PDA

View Full Version : I know this has been discussed before but it's staring to grind my gears

PunksKillEmos
07-14-2009, 04:53 PM
Oh America, of course I'm talking about Americana and it having to do with the band's current tour. We all know the set list sucks for the most part. I really think the problem is the lack of variety between albums. The other night in NH The Offspring played WDYGAJ, Pretty Fly, Americana, Have you Ever, Staring at the sun, TKAA, and Walla Walla. So that is 7 songs and about 33% of the entire setlist. Now don't get me wrong It was the best concert I had ever been to, but I left expecting more variety. I think they could limit it to at least 4 songs and everybody would be happy. I'm pretty sure the only song off Co1 played was want you bad, same for Splinter and sadly Ixnay which is my favorite album. Come on guys, spice the setlist up a little!!

bouncingcoles
07-14-2009, 05:02 PM
people are going to give you so much shit for this. but i agree with you. its true that most of the people at the shows only know americana but that doesnt mean they have to play so many songs from it and stick to the singles from the other albums. Basically they are choosing to please the regular people over the hardcore fans who want have a little more bang for their buck. they could easily trade have you ever for a less known song off americana like no brakes or one off ixnay for example. because honestly if they keep playing the same songs every time they tour im going to be slightly more reluctant to see them. although i admit i had a great time on this tour. if they change up the set list a little more its not going to scare everyone off from the shows. it will just show that they have more songs than just whats on the greatest hits album. when they play all the singles it doesnt really leave any reason for someone to go see them again because they saw all the songs they wanted to hear.

RyanSabotage
07-14-2009, 05:12 PM
offspring needs to just play more songs, longer stage time, period

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
07-14-2009, 05:14 PM
the mods are gonna own your ass

jacknife737
07-14-2009, 05:15 PM
The band are populists; the majority of people at the shows would rather hear those songs, than those who wish to hear some more obscure. The concert atmosphere is also a lot better when everyone is into the songs.

I'd love to hear something like I Choose or Dirty Magic get played, but i'm ok with their current setlist, i had an amazing time when i saw them live a few weeks ago. To be fair, the band has been attempting to mix the setlists up every show, since they're giving the audience a chance to vote for two songs to be played every night.

PunksKillEmos
07-14-2009, 05:22 PM

agreed lol

PunksKillEmos
07-14-2009, 05:24 PM
The band are populists; the majority of people at the shows would rather hear those songs, than those who wish to hear some more obscure. The concert atmosphere is also a lot better when everyone is into the songs.

I'd love to hear something like I Choose or Dirty Magic get played, but i'm ok with their current setlist, i had an amazing time when i saw them live a few weeks ago. To be fair, the band has been attempting to mix the setlists up every show, since they're giving the audience a chance to vote for two songs to be played every night.

Yeah I'm not expecting them to play any thing from the first 2 albums but you do put up a good point

Quagmire
07-14-2009, 06:15 PM

I was at the same show as you and I agree it was a kick-ass show but I do see the point others are making. Due to their plans with the next record and getting it out there soon it obviously won't happen but if they came back to our area again this tour I wouldn't go see another show knowing I'm going to get almost exactly the same show. They have a cookie-cutter setlist now where all they have to do is insert the two songs that won the vote and the set is the same every show.

Don't get me wrong this thing they are doing with the vote for songs is an amazing idea. The problem is they are mostly using the same songs for most of the shows. And when you put 2 singles on that list and then another song from an album that they are already playing most of anyway it's not that hard to know how that vote is gonna go.

Little_Miss_1565
07-14-2009, 08:48 PM
We all know the set list sucks for the most part.

I don't know this.

I loved how many songs from Americana were on the set list, but that's also one of my favorite records. I was surprised to hear "Walla Walla," though. And along the lines of what you're talking about, these were probably the same seven songs from Americana that they played the last time I saw them, which was on the Americana tour. I would have liked to hear a little more variety though, but what they did choose to do seems to be working since everyone seems to admit it was an awesome time.

Al Coholic
07-14-2009, 08:58 PM
Yeah I'd consider myself a decent fan of them, and mixing it up would be nice, but honestly I only listen to ignition-Americana. I wouldn't want to hear the other albums live.

The problem you run into is when you go to diversify the setlist to please a minority of hardcore fans, they're split into a million different factions. Some want to hear ignition, others wanna hear ixnay, etc. You're displeasing the majority that want to hear Americana, and probly about half the minority that want it mixed up too.

Americana98
07-14-2009, 10:04 PM
The Offspring play mostly songs from Smash, Americana and (now) Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace because these are the most popular Offspring CD's right now (R and F mostly because it just came out) and they don't want a bored crowd.

It'd be nice to hear a couple from Ignition, Ixnay, and Splinter...hopefully for the next tour, but Americana and Rise and Fall are my 2 favorite Offspring CD's so needless to say I was pretty happy with their setlist.

I'd honestly rather see a bit less from Smash, come to think of it, but that's definitely NOT a view shared by most of the Offspring fanbase so I'll leave that one off to the side, lol.

Smash_Returns
07-14-2009, 10:20 PM
R and F mostly because it just came out

And because its had some of their most successful singles. Single success no longer correlates with album sales. Album hype does.

Americana98
07-14-2009, 10:56 PM
And because its had some of their most successful singles. Single success no longer correlates with album sales. Album hype does.

I guess. It's still sad that R and F is their lowest-selling CD since Ignition. I really hope it goes gold in the US, it deserves to.

nightvision
07-14-2009, 11:27 PM
Yes it has been discussed over and over and OVER again so please just let it be! Threads like these are starting to grind my gears...

Oxygene
07-15-2009, 01:23 AM
Oh America, of course I'm talking about Americana and it having to do with the band's current tour. We all know the set list sucks for the most part. I really think the problem is the lack of variety between albums. The other night in NH The Offspring played WDYGAJ, Pretty Fly, Americana, Have you Ever, Staring at the sun, TKAA, and Walla Walla. So that is 7 songs and about 33% of the entire setlist. Now don't get me wrong It was the best concert I had ever been to, but I left expecting more variety. I think they could limit it to at least 4 songs and everybody would be happy. I'm pretty sure the only song off Co1 played was want you bad, same for Splinter and sadly Ixnay which is my favorite album. Come on guys, spice the setlist up a little!!

For someone whose name is PunksKillEmos you certainly come off as a some whiney emo boy, whos upset 'cause he nicked himself shaving his pussy... :D

Let's let the band do their thing.. if you have observations fine share, but please let's not start up the same bitching and moaning topics over and over again.. they kill real conversation.

Thanks

Little_Miss_1565
07-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Oxy, I think that's unfair -- he's making an observation and he's wording it in a pretty respectful way.

Free?
07-15-2009, 12:17 PM
What Al Coholic said.

ad8
07-15-2009, 01:46 PM

They should just take steroids though, and just play 30 song setlists ;).
:D

I'd also love to hear some Ixnay/Ignition/CO1 songs (or songs off Americana that don't get played like No Brakes or End Of The Line), but I think it's just not possible since the band does not want to destroy their own business. I am sure that they would play a more diverse setlist at a private garden party but not at important concerts/festivals.

Conclair
07-15-2009, 02:18 PM
The Canandaigua show was awesome:
1. Stuff Is Messed Up
2. Bad Habit
3. You're Gonna Go Far, Kid
4. Come Out And Play
5. Walla Walla
6. Have You Ever
7. Staring At The Sun
8. Gone Away (Piano)
9. Kristy, Are You Doing Okay?
10. Can't Repeat
11. Half-Truism
12. Why Don't You Get A Job?
13. Intermission
14. Americana
15. All I Want
16. Pretty Fly
17. Head Around You
18. The Kids Aren't Alright
----Encore----
19. Hammerhead
20. Want You Bad
21. Self-Esteem

21 songs... You really can't complain about variety. It was a really good show. The Saratoga Springs show was a lot shorter:

YGGFK
Bad Habit
Come Out And Play
Kristy, Are You Doing Okay?
Pretty Fly
Staring At The Sun
Americana
Want you Bad
All I Want
Self Esteem

There may have been one or two more in there, but The Offspring wasn't the closing act, Staind was, and they put on a good show too.
I can't bitch, I saw my favorite band TWICE in one month. The Canandaigua show was prolly one of the best show's I've ever seen, The Dropkick's had a sweet show too, and Frank Turner was surprisingly good.

ad8
07-15-2009, 02:24 PM
Whoa, they played Can't Repeat? Nice!

BigFish
07-15-2009, 08:05 PM
I'd like to point out an interesting fact. Why do they not play more songs off the new album? We're getting 7 Americana songs a night, and only 5 maximum from the new album. This is the SHIT IS FUCKED UP TOUR not the Americana 2.0 tour. I want to hear stuff like Trust in You, Takes Me Nowhere, Nothingtown and Let's Hear It for Rock Bottom live. Now, there's a good chance I'll never hear those live because when the new album comes out, its gonna be the 3 singles from that album and 7 songs from Americana and 4 from Rise and Fall.

I saw these guys 2 days in a row in late June and they were the times of my life. Yet I was still disappointed I didn't get more new songs and more old songs as well. I've heard all the Americana songs 1000 times but never the new songs or something off like Ignition such as LAPD or something.

I get they're appealing to the masses but they should really do something for the hardcore fan that isn't just on the west coast...I'm in Ohio wtf am I supposed to do? It's just not fair.

_Lost_
07-15-2009, 08:36 PM
We all know the set list sucks for the most part.

I don't know this.

YGGFK gets played here at least as much as Pretty Fly did. Its amazing! I hardly go a day without hearing it on the radio. Today I heard it and Gotta Get Away on the radio. Fantastic!

I can understand where you guys are coming from to a certain extent (and I'd like to commend you for being relatively polite in your wording), but I like the fact that when they play the songs from Americana and Smash (and want you bad, yggfk, simu, cgmhay, etc), the energy and vibe of the crowd is just so damn awesome! When they play stuff that people don't know as well, of course the more "hardcore" fans blow fuses (you should've heard the guy standing behind me when they played the intro to Genocide last night), but the people who aren't as familiar with their complete discography (though still having a good time) just kind of bob along. There is nothing like hearing the crowd putting in a damn honest effort to overpower the band by singing along. Its good stuff.

Now that I've said that, I feel obligated to say that I would kill to hear End of the Line or Defy You live.... Multiple times if necessary.

jacknife737
07-15-2009, 08:49 PM
I'd like to point out an interesting fact. Why do they not play more songs off the new album?

I'd love it if they played Trust In You and Nothingtown, or any of the other RAFRAG songs live on a regular basis, but Greg addressed a similar question to yours in a recent interview. He said the band would like to play some more songs from the album, but thanks to downloading people are only really familiar with a few songs from it, mostly the songs that get played on the radio.

OffspringFreakess
07-15-2009, 08:56 PM

i agree with this. i think they DO need a little more variety, though. but i'm happy they played alot of shit from Americana, because that was the album that got my hype about them started. but that's just my opinion. i know there are alot of people who have gotten into them from previous albums.

i honestly think they should break out some Ignition shit.

Ixnay is my favorite album, though. so i wished they played some more from that besides the "hits".

but the offspring playing all of the Americana stuff, it brought back so many memories of me being a kid jumping around in my room air-guitaring to it. so Americana hits home for me.

Conclair
07-15-2009, 09:20 PM
When they play stuff that people don't know as well, of course the more "hardcore" fans blow fuses (you should've heard the guy standing behind me when they played the intro to Genocide last night), but the people who aren't as familiar with their complete discography (though still having a good time) just kind of bob along. There is nothing like hearing the crowd putting in a damn honest effort to overpower the band by singing along. Its good stuff.

+1
Bad Habit was incredible live for that reason. Same with Americana, and TKAA.

Harleyquiiinn
07-15-2009, 11:02 PM
I mostly agree with waht Lost said but I think there are some wrong assumptions in that discussion though. it seems when I read the messages that:

1) People are unable to appreciate a song they hear for the 1st time or don't know well live
2) When energy is gone it never comes back
3) the crowd that comes to the concert never heard anything more than Smash, Americana and the songs of RAFRAG on the radio.

About the 1, I think it's completely untrue. People will maybe not jump and sing along like they would do in another song, doesn't mean that they won't appreciate the song.

About the 2, I understand how better it must be to have a crowd that reacts and sings and all, but it doesn't mean that if they sing an old song like... I don't know... Dirty Magic, in the middle of the set, the crowd will just sit down and starting to talk about politics for the rest of the show, it just means that there is one song where people will maybe get a little less excited (which won't mean that they don't appreciate the song, see the 1)... I think that if they play Kids aren't Alright just right after it, the crowd might get crazy again.

About the 3, I read Greg K.'s interview and I'd like to precise that people only download the songs on the radio because of legal downloading :D People on Bit Torrent usually downloads the whole album... of course that doesn't make it right lol
But I am so not sure that people paying an expensive tickets (Disclaimer: not meant to launch a new war about ticket prices) to go to a show, that lasts quite a long time, in a sweaty pit, are Ofsspring fans who know only Smash, Americana and a little bit of the rest. Of course, people are more familiar with these albums, they know the songs by heart because they listened to them so many times, so they are just going to jump and sing along but I wouldn't say that they don't know the other albums...and won't get excited too, just not the same kind of excitement

That said, I don't care that much, I just want to see them live, and I'm going to a Festival show anyway :D

_Lost_
07-15-2009, 11:28 PM
About the 1, I think it's completely untrue. People will maybe not jump and sing along like they would do in another song, doesn't mean that they won't appreciate the song.

About the 2, blah blah blah

(3)But I am so not sure that people paying an expensive tickets etc etc

In response to 1, I haven't seen anyone say they won't appreciate it. I've been to plenty of shows where I didn't know the songs and still have a great time, but its not the same as knowing all the words and being able to scream the words till you have no voice left. Its not really a matter thats open for speculation because I've seen, 3 times now, the change in the crowd when a lesser known song is played.

2, yeah the energy will come back, but I was merely commenting on the change. A show with hit after hit after hit is like intense sex. It keeps building and building until it peaks right at the end and then they throw out picks with offspringish artwork on them to the crowd. Playing a lesser known song is like taking a bathroom break in the middle.

3, hahahaha! For one, there were plenty of people there that wanted to see Sum 41 with the Offspring as an adder. Two, a lot of people go to shows for bands they like but aren't absolutely crazy about or they go because their friends/boyfriend/girlfriend are going. I saw a lot of people near me that knew the hits but didn't know the other songs and just bobbed along to the beat.

findout5
07-16-2009, 02:08 AM
I'm down for more variety too, especially songs from the new one and less from Americana.

Outerspaceman21
07-16-2009, 09:08 AM
I would say stop bitching about the setlist. Begger can't be choosers. At least you got to see the band. I spent $60 on my tickets only to get into a car accident less then a mile from the concert venue. I don't care if they played all the song I hated, at least I would have gotten to see the band.

Of course, thats what I would say, but I'd rather go play WOW.

ThunderPX
07-16-2009, 11:08 AM
Personally I think they could chuck Intermission for, well, an actual song.

Apart from that, I've seen loads of bands where I didn't know most of the songs and afterwards I thought "Fuck, I need to get their albums." They could probably put in a few energetic-but-lesser-known songs without alienating everyone; take the ones Dexter can't really sing well live (like Trust in You) off the list and you've already got a smaller amount of potential songs to add.

Or they could just release the "new" version of Dirty Magic as a one-off single and play it at every show and most people would probably shut up. :P

EDIT:
Seriously though, I get why they would leave out a lot of RAFRAG songs. I could personally do without Fix You and Rise And Fall, and most people on this board seem to think the same way. Then there's A Lot Like Me and Rock Bottom, which are sort of slower, deeper songs. I could understand why those wouldn't go over well with the crowd, especially with A Lot Like Me's really damn hard vocal line. Then there's Trust In You, which Dexter couldn't pull off the one time they played it.

So you really just end up with Takes Me Nowhere and Nothingtown.

EDIT2:
That said, I'm seeing the band live for the first time in August, and it's a festival, so I'll be happy with the setlist either way.

_Lost_
07-16-2009, 11:26 AM
Intermission gives them a couple minutes to take a breather. From what I read in an interview, it sounds like that's part of the reason they've been doing Gone Away like they have. Let them have their two minutes to chill and grab a fresh cold one.

KrispyNotKrunchy
07-16-2009, 11:47 AM
The thing is, their biggest hits (i.e. Pretty Fly, Self-Esteem, TKAA, YGGFK, etc) need to be played because that's what 90% of people want to see, and when you consider they are allowed an average of 20 songs, and that they have around 27 radio singles, AND still play lesser known songs, I think they're doing the best that can be expected. I was at the Charlotte show 2 nights ago, and they played Genocide and Meaning of Life because they were on the list of songs people voted for, and that was cool and new to me, but you can only ask so much of them IMO.