PDA

View Full Version : Meanings of Songs

Annoying
01-21-2005, 05:53 PM
How about a section where people can post their opinions on the meanings of offspring songs. It's always fun to hear other people's ideas on them.

UgLy_eLf
01-21-2005, 06:45 PM
Thanks for posting this twice under two different names, theres this song I wrote earlier it's called "You're an idiot," what do you think it MEANS?

felix_leiter
01-23-2005, 03:38 PM
Excuse me?

Maria
01-24-2005, 12:27 PM
Thanks for posting this twice under two different names, theres this song I wrote earlier it's called "You're an idiot," what do you think it MEANS?

I think i know... i think that song is reffering to the one who wrote it!
Am i right??

UgLy_eLf
01-24-2005, 06:55 PM
Nah it refers to morons that can't interpret sentences, you know, people like hmm, you? Wow.

Trip Boy
01-25-2005, 02:18 AM
^ It's really hard to take you seriously when you can't determine what sex you are from your picture.

rogerio
01-25-2005, 07:54 AM
I'ts a good idea to talk about the Offspring songs. Indeed, what do you think about Kill the president. it's an actual representation of the US president Mr. Bush.

Maria
01-25-2005, 11:56 AM
I'ts a good idea to talk about the Offspring songs. Indeed, what do you think about Kill the president. it's an actual representation of the US president Mr. Bush.

But is't written long before he became a president.

rogerio
01-26-2005, 04:24 PM
But is't written long before he became a president.
He was talking about the Bush Dad in the gulf war against Iraq!

JohnnyNemesis
01-26-2005, 07:39 PM
^If you listen to or read the lyrics, you'll notice that he isn't talking about one particular President. He was talking about the idea of having a President.

Skate Rat 19
01-26-2005, 08:04 PM
Weather or not the song is about Bush we al know he is a douche bag and must be taken out of office and replaced with me! I actually did run for president at a voting center but the police threatened to arrest me if my vice president and i didn't advritise 100 yards away from the voting center! lol

UgLy_eLf
01-26-2005, 09:35 PM
You people DO know that Bush is not the only problem? He's just a fucking puppet, easily blamed, you need to focus on his administration and congress if you want to really blame someone for war, labor, and whatever else you people seem to think is wrong with this country.

rogerio
01-27-2005, 06:50 AM
^If you listen to or read the lyrics, you'll notice that he isn't talking about one particular President. He was talking about the idea of having a President.
I don't agree! He was talking about a president who start wars and want to make the world yours.

JohnnyNemesis
01-27-2005, 07:31 AM
Nope. All of his questions were rhetorical, NOT specific. Bush Sr. AND Bush Jr. aren't the only presidents or world leaders who start wars.

Maria
01-27-2005, 03:38 PM
I guess in that song the basic idea of punk is coming out - the rebel against any leadership.

rogerio
01-27-2005, 03:53 PM
Nope. All of his questions were rhetorical, NOT specific. Bush Sr. AND Bush Jr. aren't the only presidents or world leaders who start wars.
The meaning of the music, literature and others are from the social questions. What I would to say is: When was the Gulf War? When the Offspring album has come? It's the same thing happened in the time of Vietnam.

JohnnyNemesis
01-27-2005, 03:55 PM
That is a very good point, I'll admit. But I still disagree. Attention must be paid to the tone and style of the song and lyrics, and it seems clear to me that, although Bush Sr. may have been included and important, the song is more general than anything.

rogerio
01-27-2005, 04:00 PM
That is a very good point, I'll admit. But I still disagree. Attention must be paid to the tone and style of the song and lyrics, and it seems clear to me that, although Bush Sr. may have been included and important, the song is more general than anything.
Yes that is it. After a text or song be written gain expression beyond the think of the author and pass to the interpretation of the readers, or in this case "listeners".

You_Feel_Like_A_Lie
01-28-2005, 10:20 AM
I guess in that song the basic idea of punk is coming out - the rebel against any leadership.

Yes Maria, I think you're right about what you said, that the basic idea of punk is coming out in the song, but I don't think it's rebeling against any leadership. It's more like rebeling against controling dogmatic leadership in which people are not allowed to think and act against. If you want you might want to check this essay out written by Greg Graffin (Bad Religion) where he does his own synopsis of punk. It's really well written, I suggest everyone read it.

http://www.badreligion.com/news/essays.php?id=5

Moose
01-28-2005, 12:06 PM
i think if you asked decter today about the view on the song i think he would say he was a lot younger back then, but he still believes in some of it, but not to the full anarchy extent.

rogerio
01-28-2005, 05:20 PM
The punk is a rebel who hates everything. The world ain't right to him. That's all!

Trip Boy
01-28-2005, 07:04 PM
The punk is a rebel who hates everything. The world ain't right to him. That's all!

Revolver-2005?
01-28-2005, 07:19 PM
yay for copy and paste!

Trip Boy
01-30-2005, 08:48 PM
yay for copy and paste!