PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for album 9

IamSam
07-11-2009, 12:03 AM
With the news that the band are going to be hitting up the studio next year and are revisiting some of their older material, what would you like to hear in the new album? What small things would you like to see the band implement?

It's unknown if the band will actually read this or if they read our last thread, although a suggested time signature (by llamas and/or Thomas?) was used in RAFRAG. This thread is just for brainstorming and fun! I can already guess that 'Pass Me By' will appear 5,293 times though...

1. Start a song with bass only. Every song starts fantastically in RAFRAG by either guitar, piano, or drum. But Greg K. is never given a chance to have a catchy bass line start up a song.

2. Have a lyric/vocal line at the start of a song that doesn't match the normal verse or chorus line. (Think blink-182's 'Online Songs' but of course more Offspring.)

3. Bring back a song with 'woahs'! That's just the fanboy in me coming out...

Anyone else have good suggestions?

Ryder1234
07-11-2009, 12:11 AM
I'd wanna see a song with maybe like, a vocal part for a different member besides Dexter, or like a duet kinda thing (Like RHCP's "Knock Me Down" - Anthony and John sang at the same time.) It seems like Noodles has a strong singing voice, and it'd be cool to just hear something from Greg, haha.

More input from the other members. I have a feeling that Pete will bring something new to the table, and have input to how the drums will sound. D.U.I. was good, so maybe even a song written completely by another member?

I like the Idea of starting a song on bass. I'd be in favor of that. I'd also be in favor of a complete bass solo (not like in Trust In You and Hammerhead where all it was was the bass by itself, but an actual improvised solo)

Outerspaceman21
07-11-2009, 12:52 AM
As long as they make it catchy shit, I'll love it.

The bass idea is a good one, though, and yes, we need more whoas.

Ryder1234
07-11-2009, 12:58 AM
WWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2j7BggA8Dw)

randman21
07-11-2009, 01:10 AM
although a suggested time signature (by llamas and/or Thomas?) was used in RAFRAG.
Note that I feel totally lame pointing this out, but that was me! But they did come and correct me on the time signature that I actually meant, and that was eventually used on the album.

I can't really think of anything. I was so caught off guard/pleased with their progress on the last album that I've concluded that just about anything they do will be great.

Thomas
07-11-2009, 01:13 AM
I know it's way out of character for them, but I think it would be kinda cool if they go into a little funk breakdown during the bridge of one of their songs. I'm kinda curious of how it would turn out, and I get the feeling the way they would pull it off would be really cool.

IamSam
07-11-2009, 01:19 AM
Note that I feel totally lame pointing this out, but that was me! But they did come and correct me on the time signature that I actually meant, and that was eventually used on the album.

Oh man! I'm sorry Randy! I messed that one up!

Budzy
07-11-2009, 02:19 AM
Okay, here's my two cents worth:

-Well I'll make the first of the 5,293 mentions and say I really hope Pass Me By is on their, I'm so curious to how the whole song would sound.

-I would most prefer it if they ditched the piano experiments too, it doesn't suit them. Sure they made it sound alright, but it just not their thing.

-I would love to see another No Brakes/All Along track on the next album, where it's just a speedy explosive and short song, with a fast tempo throughout the whole song.

-I agree with the first post, I'd love to hear more 'woahs' seeing how that IS there trademark.

-Simple lyrics with plenty of attitude. Like Bad Habit, or All I want. A bit less of this 'slings and arrows that rain on your mind' stuff. Don't get me wrong, I love Half-Truism though, but just bring it back down to earth a bit.

-Don't ever make another song like Fix You. Please. It's The Offspring, not Coldplay or Snow Patrol.

I'll probably think of more later but that's it for now.

EDIT: Oh yeah and a fucking plastic CD case with the new album!

The Search Button
07-11-2009, 03:04 AM
My point will be:

Bring back ta' fun!!! Make a joke song!

I don't really care if is fast paced like Beheaded.

I don't really care if is senseless like Original Prankster.

I don't really care if is ska-ish like Don't Pick it Up.

Just, please, bring back the fun!!!

KyleW
07-11-2009, 03:59 AM
I think Ill be the second person to suggest pass me by. i think the anticipation is just getting too much now.

I also think they shold bring back the intros. RAFRAG went straight into helf-truism but I always liked the intros.

I agreee with The Search Button that they should have anoher joke song as long as it isnt another when you're in prison.

And on a side note. More Offspring in the videos!

Hombre
07-11-2009, 04:49 AM
1. Start a song with bass only. Every song starts fantastically in RAFRAG by either guitar, piano, or drum. But Greg K. is never given a chance to have a catchy bass line start up a song.

Special Delivery doesn't count?

ThunderPX
07-11-2009, 04:56 AM

Well, it technically started with a drum machine... :P

dff_punk
07-11-2009, 05:04 AM

I think he meant that particularly in RAFRAG no song starts with bass, not in all albums.

And what I want is a long-ass guitar solo by Noodles for the chord progression Ami F C G :D

holland25
07-11-2009, 05:08 AM
Long-ass? Progressive metal? 16 and a half minutes?

dff_punk
07-11-2009, 05:11 AM
0:36, for example, would suffice, in Offsprings case :p

Grimesy da Offspringfan
07-11-2009, 06:03 AM
I'd wanna see a song with maybe like, a vocal part for a different member besides Dexter, or like a duet kinda thing (Like RHCP's "Knock Me Down" - Anthony and John sang at the same time.) It seems like Noodles has a strong singing voice, and it'd be cool to just hear something from Greg, haha.

More input from the other members. I have a feeling that Pete will bring something new to the table, and have input to how the drums will sound. D.U.I. was good, so maybe even a song written completely by another member?

I like the Idea of starting a song on bass. I'd be in favor of that. I'd also be in favor of a complete bass solo (not like in Trust In You and Hammerhead where all it was was the bass by itself, but an actual improvised solo)

That's exactly what i'd like to hear. Noodles is probably the best backing vocalist ever. Oh, and more eastern kinda songs, like COAP or Pay The Man, or Baghdad, or pretty much the whole s/t

Tomasisko
07-11-2009, 07:01 AM
My wish??? Stop experimenting :) I mean something like those electronic sounds in Hit That or even slow songs... Just do some great punk shit. Another Ixnay? :cool:

Jojan
07-11-2009, 07:01 AM
STFU!

Leave the ideas to the professionals¹!.
¹ The band.

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
07-11-2009, 07:23 AM
dont diss fix you or a lot like me(a lot like me is my third favorite)
the bass intro IS a good idea

more catchy palm muting. for example:one fine day, trust in you, feelings, no brakes

one more song with a bad ass solo like i choose or feelings

a second part to "have you ever", considering that nothingtown is like a second part to want you bad

more rock n rollish songs/solos(the band did an awesome job on the nothingtown solo)

another pay the man(it doesn't have to sound middle eastern)

more funny songs like da hui

something fast like mota

ooooooooh, experiment with ska again

T_immortal
07-11-2009, 12:12 PM
STFU!

Leave the ideas to the professionals¹!.
¹ The band.

Out of all the posts in this thread, yours once again manages to be the most pointless, just shut up will you?

More on topic, for the next album I'd really like to see a few more fast tracks, RAFRAG only had one that was fast all the way through. Couple more pulse-pounders wouldn't hurt ;)

findout5
07-11-2009, 12:16 PM
I want 2 albums instead of one :D
One being the most hardcore fuckin punk rock ever that they do, and the other being their masterpiece. I don't really care which comes out first.
So my idea is make album 9 and 10!

Ryder1234
07-11-2009, 12:27 PM
Ooohh! I have another idea after what findout5 just said.

Make a double album. They always seem to make so many demos, then cut the ones that don't fit the mood of the album. Well, do that, then gather all the cut demos that have a similar mood, and make another disc with a different mood. Release it as a double album.

Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace would actually have been a fitting name for something like this, since it's got two different names in it (RAF, and RAG), haha. Although I guess the next album wouldn't really fit that name, depending on mood.

Thomas
07-11-2009, 12:40 PM
a second part to "have you ever", considering that nothingtown is like a second part to want you bad

THis brought me a giant "WTF?" Have You Ever's second part is Staring at the Sun, and why on Earth is Nothingtown a second part to Want You Bad?

IamSam
07-11-2009, 12:42 PM
I really fucking enjoyed "Denial, Revisited" and "Special Delivery", for what they were. I don't know, I guess I'd just like to see something more down that path for the non-California-punk style songs, rather than just more ripping off Green Day.

The "duet" idea is also fucking gold, that has potential. Throw some other Southern California icon in there, maybe someone the band is friends with, or linked to somehow, even just geographically. Mike Ness or even fucking Gwen Stefani for something different, however unrealistic that may be. First random ideas coming to mind.

I really agree with the first one. And some guest vocals would be quite awesome as well.

I'm not a fan of a double album or two albums. I want them to work on the album like they did this time. Work hard and get it right, don't be slackers and throw a bunch of crap out there like RHCP's did with their last effort.

IamSam
07-11-2009, 12:44 PM
THis brought me a giant "WTF?" Have You Ever's second part is Staring at the Sun, and why on Earth is Nothingtown a second part to Want You Bad?

I remember back in the day someone was saying something about supposed melody lines or something matching up in Nothingtown and Want You Bad.

Which bares the question, who the fuck was Allin All It's Not So Bad back in the day?

Thomas
07-11-2009, 12:57 PM
...the songs aren't even in the same time signature or tempo....

nieh
07-11-2009, 01:00 PM
Write a full album's worth of Pay the Mans. Except all good and inspired sounding Pay the Mans, not like how when they occasionally have songs where it basically feels like they said "hey, let's do another Dirty Magic" and it never sounds as good or effective as the original.

findout5
07-11-2009, 01:23 PM
An arabic vibe song would be nice (middle-esaterna as they say it). I missed one on this record!

Also Want You Bad and Nothingtown are both in E major...And musically it shows I guess. I call that one (E+) the "Green Day key"...

SelfEsteem94
07-11-2009, 01:30 PM
i dont want the album to be so serious,
i like their funny and sarcastic songs best.
their serious stuff just isnt very Offspring-like.

i was gonna say Offspring-ish, but i knew "guitar picks with offspring-ish artwork" would probably start up, though i do love the joke
xD

07-11-2009, 02:09 PM

i implied nothingtown was the second part because they sounded familiar, except slower.
so far, there hasn't been a song sounding very familiar to have you ever

holland25
07-11-2009, 03:34 PM
My wish??? Stop experimenting :) I mean something like those electronic sounds in Hit That or even slow songs

Just stopped by to say that I love Fix You.

Jojan
07-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Out of all the posts in this thread, yours once again manages to be the most pointless, just shut up will you?

No, I will not.

jacknife737
07-11-2009, 04:25 PM
I hope that Pass Me By isn't on the new album (it won't be anyways), their slower, more "metal" style songs are amongst my least favorite (glares at Race Against Myself).

I'd like to see....

More use of the acoustic guitar, especially in a more 'fast paced' song.

A continuation of some of the experimentation from RAFRAG (ie You're Gonna Go Far, Kid and Half-Truism).

A slight step back into ska-punk, perhaps even with a horn section for one song (more along the lines of What Happened To You, than Worst Hangover Ever).

A few of the "harder" sounding songs, similar to the stuff they touched on with RAFRAG (Stuff Is Messed Up, Hammerhead).

RageAndLov
07-11-2009, 04:36 PM
I would like the new album to have:
- One hardcore punk song like Da Hui
- Some joke track(s)
- Lots of heavy stuff like Lightning Rod, The Noose, Hammerhead, Half-Trusim, Never Gonna Find Me
- No slow songs!
- Perhaps one song from a completely different genre than what they usually do
- pass me by
- last but not least GANG VOCALS!!

RyanSabotage
07-11-2009, 08:53 PM
more songs like da hui

Llamas
07-11-2009, 09:07 PM
2. Have a lyric/vocal line at the start of a song that doesn't match the normal verse or chorus line. (Think blink-182's 'Online Songs' but of course more Offspring.)
Worst Hangover Ever?? :D

Long-ass? Progressive metal? 16 and a half minutes?
Ugh, that would end up being terrible from a pop punk band... no more Jesus of Suburbia and Homecoming :(

I wanna hear more dark piano songs like A Lot Like Me...

No more Dexter trying to sing an octave lower like in Fix You and Kristy... his voice sounds better when he "yells".

Keep experimenting! I love the experimental stuff!

The other band members write songs... maybe even sing.

Noodles to pump out some self titled-style solos ;)

Human
07-11-2009, 10:06 PM
I love how all of their albums have a different sound to them, to where you can tell the difference between them unlike a lot of other bands where all of their music is pretty much the same.

I think it would be cool if they did something a bit like their earlier stuff-Smash,Ignition, Self titled. I also noticed Rafrag didn't have an intro. I like that format they had with an intro and then a super long track at the end.

MoonTan™
07-11-2009, 10:13 PM
Here are some of my ideas

1. I think for once they should do somthing technical with the drums, pete is a good drummer and i wouldnt mind hearing some double kick here and there, but not bmth deathcore drumming shit, but punk double kick or whatever..

2. More harmonising guitarparts, and if possible, guitar solos.. but good ones, like Self titled/Igniton :D.

3. Pass me by, nuff said.

4. More Whoaass!

5. They shouldnt over produce it like RAFRAG or Splinter, Somthing like an Americana/Smash sound? but not too trashy, ha :)

MoonTan™
07-11-2009, 10:39 PM
If the Bobby-Wok-Meister is producing again, you can expect the same type of very clean arena-rock sound as RAFRAG. All of his stuff has a signature "feel".

But he's not really that different in sound to Jerden, really. A little more perfectionist. But maybe less artificial than O'Brien.

Which albums were produced by who?

I know bob rock produced RAFRAG, but thats it.

MoonTan™
07-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Thom Wilson did S/T, Ignition, and Smash. Kind of a low-fi very basic punk-rock producer.

Dave Jerden took over when they moved to Columbia. Ixnay & Americana. Kind of that big-budget major label guy, but still packing some serious crunchy rock sound.

Brendan O'Brien was Co1 and Splinter. Wayyy too "digitally perfect" for my taste.

Bob Rock's kind of somewhere between the last two. He definitely knows how to make something sound "professional". Just kind of think he works better with the big crunchy Metallica-esque songs, rather than with pop-punk stuff.

Ok thanks man. Yeah i dont like Brendan's Style of Producing, Dave Jerden was the best at Guitar mixing, Americana and Ixnay have Beautiful Sounding Guitars, although Brendan's drum sound was my favourite.

Anyway back on topic :) ...

SMASHedTHEignition
07-12-2009, 03:50 AM
well i wasnt planin on loggin in but this thread is awesome:D

1-PASS ME BY!!!

2-Make it a really punk album like self titled,

3-more whoas

4-Noodles has to write another song

5-have atleast 1 grunge type song on there

6-lots of tracks(mayb a 2 disk album?)

Tomasisko
07-12-2009, 04:14 AM
I would like the new album to have:
- One hardcore punk song like Da Hui
- Some joke track(s)
- Lots of heavy stuff like Lightning Rod, The Noose, Hammerhead, Half-Trusim, Never Gonna Find Me
- No slow songs!
- Perhaps one song from a completely different genre than what they usually do
- pass me by
- last but not least GANG VOCALS!!

totally agree here. It's interesting that almost everybody miss funny songs. Me either. But only one is not enough :p

and gang vocals??? I fuckin' love it!

Hombre
07-12-2009, 08:35 AM
And what I want is a long-ass guitar solo by Noodles for the chord progression Ami F C G :D

This progression always works!Just switch frets and new song has done!:D

Hombre
07-12-2009, 08:49 AM
Thom Wilson did S/T, Ignition, and Smash. Kind of a low-fi very basic punk-rock producer.

Dave Jerden took over when they moved to Columbia. Ixnay & Americana. Kind of that big-budget major label guy, but still packing some serious crunchy rock sound.

Brendan O'Brien was Co1 and Splinter. Wayyy too "digitally perfect" for my taste.

Bob Rock's kind of somewhere between the last two. He definitely knows how to make something sound "professional". Just kind of think he works better with the big crunchy Metallica-esque songs, rather than with pop-punk stuff.

I don't like sound of ride cymbal in Ixnay On The Hombre-not very loud.
I also don't like the way Pete plays on ride cymbal-he beat too much,for example in The Kids Aren't Alright he doesn't make "bell" sound like Ron did.

My wishes:
More hard songs like Lightning Rod, The Noose ,Race Against Myself ,Genocide ,The Meaning Of Life.
Ska song.
More songs:)

Llamas
07-12-2009, 10:35 AM
I for one don't want more funny/joke songs. I like some of their older ones (beheaded, burn it up), but I don't want any more of them. RFRG was the first album without any, and it's my favorite album. Joke songs are fun at first, but they get old fast.

Oh, and if there's ANYTHING I don't want, it's cover songs. The Offspring can cover all the songs they want, but I don't like when they put the songs on albums. I always skip Feelings and Killboy Powerhead...

Rag Doll
07-12-2009, 10:53 AM
I'd like to see....

More use of the acoustic guitar, especially in a more 'fast paced' song.

A continuation of some of the experimentation from RAFRAG (ie You're Gonna Go Far, Kid and Half-Truism).

A slight step back into ska-punk, perhaps even with a horn section for one song (more along the lines of What Happened To You, than Worst Hangover Ever).

A few of the "harder" sounding songs, similar to the stuff they touched on with RAFRAG (Stuff Is Messed Up, Hammerhead).

yes yes yes. i agree with all of this.

holland25
07-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Oh, and if there's ANYTHING I don't want, it's cover songs. The Offspring can cover all the songs they want, but I don't like when they put the songs on albums. I always skip Feelings and Killboy Powerhead...

Irony is that Didjits officially consider their version of Killboy Powerhead to be an Offspring cover. At least Rick says that everytime on stage :D

KyleW
07-12-2009, 11:08 AM
I always skip Feelings and Killboy Powerhead...

Holyshit WTF WTF?! Cover? :eek::confused::eek:

Llamas
07-12-2009, 11:24 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Didjits

"Their song "Killboy Powerhead" was covered by The Offspring (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Offspring) on their breakthrough 1994 album Smash (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smash_%28album%29)."

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:wifixqe5ld6e~T1 (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:wifixqe5ld6e%7ET1)

"Now with a slowly growing cult audience, the Didjits returned in 1989 with the one-off single "Lovesicle," then completed their next album, Hornet Pinata (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:gifuxqr5ldde), in 1990. Its key track, "Killboy Powerhead," a moderate success on college radio, was later covered by Didjits enthusiasts the Offspring (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:3pfqxqt5ldfe)."

Holland, they probably just say that because the Offspring was so much more famous... as a joke.

holland25
07-12-2009, 11:53 AM
Holland, they probably just say that because the Offspring was so much more famous... as a joke.

Yes, I know that ;) I just mentioned that... Anyway, I love Didjits, I've got their whole discography although it's almost impossible to find.

SelfEsteem94
07-12-2009, 01:36 PM
more songs like Da Hui and possibly some more ska tracks,
because when they play ska, it seems like theyre having a great time.

IamSam
07-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Why do people like Da Hui? Do people just like it because it's fast and uses "fuck" a lot?

holland25
07-12-2009, 02:01 PM
I don't like it.

Llamas
07-12-2009, 02:16 PM
I don't like it. I turn Splinter off after Lightning Rod.

Zee
07-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Sound politically, a little clearer sounds. Not as dark, and drums definitely louder.

Americana is perfect by its sounds, there's the truely famous Offspring guitar sound as Higgins advertised. :p

PunksKillEmos
07-12-2009, 04:01 PM
Ummm ditch Bob Rock, But I think I can spare him a second chance, and a more collective album with your typical offspringy stuff with joke songs tossed in here and there

PacemakerGuy
07-12-2009, 04:46 PM
try to match up with Smash and the new album!
idc how it is i just can't wait for it and the tour!

RageAndLov
07-12-2009, 05:14 PM
Why do people like Da Hui? Do people just like it because it's fast and uses "fuck" a lot?

No, because it is a great song which is very catchy, has a lot of energy, and is the most punky stuff they've done since Smash.

SelfEsteem94
07-12-2009, 05:32 PM
No, because it is a great song which is very catchy, has a lot of energy, and is the most punky stuff they've done since Smash.
exactly,
the fast paced, punk rock Offspring i love.

dff_punk
07-12-2009, 06:24 PM

This is a very good idea which I completely agree with.

No more Dexter trying to sing an octave lower like in Fix You and Kristy... his voice sounds better when he "yells".

Yeah, I agree, but keep in mind that Dexter is getting older all the time.. maybe the yelling does not suit him that much anymore. Although I would love it.

hshduppsnt
07-12-2009, 06:41 PM
simple - more awesomeness :)

I'll leave it to them to figure out how :D

Alex101
07-12-2009, 06:51 PM
I'm hoping the band will return to the same style on Smash on their next album, but I doubt that's going to happen.

randman21
07-12-2009, 06:53 PM

Ehhhh, the fucks don't really make or break the song for me, but the speed is a major factor. The guitar riff is fucking awesome and fun to play, there's tons of energy and it's a very short song. All Along and Leave it Behind are near the top of my favorites for these very reasons.

You mean A Lot Like Me? Kristy is out of my comfortable upper range almost the entire song, while ALLM features his lowest singing yet. I like the whole octave lower thing, by the way. :D

KHWHD
07-12-2009, 07:13 PM
simple - more awesomeness :)

I didn't think that was even possible?! :D :eek:

SMASHedTHEignition
07-12-2009, 07:19 PM
lol..

2disk album!! :D

wanna c pass me by and more songs that sound as if theyd b off ignition, smash s/t..

another song like something to believe in and re-record hopeless??

hshduppsnt
07-12-2009, 07:20 PM
I didn't think that was even possible?! :D :eek:

haha, I'm not sure it is, which is why I'm leaving it up to them to show me :D

I guess you make a fair point, I'll settle for equal levels of awesomeness and just hope for more

SMASHedTHEignition
07-12-2009, 07:25 PM
same, as long as they release one next year im happy..but, il b orgasmic if pass me by is on there!!

Llamas
07-12-2009, 08:12 PM
A lot of people are saying they want this next album to sound like Smash or even earlier. I'll be the first to say that, if that happens, I probably won't buy it. I still really like those three albums - Ignition is a very good album especially - but I think it would sound terrible if they tried to write an album like that again. They're not the same immature guys they were then, but are now middle aged and write much more introspective music. I absolutely LOVE the direction RFRG took, and if they continue in the direction that Splinter and RFRG pointed them toward, I'll be stoked; if they devolve, I'll be so disappointed.

Meaning of Life, All I Want, I Choose, Leave It Behind, Have You Ever, No Brakes, Come Out Swinging, All Along, Conspiracy of One, The Noose, Never Gonna Find Me, Takes Me Nowhere, Trust In You, and Nothingtown are ALL fast, upbeat punky songs that are just so much better written and executed than Da Hui. If I want fast punky songs, I'd pick any of those over Da Hui. Less repetitive and boring, better lyrics, and better song writing.

You mean A Lot Like Me? Kristy is out of my comfortable upper range almost the entire song, while ALLM features his lowest singing yet. I like the whole octave lower thing, by the way. :D

Maybe range isn't what I care about, then. I love his singing in A Lot Like Me, and HATE it in Kristy. He sounds sooooo whiny (omg new found glory? tom delonge?) in Kristy and Fix You, and I can't stand it. Whatever he did in those two songs he shouldn't do again :P

SMASHedTHEignition
07-12-2009, 10:24 PM
A lot of people are saying they want this next album to sound like Smash or even earlier. I'll be the first to say that, if that happens, I probably won't buy it. I still really like those three albums - Ignition is a very good album especially - but I think it would sound terrible if they tried to write an album like that again. They're not the same immature guys they were then, but are now middle aged and write much more introspective music. I absolutely LOVE the direction RFRG took, and if they continue in the direction that Splinter and RFRG pointed them toward, I'll be stoked; if they devolve, I'll be so disappointed.

Meaning of Life, All I Want, I Choose, Leave It Behind, Have You Ever, No Brakes, Come Out Swinging, All Along, Conspiracy of One, The Noose, Never Gonna Find Me, Takes Me Nowhere, Trust In You, and Nothingtown are ALL fast, upbeat punky songs that are just so much better written and executed than Da Hui. If I want fast punky songs, I'd pick any of those over Da Hui. Less repetitive and boring, better lyrics, and better song writing.

Maybe range isn't what I care about, then. I love his singing in A Lot Like Me, and HATE it in Kristy. He sounds sooooo whiny (omg new found glory? tom delonge?) in Kristy and Fix You, and I can't stand it. Whatever he did in those two songs he shouldn't do again :P

i know what your saying about back-tracking..

self titled was underground punk
ignition was kinda ska punk rock
smash was ska punk rock with grungey elements
ixnay was punk rock
americana was pop punk
co1 was skate punk
splinter was alternative rock
rf/rg was alternative punk

^^^you see how its evolved, you want them to keep going and see what type of element wil b added to there musik next..
i agree but, itd be interesting to hear them try and pull of a song that youd hear on st,ignition,smash..but then againj they kinda did do it wit rf/rg i mean trust in you is exactly the same a the song smash and if takes me nowhere wasnt so well put together it could hav been on ignition

IamSam
07-12-2009, 10:47 PM
What the fuck is skate punk, ska punk, underground punk, and alternative punk?

Can't you just throw the band under the 'alternative' title and it's broad scope of bands?

Besides of which, we are getting off topic! Back on people!

I listened to Americana (the album) for the first time today in a long time. I would like to see them revisit a couple of elements that I heard in that album, mainly on drums:

1. Make use of the ride cymbal.
2. And make use of the bass drum on the off beats.

Thomas can probably say the second one better than I could ever try.

SMASHedTHEignition
07-12-2009, 11:11 PM
What the fuck is skate punk, ska punk, underground punk, and alternative punk?

Can't you just throw the band under the 'alternative' title and it's broad scope of bands?

Besides of which, we are getting off topic! Back on people!

I listened to Americana (the album) for the first time today in a long time. I would like to see them revisit a couple of elements that I heard in that album, mainly on drums:

LOL

..haha soz..ok..back on topic:

Thomas
07-12-2009, 11:50 PM

Synchopation?

Gringa Bandita
07-13-2009, 01:07 AM
Some more "middle eastern" melodies...like in Me & My Old Lady, Come Out And Play, Tehran, etc.

Dexter_italy
07-13-2009, 01:59 AM
i know what your saying about back-tracking..

ixnay was punk rock
americana was pop punk
co1 was skate punk

^^^you see how its evolved, you want them to keep going and see what type of element wil b added to there musik next..
i agree but, itd be interesting to hear them try and pull of a song that youd hear on st,ignition,smash..but then againj they kinda did do it wit rf/rg i mean trust in you is exactly the same a the song smash and if takes me nowhere wasnt so well put together it could hav been on ignition

I don't hear a single ska note in ignition.... too divisions man...it's just the Offspring every single album, every single song!

SMASHedTHEignition
07-13-2009, 02:32 AM
take it like a man has ska notes..well not literally but i just call all that middle eastern sorta foreign stuff ska, dunno y

but yeh

Tomasisko
07-13-2009, 04:44 AM
ixnay was punk rock
americana was pop punk
co1 was skate punk

wrong wrong wrong

dff_punk
07-13-2009, 05:11 AM
By that logic, the next album is gonna be alternative ska with grungey elements?

IamSam
07-13-2009, 06:12 AM
Synchopation?

Yes! I knew I could count on you!

SMASHedTHEignition
07-13-2009, 07:24 AM
By that logic, the next album is gonna be alternative ska with grungey elements?

ok..so admitadly i was rong..
but i was only speaking in general..
ever since i first bought ignition it always gave me this vibe tht i thought was ska, probli cos of take it like a man..all that foreign crap is what i thought ska was..

anyways than, what th fuk IS ska??

:)

chriiis
07-13-2009, 09:38 AM
Ska??, so.. where are wind instruments?

dff_punk
07-13-2009, 09:41 AM
Smashed the ignition, you don't know what is ska? Like, seriously???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ska
The Offspring songs in ska style are What Happened To You, Don't Pick It Up, and in a slower vibe, The Worst Hangover Ever.

chriiis
07-13-2009, 09:42 AM

The Offspring songs in ska style are What Happened To You, Don't Pick It Up, and in a slower vibe, The Worst Hangover Ever.

not just one song makes up the entire album

SMASHedTHEignition
07-13-2009, 09:44 AM

haha..i red it on wiki ages ago but than after reading this forum, i no im wrong..:D

just so ino for future reference, Ska is?

SMASHedTHEignition
07-13-2009, 09:50 AM
ok ok..

i alwways thought it was like middle eastern music..

sorry guys :O

07-13-2009, 05:56 PM
what if the band applied Seinfeld's theme into the next album

An album full of songs about nothing. I mean, Seinfeld was a great show so maybe that will make the offspring's new album kick ass

IamSam
07-14-2009, 06:39 AM
Ok, have we gotten this word vomit of ska out of our systems?

There were a couple of things off of Conspiracy of One that I thought were absolutely fantastic that they have never revisited and that is the amazingness of Living in Chaos and Special Delivery. While those songs aren't your normal "OMGZ!!HardCorE PUnX FaSt MOvInG" that everyone thinks are absolutely amazing, they are hard rockers nonetheless. I would like to hear something similar again.