PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone question

KHWHD
07-19-2009, 06:59 PM
I bought a Samsung Gravity (T-456) about a month ago. When I purchased the phone, I wanted to make sure that I could put my OWN ring tones onto my phone, and also my OWN videos. I've managed to put songs onto my MP3player, no problems.

I called Samsung on Fri. and they told me that I had to buy a memory card in order to do any of the things I want to do by putting on any of MY stuff onto the phone. I'm like what? The idiot at Rogers never mentioned anything about that to me.

So my problem is that the songs are saying that they're mp3 files, but at the end of the song it says this; Spare Me The Details_.dm

Ok so what the fuck? Am I suppose to convert the ringtones from mp3 to this .dm? I've been fucking around with this all night and not getting anyway with this. And from what I can find, there isn't any possible way to do just that.

And it's the same for videos. Anyone know anything about putting the videos on? The problem is is that there's like 10 different folders after folders and it's really confusing. Fuck, never had this much problem with my old phone. Thanks in advance if anyone can help, appreciate it.

Outerspaceman21
07-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Whats wrong with a normal ring?

Sorry, I just don't like the whole custom ring tone thing. Honestly, a cell phone in which I can call people and have them call me would suffice. I could care less about all these other bullshit features like internet connections and custom ring tones.

mrconeman
07-19-2009, 07:07 PM
So wait, did you buy a memory card, and they still won't work, or you haven't bought a memory card yet?

Because, yes, it's true, you need a memory card to put your own files onto a Samsung phone, you can't transfer them to the phones memory or they won't be able to be used as say, your ringtone or whatever.

Stupid, I know.

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
07-19-2009, 07:13 PM
I bought a Samsung Gravity (T-6005)
fixed.

on serious note, find an audio converter and cover your file into .dm
for your video, find what format your phone plays and then find a video converter and convert it into the format

if you don't know how to put your videos into your phone, find the manual and tutorials online

KHWHD
07-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Yes I do have the memory card. I can see the 1 ringtone I made on the memory card under Ring Tunes. But I have no idea how to get it into downloaded ringtones. It doesn't give you and option to move it into that folder on the actual phone.

the_offsprings_monkey
07-21-2009, 04:12 AM
Whoever sold you that phone is an idiot, when I was working for Carphone Warehouse, the first thing I'd advise someone to do is buy a memory card for all their music etc. An you don't need a memory card to put music an videos on the old Samsung I got, I can do it via usb and Samsung PC Suit. Although the built in memory is somewhat small, I can still have a few mobile videos on it. But in all honesty, I think Samsungs are a waste of space, Nokia N Series and LG Touch Series are best in my opinion.

KHWHD
07-21-2009, 06:25 AM
Tell me about it. I talked to a guy at Samsung yesterday and he told me that he's pretty sure that I can't put my own made ringtones on the phone after they told me where I bought it that I could. And I still have no idea how to put videos on the phone either. Keeps saying there isn't enough room and it isn't the right format even though the memory card is already in it.

nameless
07-21-2009, 02:29 PM
i would have thought if you went into the menu where you select the ringtone you could just browse the other menus and select the song you wanted. i dont actually have the phone so i am just guessing though!

Free?
07-21-2009, 03:13 PM
I've spent 20 mins in google trying to get a solution, but I didn't find anything really useful. Finding mp3-dm converter isn't as easy as it seems. My Samsung D-500 is like 5 years old and it reads mp3's just fine. It really sucks major ass that your newer model doesn't support such file format. Did you try a "help" menu (F1 is usually a default key) in your phone's program on PC? Maybe there is some option to export the mp3's with converting them into needed .dm. If no, then you can go to the store where you bought it, find that guy who assured you that everything will be easy and make him show you how to do it.

ConspiracyofMegs
07-21-2009, 03:41 PM
When I got my phone with Rogers, I couldn't figure out how to make my songs as ring tones so I called and they said you can't and that you can only buy the ring tones from the Rogers website...

_Lost_
07-21-2009, 09:41 PM
Most phones nowadays won't let you make/import your own ringtones, because the service provider wants you to buy theirs. I've got an LG touch. I'm really frustrated with how they have these damn things set up. I can import songs to "My Sounds" with bluetooth, but then I have to play them one at a time and its all very finicky and often quits mid song, plus it won't let you scroll through songs while one is playing. In order to put them into the music player on here, I have to use software that came with the phone (of course its not mac compatible). And when all is said and done, I can't use "My Sounds" as ringtones. Remeber a few years back when so many people seemed to have phones that would let them record themselves talking or whatever and then use that as a ringtone? Why can't mine do that?

Utterly stupid. I pay lots extra for the damn phone and they still only give me the option of buying ringtones if I don't want the ones that come on it already.

KHWHD
07-21-2009, 09:48 PM
Haha Karin. The guy I was talking to at Samsung told me that because my phone has a recorder on it (voice) I can play my music through my DVD player (on my TV) and record it through my phone - then use that as a ringtone. What an idiot.

_Lost_
07-21-2009, 09:50 PM
That was a shortlived feature of cell phones it seems, but they don't generally work like that anymore. I've had a lot of different phones in the last four years and not one would do that.

replicaprada
07-22-2009, 06:27 PM
Thanks for your sharingThanks for sharing this useful information. It's great.

taux credit auto (http://simulationcreditauto.net) - Taux crédit auto. Comparatif des
offres! Les meilleurs taux crédit auto sont sur le net !

KHWHD
07-22-2009, 06:34 PM
Thanks for your sharingThanks for sharing this useful information. It's great.

taux credit auto (http://simulationcreditauto.net) - Taux crédit auto. Comparatif des
offres! Les meilleurs taux crédit auto sont sur le net !

Come again?

_Lost_
07-22-2009, 08:44 PM
I'm going out on a limb here, but my vote goes to spam account.