTheBomb
07-31-2009, 04:28 PM
i just love Ibanez guitars, got me a Ibanez NDM1 (with DiMarzio Tone Zone pickups) and i also have a Ibanez Art300 (with dimarzio super distortion pickups), and a Fender/Squier Strat. but over those two brands, i just gotta say Fender(mainly due to the tone), but for looks deff Gibson/Epiphone.

SMASHedTHEignition
08-03-2009, 09:00 PM
what other good brands are there?

_Lost_
08-03-2009, 10:41 PM
I have a great disliking for Fenders in general. I've never played one I like.

The main issue I have with this discussion is that the moment Gibson was brought up, you all jumped to Les Paul and SG. They make lots of other great guitars.

To be honest, I think Les Pauls are overrated. My dad owns a rather rare one. Its alright. It has a nice sound and all, I just don't understand what the big deal is. SGs can be pretty bad ass if they have the sound you are looking for. Otherwise they are useless. Why don't you guys look into some of the other great models they have? That or stop talking about a guitar brand unless you actually have experience with it. I understand that Les Pauls are an industry standard and all and they are basically the Jaguar of guitars, but seriously.... He asked about Gibson vs Fender. Not Les Paul and SG vs Strat and Tele.

If I had to vouch for any brand, as many have heard me do before, I'd say look into Godin. They've got a lot of fantastic lines, great quality, awesome sound etc. I have a Godin Radiator and my dad has something like 4 different Godins. Every one of those guitars would be one I'd buy time and time again. Only downside is that a lot of their models are pretty heavy (though not as heavy as Les Pauls for the most part).

And lol at Outerspaceman referring to Gibson and Fender as guitars rather than companies that make guitars. I know you didn't mean it that way, but "both are excellent guitars" rather than "both are excellent brands" struck me as oddly funny.

pArAda
08-04-2009, 01:39 PM
I bought a Gibson. Which books would you recommend to help me learn to play? :confused:

Szandi
08-04-2009, 04:15 PM
I have a Fender guitar and a yamaha bass.
But my dreams are a dark blue Ibanez RG and a red Gibson SG.

Skinny
08-04-2009, 04:28 PM
Right now I have a black and grey Washburn X-30.
I'm hoping to get a black Gibson Les Paul is the future.

SMASHedTHEignition
08-06-2009, 02:03 AM
ive got an ESG, so an SG copy and a Fender Squire Bass and a Mapex Drum Kit, but the ESG is pretty good

SeeYouAgain
08-21-2009, 04:18 PM
Well, what's the fucking difference between a Fender & Gibson? :confused:

Hypno Toad
08-23-2009, 10:51 PM
I'd have to vote for Fender. They pretty much coined the solid body electric guitar, and the telecaster; despite being designed in 1949, is still one of the coolest guitars. telecasters are my favorite, problem with them, though, is that they were designed to be economic and easy to produce, but now Fender sells them for over $1000 because they are in style, when they aren't actually worth anywhere near that price.

:(

I prefer to build my guitars, that way you can have things the way you want them, and still get them for much cheaper (depending on how much your time is worth).

Well, what's the fucking difference between a Fender & Gibson? :confused:

Gibson pioneered the Les paul and SG, which are both quite popular. Gibson has always been bigger on things like fatter smooth bodies, semi hollow bodies and humbucker pickups. Fender uses primarily single coil pickups, solid guitar bodies and goes for the longer horn design on the body. Both make good guitars.

m.offspring.r
08-24-2009, 08:41 AM
I'm not a guitar player neither understand guitars, but I choose Fender. All of my friends (who plays guitar) have Fender, so maybe Fender is better than Gibson... maybe!

zsk
08-24-2009, 12:34 PM
fender vs gibson ????
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k251/wero10/Ibanezlogo.gif

SeeYouAgain
08-24-2009, 06:27 PM
Gibson pioneered the Les paul and SG, which are both quite popular. Gibson has always been bigger on things like fatter smooth bodies, semi hollow bodies and humbucker pickups. Fender uses primarily single coil pickups, solid guitar bodies and goes for the longer horn design on the body. Both make good guitars.

:cool: Thank you. I understand and from now on, am sticking with my singing instead of playing electric guitars/drums and bass. :o

_Lost_
08-24-2009, 11:02 PM
Hey, don't say that! Guitar is a great instrument to learn!

And while what HypnoToad says about the difference is true, it really doesn't mean a whole lot to a person unless they know guitars. I've met people who've played guitar for years who don't know the difference between a single coil pick up and a humbucker.

The difference in sound is really what you should be concerned with. A Gibson Les Paul, for instance, is going to have a smoother, warmer sound than most Fenders. Whereas a SG is going to sound a little more crunchy and raw. With a Fender Telecaster, they are known for their bright, very bright sound. Theres a lot of treble in those. A Stratocaster is probably going to be brighter than a lot of guitars, but not nearly as much as a Tele. People like Strats because they are pretty versatile. You can do crunchy and you can do pretty smooth with one without a whole lot of customization.

The real question is not "Which is better?". It needs to be "Which is better for you?". Go to a music store, preferably one with a lot of variety, and find a guitar that catches your eye. Play that one and if it doesn't feel right/good, find another and test that one out. There is no guitar that is universally right for everyone. Some feel better than others. It may turn out that, rather than that $900 Fender you were looking at, that $300 obscure brand guitar that you don't recognize may feel better, look better, and sound more like what you want. Its all personal preference.

SeeYouAgain
08-25-2009, 02:51 AM

_Lost_ were ya reffering to me or what? ok, your always right as usual.

Yikes.

lucys_bad_habit
08-25-2009, 03:25 AM
definitely ...FENDER :D

Hypno Toad
08-25-2009, 07:07 PM

I dunno, I started making them, now I can't stop (I assume the same goes player collections). I'm blowing half my paycheck every two weeks on guitar parts and building tools xD

To think, 10 months ago, I had never even touched a guitar before :p

randman21
08-25-2009, 09:48 PM
^Heh, I think she was talking to SeeYouAgain there. :P

I really want to make a guitar, but I'm afraid. It'd be a big investment, seeing as I don't have any of the equipment needed. So if I fuck up, I'd feel like I wasted my money. That's practically irrelevant, though, as my dad probably has all of that stuff, and I could just go over to his place to do it. It would be great to spend more time with him. Roughly how much does it cost to make a guitar? I know there are variables that factor in cost, but be very rough (I like it rough). :D

Hypno Toad
08-25-2009, 11:10 PM

I really want to make a guitar, but I'm afraid. It'd be a big investment, seeing as I don't have any of the equipment needed. So if I fuck up, I'd feel like I wasted my money. That's practically irrelevant, though, as my dad probably has all of that stuff, and I could just go over to his place to do it. It would be great to spend more time with him. Roughly how much does it cost to make a guitar? I know there are variables that factor in cost, but be very rough (I like it rough). :D

yeah, I know, figured it was relevant ;D

Money is of no worry to me right now, as almost all of my money is free for spending. So far I've spent about $500 on tools, and gonna spend another 350 for a table saw.

You can make a guitar from recycled parts, and it can cost you next to nothing, other than the price of the wood and various small guitar hardware you might need. If you want to make something more high end, it'll cost you $300 - $500 for parts. I hope you have a job :p

If you've never used any of these tools before, you may want to get your dad's instruction on them. Making guitars takes some tool experience.

SeeYouAgain
08-30-2009, 07:47 AM

one hundred percent