PDA

View Full Version : Dexter and "Rain"

brothadave79
07-03-2009, 04:31 PM
As a lyricist, it really seems Dexter likes the imagery of rain as of late. In RAFRAG alone, 4 songs feature it: Half-Truism, A Lot Like Me, Kristy, Fix You.

He's used it before in other songs including: Genocide, Kick Him When He's Down, Lightning Rod, and the Demo for Living in Chaos. Although, never as much as he did on the most recent album. Compared to RAFRAG, its use seems pretty insignificant. Which makes me wonder, why did he have this image so strongly in his mind when writing the lyrics for several of their most recent songs? --When working so much in Hawaii, no less?

randman21
07-03-2009, 04:44 PM
Hehe, I have nothing to add to this discussion right now, but just wanted to give props for the thread. Pretty interesting.

_Lost_
07-03-2009, 04:51 PM
they were going for a deeper, darker kind of vibe on this album. what better way than to use the cliché but beloved reference to rain as a representation of dreariness, sadness, and the like?

brothadave79
07-03-2009, 05:02 PM
Ah, but blood is so much darker and even more of a cliche!

Outerspaceman21
07-03-2009, 06:33 PM
I Don't Know. Never noticed that before. But then again, reference to rain and rain related imagery is used alot in lyric writing. I've been guilty of it from time to time.

come out swinging
07-03-2009, 06:41 PM
When Dexter mentions the rain, he is referring to sad, dark times. When writing lyrics, the artist just feels a certain way when writing. I suppose it just "fits in". Aw i cant stand using the term "fit in" Also RFRG is a dark album.

Grimesy da Offspringfan
07-04-2009, 12:57 AM
Ah, but blood is so much darker and even more of a cliche!

I don't think it's darker, more like...umm...Angrier, and it wouldn't fit in a deep, sad song like Kristy

findout5
07-04-2009, 04:19 AM
The elements have always been great metaphors and can be found throughout any artists career. They evoke feelings like nothing else!
Plain and simple.

zsk
07-04-2009, 06:56 AM
because i'm their fan,and i'm the only person on the whole world that likes rain(sometimes)

Twisted Mind
07-04-2009, 07:29 AM
Well, yeah, the rain might mean alot of things.

I use to write poetry while rainy days, even though the weather is really cold (which i love) i can't help feeling a little down and i start to write anything, not just sad things.

And i use the word "rain" alot too, depending on the context of course, it might be a happy or a sad meaning.

Anka
07-11-2009, 07:01 AM
because i'm their fan,and i'm the only person on the whole world that likes rain(sometimes)

NO WAY. I love rain too, but everyone else I know looks at me as if I was silly because of it...

Lethargicc
07-11-2009, 12:08 PM
Actually, in song writing and movie writing, rain symbolizes rebirth, starting a new. If you think about it, and the way he uses it in the songs, it makes sense.

.D U L C E.
07-11-2009, 02:16 PM
As a lyricist, it really seems Dexter likes the imagery of rain as of late. In RAFRAG alone, 4 songs feature it: Half-Truism, A Lot Like Me, Kristy, Fix You.

He's used it before in other songs including: Genocide, Kick Him When He's Down, Lightning Rod, and the Demo for Living in Chaos. Although, never as much as he did on the most recent album. Compared to RAFRAG, its use seems pretty insignificant. Which makes me wonder, why did he have this image so strongly in his mind when writing the lyrics for several of their most recent songs? --When working so much in Hawaii, no less?

.G o n e A w a y.

Free?
07-11-2009, 02:19 PM
.G o n e A w a y.

Gone Away

Maybe in another life
I could find you there
Pulled away before your time
I can‘t deal it‘s so unfair

And it feels
And it feels like
Heaven‘s so far away