PDA

View Full Version : Starland Ballroom NJ!

PacemakerGuy
07-12-2009, 03:45 PM
great show so fun i loved it
just sad sum 41 like bailed on it but oh well you guys were amazing
best concert ever been too and got the shirt of the album cover!

can't wait for the next tour

RyanSabotage
07-12-2009, 03:54 PM
same!
cant wait till the next tour

MeanBob
07-12-2009, 10:46 PM
They should really come to NJ more. First concert I"ve been to in my life and it was great.

Guys, come back for us please! :D

keb4588
07-12-2009, 11:59 PM
Awesome show. I lost a good friend of mine earlier in the year and fully expected to get a little teary eyed if they played gone away. but when dexter came out with the piano... it was even harder to hold it all back. The rest of the show was fuckin fantastic, too, though I really got pissed at people heckling Frank Turner. He's a great musician and unfortunately he didn'y get the respect he deserved from that crowd.

gabbag
07-13-2009, 09:51 AM
just sad sum 41 like bailed on it but oh well you guys were amazing
best concert ever been too and got the shirt of the album cover!

can't wait for the next tour

Sum 41 was never supposed to come to Starland

and it was an amazing show and I had so much fun and I also felt bad for Frank Turner with everyone booing him and such.

Phil594
07-13-2009, 10:11 AM
I passed out while Frank Turner was playing. He played too long.. :mad:

RyanSabotage
07-13-2009, 11:51 AM
yeah, frank was unnessary
other than the Linoleum NoFX cover, i couldnt stand him
i mean come on, the guy had a creepy dude come out and do a harmonica solo..
he had to be a joke or a prop to offsprings set..

Phil594
07-13-2009, 01:34 PM
Usa!usa!usa!

MeanBob
07-13-2009, 02:02 PM
I also felt bad for Frank Turner with everyone booing him and such.

Yeah me too. Me and my friend actually liked him. It was kinda weird too because my friend was actually defending him; he'd say like "Stop it" to some kids that were behind us

Rag Doll
07-13-2009, 02:47 PM
i was pretty disgusted in how people were acting towards Frank Turner. i said some stuff to the guys standing behind me, but tried to keep my mouth shut because i didn't want them to start a fight with my boyfriend or anything. but jesus christ, i've never encountered so many total douchebags. at least the nyc show treated him well.

Americana98
07-13-2009, 07:37 PM
Sum 41 was never supposed to come to Starland

and it was an amazing show and I had so much fun and I also felt bad for Frank Turner with everyone booing him and such.

This site said Sum 41 was scheduled to come to Starland and had it up there until like the week before the concert. Their name was then suddenly removed and that ska band that played was never put on the Offspring's website under the Sayerville show so it's pretty likely that Sum 41 indeed bailed at the last minute, which sucks.

gabbag
07-13-2009, 07:40 PM
I dont remember seeing that on this site, and also it was never on Starland's website or anywhere else if it even was on this site that they were supposed to be their...I dont know, I wanted to see them but knew they werent going to be there but still loved the show

jacknife737
07-13-2009, 08:31 PM
i was pretty disgusted in how people were acting towards Frank Turner. i said some stuff to the guys standing behind me, but tried to keep my mouth shut because i didn't want them to start a fight with my boyfriend or anything. but jesus christ, i've never encountered so many total douchebags. at least the nyc show treated him well.

Yeah, i got really bummed out out when i heard the reaction he got at that show, especially since he had such a good time at the one I was at.

The guy is such a great performer, it's too bad a bunch of douches couldn't give him 30minutes of their time.

Americana98
07-13-2009, 09:54 PM
Well, (and I don't know why I'm doing this, because I was in that crowd and I was polite to Frank Turner and was embarrassed by the audience's behavior) I will give a reason why the crowd wasn't nice to Frank Turner. As fantastic as the venue was, their orgnization was terrible. First of all, the concert didn't begin until over 45 minutes after we were let in, (and we were let in 15 minutes late,) and after the first (mediocre) band performed, we had to wait...another 30+ minutes (for some reason) for Frank Turner to walk out with his accoustic guitar to play folk music.

If he went first I think things would have been better, but by that time I think everyone was tired from standing, they just wanted to see The Offspring, and Frank Turner then went on for VERY long. So....yeah. I don't agree with the way the audience reacted but they were impatient for The Offspring and we were kept waiting for way too long.

And I guess that's why the crowd was so insane (in a good way) for The Offspring's show...Dexter called it their most "fun" show in years.

I dont remember seeing that on this site,

If you went to the homepage and scrolled through the "**** is ****** Up Tour" listings, it said "Sayerville, NJ: Offspring, Sum 41, Frank Turner." This was then changed to just "The Offspring, Frank Turner" shortly before the show date but obviously many people didn't know that.....that's why people thought Sum 41 would be there.

keb4588
07-13-2009, 10:19 PM
I think another reason for the horrible reaction to Frank Turner was that so many people are so stubborn and set in their ways and musical tastes. They like rock music, and then see someone walking out with an acoustic guitar and wouldnt give him the time of day, regardless of the fact that the lyrical style and content itself is very similar to The Offspring. I dont think Turner played a single song that wasnt, in one way or another, a "f*ck you" to somebody. He handled himself VERY well when it came to the heckling, and at some points in my opinion, he was VERY subtly throwing everything back in their faces, which I thought was hilarious, because the people giving him shit didnt catch on to the fact that he was basically saying "f*ck you im f*cking staying and your insults are pretty stupid." in a much more polite way. I still think he was done with his set, but since he was being heckled so much, he decided "Well, I'm just gonna play two more songs then The Offspring will be out." I think he was basically heckling back.

My friends and I agreed though that Frank Turner would have been a MUCH better opening act for a band like Flogging Molly. He was a bit out of place with Offspring. But still, I really enjoyed his music.

On the subject of Sum 41, they may have been set to play at SOME point, but if they were they backed out long before the concert. The day tickets went on sale they were not listed on ticketmaster, and I'm 99% sure they were not listed on the offspring's tour page at least a week prior to tickets going on sale.

Americana98
07-14-2009, 12:37 PM
I think another reason for the horrible reaction to Frank Turner was that so many people are so stubborn and set in their ways and musical tastes. They like rock music, and then see someone walking out with an acoustic guitar and wouldnt give him the time of day, regardless of the fact that the lyrical style and content itself is very similar to The Offspring. I dont think Turner played a single song that wasnt, in one way or another, a "f*ck you" to somebody. He handled himself VERY well when it came to the heckling, and at some points in my opinion, he was VERY subtly throwing everything back in their faces, which I thought was hilarious, because the people giving him shit didnt catch on to the fact that he was basically saying "f*ck you im f*cking staying and your insults are pretty stupid." in a much more polite way. I still think he was done with his set, but since he was being heckled so much, he decided "Well, I'm just gonna play two more songs then The Offspring will be out." I think he was basically heckling back.

My friends and I agreed though that Frank Turner would have been a MUCH better opening act for a band like Flogging Molly. He was a bit out of place with Offspring. But still, I really enjoyed his music.

On the subject of Sum 41, they may have been set to play at SOME point, but if they were they backed out long before the concert. The day tickets went on sale they were not listed on ticketmaster, and I'm 99% sure they were not listed on the offspring's tour page at least a week prior to tickets going on sale.

Well maybe they were not listed at Ticketmaster, you might be right about that. I know they were listed here, though, and I know a person who purchased tickets almost specifically because they saw "Sum 41" there. (He didn't end up going, by the way, I think he sold them...) They were definitely taken down but they were listed here at some point. Which I find kind of annoying, but meh...what are you gonna do...

Zion21
07-15-2009, 10:03 AM
Yup, cant find it on ticketmaster. Im going to try calling the ballroom directly who knows.https://tipgnome.com/images/smile1.gif