PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Bass

Static_Martyr
06-27-2009, 06:29 PM
Okay, I've pretty much figured out how to mix guitar in two channels, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to get my bass guitar to stand out; the bottom string is always MUCH louder than any of the higher strings. So I have to turn the bass so low that either the bottom string is normal-volume and the higher ones are almost completely inaudible, or the higher ones are normal-volume and the low one is ridiculously clipped.

I've been listening to some mixes of the different bands that post stuff here, and I've noticed that guys like Ricetigers and Fisticuffs have really well-mixed bass. How do you guys do this? Is it just a matter of settings on the amp or my mixer, or is it something else that I'm doing wrong?

Any and all help would be very, very much appreciated; thanks in advance to any takers :D Trying to practice mixing so that when we finally get our new electronic drum kit (for recording), we can record stuff that sounds really good :)

randman21
06-27-2009, 06:50 PM
Heh, my solution is simple I use fake bass. :P

Fortunately, there is tons of free info out there on mixing. Looking all that stuff up was practically a hobby of mine itself once upon a time. I would say run the bass track through a compressor specifically meant for bass, or some kind of bass amp simulator, but don't quote me on that.

Generally, when I have a problem dealing with recording, I turn to Tweakheadz (http://www.tweakheadz.com/). Tweak's saved my ass on many an occasion. If that doesn't satisfy you, just googling "mixing bass" should do ya.

Homer
06-28-2009, 01:42 AM
Here's what you do:

COMPRESSION!

Attack: 0.5
Release: 0.7
Ratio: 1:30+
Threshold: - 12

Anyway, those numbers don't need to be exact, but whatever's close.

_Lost_
06-28-2009, 03:39 AM
also if what homer said doesn't work, try cutting the volume on the lower frequencies. thats what I do.

I also do it to cut out static, which is mostly found in the highest frequencies which aren't really used by anything but the static.

Static_Martyr
06-30-2009, 07:52 PM
OH SNAP! I totally forgot that I even created this topic. Damn 0.0

In any case, thanks for the advice peoples; I haven't had time to do much in the way of recording (or tooling with my equipment) this week so far, but I'll try to do some this weekend, at which time I plan to try some of this out.

And Homer, where do you plug those numbers in? Do you use a specific recording software to do that?

randman21
06-30-2009, 08:02 PM
As far as I know, pretty much every compressor has those particular options.

Homer
06-30-2009, 10:07 PM
And Homer, where do you plug those numbers in? Do you use a specific recording software to do that?

What program are you using to mix/record?

_Lost_
07-01-2009, 04:14 AM
Last I thought, he had been using one of those 4 track recorders. Those "no computer, all in one place" kind of things. I may be way off on that, but I distinctly remember him talking about one of the tracks no longer recording/working. Maybe he's switched to computers now. heh...

Homer
07-01-2009, 12:54 PM
Well, the best bet (if that's the situation) is to transfer all of the tracks onto the computer, and mix it on a program.

Almost every mixing program has some sort of a compressor.

Static_Martyr
07-01-2009, 01:41 PM
As far as I know, pretty much every compressor has those particular options.

This is the part where I really show my lack of understanding of recording systems: What is a compressor? :confused:

What program are you using to mix/record?

Last I thought, he had been using one of those 4 track recorders. Those "no computer, all in one place" kind of things. I may be way off on that, but I distinctly remember him talking about one of the tracks no longer recording/working. Maybe he's switched to computers now. heh...

Well, the setting we use right now is that we have a 3-track mixer hooked up to the audio input on my PC. We actually record using CoolEdit Pro 2.0.

T-6005
07-01-2009, 02:21 PM
This is the part where I really show my lack of understanding of recording systems: What is a compressor? :confused:

A compressor is essentially a tool which cuts out the extreme ends of your sound. It makes the stuff which is really soft louder, and makes the stuff which is really loud softer in order to get a more reasonable sound to work with. Compressors are especially useful when you're combatting extra noise on a certain string like you are.

Having said that, you can pick up a compressor in pedal form (BOSS makes a semi-decent one), or I'm sure there's a decent VST plugin which does the same thing if you look for it.

randman21
07-01-2009, 03:35 PM
If you want a VST, look up QuadComp. It's free, and they say it's really good. I use it, but I often have no idea what I'm doing with it. I imagine if you just plug in those parameters that Homer suggested, though, you'd be fine.

_Lost_
07-02-2009, 02:09 AM
search the help options in cooledit for compressor. it oughtta tell you where to look and how to use it. if not, you could also use torrents to download acoustica beatcraft or something.

randman21
07-02-2009, 04:42 AM
BY THE WAY (and this is something I should have said a while ago), Cool Edit Pro is an earlier version of Adobe Audition, which I use, so the compressor could possibly be in the effects menu, but they call it "Dynamics Processing". It took me forever to figure that out.

Ryder1234
07-02-2009, 08:46 PM
search the help options in cooledit for compressor. it oughtta tell you where to look and how to use it. if not, you could also use torrents to download acoustica beatcraft or something.

or megaupload (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7o518eid)

yeah... there it is if you want it static

ad8
07-11-2009, 03:35 PM
I've been listening to some mixes of the different bands that post stuff here, and I've noticed that guys like Ricetigers and Fisticuffs have really well-mixed bass.
lol, I thought about starting a thread like this since I really want to improve my mixing skills and always think that the bass is not good enough:D But I guess Homer does have some mixing knowledge since his songs are usually very well-mixed.

Ryder1234
07-12-2009, 12:36 PM
I don't have any input on mixing bass, but I need help on acoustic guitar.

I can record it at a good volume, but when I record, I get a bassy sound on all the low notes. It's more like a low frequency than bass.

I would use compression for that, right? What numbers?

randman21
07-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Hehe, I just started trying to record acoustic guitar today. I had the same problem at first, but I expected it. If you're lucky, what you're experiencing is called the "proximity effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proximity_effect_(audio))," where when the mic is too close to the guitar, the bass is overwhelming in the mix. The simple solution: move the mic about a foot away from the guitar.

Ryder1234
07-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Actually, that's not it. I was standing quite a bit back from the mic.

randman21
07-13-2009, 05:07 AM
Ahh. Well, unfortunately for you, it's probably not such an easy fix. It sounds like it has more to do with the acoustics of the room or the quality of the mic (but I think I read somewhere that you just a good mic, though, yes?)

coke_a_holic
07-13-2009, 07:06 AM
Do you have an equalizer for your input on whatever program you're recording with? You might want to just turn down the bass and up the treble in the mix.

If not, though, your best bet might be to just, if possible, not play the lowest string on the guitar... I generally don't have that sort of problem, though, unless I'm way too close to the mic.

Ryder1234
07-13-2009, 12:47 PM
Ahh. Well, unfortunately for you, it's probably not such an easy fix. It sounds like it has more to do with the acoustics of the room or the quality of the mic (but I think I read somewhere that you just a good mic, though, yes?)

Yeah, it is a good mic. I'll see what I can do to fix it.

Do you have an equalizer for your input on whatever program you're recording with? You might want to just turn down the bass and up the treble in the mix.

If not, though, your best bet might be to just, if possible, not play the lowest string on the guitar... I generally don't have that sort of problem, though, unless I'm way too close to the mic.
I don't have one in the recording program but I'm pretty sure there's one in my editing program. Not playing a lowest string isn't an option, it does that on the 3 lowest strings.

Static_Martyr
07-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Sorry it took me so long to get back in here....thanks MUCH to everyone who offered advice! I've been playing around with the Dynamics Processing settings in CoolEdit and I think I've found some comfortable settings....but I still have one major problem. The mix ends up looking weird in the waveform window, and sounding really tightly compressed; the bottom of the waveform is completely flat and cropped off, like it does when it clips. It's like the waveform gets pulled off center by some part of the mixing process....I didn't really notice this while I was recording/editing the individual files, but when I mixed it all down to a single MP3 it became very noticeable 0.0 Any ideas on what the cause of that might be, or how to fix it?