PDA

View Full Version : Look what I just bought!

_Lost_
06-29-2009, 10:22 AM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b147/lost_nvrfound/184768-480-552.jpg

I've always wanted one of these cause they are so neato looking.
I found it on ebay for $20. It has a couple issues that are cheaply and easily fixed. It had a bunch of upgrades so thats why I figured that it'd be worth it to buy and then fix. I'm excited. Of course it won't be able to do nearly as much as my macpro, but this is mostly for shits and giggles. :D

Oxygene
06-29-2009, 10:39 AM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b147/lost_nvrfound/184768-480-552.jpg

I've always wanted one of these cause they are so neato looking.
I found it on ebay for $20. It has a couple issues that are cheaply and easily fixed. It had a bunch of upgrades so thats why I figured that it'd be worth it to buy and then fix. I'm excited. Of course it won't be able to do nearly as much as my macpro, but this is mostly for shits and giggles. :D

macpro?

ri*COUGH*ch...

Little_Miss_1565
06-29-2009, 10:43 AM
I'm getting a MacPro soon -- it ain't a matter of being rich, it's a matter of having a credit card and student loans! :p

I love those old clamshells. I'd warn you about run problems, but for $20 might as well just have fun with it!

Harleyquiiinn
06-29-2009, 10:50 AM
Vintage ! this is great ! I think this is 20$ well spent.

hshduppsnt
06-29-2009, 10:51 AM
hahaha nice get! those are colorful that's for sure.

as for the macpro - :drool:

Smash_Returns
06-29-2009, 11:07 AM
Why limit yourself to macs? Other than networking and media editing, it's quite limited, and iLife is one of the worst software bundles I've ever seen. Applications such as Keynote and iTunes are useless, because they had better competitors, and use fucked up file formats for GENERAL MEDIA FILES. Files that should be compatible cross-platform. They show that they *can* run universal files (like mp3), but they idiotically think they have any reason to use a different file format. (Similar argument applies to the USB/FireWire debate, but USB already has pretty much won that one)

Also, the argument of no viruses on mac is unfounded. There are viruses, just fewer of them. This has lulled most mac users into think they don't need Anti-Virus software, or can get away with outdated software. There are still viruses on Macs, just much fewer, and they all have been minor. However, with Mac popularity increasing, more people are writing viruses for Macs, and when there is a major virus for macs, it'll be much worse than an Windows outbreak, because no one will have anti-virus software.

Also, Safari is, by far, the worst browser. Even worse than Internet Explorer.

However, Macs do have some very nice features, and I will admit Macs are much more user-friendly for networking, and media EDITING (not running media)

Which is why I run Linux as my main OS, Vista as a secondary OS, and Leopard in a virtual machine. All have advantages, but I'm sick of people making out macs as more than they are. I enjoy using macs, my first computer was an original Mac OS. I'd say Mac is par with Windows, but in no way is it overall better. The only obviously superior OS is Linux, and thats only if you know how to develop your own software/write your own code/hack.
[/rant]

Anyways, nice find. I'm sad because my 1989 original Mac OS finally died.

Oxygene
06-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Why limit yourself to macs? Other than networking and media editing, it's quite limited, and iLife is one of the worst software bundles I've ever seen. Applications such as Keynote and iTunes are useless, because they had better competitors, and use fucked up file formats for GENERAL MEDIA FILES. Files that should be compatible cross-platform. They show that they *can* run universal files (like mp3), but they idiotically think they have any reason to use a different file format. (Similar argument applies to the USB/FireWire debate, but USB already has pretty much won that one)

USB already won?
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/6463/wowo.gif
USB sucks.. it still can't tell if u connected a 1.1 or 2.0 device it fucking blows. The reason I don't use pendrives is because they suck so hard. FireWire on the other hand is reliable. Especially firewire800 if u aren't using windows which obviously doesn't work properly with it.

Also, the argument of no viruses on mac is unfounded. There are viruses, just fewer of them. This has lulled most mac users into think they don't need Anti-Virus software, or can get away with outdated software. There are still viruses on Macs, just much fewer, and they all have been minor. However, with Mac popularity increasing, more people are writing viruses for Macs, and when there is a major virus for macs, it'll be much worse than an Windows outbreak, because no one will have anti-virus software.

Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah... fewer of them. I've never had one, and if I ever will I will still have spent a millionth of the time and computer resources getting rid of it, than if I were on a PC

It's the worstest EVARRR

However, Macs do have some very nice features, and I will admit Macs are much more user-friendly for networking, and media EDITING (not running media)

Yeah add to that more reliable for office work.

Which is why I run Linux as my main OS, Vista as a secondary OS, and Leopard in a virtual machine. All have advantages, but I'm sick of people making out macs as more than they are. I enjoy using macs, my first computer was an original Mac OS. I'd say Mac is par with Windows, but in no way is it overall better. The only obviously superior OS is Linux, and thats only if you know how to develop your own software/write your own code/hack.
[/rant]

Yeah but some of us have lives/real jobs/shit to do.. if you've got the time, know how, and energy to be up to speed on linux then yes it is obviously so much better, but like I said some of us have lives/real jobs(nonIT)/shit to do in our free time. For me it's easier to cash out for a Mac lay back and let the computer work for me and not vice versa.. after all machines are meant to serve us not the other way around.

Anyways, nice find. I'm sad because my 1989 original Mac OS finally died.

That's a bummer

JohnnyNemesis
06-29-2009, 11:44 AM
NOTHING is worse than Internet Explorer. NOTHIIIIIING.

Fuck Safari, though.

Little_Miss_1565
06-29-2009, 11:56 AM
Why limit yourself to macs? Other than networking and media editing, it's quite limited, and iLife is one of the worst software bundles I've ever seen. Applications such as Keynote and iTunes are useless, because they had better competitors, and use fucked up file formats for GENERAL MEDIA FILES. Files that should be compatible cross-platform.

I'm not a mac apologist, but iLife saves to Microsoft file formats as well. Chillaxxxx. Some people prefer macs outside of media applications, some prefer PCs.

Which is why both PC and Mac users prefer Firefox. :P

My Macs have never had problems running media.

All have advantages, but I'm sick of people making out macs as more than they are. I enjoy using macs, my first computer was an original Mac OS. [/rant]

Which I understand but have no idea where this came from because Lost was just posting about a vintage find.

Smash_Returns
06-29-2009, 11:59 AM
Even some mac machines have stopped supporting firewire.

I've had no issues with USB, and I have had many issues with firewire. Firewire only has an advantage when transferring a single, large file. Other than that USB is much better. Also, Very few device support firewire.

I'd say they're even for office work, unless your work network gets a virus.

It isn't life-consuming to learn Linux. You don't need to update to every new version to come out. Get one that you like, and learn to use it. It's no more of a time investment than learning the tricks to using Mac or Windows.

Also, I was able to BUILD my own machine top-notch, and run both Windows and Linux on it for less than buying a Mac.
(Building is not as complicated as some people say. It's basically adult legos.)
Cost me about $1000 dollars to build a machine that was about 4x as powerful as a Mac that costs as much.

But I refuse to buy any desktop computer, Mac or otherwise. It's a total waste of money, and it only takes an hour or so to slap together a computer, then a few more to install the OS. Much less time than waiting for shipping of a computer (unless you buy at a retailer, in which case, you obviously don't care about getting a good computer). I always build.

The issue with your argument, is that you assume that doing what I do requires no life, which is blatantly untrue. I have a job (how else could I pay for software and computer parts to build?), I have a life, and stuff to do. I don't keep up with the latest and greatest in Linux. I just found one I liked, and stuck to it. I'd rather not pay up the ass, and get more out of my computer than I ever would get if I simply bought a Mac.

And, I've never had issues running media with a mac, but it isn't *better* at it. The capabilities are the same.

I did attempt to re-rail the thread at the end. Nice vintage find. I was responding to everyone cumming buckets over the macpro.

JohnnyNemesis
06-29-2009, 12:00 PM
I never, EVER see anyone hype up Macs. Fucking NEVER.

However, I do see PC and Linux users foaming at the mouth and going into lengthy, pointless diatribes anytime someone even mentions a Mac. That shit is annoying as fuck.

Smash_Returns
06-29-2009, 12:08 PM
Everywhere I go, it's the opposite way around. Macs are always getting hyped and posting multi-paragraph statements of superiority. PC users are crying in the corner because the Mac users are bullying them, and the Linux users always just sit on the sidelines and laugh at the conversation.

I don't know where you're going, it must be the official PC and Linux fanboys forum, because I only ever see Mac hype rants, people bragging about how their mac is so great. I try to stay neutral, because they all have pros and cons. The con with Linux is that it's constantly changing, and hard to stay on top of.

Now, back to the matter at hand. I want to re-rail this discussion.

How well does it work? If it works, you gotta put Escape Velocity on there. That game is amazing.

Oxygene
06-29-2009, 12:13 PM
Even some mac machines have stopped supporting firewire.

*random pc rant*

I did attempt to re-rail the thread at the end. Nice vintage find. I was responding to everyone cumming buckets over the macpro.

Dude, firewire stopping was a marketing decision. But I'd rather not explain that.
I went into a store whipped out my credit card and a got a computer built in to a screen that has three years warranty, and I don't have to worry about it done.

I used to build my own computers, but I'm corporate suite.. any time I can save is fucking essential, and it's worth more than money to me. I'm sorry but dicking around with installing and tweaking is a luxury I can't affor anymore. You can.. good for you, I'm not saying you made the wrong decision, and I'm not saying you have no life (I was obviously exaggerating), but I CAN'T AFFORD IT. What is expensive for you in mulah is expensive for me in time. Being productive, timely, efficient is way more important than money for me. My iPhone syncs with my IMAP server seamlessly and my mac, and my .mac (mobile me), all with the mail app. If I connect anything get any file I can work with it.. no hassle no dicking around.. if I need software I have one place where I can always get it from fast an efficienly, no need to search etc etc. JN is right, it always gets degraded to a goddam penis measuring contest... your choice is right for you, and mine is right for me.

end of story

RonWelty
06-29-2009, 12:14 PM
I fucking love MICROSOFT :D.

Oxygene
06-29-2009, 12:16 PM
I fucking love MICROSOFT :D.

No surprise there.

RonWelty
06-29-2009, 12:34 PM
No surprise there.

Really? why?

Harleyquiiinn
06-29-2009, 12:35 PM
Actually I do love Microsoft too :o I can't help it... I just love how they absolutely do not care about competition law. It's like "hey look, I'm a huge corporation and I'm better and richer than you, whatever you do... What do you mean with "competition" ? MAN, WE HAVE NO COMPETITION ! WE KILLED IT ALREADY !" :D

Working for Microsoft would be one of my dream job...

Anyway, I'm making my computers too... the desk ones at least... Nothing better than going to the chinese retailers and build your own thing.

BUT, I don't think that the PC/Mac fight is the point here. The old Mac that Lost bought has a cool design. As I said, I would defintely spend 20$ in this !

Little_Miss_1565
06-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Even some mac machines have stopped supporting firewire.I did attempt to re-rail the thread at the end. Nice vintage find. I was responding to everyone cumming buckets over the macpro.

I reserve the right to cum buckets over the MacPro as I'm a web designer. :P

What is Escape Velocity?

Vera
06-29-2009, 01:01 PM
As much as I pretend to rail against Mac users on occasion (ie. have jokey arguments with those friends of mine who are ardent Apple lovers), it's really a fucking non-issue and I genuinely think geeks everywhere need to chillax and stop treating it like a conflict fundamental to their sense of self.

My (now retired) professor had one of those old desktop Macs you used to see on TV shows because they looked the coolest. It was so cute.

_Lost_
06-29-2009, 01:36 PM
this.

Fuck Safari, though.
and this.

My Macs have never had problems running media.

this.

this thread shouldn't be a argument about mac vs pc.

i like macs. I would NEVER recommend them to any of my friends because they grew up only on pc and would be miserable.

the only thing i don't like about macs is that a lot of the software adaptations for mac blow. like AIM. worst. program. ever. i can't use the scroll on the mouse pad without it crashing the program so ricky recommended adium which is great.

the reason apple is producing all this hype is because PC took over the market and apple lost their footing. now they are playing catch up trying to take over the college market. I've seen a lot of people buy macs and they shouldn't have. they would have been happier with pc.

the only reason i have a mac pro is my grandparents had land in texas that they bought 20 years ago. since then, its value has increased ten-fold. they sold it last year and got this computer for me for graduation.

i mostly bought this G3 laptop cause I loved how they looked when i was a kid. I mean look at it! PC has never come up with something so aesthetically pleasing. its like something out of the future... except its old... :D

T-6005
06-29-2009, 01:48 PM
Why didn't we just go into congratulations on the cheap price and classic factor?

Because a certain someone was chomping at the bit for no reason and dived into lengthy diatribe on a subject no one cares about.

Llamas
06-29-2009, 04:45 PM
Holy shit, Smash Returns... calm down.

I don't like macs (and I do know how to use them - I often have to use them) but I detest all the arguing about this crap. It is a personal opinion with not much factual support on either side. The only thing I like more about macs is that they do look nicer, but that's not enough to get me to buy one.

And for $20, that's pretty fun. Even as someone who doesn't like macs, I'd buy that for that price!

IamSam
06-29-2009, 04:49 PM
Congrats on your nostalgic purchase! :)

Outerspaceman21
06-29-2009, 05:33 PM
Cool purchase. Macs are cool. I really don't care what kind of computer I use.

_Lost_
06-29-2009, 10:18 PM
hehe. thanks guys! I can't wait for this thing to come in the mail!

Smash_Returns
06-29-2009, 11:12 PM
I have sufficiently calmed down.

Anyways, Escape Velocity is a game for Mac, it's quite fun, one of the first games I ever played as well. It was THE first game to ever steal my soul.

_Lost_
06-30-2009, 04:27 AM
I was responding to everyone cumming buckets over the macpro.

I was gonna ask your justification for the freak out when I unfortunately took the time to read one of your posts and saw this.

I think the key thing that your argument is missing is that, though your computer may have the same specs (or better) than mine, that doesn't mean that your computer can do what mine can better (or the same). The difference in the way the software is written and operates between the types of computers is huge. and the "cheaper" argument is really a non argument because while my computer will probably still be running at full speed ahead 5 years from now (assuming i take proper care of it and don't allow my hard drive to get too cluttered) you will probably have already replaced your computer because things like over complex antivirus software and simple age slow it down to a snail's pace compared to what it once was. now you may take better care of your computer than most but even so, pc operatings systems get bogged down, try to process too many things at once (seriously, has anyone seen the amount of things the computer is trying to do at once even though you think you aren't doing anything with it? its insane and a lot of those extrraneous processes are really hard to trace down and stop at the source), and straight up wear out. in order to get a good solid pc thats going to last as long as a mac would, you'd need to spend at least as much for good quality. You may have gotten that fancy smancy motherboard for $50, but that Intel 7300 is still gonna cost you $1400.

Oxygene
06-30-2009, 05:24 AM
You may have gotten that fancy smancy motherboard for $50, but that Intel 7300 is still gonna cost you $1400.

I believe the accepted and correct jargon would be "fancy shmancy".. mac fanboi! :D

_Lost_
06-30-2009, 05:50 AM
apologies for the error. i dont know all that PC termonology stuff. its not really my forté. *shrug*

Oxygene
06-30-2009, 06:03 AM
apologies for the error. i dont know all that PC termonology stuff. its not really my forté. *shrug*

Forty? I prefere beer but whatever... =)

_Lost_
06-30-2009, 06:08 AM
to each his own, i always say. do what you wanna do and what not. your choice.

GreenTerror
06-30-2009, 07:02 AM

qft.

Everywhere I go, it's the opposite way around. Macs are always getting hyped and posting multi-paragraph statements of superiority. PC users are crying in the corner because the Mac users are bullying them, and the Linux users always just sit on the sidelines and laugh at the conversation.

I enjoyed this bit.

Yeah but some of us have lives/real jobs/shit to do.. if you've got the time, know how, and energy to be up to speed on linux then yes it is obviously so much better, but like I said some of us have lives/real jobs(nonIT)/shit to do in our free time. For me it's easier to cash out for a Mac lay back and let the computer work for me and not vice versa.. after all machines are meant to serve us not the other way around.

Just a little more than a year ago, I wiped my entire hard drive and installed Ubuntu Linux without know anything about Linux AT ALL. I've used only Windows ever since I've been using computers. I somehow got some awful Trojans in XP that just would not go away. I ignored it, then came the DOS attacks, no email or Google. So after being recommended a Linux distro, read about it, and the next day my machine was up and running beautifully with Ubuntu. Only took me a few days to get the basics down, and any problems you encounter or need help with, there's always forums and groups out there who are dedicated to helping out new users, and they are helpful about 99% of the time. Plus, apparently Ubuntu is the Linux distro for beginners. Even better.
There's always a dual-boot setup, too, if you're unsure.

Having a Linux box isn't really high maintenance or time consuming, and you don't have to know how to write code to use it right. Basically, just don't be a fucking retard, be willing to learn (not even much to learn if you know how to use a computer, really), and you'll get it all just fine. It's really not as hard as people make it out to be. However, it does kick as much ass as we all say it does.

As for the Mac situation, I've never owned a Mac or had any experience with a Mac, but I've heard great things. I'd definitely like to get one someday. Too bad a decent one costs about twice as much as a well-equipped PC does, though :(
Long-term goal, I guess.