PDA

View Full Version : All people should support autism

dexter12296566
07-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Hey this is dexter12296566 and i think more people should support autism. I actually have high-performing autism called Asperger's Syndrome. It is rare in girls so it was unlikely 4 me 2 get it 4:5 people with autism are boys and autism is the largest growing mental illness in the U.S. there is a 1 in 166 chance that a child being born has autism. today 3,200,000 people have autism 2,400,000 are boys and 800,000 are girls. Only a few short years ago the chance of having autism was 1 in 1,000. Every one needs to work together and find what is causing it so we can put an end to it.

Al Coholic
07-01-2009, 05:01 PM
If those stats are correct that's somethin. From .1% to .6% you're saying? Scary.

SweetTatyana
07-01-2009, 05:11 PM
The reason the number of autism cases has risen recently is because the symptoms for diagnosis have changed. For example, before being autistic before meant that you had some sort of mental impairment, which is not true anymore. So the new diagnosis is much more lenient and includes more people, that is why numbers are increases dirastically.

T-6005
07-01-2009, 05:45 PM
In Boston Legal there's an awesome character with Asperger's called Jerry Espinson. I suggest you check it out because it's great.

nieh
07-01-2009, 06:37 PM
I used to work with Autistic kids in my school and my family even took one in for a few years. I don't remember what the reasoning was for that, although I'm assuming it had something to do with his mom being a fucking nutjob that shouldn't have been allowed to have ANY child, let alone a special needs one. She once took his glasses and refused to let him wear them anymore for at least a few weeks because when she looked through them, she couldn't see properly.

SweetTatyana
07-01-2009, 06:46 PM
fun autism fact, apparently it is believed that both Einstein and Newton had Asperger's Syndrome

Smash_Returns
07-01-2009, 08:32 PM
Tatyana's right. The main reason why it's increasing so much is because of the change is symptoms for diagnosis.

I think that saying "supporting autism" sends the wrong message. Should be "supporting autism research"

Either way, I've known a few autistic people, and agree.

Thomas
07-01-2009, 08:40 PM
I support autism.

RyanSabotage
07-02-2009, 11:32 PM
theres no way of funding something liek that
it doesnt kill you
its really no harm
who cares

so what about n. korea tryin to threaten us?
wheres my stimilus package?

KyleW
07-06-2009, 01:27 AM
There was a kid at my old school with autism. Im not sure what type it was, I assume you can get different types but yeah, its not nice. He didnt look like he was in any pain though or any suffering.

Little_Miss_1565
07-06-2009, 06:37 AM
theres no way of funding something liek that
it doesnt kill you
its really no harm
who cares

so what about n. korea tryin to threaten us?
wheres my stimilus package?

... except for the part where research is already being funded not only by the government but by many private organizations. I'm poor too but that doesn't mean the government should be bailing me out and not helping people that need it. Autism being no harm is definitely not true, and you should probably spend some time around kids with autism before you start making judgments like that.

I don't support autism, but I support research for autism to figure out the causes and help alleviate the symptoms.

IamSam
07-06-2009, 07:05 AM
When I first read the title of this thread I thought it was to support the continuation of autism.

Rooster
07-06-2009, 12:20 PM
I deffinitely support researching autism, we all know how much medicine and science have progressed in the last century, maybe if researchers would put more work in it some cure could be found, or at least something that would help people with autism to live more normally would be discovered.

edit: RyanSabotage, that was totally uncalled for. There's no need of being rude, you should be ashamed of yourself.

IamSam
07-06-2009, 12:39 PM
thats horrible, it is hard living with autism

Obviously. I misinterpreted it. Why would I want autism to continue?

brothadave79
07-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Obviously. I misinterpreted it. Why would I want autism to continue?

True. There have been tongue-in-cheek thread titles like that before in this section.

SMASHedTHEignition
08-02-2009, 03:23 AM
my dads a teacher at a school for kids with mental ilnes and we are always goin to kids partys that have autism and other things and you cant tell that they have an ill, so illnes..

so i support you

Greg-K's-PENIS
08-02-2009, 04:31 AM
my little brother has ad/hd and my mum has a serious mental illness too... so I support helping all people with autism and other mental illness's

renato piquette
08-02-2009, 10:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrhqXMEnDew

JoY
08-02-2009, 04:04 PM
I used to work with Autistic kids in my school and my family even took one in for a few years. I don't remember what the reasoning was for that, although I'm assuming it had something to do with his mom being a fucking nutjob that shouldn't have been allowed to have ANY child, let alone a special needs one. She once took his glasses and refused to let him wear them anymore for at least a few weeks because when she looked through them, she couldn't see properly.

sounds like she's on something that could've caused his autism.

Llamas
08-02-2009, 08:44 PM
Whooo! Go autism! I love autism! Anyone who doesn't love autism is an enemy of mine! Autism for all!

Beaker
08-02-2009, 11:47 PM
my brother is autistic, great kid when you dont break his routine,

there has been lots of research, and some is really positive, :D

IamSam
08-03-2009, 05:13 AM
Whooo! Go autism! I love autism! Anyone who doesn't love autism is an enemy of mine! Autism for all!

You're way late on this joke. Way. Late. Late as in scared that you're gonna be pregnant late. That late.

Llamas
08-03-2009, 11:14 AM
You're way late on this joke. Way. Late. Late as in scared that you're gonna be pregnant late. That late.

haha I sort of figured when I made it, but I didn't feel like reading through the whole thread to see :P

wheelchairman
08-03-2009, 11:38 AM
No offence Dexter. But you shit all over other threads with stupid comments, you can hardly complain when someone does it to your own thread.

Llamas
08-03-2009, 02:23 PM
you should look through the whole thread and try to understand instead of making jokes about it

Uhh I do understand the thread. I just didn't notice that someone had already made the joke. And your VM on my profile is funny :P

IamSam
08-03-2009, 06:01 PM
what the hell is wrong with you

She has a sense of humor. You know 'ha ha' 'hee hee' 'hoo hoo' 'ha ha?'

Llamas
08-03-2009, 06:15 PM
Pretty sure I didn't laugh at autism anywhere at all.. I can have fun and joke around AND work with autistic kids in my job OMG!

randman21
08-03-2009, 06:19 PM
THIS EXPLAINS EVERYTHING.k

Llamas
08-03-2009, 06:28 PM
if you work with autistic kids you want to give me some tips on how to cope with aspergers syndrome cuz i cant get helpi didnt get a jumpstart cuz i was only diagnosed two years ago

Wait, first you spend time poking at me for making a joke and tell me I don't understand and tell me there's something wrong with me... and then you turn around and ask for advice? wtf?

Anyway, I mean that there are autistic kids in the classes I teach, so obviously I deal with autism all the time and I fully understand it... so your comments were pretty unnecessary.

IamSam
08-03-2009, 07:13 PM
not a very good one because autism and any other illnesses is no laughing matter

No one was laughing at your illness but were laughing at your atrocious grammar.

Little_Miss_1565
08-04-2009, 07:57 AM
I think you're going to have more success getting help from your doctor and your parents than on a band's forum.

Llamas
08-04-2009, 12:40 PM
I don't have bad grammar.

"all people should support autism" when you meant "all people should support research for autism" is poor grammar. So Iamsam was correct.

And you're still asking me for help after being a dick to me. And I also agree with 1565.

Little_Miss_1565
08-04-2009, 02:47 PM
My doctor won't help me. I have tried everything and it is not just the autism. I am suicidal now, too. I am completely at a loss and when I started this thread i was hoping for help from someone. My parents can't help me. I just talked to my mom and she says that there is nowhere to get help and she doesn't know how to help me. I am really sorry for what I said. Give me a break. Please help me. I'm desperate.

It sounds like you need professional help, and I find it really hard to believe that your doctor would tell you that he can't help you because by law when someone says those words they have to help. Why can't you get help?

_Lost_
08-04-2009, 08:38 PM
A) If you've told your doctor you want help/you're having sucidal thoughts and such, he's legally obligated to help you or get someone who can. If he doesn't, he should be reported.

B) There is help. There is a hotline for just about everything. Loveline has an extensive list of them:

National "Youth" Crisis Line
(800) 999-9999

American Suicide Survival Line - Nationwide 24/7
(888) SUICIDE (1-888-784-2433)

You could also try this link: http://www.samaritansofboston.org/

That is a service located right there in Boston. I'd go with that one first, because they will know where to go in your area to get help.

C) I'd try really hard to push your mom to believe how serious this has gotten for you and that you would really like a therapist of some form to help you work through some of the issues you are having, including helping you cope with a condition like Asperger's, like helping reduce anxiety in social situations and stuff like that.

EDIT: D) Usually when people say they've tried everything, they typically mean that they've mentioned it (underemphasizing the severity) once or twice to people who weren't very helpful and then gave up. Use your resources. Massachusettes has a lot of colleges and cities with a lot of people. There are lots of resources. You could even visit with the guidance counselor at school, who will be required to help you get help.

Llamas
08-04-2009, 08:41 PM
My doctor won't help me. I have tried everything and it is not just the autism. I am suicidal now, too. I am completely at a loss and when I started this thread i was hoping for help from someone. My parents can't help me. I just talked to my mom and she says that there is nowhere to get help and she doesn't know how to help me. I am really sorry for what I said. Give me a break. Please help me. I'm desperate.

I have autistic kids in classes I teach... that doesn't remotely give me a position to help someone with suicidal thoughts.

Little_Miss_1565
08-05-2009, 07:20 AM
I call Samaritans alot the number was given to me by a school guidance counsiler.

Great. That is a much better place to seek advice than from random people on a band's forum with no training in these things.

XYlophonetreeZ
08-05-2009, 03:30 PM
I have Asperger's Syndrome. I've never been officially diagnosed but I've seen several doctors over the course of my life and they haven't all agreed whether it's Asperger's or severe ADD. After reading a couple of books on Asperger's though, I'm pretty sure it's what I have. From a selfish standpoint, I've gotten help in the form of therapy and medication, but I don't want anything else personally. I have no doubt that my condition has adverse effects on my social life and general happiness, and that it made me a difficult kid for my parents to raise. But the world is a richer place with Asperger's Syndrome around. The thing about Einstein and Newton having had it is true. So yes, I support research in the sense that I want there to be more understanding on how it works and what kinds of medicine can be used to make individuals' lives better who have it. Research is also severely needed to find more about what is causing the increase in children who have severe cases of autism, many of whom can't have normal lives at all. But it is NOT something that needs to be eradicated.

_Lost_
08-06-2009, 12:13 AM
If you already talk to samaritans and your school guidance counselor, than you are headed in a good direction. The real key is to be very upfront and honest with your school counselor. They are a good ear and can help you at least some. If you trust them and tell them the whole truth about what you are feeling, then they will be able to give you the most help you can, whether by talking with you regularly (I had friends in highschool who would see the school counselor on a regular schedule), or by talking to your parents and trying to convince them to get you a licensed psychologist or other more focused help, or they can mobilize other forms of help through the school system and state system. That is your school counselor's job and they are going to be concerned about your personal well being. If a counselor tries to to ignore you, see a different one, even if they aren't your assigned counselor, schools will usually let you request a certain one. Most highschools have several and I had one in particular that I liked of the 4 or 5 we had at my school and usually tried to see him if i could.

As for it being summer, since its towards the end of the summer, counselors are probably already back to work trying to straighten out class schedules and such before school starts back up. Give the school a call and see if there is a possibility that you could see one. This is a pretty busy time of year, but maybe they will be able to accomodate you.

Paint_It_Black
08-10-2009, 05:52 AM
But the world is a richer place with Asperger's Syndrome around.

I've seen this opinion before and wondered when it would be brought up here. The opposition to this view say that only people with very mild cases feel this way. Or the ones who are particularly talented in certain ways that perhaps compensate. I don't have an opinion myself because I don't know anywhere near enough about it. But I find it interesting.

The thing about Einstein and Newton having had it is true.

As far as I was aware that was only speculation, and totally unprovable.

But it is NOT something that needs to be eradicated.

I've seen some successful people with Asperger's go further than that and even say it shouldn't be considered a disability. They say they are merely different, not necessarily worse. But again it seems that only the ones who function well in society feel this way.

And you're still asking me for help after being a dick to me.

Cut her a little slack. She wasn't really a dick to you, she just didn't entirely understand.

T-6005
08-10-2009, 06:20 AM
That is how I am. So in the summer I get very irratable because I don't have a specific routine and during the school year I do. I hate when people do shit like re-model McDonald's and shit. My mom just got the house sided and that made me mad aand now we might move.( I have more than just autism... ADHD ADD OCD ODD Depression possibly Tourettes Syndrome stress and anxiety disorders manic depressive and I have social phobia, Doctors questioned schitzophrenia [i dont know how it is spelled])

Sounds like you have a case of "I'm a teenager and have an overenthusiastic doctor."

Llamas
08-10-2009, 08:01 AM
When I used to work in an entomology lab, most of the lab researchers has some form of autism or aspergers... and these people were incredibly smart. They just had terrible social skills, so they locked themselves away in labs all day doing research :)

I don't really have an opinion on whether or not these things should be eradicated, because I don't know enough about them... but dexternumbers, you have way more severe problems than autism, and your other issues should definitely be the point of concern. Autism is not your main opponent here; check out your list because some of those things are far more debilitating and worse for your everyday life.

_Lost_
08-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Sounds like you have a case of "I'm a teenager and have an overenthusiastic doctor."

This.

First off, which is it? Asperger's or autism? You said asperger's at first and now keep referring to yourself as autistic. As said, there is a very distinct difference and if you were autisic you probably wouldn't be on a chat forum talking this much seeing as the main distinction between autism and asperger's is language disfunction. If an autistic kid can learn to talk at all, ability to maintain or initiate a conversation is severely impaired and often not present at all. Most conversations consist of being asked questions and givng a short response, then being asked another question and giving a short response, then being asked... etc. You see where I am going with this?

Next, you don't talk like a kid with Oppositional Defiant Disorder. If you have asperger's, a doctor shouldn't diagnose you with this since many of the symptoms of ODD are directly caused by this social impairment. And probably frustrated with what real difficulties you do have, your parents may see your behavior as bigger and more problematic than what it really is. At lot of what a doctor would base his diagnosis on would have to be parent testimonials.

What kind of "stress" disorder do you have? I wanna know a specific diagnosis.

Also, there is NO SUCH DIAGNOSIS of manic depression. There is a disorder once called that. If you can tell me what it is I might believe you on that one, but no doctor, psychologist, or psychiatrist should call it that... EVER.

Of course, everything I've just said would require that you have been seeing a responsible doctor, which clearly you haven't if you been given this many diagnosises at such a young age.

XYlophonetreeZ
08-10-2009, 11:41 PM
When I used to work in an entomology lab, most of the lab researchers has some form of autism or aspergers... and these people were incredibly smart. They just had terrible social skills, so they locked themselves away in labs all day doing research :)
I have Asperger's and I work in an evolutionary biology lab. It requires me to communicate with people constantly. I do solitary data collection maybe about 9 hours a week, but apart from that it's rare that I'm not talking to someone. I have to relay all of my data to my coworkers, I have to collaborate with everyone to plan projects, I have to coordinate meeting times with the greenhouse manager all the time, place orders for supplies, and give feedback to grad students every time they give presentations, which results in conflict about 100% of the time. And grad students spend their entire lives arguing with people, so they're fucking good at it. Apparently I at least have enough social skills to have a beer with them at the end of the day, only a few hours after yelling down each other's throats. I'm not saying that my social skills are great (they're not), but if people with Asperger's Syndrome really require jobs without communication, they could do a whole lot better than research.

Llamas
08-10-2009, 11:57 PM
Well in the lab I worked in, all the stuff you just described was communicated through writing things down in a notebook. Nobody wanted to interact with each other. There was a work party once and it was the most awkward thing I'd ever been to; there were only about 3 people there besides myself who seemed socially capable. Some made really awkward conversation or just talked about what bugs they'd seen recently because they didn't know what else to say... but most the others stood off to the sides and didn't really interact. And then a few people showed slideshows of their trips to exotic countries... and just showed close-up pictures of insects. And they barely said anything. "Harmonia ladybeetle." And most of the researchers hardly responded.

I thought this might have been an isolated situation, but I have other friends in research labs who say that 90% of their coworkers have terrible people skills and avoid interacting. One girl told me that most of her coworkers are extremely quick to anger (which reminded me also of my coworkers) for no good reasons just because they get put in a situation where they have to talk to someone but don't have everything planned exactly what they're going to say.

Not to mention most of the professors I had who are some of the top researchers in the nation (many of which have published text books used across the country)... professors who were angry because they were forced to have office hours, and would leave their offices early so they didn't have to meet with students... professors who would refuse to meet with you outside of class... professors who never answered questions in class and just sped through their lecture in order to avoid contact. I used to question how these people had jobs, but then I learned how research universities work.

I also work in the field of teaching science with some burned out former lab people who worked under researchers who were professors... most of these people have told me about the numbers of autism cases they've seen in SO many researchers.

Little_Miss_1565
08-11-2009, 11:16 AM
Has a doctor diagnosed you or are you diagnosing yourself?

Harleyquiiinn
08-11-2009, 12:11 PM
I love autists. Doesn't that handsome 43-year-old guy who hacked all the military comps in the US have Asperger's Syndrome? Boy, that's just so hot. I hear the US wants him extradited, but given the poor state of his health, it is hardly recommended that he should undergo trial elsewhere than in Britain, his own country.

Also, there's this story about two autistic brothers talking nothing but numbers. Their entire conversation consisted of swapping high figures. After years had elapsed, it finally transpired they were... prime numbers.

Sizzling hot, am telling ya.

lol and let's not forget that the only spared character of Cube was the one with autism :D

_Lost_
08-11-2009, 08:47 PM
She means with all of these other illnesses you apparently have. Are you diagnosing yourself as all these things?

wheelchairman
08-19-2009, 07:46 PM
Well Cube and Cube: Zero are good. Hypercube is awful though. Don't know what she's talking about there.

Smash_Returns
08-20-2009, 09:36 PM
I only like the first Cube.

ConspiracyofMegs
08-24-2009, 03:05 PM

Lol, most of those that she mentioned are either widely over-diagnosed or self-diagnosed. Especially ADD and ADHD...

dexter12296566
09-12-2009, 07:14 AM
Can anyone who quoted me in this thread please delete their posts?

wheelchairman
09-12-2009, 07:18 AM
Wait...why are we supporting artists?

dexter12296566
09-12-2009, 07:21 AM
will people please stop posting i am trying to get this thread shut down and totally erased so no one can ever read it again

Llamas
09-12-2009, 07:26 AM
o hay guise.... wats goin on in here?

dexter12296566
09-12-2009, 07:27 AM
i want them to stop posting and i will stop too. so stop posting

The Talking Pie
09-12-2009, 07:36 AM
Someone needs to be bluntly honest with you: ignore this thread and it'll go away.

Stop mentioning autism and/or this thread and people here will just forget all about it. They'll stop bugging you, stop derailing your many threads and all-in-all you'll have a happier time.

In fact, I'm willing to bet that your request for people who have quoted you to remove those quotes will only result in someone quoting everything you've said thus far.

Why not just ask a mod to kill the thread? They've already banned you, I'm sure they'll have no problem deleting your posts.

Llamas
09-12-2009, 07:40 AM
i want them to stop posting and i will stop too. so stop posting
It's pretty selfish of you to try to tell people what to do. This thread had been forgotten until YOU posted again. It had been three weeks since anyone posted in here... it's actually your fault people are posting again.

Why not just ask a mod to kill the thread? They've already banned you, I'm sure they'll have no problem deleting your posts.
I have a feeling she did ask. I don't think the mods will just delete a thread for this kind of reason. But you were right about ignoring the thread... like I said, nobody had posted in here for three weeks til she posted again... I think she honestly wants people to post here and give her the attention.

dexter12296566
09-12-2009, 07:43 AM
Someone needs to be bluntly honest with you: ignore this thread and it'll go away.

Stop mentioning autism and/or this thread and people here will just forget all about it. They'll stop bugging you, stop derailing your many threads and all-in-all you'll have a happier time.

In fact, I'm willing to bet that your request for people who have quoted you to remove those quotes will only result in someone quoting everything you've said thus far.

i deleted my earlier post and i am waiting for tijs to erase it. i already talked to him