social

satirical vs. metaphorical

brothadave79
07-15-2009, 11:32 AM
satirical

upbeat vs dark

Rag Doll
07-15-2009, 11:34 AM
Ok, can we stick to the topic at hand and not create another "game" topic? Thank you.

dff_punk
07-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Allright. People should not put "vs." into thread names... so tempting. To be on topic, I think the majority of Offspring songs are serious and only some of them are funny. So, I think the serious tone suits them better. But when they throw a funny one here and there, it just spices up the whole thing :)

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
07-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Ok, can we stick to the topic at hand and not create another "game" topic? Thank you.

thank you very much. NOW VOTE
you fans should care about what kind of attitude the offspring use

randman21
07-15-2009, 11:37 AM
Haha, can do. I was kinda poking at how fast this became a "song vs song" style thread.

I like the funny songs, but more because they are usually a commentary on whatever Dexter thinks is wrong with our culture. I love that kind of approach to art.

EDIT: I should say that I like the funny songs, but I enjoy the very dark, introspective material immensely. "Dammit, I Changed Again" is the prime example.

m.offspring.r
07-15-2009, 11:37 AM
maybe talk about serious business with funny style!

nieh
07-15-2009, 11:38 AM
I have no problem with the band being funny provided they're not just churning out a bunch of novelty songs (i.e. a good amount of tracks on Splinter). A lot of the band's sociopolitical songs tend to have a lot of sarcasm and humor in them, but could never really be classified as just joke songs.

The Search Button
07-15-2009, 11:38 AM
both

holland25
07-15-2009, 11:42 AM
Funny .

Rag Doll
07-15-2009, 11:45 AM

A lot of the band's sociopolitical songs tend to have a lot of sarcasm and humor in them, but could never really be classified as just joke songs.

exactly. something like SIFU, for example. a serious subject (shit is, indeed, fucked up), but with a lot of humor in it...it makes you laugh *and* makes you think a bit.

Free?
07-15-2009, 11:54 AM
Serious and funny are two sides of the same coin. I can't and don't want to separate as there is no album without seriousness or satire, both are always there walking hand-to-hand and intertwine very often. That's what The Offspring is.

renato piquette
07-15-2009, 12:02 PM
i like both,but i really miss the bandīs humour cus at rafrag the only "funny" song is "simu"

brothadave79
07-15-2009, 12:05 PM
I didn't like "The Worst Hangover Ever" because it was trying to be funny but pointless. Their funny songs are not good unless there is a serious point behind them.

On the flipside, I have never criticized any of their songs for being "too serious." So I'm pretty sure I think it's more important to me that their songs have a point than make me laugh.

Edit: More to the point - "Funny" at the cost of being "serious" = bad. "Serious" at the cost of being "funny" = not bad.

renato piquette
07-15-2009, 12:07 PM
well,songs like "all i want" or "coap" are funny,but with serious topics,i think thatīs the way ot should be

Rutegard
07-15-2009, 12:30 PM

exactly. a serious subject but with a lot of humor in it...it makes you laugh *and* makes you think a bit.

Serious and funny are two sides of the same coin both are always there walking hand-to-hand and intertwine very often. That's what The Offspring is.

i do agree with wut they said!

Blitz!
07-15-2009, 12:37 PM
I have no problem with the band being funny provided they're not just churning out a bunch of novelty songs (i.e. a good amount of tracks on Splinter). A lot of the band's sociopolitical songs tend to have a lot of sarcasm and humor in them, but could never really be classified as just joke songs.

I second this ... voted for serious, funny does work but I find to much of it makes the songs get old very quickly.

Outerspaceman21
07-15-2009, 02:08 PM
I like both

RyanSabotage
07-15-2009, 03:27 PM
offspring sould keep it fast, dark, satire, and honest

yet they keep it real even in songs like pretty fly for a white guy and disguise the meaning in a pop-catch song, they still do a good job overall
but play faster, please?

Les Paul Girl
07-15-2009, 04:46 PM
I like both, but I think this is so true...

JohnnyNemesis
07-15-2009, 05:16 PM
I agree with nieh and Rag Doll, I prefer a combination of both. SIFU, Hit That, Walla Walla...those are funny songs that still approach serious issues. Very cool.

I don't usually like when they do purely joke-y stuff, because I don't think my sense of humor jives with theirs as well in those areas :P

KHWHD
07-15-2009, 06:05 PM
I also like both, but prefer funny more. :D

SMASHedTHEignition
07-15-2009, 10:50 PM
but if i had to chose id say more songs taht arent serious but songs like get it right and stuff, its not sserious or funy, its just a good song

Offspring-Junkie
07-16-2009, 11:00 AM
I prefer the serious The Offspring, but jokes are welcome as well.
When you're in prison don't turn the other way...

Rutegard
07-16-2009, 11:07 AM
as far as i can see, there is an option missing in this poll...too bad...cause i really wanted to vote ya know?

07-16-2009, 11:18 AM
which one is it?

Rutegard
07-16-2009, 11:20 AM
which one is it?

both! ................

The_BlackSwordsman
07-16-2009, 11:21 AM
I can't vote. I like both. For me, The Offspring is that. Serious, sarcastic, funny, and true. The funny and serious sides both complete each other. It wouldn't be the Offspring if it wasn't for that. :)

07-16-2009, 11:32 AM
I can't vote. I like both. For me, The Offspring is that. Serious, sarcastic, funny, and true. The funny and serious sides both complete each other. It wouldn't be the Offspring if it wasn't for that. :)

true. but rafrag is full of serious, dark, songs like half truism, and A Lot Like Me.
so maybe this is another phase that they are going through so thats why this poll was made: to voice your opinion on serious or funny. the offspring have songs with both serious and funny in it, like SIFU.

Rutegard
07-16-2009, 01:10 PM
id vote for the third option:

"can't decide"

LOL

mrs_hollandova
07-16-2009, 01:15 PM
mrs_hollandova voted for F U N N Y because funny Offspring is the real Offspring. Thank God they are not like U2 or stuff like that... save the planet... are you human... bla bla bla

jacknife737
07-16-2009, 01:51 PM
I agree with nieh and Rag Doll, I prefer a combination of both. SIFU, Hit That, Walla Walla...those are funny songs that still approach serious issues. Very cool.

I don't usually like when they do purely joke-y stuff, because I don't think my sense of humor jives with theirs as well in those areas :P

Going to add my vote to this option as well.

It's great when they're sarcastic/seriously simultaneously. I'd rather hear something like Cool to Hate or Stuff Is Messed Up than When You're In Prison. And if the band was totally serious/dramatic 100% of the time, it would be kind of a drag.

gabbag
07-16-2009, 02:00 PM
Yea like other people have said I like the songs where they are sarcastic and serious at the same time, like when it is about something more serious but the song is funny and satirical or sarcastic or whatever. Yea there needs to be an option for that in the poll, something like "sarcastically serious Offspring"

zsk
07-16-2009, 03:02 PM
the serious....
but they should be a little funny,too!

Into The Night
07-16-2009, 03:39 PM
I'm with Rutegard: both are good. And they should continue to make both.sometimes I just want their funny stuff to make me laugh, and sometimes I need the true to bring me down to earth...

lucys_bad_habit
07-16-2009, 03:55 PM
like both as well...
n it depends on my mood which one im about to choose

Llamas
07-16-2009, 05:30 PM
I didn't like "The Worst Hangover Ever" because it was trying to be funny but pointless. Their funny songs are not good unless there is a serious point behind them.

On the flipside, I have never criticized any of their songs for being "too serious." So I'm pretty sure I think it's more important to me that their songs have a point than make me laugh.

Edit: More to the point - "Funny" at the cost of being "serious" = bad. "Serious" at the cost of being "funny" = not bad.

Oh man, you've never made fun of overly serious "Smash", for being a song about not conforming? I do it. :P

Pretty Fly, Cool to Hate, Burn it Up, SIMU - all awesome... but I can't stand Worst Hangover, Original Prankster, Prison...

I honestly don't think joke/serious makes a difference for me. It's not about the lyrics, it's about the song structure. The band puts out serious and sarcastic songs that are amazing, but also some on both ends that suck.

SelfEsteem94
07-16-2009, 05:54 PM
funny is a LOT better,
their serious stuff is alright,
but i like funny a lot better.

NoodlesIsTheBomb
07-17-2009, 04:41 AM
i love their serious stuff better, i mean the funny stuff is great, but i prefer the serious.....and i was gonna start writing my favorite songs then, but it would have been every song haha...love em all :D

tayluhhx3
07-18-2009, 01:29 AM
it's really hard to choose. they wouldn't be the offspring if they weren't a balance of both, ya know? i love listening to the funnier stuff to laugh my ass off but it's good to hear the srious stuff that makes you think.

SuperKnux
07-18-2009, 02:20 AM
Man, I remember the threads years ago that everyone complained about the joke songs and that Dexter should stop writing them. Now that we got an album full of darker material, I am starting to see people missing the joke songs. lol

Anyway, I perfer Offy being more darker (that can go both ways, funny and obviously serious). Songs like "Worst Hangover Ever" and "Don't Pick It Up" fail a bit because they are strictly funny tracks instead of really "saying something", ya know?

F@ BANKZ
07-18-2009, 04:30 AM
Serious, though naturally I enjoy a balance.

-Revolution-
07-19-2009, 07:49 PM
Mmmm ...I think that both are essential things that I do not want an Offspring entirely seriously (so they can draw their videos on youtube :D) or highly amusing And do not add as much as i have before

Beaker
07-20-2009, 12:34 AM
depends what mood i am in, :)