PDA

View Full Version : Was This a Joke?

brothadave79
06-30-2009, 11:29 PM
At the show tonight in Canandaigua, New York, Dexter sat at the piano that was brought onstage. He sat down relaxed with a beer, and said that he was a "serious musician" and could play the piano if he wanted. Nothing seems out of the ordinary so far. Then he asked the audience if they wanted to hear him play something on the piano. Some applause. He asked again, but that he needed to really hear people be excited. I heard a couple of boos from nearby up front. Then Dexter let the audience have it.

"Fuck you. Just forget it. You know what? I was gonna do this for you, and it was gonna be really cool and really special. But you know what? You can fuck off now." Then he flipped off the crowd, slapped his beer off the piano, and walked offstage.

Noodles quickly came out and sat at the piano. "You'll have to excuse my friend, Dexter. He's one of those temperamental artist types. I think we could probably get him back out here. Will you guys chant with me?" He led the crowd in chanting Dexter's name until he came back out, which didn't take long.

Dexter came out with another beer. "Thanks, Noodles." Noodles, replied "These people fucking love you dude, come on."

Dexter then told the crowd he guessed that he was just so "nervous" and needed a bit more encouragement. The "Dex-Ter" chant went on again and then he eventually played the song from Peanuts and Gone Away.

I'm not quite sure if this was a joke or a great save by Noodles. Either way, it was pulled off brilliantly.

I'm uploading a video of it to YouTube. Sorry that it's shitty quality. Way to find out my new camera doesn't have as good a mic as the old one. :(

SMASHedTHEignition
06-30-2009, 11:33 PM
woah..

that is weird..
im not sure if he was joking or not, he could of been but i guess il just hav 2 c the video of it first..make sure to post the link wen u upload it

cheers

SuperKnux
06-30-2009, 11:39 PM
lmao! I'm sure it was a joke.. but damn, that sounds kinda harsh either way.

Thomas
06-30-2009, 11:42 PM
I think it was a joke. I mean, he did tell off the jackasses, but he was at least funny about it. Ya know? I'm glad they are bringing back all their old stage antics again...

rlplaymaker
06-30-2009, 11:47 PM
At the show tonight in Canandaigua, New York, Dexter sat at the piano that was brought onstage. He sat down relaxed with a beer, and said that he was a "serious musician" and could play the piano if he wanted. Nothing seems out of the ordinary so far. Then he asked the audience if they wanted to hear him play something on the piano. Some applause. He asked again, but that he needed to really hear people be excited. I heard a couple of boos from nearby up front. Then Dexter let the audience have it.

"Fuck you. Just forget it. You know what? I was gonna do this for you, and it was gonna be really cool and really special. But you know what? You can fuck off now." Then he flipped off the crowd, slapped his beer off the piano, and walked offstage.

Noodles quickly came out and sat at the piano. "You'll have to excuse my friend, Dexter. He's one of those temperamental artist types. I think we could probably get him back out here. Will you guys chant with me?" He led the crowd in chanting Dexter's name until he came back out, which didn't take long.

Dexter came out with another beer. "Thanks, Noodles." Noodles, replied "These people fucking love you dude, come on."

Dexter then told the crowd he guessed that he was just so "nervous" and needed a bit more encouragement. The "Dex-Ter" chant went on again and then he eventually played the song from Peanuts and Gone Away.

I'm not quite sure if this was a joke or a great save by Noodles. Either way, it was pulled off brilliantly.

I'm uploading a video of it to YouTube. Sorry that it's shitty quality. Way to find out my new camera doesn't have as good a mic as the old one. :(

part of the act. he did somethin similar in Milwaukee

HalfxTruism
07-01-2009, 12:17 AM
Dexter does the same thing in all the shows of this tour. If you watch the Gone Away live videos (the new version on piano), Dex says the same things about the piano in every show, not exactly the same words, but always a similar joke. It's just a part of the show. Maybe he looks serious but well, we know how Dexter is... He's joking.

brothadave79
07-01-2009, 12:18 AM
Maybe it was part of the act, after all. But I wasn't sure at the time. Still unsure, to be honest.

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64sXcJrYdP0

brothadave79
07-01-2009, 12:18 AM
Dexter does the same thing in all the shows of this tour. If you watch the Gone Away live videos (the new version on piano), Dex says the same things about the piano in every show, not exactly the same words, but always a similar joke. It's just a part of the show. Maybe he looks serious but well, we know how Dexter is... He's joking.

Yeah, but I never heard anything about him getting pissed and flipping off the crowd.

Dexter_italy
07-01-2009, 12:37 AM
Maybe it was part of the act, after all. But I wasn't sure at the time. Still unsure, to be honest.

definetly a joke :D

brothadave79
07-01-2009, 12:45 AM
definetly a joke :D

Good! Because I lolled when it happened, but after rethinking I wasn't so sure.

cool 2 hate 681
07-01-2009, 12:59 AM

great acting by dexter much better then idle hands :p

Oxygene
07-01-2009, 01:02 AM
Dexter loves the fans he wouldn't seriously say shit like that even if he was in a pissy mood I don't think

SelfEsteem94
07-01-2009, 02:32 AM
it probably was a joke,
but that seems a little extreme for just being a joke.
in San Antonio,
the only thing Dexter did was say "Fuck you, I'm a serious musician,"
and flick off the crowd.
id probably get a little freaked out if i saw Dexter do a joke like that.

findout5
07-01-2009, 02:34 AM
He probably had to pee...beer does have that effect on people!

randman21
07-01-2009, 03:02 AM
Roffle. That was awesome.

great acting by dexter much better then idle hands :p
Hahaha, my thought exactly.

He probably had to pee...beer does have that effect on people!
Yeah, I've always wondered how they drink that much beer before and during the shows and never have to take a leak.

Free?
07-01-2009, 03:10 AM
Definitely a joke. They are improvising and messing with a "spoiled artist" image.

_Lost_
07-01-2009, 03:20 AM
Woah woah woah! He played the Peanuts theme?!?! Cool! In Nashville, he played (and royally fucked up) chopsticks. And I quote "I'm really nervous, I've always wanted to play this song on stage but I'm scared I'll mess up." *plays chopsticks badly*

Yeah, I've always wondered how they drink that much beer before and during the shows and never have to take a leak.

lol! sweat my dear. I was out wandering around downtown this weekend with a friend of mine. I consumed large amounts of soda and what not, but didn't feel the need to go until hours after coming back inside (and I'm the type who uses the bathroom at least every couple hours)...

Oxygene
07-01-2009, 03:20 AM

They don't drink before the show.. maybe 1 or 2 max.. they drink during and after.. and after they do take a leak ;)

Oxygene
07-01-2009, 03:21 AM
lol! sweat my dear. I was out wandering around downtown this weekend with a friend of mine. I consumed large amounts of soda and what not, but didn't feel the need to go until hours after coming back inside (and I'm the type who uses the bathroom at least every couple hours)...

They use stage fans

Beaker
07-01-2009, 03:28 AM
i cant see why that would be serious, pretty funny though. :D

i wish i was there.

Tomasisko
07-01-2009, 03:33 AM
ROFL, Noodles is a king :D

RonWelty
07-01-2009, 03:43 AM
yeah, Dexter had some shoes on this head and he kept playing so it wouldn't be 3 ou 4 people not happy about him playing piano that would made him leave like that.

Stylie
07-01-2009, 04:49 AM
Hahahah, now that's awesome! At first when I began to reads this, I thought Dexter really flipped of and got really serious, but after reading it all I understood it probably just was a joke. ...and that's a nice one, haha! :D Some action and acting, schweet.

They're just totally awesome. That was something no one here probably expected them to do. Nice! ;)

Rutegard
07-01-2009, 05:14 AM

this is awesome! i mean the fact that u caught it on video!!

but yeah...stills weird :P

slagod
07-01-2009, 05:17 AM
Did Noodles kiss Dexter or it only seemed like it? :D

slagod
07-01-2009, 05:20 AM
They don't drink before the show.. maybe 1 or 2 max.. they drink during and after.. and after they do take a leak ;)

Before Katowice perform in 2001 Noodles drank not 1 even not 2, but 7! :D
And it was Żywiec - the best polish beer :)

Rutegard
07-01-2009, 05:21 AM
Was Noodles kissed Dexter or it only seemed like it? :D

and y not? do u know anyone that could resist doing it? :P

slagod
07-01-2009, 05:31 AM
I wanted to, but Dexter said that I'm too ugly for him :(

PEND@LF
07-01-2009, 05:33 AM
of cource joke :) in my opinion Dexter when the rise - smiled. quality of course bad, but I thought so...
and Noodles rocks! :P

slagod
07-01-2009, 05:39 AM
BTW: the answer on the question in title of the thread: YES, OF COURSE :)

Oxygene
07-01-2009, 06:11 AM
Before Katowice perform in 2001 Noodles drank not 1 even not 2, but 7! :D
And it was Żywiec - the best polish beer :)

that isn't their usual MO

Jojan
07-01-2009, 07:00 AM
All I have to say is;

R O T F L M A O

_Lost_
07-01-2009, 07:44 AM
They use stage fans
even with fans, they are still gonna sweat. may not notice it as much since the fans dry them quickly, but, no matter what you do, you are still gonna fry on stage. Especially since its the summer and a large amount of their shows are outdoors with no a/c

Smash_Returns
07-01-2009, 08:30 AM
He did pretty much the same thing in St. Paul, except he didn't walk off-stage, the crowd was too intense to get any wilder, short of killing people. He also did the charlie brown theme there too.

It's all part of the act for this tour.

Gustavo
07-01-2009, 08:45 AM
Dude, it was hilarious! Thanks for taping and sharing that, Dave.
And I think it's kinda obvious it's a joke. Nicely done, Mr. Holland and Mr. Wasserman.

Twisted Mind
07-01-2009, 09:05 AM
I've been watching some videos in youtube, about Dex doing kinda the same things... He played the Snoopy theme, isn't it cute?

I think he was kidding, btw. If he were really upset and seriously saying all those things, probably would be easier for him just to leave. I don't know, that's what i think.

Outerspaceman21
07-01-2009, 09:11 AM
He's an artist and nobody understand him!!!!

Reamwolf
07-01-2009, 09:16 AM
He's an artist and nobody understand him!!!!

XD
And he is emo...
Look at his profile on here, he has no friends.

I like this joke. It's awesome.
^_^

RyanSabotage
07-01-2009, 10:25 AM
id be pissed if he walked off stage
ither way, its purely a joke

Twisted Mind
07-01-2009, 10:32 AM
XD
And he is emo...
Look at his profile on here, he has no friends.

OMG, i should guess that before! /omg

univonc
07-01-2009, 10:39 AM
It's part of the act. Remember their punk roots.

It's an act.

jacknife737
07-01-2009, 01:21 PM
It's definitely a joke/act.

It's cool to see they still care about the quality of their live performances, the effort is always appreciated.

brothadave79
07-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Haha there is an overwhelming consensus that it was just a joke. Which makes me feel silly. I was thrown by the coincidence of a couple Dropkick Murphys fans booing right before Dexter "flipped." I still found it really funny though. :)

KHWHD
07-01-2009, 01:36 PM
It's definitely a joke/act.

It's cool to see they still care about the quality of their live performances, the effort is always appreciated.

I concur. :cool:

nameless
07-01-2009, 02:34 PM
from the post it sounded like a joke, he probably was expecting a better reaction though!

ArtificialLife
07-01-2009, 03:18 PM
If you think that was serious then you know nothing of Dexter's sarcastic personality. Either that or you can't tell how bad they are at acting haha.