PDA

View Full Version : How supportive are your parents with regards to you going to an Offspring show??

KHWHD
06-26-2009, 09:59 PM
I know we have very different age groups on here, but what do your parents think of you going to the show? Are the hesitant, think you're crazy, or are they 100% supportive? Or other?

KHWHD
06-26-2009, 10:05 PM
I was visiting my parents today and my Mom comes over to me and hands me $40.00 cash. She says, "here Terri - will this be enough to buy you a shirt?" I told her yes that it would. She then says, "try not to get one with too much swearing on it this time!" I laughed. What a sweetheart my Mom is. I'm 34, and my Mom is 52.... lol.

I am planning on buying 2 at the show, but I guess she wanted me to get all of them if possible. Plus she knows how fucking excited I am about Thursday!!

Oh on a side note: I was visiting back home today. I was downtown with my youngest daughter - wearing my Bad Habit shirt. This guy yells out his window "Nice example you're setting for your daughter!!!!" He was furious. My daughter is 2. Once she's old enough to read, it's simple - I won't wear either one anymore. Jeez. :rolleyes:

randman21
06-26-2009, 10:06 PM
When I told my mom I was going all the way to Greensboro on no sleep to see them, she tried to convince me not to. I guess she doesn't trust my driving or something. When I told her I was going to Nashville, she shook her head and laughed. I imagine she thought I was crazy. I haven't mentioned the third show yet.

Reamwolf
06-26-2009, 10:15 PM
ABSOLUTELY NOT!
DX
My mom isn't gonna let me go to the Charlotte show just because they cuss. I hear cussing every day in school... What difference does it make?

Smash_Returns
06-26-2009, 10:39 PM
As long as I paid for my ticket, she was fine. (I'm 17)

ZeQuebecois
06-26-2009, 10:45 PM
My parents seem to dislike the idea of me going at the show and are hesitant... I'm still trying to convince them for next week, but time is starting to run out a little... They don't have a pretty good opinion about anything related to rock/punk (probably stereotypes). And since The Offspring is a rock band, they put it in the same basket without having listened yet... They tell me stories about those rock (probably metal) venues where guys get stabbed or injured in fights... :mad:
The fact that the venue is outdoor and that I have to drive 4h30 in my old car to reach it doesn't help me much (I'm 17 and haven't much experience on the road...) . Anyways, they haven't said a strict NO yet, so I guess I should make'em listen to RAFRAG pretty soon...

This is the only place I wanna go on this summer, but if I piss them off too much, I just won't...

leo3375
06-26-2009, 10:51 PM
Advice for you kids who have never been to an Offspring show: find someone who has experience being in the pit and see if they would want to go with you. Your parents may feel better about you going with someone who knows what the shows can be like and can prepare you for what to expect.

Maria Cortez
06-26-2009, 11:16 PM
god bless my parents. the both of em are so cool and down. my mommy and daddy shall only let me go out to one of offy shows if i promise not to beat up a random stranger and as long as i have a good time and stuff. trust me though i am a lover and not a fighter. (giggles) XD

Oxygene
06-26-2009, 11:30 PM
My parents are super supportive and always have been...

My dad has driven in excess of a 1000 miles (over 1600kms) on a number of occasions, to get me to an Offspring show and back. Even Dexter and Noodles have told my dad in person how cool he is for lugging me all over Europe to see them. My mom has loaned me tons of money and help me pay to get to gigs and let me pay it back whenever (infact I may still owe her for some of my excursions), she really wants to meet the band when they roll into town for the Sziget. Plus my mom thinks Dexter's hot... when we were watching the 99 MTV Europe Music awards and they got up to accept their prize (that's when she took a first good look at him) she's like woah... he's charming, you'd accept him as your step dad right? and laughed.

So they've always always understood and supported my "fandom". Thank god for that :)

Outerspaceman21
06-26-2009, 11:45 PM
My dad was paranoid about me going by myself. He doesn't trust me at all. He doesn't even know me. He's trying to be a father figure, but he lost that postion long ago.

My mom was very supportive and was felt really bad about me missing it. She even considered taking me to their norcal show (Mountian View?), but it was the next day so that couldn't happen

mr munkee
06-27-2009, 12:16 AM
My parents are very lenient about the stuff i do, my parents don't approve of cussing but they don't really care. my mom actually likes The Offspring since i play them so much, they're they only band i listen to that she likes. my mom wouldn't mind if i went to an Offspring show obviously, and i'm 19 so it wouldn't matter, but if i was younger she would still be cool with it.

Harleyquiiinn
06-27-2009, 01:18 AM
Wah, it's nice to know that some parents are actually concerned by their kids musical tastes. Your story made me laugh Shank :D

My parents absolutely don't care and never cared about me going to concerts, Offspring or not... the only thing that they were concerned about when I was a teenager was the fact that I had to go back home late, with the subway, after the concert... So, it's great ! :)

_Lost_
06-27-2009, 06:02 AM
the only thing that stopped me from seeing them in highschool was that my mom didn't trust any of my friends enough to drive me there safely.

when my nashville ticket came in, it was sent to her house. i didn't get to see her reaction but i imagine there was a lot of eyerolling about me driving all the way to nashville. my dad and step mom drove me to the free show last september on two days notice cause they are awesome like that. this is a big deal cause they never leave town without planning ahead of time.

Titus
06-27-2009, 07:20 AM
My parents didnīt let me go to my first concert, they would go like "ohh it is to dangerous, it is too far, you have never traveled alone, too expensive" bla bla bla.
Uncle paid my ticket and I went, it was 300 miles away.

But 5 years later, they came back, I told them I would go and they didnīt say anything, they didnīt like but didnīt try to stop me, even my boss didnīt stop me to go, had to skip work for 2 days and university for 3 days because it was really far away... and I decided to go to travel a day before the show to get to be in the first row

~day dreams~

Titus
06-27-2009, 07:25 AM
My parents are super supportive and always have been...

My dad has driven in excess of a 1000 miles (over 1600kms) on a number of occasions, to get me to an Offspring show and back. Even Dexter and Noodles have told my dad in person how cool he is for lugging me all over Europe to see them. My mom has loaned me tons of money and help me pay to get to gigs and let me pay it back whenever (infact I may still owe her for some of my excursions), she really wants to meet the band when they roll into town for the Sziget. Plus my mom thinks Dexter's hot... when we were watching the 99 MTV Europe Music awards and they got up to accept their prize (that's when she took a first good look at him) she's like woah... he's charming, you'd accept him as your step dad right? and laughed.

So they've always always understood and supported my "fandom". Thank god for that :)

Funny.
And whoa, your parents are so different from any other parents I have heard of. Dad picking me up in some random far away city, sooo not going to happen, they would left me there till I find money to come back home! joking

Oxygene
06-27-2009, 07:31 AM
Funny.
And whoa, your parents are so different from any other parents I have heard of. Dad picking me up in some random far away city, sooo not going to happen, they would left me there till I find money to come back home! joking

Not picking me up.. try driving to the Bologna (rain fest on the huck it dvd) hanging out backstage, enjoying the show and driving back to Budapest.. it's like a thousand miles round trip. I am blessed :)

Titus
06-27-2009, 07:38 AM
My parents seem to dislike the idea of me going at the show and are hesitant... I'm still trying to convince them for next week, but time is starting to run out a little... They don't have a pretty good opinion about anything related to rock/punk (probably stereotypes). And since The Offspring is a rock band, they put it in the same basket without having listened yet... They tell me stories about those rock (probably metal) venues where guys get stabbed or injured in fights... :mad:
The fact that the venue is outdoor and that I have to drive 4h30 in my old car to reach it doesn't help me much (I'm 17 and haven't much experience on the road...) . Anyways, they haven't said a strict NO yet, so I guess I should make'em listen to RAFRAG pretty soon...

This is the only place I wanna go on this summer, but if I piss them off too much, I just won't...

Aw, I hope you go. They seem insecure about it, but they will realize it is very important to you and they will let you go. Good luck

Not picking me up.. try driving to the Bologna (rain fest on the huck it dvd) hanging out backstage, enjoying the show and driving back to Budapest.. it's like a thousand miles round trip. I am blessed :)

NICE...
When i went to the first concert, I lost the last bus back to my city. It left exactly at midnight, and I arrived to the bus station 0:10. The next bus was just at 6:00. Laughed for hours and met some fans that lost the bus too... Never told my dad tho, he would still get mad at it lol
HE would never go to wait for me.
Well my mom went there with me, but she sooo didnīt like it at all

Oxygene
06-27-2009, 07:42 AM
NICE...
When i went to the first concert, I lost the last bus back to my city. It left exactly at midnight, and I arrived to the bus station 0:10. The next bus was just at 6:00. Laughed for hours and met some fans that lost the bus too... Never told my dad tho, he would still get mad at it lol
HE would never go to wait for me.
Well my mom went there with me, but she sooo didnīt like it at all

My dad never waited, he hung out with us, or with band members, enjoyed the show ate dinner etc.. he was always somewhat of a curiosity that he drove me and my friends so far and shit, but he had fun, he enjoyed the music, the Offspring and crew are nice guys, so all in all I think he enjoyed it, and didn't really see it as burden but more like an event he wants to attend anyway.

gabbag
06-27-2009, 07:58 AM
My parents are fine with me going as long as it is reasonably close, and I am going with my brother to the show on July 7th so they are definitely ok with that, I think my mom and dad would probably even come if it wasn't in the middle of the week because they have to go to work the next day because they like the Offspring.

Grimesy da Offspringfan
06-27-2009, 08:38 AM
Both my mom and dad are very supportive, and they know how important this thing is to me. And they also like the offspring, last year my dad came along with me to see them live

KHWHD
06-27-2009, 08:46 AM
I'm 34 and I'm going by myself. I am meeting a bunch of BBs'ers there, thank God.... lol.

Gustavo
06-27-2009, 08:51 AM
They do not support me at all, they think I am crazy because I like them so much.

Heaven knows how much I went through last year to see them, some friends of mine from here know exactly what I am talking about.

Last year, my parents kept telling me I shouldn't go and did what they could to make me give up of going. But they knew how excited I am, I'd been working on a part time job and I'd saved up all the money I'd made working there. But since they would not have to pay for anything, they let me go like 2 days before the concert, but I had to pay for a friend of mine to go with me. Yeah, I had a babysitter, how convenient.

But, man... Those 32 hours that I spent in that bus and all that money that I'd been saving for nearly 5 months were TOTALLY worth it. Believe me.

Marco
06-27-2009, 09:30 AM
My father actually said that he wanted to come to an Offspring show too.

megadeth
06-27-2009, 09:48 AM
wow i cant believe how uptight some of your parents are LOL

i went to see motorhead when i was 15/16 and my parents just shrugged and said have fun xP

Noodyn666
06-27-2009, 10:34 AM
I have no problem with that

my parents are the best in the world

with my mom i was in at a Nightwish concert

a moth ago i was by a ac /dc concert with my dad, brother and uncle
it was fucking cool.:cool:

so what is the problem ??^^
;)

bouncingcoles
06-27-2009, 05:22 PM
my dad took me to see the offspring in new york in 2004. And he is going with me again to see them in july

Human
06-27-2009, 05:42 PM
Both times I have seen them my dad went with me, because both of my parents don't trust any sort of crowd for The Offspring, he also wanted to see the show along with that. The first time I wanted to see them though was when they were playing the Warped Tour and my parent's response was no way in hell.

Rooster
06-27-2009, 05:45 PM
My mum has been very supportive, she has nothing against me driving to Sziget this summer (me and the members of my band plan to go there together, i'll probably drive), and the next day we're drivig back to Slovenia to see Anti-Flag.

She was a bit more strict when i was younger, but not much. She is very cool about this, and also shares similar musical taste with me.

SMASHedTHEignition
06-27-2009, 10:41 PM
im 15 n dad duznt care tht im goin as longs as i pay for half the ticket

mizbanger98
06-28-2009, 01:31 AM
yea my mom and step dad also love the offspring so they came with me! my little sister and little brother came to so it was basically a family trip to the offspring concert, but they all sat in seats while i was rockin out near the stage!